- Text Size +

 

 

Brian watched Kevin put rocks around the bonfire that they’re going to make. When they decided to go camping, they forgot about how cold to spent a night outside in France. They drove five miles towards some forest park where Nick said they could go camping. Ridiculous as it seems, everyone just agreed to Audrey’s camping idea. Subconsciously, they wanted to let their sister experience something out from what the boarding school is keeping from her. He saw Audrey snuggling closer to AJ. “Nick and Howie hasn’t arrived yet.” He noticed.

“They must be having a hard time catching fish.” Kevin replied. He started the fire. Brian noticed that the eldest one has been quiet lately. Something must have been bothering Kevin.

“Are you alright, Kev?” Brian asked.

Kevin turned to him. He started the fire and sits down opposite of them. “I haven’t told you that I already got a wife and son.”

“Wow.” AJ muttered. “I have a nephew? And with that kind of eyebrows? Cool!”

Brian stared at Kevin’s eyebrows and chuckled. “How long have you been married?”

“Three years. My son is only five-months old. I told Atty. Kiefer that I tell you personally about my status. I’d like to introduce my family to you someday.” Kevin drew a deep breath. Something is still bothering him, Brian thought. “We call my son Koko, just a nickname though. His name’s like mine. Kristin wanted a junior.” Kevin added. “How about you, Brian? Tell us something about your fiancée.”

“Well, she’s a great woman. I met her in a bookstore that her family owns in town. Her name’s Leighanne. When she learned that I got siblings on my father’s side, she wanted to meet you. She’s the one who encouraged me to agree on this term by our father. She wanted me to form a bond with you because she thinks that family is very important. It’s one of the priceless treasures you can have for life.” Brian smiled at Audrey.

“Well, I wanted that too when I agreed on this,” AJ seconded. “Being the only child is lonely. Money is not everything. Mom taught me the real happiness. As cheesy as it may seem, I found happiness and peace with you.” Audrey grinned at that and snuggled closer to him.

“Well,” Kevin paused when they heard Howie and Nick. They are arguing. Nick can never last long with anyone without having an argument. He’s always on a fight with anyone of them. They saw the two arrived. Howie is holding the string where two fishes were hanging on it.

“No. I was not planning to take the bar.” Nick said and dropped himself to the ground.

Howie smack the back of Nick’s head. “Atontado.” He added as Kevin took the fish from him to start cooking.

AJ smirked at Howie’s exclamation. “Why?”

“He finished law but doesn’t intend to become a lawyer.” Howie muttered a few Spanish expletives. AJ laughed. Nick glared at them.

“That’s just a waste, Nick.” Kevin said, seconded by Brian. He continued what he’s doing with the fishes and put them over the fire. “You seemed smart but you don’t know what to do with it.”

Nick rolled his eyes. He just told Howie about not having plans of becoming a full-pledged lawyer – before. He used the word ‘was’. Obviously, the little man with the curly hair didn’t catch that word. After reading his father’s letter, he intends to take up bar exams once he gets back to LA. His father inspired him to pursue the career in law. He wanted to do it. He glanced at Brian who continued lecturing him after Kevin finished with his own piece. Brothers!

“You should not take things for granted, Nick. You’re so fortunate to even go to college and finish a degree. Take time to think about what you want to do with your life now than going out in some clubs, or getting drunk or even getting into trouble with the authorities.” Brian said.

“You’re wasting your life, Nick.” Howie seconded. “If our father didn’t do anything to make you good, we will. You have to learn and grow up. You’re so immature. You have to plan something for your life by now. Money isn’t everything. Be a lawyer, get a decent job – probably save the world, get a decent and respectable woman and marry her. That’s how life should be for you. You’re one lucky bastard, didn’t you know that?”

Nick didn’t say anything. He just stared at the fire and let them talk all they want. They’re right anyway. He doesn’t have any plans on what he really wanted to be in life. All he wanted was attention, most especially from their father. Now that he’s gone, his brothers are trying to instill life plans for him. He realized that these people cared for him and he felt good. He longed for this kind of belongingness. But he wasn’t going to admit it to them.

