- Text Size +

 

 

Ten-year-old Nick sat down on a chair in the dressing room, playing with his rubber ball, when his friend, Brent, walked over. “Are you ready?” Brent asked his friend who does not even felt nervous about this whole thing. While the other kids were busy and anxiously waiting for their turn in the talent show, Nick is just on a corner – acting as if he did not care about the whole thing. He joined the talent show in school but for Brent, it seems like his friend was not even willing to join here in the first place.

“Of course, I’m ready. I already got my lines memorized for the song.” Nick stood up and looked around.

Brent drew a deep breath. He got it. His friend is only doing this just to get his father’s attention. He’s always trying hard for it and Brent knew how his friend could get so devastated once he failed. “The gang’s all here,” he gave Nick an assuring smile just to ease his impending disappointment.

“Great, they always are.” Nick tried to smile. “Dad’s not going to be here again.” He bit his lower lip. “I can understand if Mom won’t be here because she’s looking after grandma who is sick but Dad…” He couldn’t hide the disappointment now. “He’s always at work.” He brushed off the hair from his face and sat back down on the chair. “This is useless. There’s no point in going onstage if my Dad’s not going to be there to watch me.”

“Don’t say that, Nick. You’re already here. Maybe if we can send the videotape to your father…” Brent tried but Nick shakes his head.

“Hi, Nick.”

Both boys turned and saw Audrey, Nick’s younger sister. “Oh, hi. What are you doing here?”

“I’m here to support my brother.” Six-year-old Audrey jumped excitedly. Brent smiled amusingly at the little girl and looked up to see a big bulk of a man stepping behind her. He recognized Jim, his friend’s bodyguard. At their young age, his friends were already entitled to a security person as they belonged to a wealthy clan. Their father is a powerful and rich media mogul. “I’m so excited when Jim allowed me to go here.”

Jim looked at Nick. “Is there any problem, young man?” He felt that he’s not only a bodyguard to these kids but he’s also their nanny. Their mother, Barbra, trusted him so much for that. And being with these kids for a long time now, he seemed to know more about them a lot – probably more than their parents did.

“I’m fine, Jim.” Nick stood up. “Wish me luck.” He shook hands with Brent and hugged both Audrey and Jim. He couldn’t do anything for his situation now. His father failed him again. He doubt if he can trust him again with another chance. He’s always away and it’s frustrating that he couldn’t do anything about it. It was as if his father never prioritized his family. It seems like he doesn’t even care about him and Audrey and Nick hates him for that. He can never understand his father.