- Text Size +

 

 

It’s been silent during dinner that night but nobody mind about it. It’s better that way. No one even opened up about the mail that each one had received earlier. No one wants to talk about it.

Kevin looked around and cleared his throat. “Where’s Nick?”

Audrey shrugged. “He borrowed the car from me, said it’s really important. I don’t want to give it to him at first but he insisted, telling me that he won’t be able to sleep if he failed to go to some restaurant in town.” She quietly told them.

“Is there something wrong?” AJ asked, surprised that he’s actually concerned about Nick. They heard footsteps in the hall and Nick coming inside the dining room.

“Oh, good. You’re still having dinner.” He occupied his usual seat beside Brian, carefully placing a newspaper on the empty seat beside him. He failed to see the exchanged looks between his siblings as he started to eat. Each one thought that they have no right to question him where he’s gone to, except Howie.

“Where have you been?” the elder one courageously asked Nick.

Nick looked at Howie. The others turned back to eating, pretending they didn’t mind. “I’ve been to a restaurant, that’s all. Is that bad?” His brother frowned at him. He ignored it and continued to eat. Once again, there’s silence. Nick felt the awkwardness and looked around. He caught Audrey stole a glance at him. He realized the curiosity in her eyes. He ignored it and turned back to his food.

“What did you do there?” Brian asked then.

Nick stopped eating and looked at him. “I only went to see someone, a woman. Satisfied?” He turned back to eating.

But being the bubbly one, AJ couldn’t take the awkward situation. “Nick, you can’t really live without a woman.” He shakes his head. “Anyway, who wants to go out with me tonight? Raise your hand.” There were two, coming from Nick and Audrey. AJ raised an eyebrow to their sister. “Excuse me. You like to go out with us?” He smirked.

Audrey looked at her brothers who focused on her reply. “Hey, I’m eighteen. Besides, I’m bored here.”

“Just don’t go talking to guys like Philippe,” Kevin said, almost a mumble, but Brian heard it.

Brian won’t allow Audrey to go out at night even if she’s eighteen. He believes that she should be at least twenty-five. That’s how strict he wanted to be when it comes to her. “Who’s Philippe?”

Audrey reddened as she met Nick’s look. Her brother is overprotective of her, even way back in LA. Her situation got worst now that she had five older brothers looking after her. Brian’s tone seemed strict, like the high school PE teacher that he is. Howie’s look is disapproving on the other hand. Kevin remained quiet, letting her explain who Philippe is. “Philippe is a French guy who asked my name when Kevin and I went to eat at McDonalds last time.”

“Is he cute?” AJ pressed on. Howie lightly nudged his seatmate. “What? I’m just asking if Philippe is cute.”

“You’re giving her ideas.” Nick retorted. “Audrey, you’re not coming with us. You’ll stay here.” The young woman groaned in frustration.

“I don’t think she’ll see Philippe although I seriously doubted no one’s gonna ask her name too.” Kevin said. He smiled to Audrey. “I may only be a high school graduate but I got A in French class. From their conversation, Philippe and his study group were cramming for exams in anatomy class. They were talking a lot about medical jargons and I presume that he’s a med student.”

“Dr. Philippe? This is interesting. Our baby sister has a doctor for an admirer.” AJ teased. He drinks his juice. He successfully broke the awkward situation brought about by their father’s letters on them.

“This is your fault, AJ. If you didn’t convince Audrey to dress up in fashion, I won’t worry on the guys who’ll ask her out.” Nick told him.

“Oh, now it’s my fault.” AJ saw Howie’s look. “Hey, stop giving me that Mexican look, Howie. You’re creeping me out. Besides, she’s my sister too. Don’t you want her to look pretty?”

“Well…” Howie glanced around. “And I’m Puerto Rican, AJ.”

Brian nodded. “I don’t think this is a good idea. I mean, you should go out when you’re at least twenty-five.”

“Twenty-five?” AJ and Nick burst out laughing together. “Man, you’re a real comedian.” AJ added.

Nick stopped laughing. “He got a point.”

AJ rolled his eyes. He stood up. “Oh, come on. Get dressed, Nick, Audrey. Let’s hit the town.”

“No.” The other four replied. AJ sighed.

“Listen, guys. I’ll take care of Audrey. Nick and I will take care of Audrey. We’ll get some clean fun, dance in the clubs and meet other people. It’s not as if we’re marrying Audrey off to some stranger. Chill! Geez…” When the men didn’t budge, he went back to his seat. He won’t be able to take Audrey out and have a life if the men he called brothers are not going to agree with him. “Okay, let’s vote.”

