- Text Size +

 

 

“Hey, Nick.” Brent called his friend when he saw the blonde one passed through the door. “Nick! Nick!” There were many other people crowding around after the graduation rites. He was fortunate to locate Nick easily among this sea of faces.

Nick heard the familiar voice and looked around. He smiled wider when he saw his best friend waving at him. He immediately walked towards him. “Hey, Brent. I’m glad that you came.” They hugged each other. “Thanks.”

“I wouldn’t miss it for anything else, attorney!”

“Not yet,” Nick laughed. They started to walk down the front steps of the building where the graduation rites were. They saw Nick’s mother, Barbra, Audrey – his sister - and their bodyguards waiting for them. “I even doubted if I’ll take the bar.”

“Oh, come on. You can do it. You did well in law school.”

Nick shakes his head. “No, this is enough.” He went to hug his mother. “Hi, Mom, Audrey.”

“Congratulations,” Audrey smiled and embraced her brother. There were flashes of lights and they turned to see some members of the media taking shots of them. They can never avoid them. They are only famous because of their rich family and its associates. They couldn’t prevent it and the paparazzi seemed to take a great interest on that. Nick couldn’t blame them if they are here in his college graduation. He had his share of publicity when he dated models and famous actresses before, aside from his usual misconduct in which many people found interesting. He never did anything but just that and he’s an instant celebrity.

They approached him in an instant for an interview. “What are your plans, Nick?” a reporter asked. “Will you pursue a career in the courts?”

“We’ll see.” Nick winked at them. Another thing that gained their interest was his ability to reply the questions without definite answers. He always keeps them guessing. He is the son of a powerful media mogul but they cannot get straight facts out from him.

“Don’t you have plans to join your father’s business? Or are you planning to be a Hollywood lawyer?”

“The plans are being outlined. Ask me again when I see you.” Nick immediately turned to get in the car when his security ushered him inside. When everything has gone, the remaining reporters just watched them go.

“Oh, fuck. He did it again.” A redhead man shakes his head and checks his camera. “So much for the son of a media mogul, he never directly answers us.”

Nick, who’s inside the car, smirked as the paparazzi was left standing on the block. They will never get something from him unless they dig deeper. He never chose to become famous anyway and they have to deal with it. “I’m not going to take bar exams.” He announced to the people inside the car. He gave them a wide smile.

“What’s the purpose of taking up law if you’re not going to be a lawyer?” Audrey asked. “You just wasted your time and money.”

“I just want to finish college, that’s all.” Nick said. He saw them looking at each other. Graduating from a prestigious law school is enough for him. He just wanted to prevent others from thinking that he’s just some rich kid who doesn’t even have an intellectual head. The truth here is that he hates his father and he had his own way to spend his money without hearing any complaint from him. His father reprimanded him enough for his scandals and bad publicities. Going to a law school has been a giant move from him. He knew he surprised everyone and he liked it. “I’m also throwing a party tonight at the club.” He added.

“Nickolas, when are you going to plan something for your future?” Barbra asked her son, shaking her head in disapproval. “Surely, your father would like it better if you start learning the business.”

“Mom, this is the future and I have my own business. It’s called my life. I don’t care about him.”

“Nick…” Barbra sighed.

“You know what, Mom? I don’t fucking care about Dad’s business, okay? I don’t want to be like him. It’s enough that I graduated. I’m in charge of my life from now on. Deal with it.” Nick looked out of the window. There was an awkward silence following that. Everyone knows how Nick hated and rebelled against his father.

“You don’t talk to your mother that way, Nick.” Brent bravely broke the silence.

“Just leave me alone.”



~~~



“Let me see, meeting tomorrow at the Fox Media Industries.” Geoffrey Carter browsed at his personal digital assistant, as the car makes its way towards Bel-air. His eyes widened when he bumped into a note in today’s schedule. “Oh my god, I did it again.” He groaned. It was Nick’s graduation from law school and he forgot about it. How could he forget it, and the other important events in the past? He’s never good at this and he couldn’t make up for it. He can be the good provider for his family but never as a good father and Nick hated him for that. He reached for his cellphone to call Barbra.

“Geoff, I’ve been trying to call you many times.” Barbra said as soon she answered her mobile.

“I’m sorry…”

“Business, it’s always the business. I don’t know how I put up with it all these years. I love you and it hurts me to see that your children hated you.” Barbra cried. “Where are you?”

“I’m going home. I just got through an important meeting.”

“You’re in the jet?”

“In the car, Barbra. Where’s Nick?” Geoffrey bit his lower lip in anxiety.

“Call him. We just arrived from the airport after the jet took us back here in LA. I don’t know where he is now after the limo dropped us off at home. He went out with Brent. His friend told me earlier that they‘d probably go to see a house that Nick wanted to buy. You see, your son saved enough of his allowances to buy himself a house. You gave him a lot of money in exchange for your absence but that’s not what he wants. He wants you.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t say that to me. Tell it to Nick. I love you, okay?” Then Barbra said goodbye and hung up. Geoffrey drew a deep breath as he speed-dial his son’s line. Nick answered after the third ring.

“What do you want?”

“I’m sorry if I wasn’t able to see you graduate today, son.”

“No big deal. I got used to it.” Nick coldly replied. “Is that all you’ve got to say? I need to hang up now, Dad. I’m driving. Thanks for the car. That’s a nice graduation present.”

“Nick, can I see you tonight?”

“I won’t be around tonight, Dad. I have a party later. Bye.” And with that, Nick ended the call. He couldn’t wait to finish the conversation with him. Geoffrey sighed as he rested his head against the headrest of his car seat and closed his eyes. He couldn’t blame his son for acting cold towards him. It’s his fault; he was never there for him or Audrey. He loves his children but he was not able to show it to them. He took his laptop and opened it. He’s going to update his online journal. No one knows that he had one. His blog contains his thoughts about his family, his love for them, his thoughts about life and love. There wasn’t anything about his work. This is the in-depth view of his personal life.


“…I know it was my fault. I love my son and I will do anything for him. I guess that it’s not enough to give him the things he wanted because it wouldn’t equal to the very thing that he wanted from me: my love and attention. I was never the good father. I was always away from home. Thinking about this now, I have decided that it is time where I should take the backseat from the business and relax. My family torn apart and I have to do something now. I’m going to focus on them now.

I’m sorry, Nick, for not being the great father that I am. I hope I can tell you one day that I love you very much. And to Audrey, I am proud to be the good daughter that you’ve become. I love you…”



Geoffrey continued on his writing and when he was finished, he hit the save button and waited for his entry to appear. While waiting, he was surprised when his driver made a sudden shift on his driving and the next thing he saw is a big truck ahead of them.