- Text Size +

 

 

Brian waited for someone to pick up the phone when he decided to call home. He wanted to hear his mother’s voice and most importantly, Leighanne’s. He missed his girlfriend and he wanted to know what’s going on there lately. After seemingly a long time, someone answered.

“Hello?”

“Brian! Thank goodness you called!” It’s Leighanne.

“Why? Is there a problem?” Brian’s heart started to beat faster. He wasn’t expecting for anything and he hoped it wasn’t anything worst. His siblings turned to him when they heard him raised his voice in utmost concern. They watched him walked towards the other end of the pool area to talk with his girlfriend.

“Your mom’s at the hospital. She had a heart attack yesterday. She wanted you home.” Leighanne replied on the other line. Brian nearly dropped the phone when he heard that. He blinked back the tears.

When it comes to his mother or with Leighanne, he never hesitated to do something that came first to his mind. “Alright, I’m going home. I’ll catch the first flight out of here.” That’s it. No regrets. It’s the final decision.

“But your inheritance, Brian. You need it too. Your mother is thinking about it, too.”

“To hell with it, Leighanne. I’m going back to see my mom. Tell her I’m going home. I don’t care about my inheritance if I won’t see my mom. Goodbye. I love you.” Brian ended the call. He turned and saw his siblings looking at him. He announced his decision immediately. “I’m going home.”

They gasped at his sudden announcement. They all stood up. “Why? Is there something wrong?” Kevin asks.

“My mom’s at the hospital. I need to be there immediately. She needs me.” Brian quietly replied. He smiled weakly. “I don’t have any choice. I have to go and see how Mom’s doing."

“What about your inheritance? You’ll receive nothing and you need it.” Howie said.

He shakes his head. “I guess that’s just the way it is. My mom is more important to me. Excuse me, I have to pack.” He went inside. The others were left deep in their thoughts. Nick then, stood up and went inside. Soon enough, AJ followed his brother.



~~~



“Mom, you have to do this. Please,” Nick told his mother on the other line. He watched as the car went out of the estate. Howie is the one driving, taking Brian to the airport. Kevin and the others also went with them. He is the only left in Chateau Cordell. He hates to see Brian go. For more than three months, he found his family with them. He started to care for them too and Brain needs the money for his financial problems.

“Okay. This will mean that you won’t be buying the house you want, Nick.” Barbra told her son.

“I don’t care, Mom. I got houses in Malibu and Bahamas anyway. That’s enough for me.”

There was pause on the other line after he said that. “Nick? Is that you talking?”

“Uh, yeah. Why, Mom?”

Barbra smiled as she nodded to her secretary after she finished signing some documents in front of her. “Well, you sound different. Whatever it is that you’re doing in France with your brothers, I hope you find time to reevaluate your life. I love you, Nick. You’re just a little naughty bad boy sometimes.”

“Mom…” Nick sighed. He sits on the chair.

“What? I have to say what I have to say. Alright? I’ll do what you ask of me. Goodbye, honey. Say hello to Audrey for me.” His mother blew kisses and hung up on him.



~~~



Everyone was wondering what’s going on when they arrived from the airport. Brian luckily found a flight back to the US. For the last time, Brian used his allowance to buy plane tickets, specifically first-class. They tried to joke around as they waited for his boarding time. Anything, just to temporarily ease Brian’s worry over his mother. And since they couldn’t spend their monetary allowance for other people or to en-cash it for their personal needs back home, they found several ways to spend his money, even buying gifts he’ll bring home instead. Now that they’re back in Chateau Cordell, they wondered why there are two black Range Rovers in front of the big house. Nick and Oscar were outside and talking with three men in black suits. They turned when the car stopped.

“What’s going on?” Kevin asked when he got out.

Nick bit his lower lip when he looked at his eldest brother. He seemed nervous as he runs his fingers through his hair. “Kevin, these are the FBI. They’re looking for you.”

“Huh?” Kevin looked in question. He shook hands with them. “I’m Kevin Richardson. What can I do for you?”

“I’m Lieutenant Pete Moore. We came here to ask you a few questions about the murder of Norman Burns. We were told that you spoke with him before you went here.” One of the men in suits said.

Kevin nodded in understanding. “Let’s take this inside.” He motioned for the butler to assist him in accommodating the FBI. He turned when Howie called him.

“Is everything alright?” Howie asked.

Kevin turned instead to Nick. “Did the FBI tell you about what happened and their purpose?” The younger man nodded. “Explain it to them. I need to speak with these guys for now and I’ll get back on you for more answers.”

“No, Kev.” It was AJ. Kevin stopped and turned to him. “We’re not going to let you face them alone. It may not be something serious but we’ll stick with you. Right, guys?” The others agreed.

“Give me the chance to practice my legal knowledge.” Nick added. “We’ll be just right here, Kev.”

“We insist.” Howie said. Audrey nodded. Kevin looked at each one of them. He appreciated their commitment to back him up but he needed to face this alone.

“Thanks but no. I need to face this alone.” He said. With that, he went inside the house. He didn’t give them the chance to say anything more. Oscar ushered the visitors in the Sitting Room and he went straight there. “I spoke with Mr. Burns to plead an extension in paying my land taxes.” He started without preamble. He takes a seat across them. He noticed their look of wonder around the magnificent room.

The other one, who spoke with him earlier, is taking notes. The two other FBI made introductions namely, Sgt. Forbes Judd and Agent Bill Osmond. “Some employees at the bank heard that you were arguing with him before.” Lt. Moore said.

“It’s not actually an argument that we had. I went to the bank at that time, before I left to go here, to check if how much I still owe them because as far as I knew, my mother paid the land taxes and we only have a little balance left to pay. I was surprised to receive a notice from the bank regarding the same amount that my mother had already paid. Mr. Burns and I had a debate over the matter but in the end, we agreed that I‘d pay for what would be the remainder while he go over his books to refer to the receipts that I have in my possession. I promised him that I’ll pay the remaining balance of my debts after five months, after I’m done here.”

Lt. Moore nodded. Sgt. Judd cleared his throat. “May we ask your purpose of travel here, Mr. Richardson?”

“It’s a family matter, sir. I’m staying with my brothers and sister after the death of our father.” Kevin replied. They turned when the door opened. His three brothers and sister came inside. He didn’t say anything more. These kids won’t give up.

“Oh, Nick Carter is your brother. That means, your Geoffrey Carter’s children?” Agent Bill Osmond said.

Lt. Moore glared at his colleague. “Anyway, we have an order to take you back home while the case is still going on.” He said. “This is not an arrest. It’s only an order released by the judge.”

“In short, you’re considering Kevin as one of the suspects.” Howie said. “That’s insane. Atontado.” He muttered.

Nick placed a hand on Howie’s arm to stop him. “Where’s your document?” The FBI showed them the order. Nick sighed.

Kevin felt himself trembling. He never had problems with the authorities before and this scares him. But he tried not to show everyone. He’ll never get his inheritance now that he had to leave Chateau Cordell too. He will never get the money to pay the land taxes and he doesn’t want to lose it. He drew a deep breath. The only good that will happen here is that he will be seeing his wife and son again. He stood up. “I’ll go and pack my things.”

“Kev…” Audrey bit her lower lip.

“It’s alright, Audrey. I’ll see you again, okay? I want you to meet Koko.” He excused himself from them and went upstairs to get his things.