- Text Size +

 

 

“Yeah, dumbass. You better continue mixing it or else, the pie wouldn’t be done right.” Nick retorted as AJ whined.

“Remember that I’m only doing this for the sake of solidarity and in memory of our father,” AJ said through gritted teeth. The mixer broke down earlier and it was his fault. They didn’t know what he did to mess up with the mixer and broke it down. And so, the brothers agreed to let him mix the dough while Nick instructed others on how to prepare the other ingredients for the apple pie.

“Yeah, right. Whatever,” Nick smirked. He’s actually glad that they let him help them in making something out of the fruits they took from the grove. He felt belonged. But he won’t let them know that fact. He has an image to protect, so to say. Howie came from the kitchen stockroom with another two boxes of flour and AJ groaned upon seeing that.

“Hey, it wasn’t my fault that you broke the mixer.” Howie chuckled. He placed the boxes on top of the working area. He opened the first box and he must have pulled the plastic container all the way that he messed up the flour all over the place. “Oops.”

Brian eyes widened. He had never seen such a messy kitchen and it was an effortless result from all of them. “That’s just nasty, Howie!” He gave out a mischievous grin as he grabbed a handful of flour in his hands and tossed a few to Howie and AJ. Nick saw what Brian did. His jaws dropped at what his brothers have done. They began messing around with his work. He turned when Audrey threw a handful of flour on him.

“Oh, this is war!” Nick laughed as he retaliated. Audrey screamed as her brothers showered her with flour. Soon enough, the kitchen is a mess, with the flour all over the place. They already forgot about the pie they’re making. Everyone was laughing so hard.

“What is going on here?”

Audrey answered the question with a handful of flour thrown to the newcomer and later realized what she’s done. Everyone stopped and turned to the tall man. Audrey gasped as she looked up at him and tried to stop herself from giggling. The man’s thick eyebrows are now covered with flour.

“You must be Kevin.” Howie was the first one who spoke. He tried to offer his hand for a handshake but stopped when he realized that he’s full of flour. He shakes his head.

Brian bit his lower lip. So, this is Kevin, their eldest brother. “I’ll race you to the pool!” He said instead and ran out of the kitchen through the back door. Audrey and AJ followed behind, leaving Howie and Nick with Kevin.

“Sorry about the mess. We’re just making pies.” Howie tried to smile.

Kevin nodded, dusting the flour off of him. “It’s alright. I see that you’ve bonded while I’m not here. By the way, I’m Kevin.” He shook hands with them.

“Howie.”

“Bonded? Not really. I’m Nick.”

The eldest man turned to Nick. “Finally, I met you. Dad’s famous son. I only read you in the papers.”

Nick face reddened. “Yeah, that was me.” He sighed as he looked around.

“The place was a mess,” Howie said. Nick realized that being the one nearest Kevin’s age, Howie can adjust easily with their eldest brother. “We’re sorry about what Audrey did to you. That’s our sister. The other two who ran away were Brian and AJ. Brian is the blonde one and AJ is the tattooed guy.” Howie added.

Kevin only nodded.

Howie turned to Nick. “Does he have a room, Nick?” The youngest only nodded. He brushed off the flour from his clothes then went out, calling the butler. Howie smiled to Kevin. “Uh, that’s Nick, the famous son. Follow us.” He went ahead of Kevin out of the kitchen.



~~~



Kevin watched his brothers and sister eat. He felt awkward as they appointed him to sit at the head of the table, particularly by AJ. That young one got so much energy in his body and he talks a lot. Kevin noticed him being so fond of Audrey. He watched as AJ played his role being the big brother to Audrey very well and he was amused.

He turned to where Nick is sitting, exchanging sarcastic remarks with AJ. He saw their youngest brother frowned when he took his seat. If Nick got a problem with the dining position, Kevin doesn’t care. It’s just too childish to argue about it. He didn’t come here to fight with his brothers. He actually had second thoughts on coming here that’s why he came a day later. He didn’t see any point on spending five months with these five strangers and ‘bond’ with them – as the lawyer carefully put it that way. He felt that he’s in some reality show where they are here for their father’s inheritance. He hated this. But circumstances called for him to go here and live in this big house for five months. He needed money to save his farm. He needed money to pay land tax, among other things. He talked with the bank before he left home and requested to wait for him for five months, giving them the guarantee that he’ll pay the bank in full by then.

He frowned as he looked at Nick. He didn’t like the way this young man spends his money. He didn’t know how important it was to other people while he, on the other hand, spends a lot like there’s no tomorrow. Nick should learn some lessons in life. If their father didn’t teach him how, Kevin will make it his mission for five months to teach his brother a lesson.

There was silence in the dining room after Howie called for AJ and Nick to stop their bickering. Kevin saw the silent exchange of glares from the younger two and glanced at Howie. The second eldest continued eating. This one has an angelic face but Kevin knew better than to trust Howie. He can feel the mystery surrounding the man and he felt he couldn’t trust him easily. Howie is the silent-but-dangerous type.

“Why are you late?” Brian asked him, interrupting his thoughts. He raised an eyebrow. He didn’t know why he felt he likes this man.

“I walked.” It was his only reply. He couldn’t tell them the reason.

Nick laughed. “I knew it. The farmer took a walk.” Kevin silently glared at the blonde guy beside Brian.

“Oh, would you please act mature sometimes?” AJ snapped. “You’re so arrogant.”

“I’m not,” Nick laughed. “Anyway, what should we expect from a country guy like Kevin?” he chuckled. He glanced at their eldest brother.

“Nick…” Audrey warned her brother when she saw the dark look from Kevin.

“It’s okay. He’s right. I’m a country guy.” Kevin said. He intended only to smile at Audrey. “It’s my first time in an airplane too.” He received weird looks from them, except Brian. “Yes, lucky you. I’m must be the first person you met telling you about my first plane ride.”

“It’s alright. It’s my first time to see the ocean although never those close. I saw it from my view on the airplane.” Brian seconded. Others were just silent. Kevin finished his meal. He couldn’t take it any longer to be in the same room with them. Everyone turned when he pushed his chair back and without a word, left the dining room.

“Is it really your first time to see the ocean?” Nick asked Brian.

“No.” Brian glared at him then continued eating. Oh, this kid is so arrogant. Brian hates the way he treated Kevin and looked down on him just because he’s a farmer.