“Okay, stop it.” AJ shakes his head. “The three of you, loosen up, okay? I’ve known Nick for almost all my life and I think that whatever he’s done in the past, he can make up for anything in the future. I understand what he’s gone through although I admit that he had wrong decisions then. But hey, let’s give him a chance. He’s done with college. I’m sure that he had plans, somehow.” He looked at Nick. “After all, I still believe he’s a nice kid.”

Nick met AJ’s look. “You do?” His brother nodded. He looked down on the ground. “Thanks. That’s the nicest thing that any one had ever said to me.” They all fell silent with that.

“I think you’re okay, too, Nick.” Audrey said. “Growing up with you as my brother, you’re a kind person. And I’m proud of you. I want to see what you do with your own chance.”

Nick smiled at his sister. He looked up when he received a pat on the shoulder. “Hey, I know what atontado means.” He told Howie. His brother chuckled.

“Sorry about that. Anyway, I’m giving you a chance, Nick. I’m just here.” Kevin and Brian nodded from Howie’s statement as well.

“Okay, enough of the melodrama. And why did you only got two fish? We’re six. That’s not enough.” AJ complained.

“Maybe you should try it tomorrow, AJ. It’s not easy to catch fish. Let’s see how many you can catch.” Nick gave him a challenge. He takes his bag and opens it. “For the meantime, I got chips.”

“Yeah, right.” Brian chuckled. He took his bag and showed everyone two cans of pork and beans. “Nick, this is what we’re going to eat tonight not chips.” He stands up and gets the small pan they’ve brought. “Now, we’re solved.” Nick watched the older ones prepared their food. They knew a lot about dealing with life. He wanted that kind of confidence, that kind of independence and knowledge that in life, he can get through anything even without the influence of his name, money or power. He began to admire and respect this people, his brothers.

Nick slowly smiled. This is probably one of his father's purposes of bonding them together as a family, making them see the importance of having each other.

“How about you, AJ? What’s your purpose here?” Kevin asked the tattooed one who is now busy teasing Audrey about the guy she last dated, Philippe.

AJ turned to them. “Well, at first I just wanted to taunt Nick’s patience because before we came here, he and I just had a fight in a bar.” He smirked. “But as a businessman, I wanted to use whatever I’ll get here to invest on something. How about you?”

“Well,” Kevin checked the fish first before continuing. “I inherited a land from my grandfather and that’s what keeps me busy for a long time now. Me and my wife takes care of whatever we planted then sell it to the market. I want to use the money I’ll get here to pay land tax.”

“Wife?” Nick and Howie almost said at the same time.

“Yeah, and a five-month-old son, too,” Brian smiled.

Kevin nodded. “As I’ve told these people earlier, I wanted to tell you myself about my family. They were supposed to come here with me but Koko is too young to travel.”

“Koko? That’s your son’s name?” Nick asked. Audrey smacked his head. “Hey!” He’s about to retaliate when AJ did the same too.

“That’s a nickname. That can be yours, considering you’re Nickolas,” Audrey rolled her eyes.

The three older men can only shake their head at these younger three. “Anyway, the same motive like AJ goes with me too.” Howie told them. They turned to Brian.

“My mom is sick and I need money to give her enough medical attention.” Brian simply said. “Audrey?”

“I never had plans. I just wanted to go on vacation in Paris and meet my other brothers.”

Nick, whose head bowed down to the ground, felt their looks upon him. He looked up and he’s right. “Well,” he drew a deep breath, “I admit that I just agreed to come here because I wanted to show you who have more right in Dad’s assets. But I guess that’s not really his plans when he put this on his will. I’ve come to realize that there are important things to learn here than just be a snob and arrogant and show that you don’t deserve any of Dad’s wealth. I’m a bad ass; you all know that. And I’m sorry.” He looks down again. There, he said it.

He received a pat on the shoulder. He looked up and saw everyone in front of him. “You were, Nick, but we’re glad that you realized that now and you seemed willing to change for the best.” Kevin said. He hugged his brother.

“Thanks.” Nick smiled. He appreciated their hugs and their support. He looked at AJ who gave him a thumbs-up sign. This is the best experience of his life.