Audrey groaned once again. “I’m going out with AJ whether you guys like it or not. Anyway, I have the car keys.” With that, she quickly stood up and went out of the dining room. AJ stood up from the table and turned when Howie called him.

“Take care of Audrey.”

“That’s our baby sister.” Brian added. His jaws clenched.

“If you let her out of your sight, we will kill you,” Kevin smirked. He’s confident that AJ will take care of their sister. He trusts him with that. Nick stood up as well and told AJ that he’ll come along.



~~~



Nick watched as AJ talked to a couple of women at the bar. They found a nice club where the music is nice and the people inside were having tremendous fun. There are many people inside but the place is not packed. He can hear lots of French language around as well as English, but he’s not in the mood to mingle. He’d rather spend his time just hanging around by the bar and watch people. Audrey is standing beside him, telling him something about the synchronization of the lighting above their head. He smirked. Audrey loves to talk when she’s excited and she seemed to be now. This is a small amount of freedom for her, away from the pressures of boarding school.

“Why don’t you go around and meet some woman, Nick?” Her sister asked him.

“I’m not in the mood. I’d just like to hang out.” Nick took a swig of his beer. Actually, he’s hoping that maybe Sophia is around. Maybe, this is where he can finally have the courage to introduce himself and get to know her. A brunette stood beside him and he caught the scent of an expensive perfume. He gave a rundown look on her and smiled. This is a pretty one. Maybe he can have a little fun. The woman noticed him and smiled.

“Great crowd,” she said aloud for him to hear.

“Yeah. Have you been here before?” Nick inched himself closer to her. “What’s your poison?”

“Long Island Tea,” the woman replied. Nick ordered one to the bartender. He completely ignored Audrey, who’s just beside him. “I’m a tourist. You? You look familiar.”

“Same as you are.” The beat of the club turned into house music. They started moving with the music as they just stood together. “I’m nobody.” He smirked. The woman gets more confident and moved even closer. One arm goes around his neck. Nick put an arm on her waist as they sway to the music. Audrey only watched her brother work it out with the woman. She’s witnessing firsthand what her brothers do in places like this. A man passed by Nick and directly turned to Audrey. Without doing anything, Nick just leaned towards the unnamed woman and let the guy talk to his sister. He will forget Sophia LaCrouix for a while. He may get himself laid tonight. He hasn’t been for a longtime now and it amazes him.

“Hi, I’m Kyle.” He heard the man said to Audrey. He pulled the woman closer to his body, with the intention of turning his way where he can clearly watch over his sister. Audrey’s lucky to get inside the club with her age. She got him and AJ for brothers, the veterans of their kind.

Audrey smiled and Nick wanted to erase that smile. She might send the wrong signal to this man. Still, he just let her handle the situation. Audrey shakes the man’s hand as she says, “I’m Audrey.”

“Nice place, huh? I’m from New York. I saw you and I thought you’re maybe American. Do you live here in Paris or just a tourist, too?” Kyle said and stood between her and Nick. The man didn’t know that Audrey’s brother is only standing beside him.

“Whatever you think I am,” Audrey replied. Nick’s eyes widened at her reply. Is it just him or does her reply sounded like flirting with this man? He surveyed the man from head to feet. He’s maybe not bad at all but Nick doesn’t like him. He forgot about the woman in his arms as his attention is now on Kyle.

Kyle noticed Nick. “Excuse me, why are you staring at me?”

“That’s because you’re talking with our sister.” AJ retorted, finally going back to where he left them. He and Nick, who let go of the woman he's dancing with, faced Kyle, arms across their chest.

Kyle smirked. He turned to Audrey. “Oh, you got chaperones.”

Audrey raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean by that?” Kyle gave her a scrutinizing and malicious look from head to feet. She doesn’t like what he did and before anyone knew what’s bound to happen, she punched the man on the face.

“Fuck! You, bitch –“ As soon as Kyle said that, AJ and Nick went down to the business and started the fight. People in the club started to turn at the instant commotion. Three men were on the floor. The two were helping each other out in beating the third one who’s crying for help. Two bouncers of the club came to the rescue and pulled Nick and AJ with ease. Another big man came and pulled Kyle on his feet too. The bouncers threw them out of the bar and into the street.

“That’s our sister, you asshole!” AJ kicked Kyle once again. Nick looked down at the man with a smirk then knelt down to beat the other one again.