- Text Size +

 

 

“Cixi…”

Howie bit his lower lip as the woman turned. She was surprised when she saw him. “Howie? What are you doing here in Paris? Are you following me?”

“If I know that you’re here, I would. I’m here with my siblings. It’s a long story.” He drew a deep breath. “Why?”

“I’m sorry, Howie. I just can’t be with you anymore.” Cixi turned to leave but Howie stopped her when he held her arm. His siblings only watched what’s going on across the street.

“Is she his ex-girlfriend? Nice choice.” AJ nodded in approval. Others only watched what’s going on.

Howie asked her again. “Why?”

Cixi looked around and he wondered why. And she seemed so afraid of something, or probably someone. Howie stepped closer. His jaws clenched. “Is it my mom?” He saw the answer in her eyes. His mother is a famous political icon. Lucia Dorough may no longer be holding a senatorial seat but her influence in the country still goes on. And it only doesn’t stop in politics. She tried to meddle with her only child’s affairs which angered Howie. And it angered him more that she must have threatened the only woman he loves. “Cixi, you know that I’ll take care of you.”

“But you don’t understand my situation. I’m the breadwinner of my family. My father works in a construction company, my mom is a dressmaker and I have an autistic sister. I can’t afford to risk my family in exchange for you. I can’t, not now…” Cixi struggled to let go of herself from him. “I’m sorry.”

“I love you, Cixi.”

Cixi blinked back the tears. “I love you, too. But maybe someday, somewhere, we can be together. Goodbye.” Howie watched her go. It frustrated him when she didn’t make it on their wedding day. He doesn’t care if he looked like a fool and everyone made a good laugh out of it. He’s more worried on where Cixi has gone. He ignored the fact that it might be his mother’s fault. He was in denial and that’s why he couldn’t protect Cixi from her. He lost his trust to his mother when he overheard her talking with her business colleagues about some business they wanted to take over, not minding if it will affect many people’s lives. He found out about his mother’s hunger to power but he never found out about her involvement on threatening Cixi until now.

Howie glanced at his brothers and sister, in whom he caught were looking at him. He nodded and waved to them before going off for a walk.

“Should someone from us follow him?” Nick asked them.

“Let’s give him time alone.” Kevin said, looking up when their orders arrived. Their happy mood was lost. They began to eat in silence.



~~~



Howie’s particular aim in life is to be like his father, having businesses and earning a lot of money. He wanted to be rich, powerful and successful. He wanted to have everything he wanted. Being the son of an influential former Senator was a big plus for him because he can use it for his personal motives. He took every opportunity to have a share from his mother’s power and he wanted more. But when he fell in love with a simple waitress, he knew his life has changed. He took 360 degrees turn and his perspective changed. He just wanted to be with Cixi. He only wanted to give her anything that will make her happy. He doesn’t care if his mother didn’t approve of her. He asked her to marry him and she did because she loves him, too. But as it happened, they didn’t have a happy ending.

This experience with his siblings brought him to a new perspective of being rich, powerful and successful. He thought he could have it all. He thought that he could be happy with having those things. But living with them made him realized the truth towards happiness and contentment, the way to love completely and without conviction, and the choice to pursue what he really wants and not according to the dictation of his mother. Furthermore, his father’s letter served as a wake up call for him.


‘I followed the footsteps of my father hoping to become like him, rich and powerful. But I realized that having sons like you is more fulfilling than closing a business deal. Having you is everything compared to what I can do in my businesses. I heard what happened to your supposed-to-be wedding. I heard that she is a wonderful woman and I hope you’ll find her soon. You deserve all the happiness you can get. Don’t make the same mistakes that I did. I didn’t get to do what I really want. You, on the other hand, are still young. You still have a lot of chance to choose what truly makes you happy and without the influence of your mother. I know you’ll make it through. I love you, Howie…’


“Hey.”

Howie’s thoughts were interrupted when he looked up and saw Kevin. His brother brought along a bottle of whisky and sits beside him. He didn’t reject the offer when Kevin gave him one glass with it. “We managed to get the car home, after a few more farts from Brian and complaints from AJ and Nick.” Kevin started. He received a chuckle from his companion. They are at the gazebo. The night is still young and stars are all up in the sky. Nick went out, probably to see Sophia from afar again. AJ, Brian and Audrey are watching some movies with Philippe, who dropped by to see their sister. They began to think that the medical student is serious with Audrey so they started to put up their guards and didn’t allow them to go out in just short notice. Audrey didn’t complain on that. She’s tired from their excursion earlier. She appreciates that Philippe understands.

“I had fun earlier.” Howie told him.

“So do I.” Kevin takes a taste of his whisky. They grew silent for a while. “I’m planning to enter a flying school once I get back home and paid all the land taxes I owed the bank.” He said to break the silence. He needs to keep it going and get Howie to speak up, somehow.

“That’s great, Kev.”

“How about you?”

Howie drew a deep breath. “I don’t know.” He takes his whisky. After a few moments, he continued. “I’ve been selfish and a crude businessman. I just thought about myself, on how to be powerful and rich. It’s one of the reason that even though she accepted and loved me, she couldn’t now bear the thought of being with me.” He continued with his whisky and once he emptied his glass, poured another one. There was silence again. Kevin didn’t say anything. He only listened.

“You know, we were supposed to get married. But on the day that I’m already at the church, she never showed up. She left without a trace. I looked for her and never found her…until this afternoon.” Howie looked down.

“Why?” Kevin quietly asked.

“Why?” Howie sighed. “My mom threatened her. She must have said that she’ll destroy Cixi’s chances to make a better life for her family. Cixi worked hard for her family. They weren’t rich but they’re decent and I love that family. I still supported them even though the marriage didn’t push through. I wanted to help them. I’ve grown to love them as much as I love Cixi.”

So, that’s the story, Kevin thought. Their other siblings were itching to know what happened but they guessed that Howie wouldn’t open up that easy so Kevin volunteered to make a way. “What happens now?”

There’s a long pause after that. Howie takes another swig of his whisky and pours some again. “She said that maybe some time, somewhere we can be together. I love her, Kevin, but I let go of the chance to be with her again. I let go of her.” He wipes the tear that fell down his face. “Maybe because I still have to find what I really want. I haven’t thought about that much. Now I did, hours after I saw her again. I wanted her back and nothing, not even my mother, will stand in my way.”