- Text Size +

 

 

Nick didn’t saw Audrey around the house, so did his brothers. They won’t talk to each other and no one wanted to say anything to find Audrey together. He’s beginning to get worried of his sister. She’s still young, even at eighteen. She’s naïve as she almost grew up in the boarding school and protected from the negativity of the outside world. What if somebody saw her and tried to come to her? He couldn’t bear to think of anything to happen to Audrey. He might go crazy if something happens to her.

He saw Kevin coming down the grand staircase and all dressed up. “I’m going to look for Audrey at the town.” The eldest said.

“I’ll go with you.” Nick said. Kevin didn’t reply. They turned when Howie, Brian and AJ said that they’d like to go too. Together, they walked out of the house and towards the large gates of the estate. Audrey brought the car with her so they will take the public transportation to go around town to look for her. When they reached the street, Kevin started to talk.

“Where do you think she’d go?”

Nick racked his brains for the answer. He actually doesn’t know much about his sister. He bit his lower lip. What kind of a big brother is he? “She’s young and naïve so I guess she won’t be going around the city that much. She’ll find some hotel where she can stay for the meantime.” He replied. He looked at his older brothers. All five of them are wearing a cap and it still won’t conceal the bruises they have from each other earlier.

“I can’t believe that she left without anyone of us with her,” AJ muttered.

“You weren’t able to go after her because you’re too busy hitting me!” Howie smacked the back of AJ’s neck. The younger one is about to retaliate but the other three stopped him.

“Let’s stop this and look for Audrey, okay? This is our fault.” Brian glared. He walked ahead of them. The others followed and not really knowing where to start looking for Audrey.



~~~



Everyone rushed towards the door when they heard a car stopped in front of the mansion. They couldn’t find Audrey. It’s almost midnight and no one has any plans to sleep either. It frustrated them that it’s their fault why Audrey ran away. They admitted to that.

They saw Oscar, the house butler, closing the door after Audrey got in. The old man puts on a cotton coat over her shoulders to keep her warm.

“Audrey…” Nick tried to call out and bit his lower lip. Audrey looked at her brothers.

“How did it go? Did you prove something to yourselves, huh?”

The five men were just staring at her. There was an awkward silence as each tried to think of what to say something to her. Audrey shakes her head. She’s still pissed off. She started to climb up the grand staircase. “We’re sorry.” She heard AJ said. She turned around. They were all looking at her.

“Don’t tell that to me. Tell that to each other.” She stood there and waited.

The five men looked at each other. They didn’t talk to each other for the entire day. They didn’t even try to make amends with each other. Kevin took the initiative and extended his hand. “I’m sorry if I hit you earlier, guys.”

Howie takes the hand first and shakes it. “I’m sorry, Kev.” He turned to AJ. “I’m sorry, AJ. I was wrong there.”

AJ nodded. He drew a deep breath. “Uh, I’m sorry too. I shouldn’t have said things that hurt you” He looked up when Nick patted him on the shoulders.

“Sorry, bro.” Nick said to him and to the others, as well. “Especially that I’m the most snob person here.”

Brian bit his lower lip. “Yeah, I’m at fault too. Sorry, guys.” They shook hands with each other. When they turned towards Audrey, she’s gone.



~~~



“We’ve got mail!” Brian yelled after the butler gave him a brown envelope. He was amused as he saw his brothers and sister started coming out from all corners of the house after his announcement. They all gathered at the foot of the grand staircase. After that ‘fight’ episode some nights ago, they started to go along with each other again. It was hard for the men, of course, but subconsciously, they’re doing this for their sister.

“Open it. Come on. Where did it come from?” Nick said impatiently.

Brian glared at him when Nick tried to snatch it. What an impatient kid! “Shut up, Nick.” He turned to the envelope in hand. “Well, this came from Atty. Kiefer.” He opened the mail and takes out pieces of papers. He began reading it silently then took a glance to them. “Uh, is this some challenge or what? I’m beginning to think that we’re on a reality show.” He glanced around for possible hidden cameras.

Howie sighed. “What does it say?” He takes the papers from him and read it.

“The papers were addressed individually to us. Take one which has your name on it.” Brian said and took his own copy. The others followed. Nick looked at his own paper then crumpled it in his fist. He glared at them when they turned in question and then he went up to his room.

Audrey looked at her brothers and bit her lower lip. She suppressed the tears threatening to fall and she, too, immediately went upstairs to her room.

“What’s wrong with those two?” AJ asked. He didn’t look at his own copy. He hates melodrama and that’s probably what their father had indicated in his letters for them. He went out of the house. Howie, on the other hand, silently went upstairs as well. Brian did, too.

Kevin watched everyone disappear in front of him. He never thought that the issue of their father’s death is still very sensitive for everyone and they’re just trying to hide the fact that they were still in mourning, that despite the circumstances of their existence, they care for their father after all. That’s the common thing among them. He did, too. Although he doesn’t know Geoffrey well, his mother is responsible enough to tell him about the father he never met. He glanced down at the letter in his hand and went to sit at the steps of the grand staircase.


‘Dear Kevin,
I hope this letter arrives in time for your high school graduation. I regret for not having been there for you, not having been there to be the father you’re expecting me to be. Things are not as easy as it is but I want you to know that I love you. I love you very much. You’ve been in my thoughts ever since you were born. I am so proud for having you as my son. They told me that you did well in school and you wanted to pursue college. I wanted to give you that opportunity and I hope that it’s not yet late for me to do that. I will give you the instructions that you will need…’