- Text Size +

 

 

Nick stared at his food and glanced around. No one’s touching their food either. He sighed. The seat beside him is empty, as well as the one at the head of the table. It gets lonely now that they’re not complete. “They needed the money more than us,” he quietly said. Kevin left the estate that afternoon with the FBI and he’s probably on his flight back home too. Nick never thought he’d miss the older guys. They’ve become a part of his life now and knowing that they’re in dilemma now, he felt that he needed to do something as their brother.

“Yes. I needed the money to start my own business too but hey, their reasons are more important than mine.” Howie stated. He shakes his head.

“I’ve sent my lawyer to check on how much Kevin owes the bank. He’ll call me later and I think, I’ll help him for now. He needs us, guys.” AJ said. Audrey is silent.

“Well, I called my mom earlier,” Nick said. Audrey looked up when he mentioned it. “I told her to talk with my accountant to get some money for Brian. I’d like to help too.”

“I knew some great lawyers who can represent Kevin. I’ll call them and ask them to go to Kentucky for Kevin.” Howie immediately takes out his phone and punched numbers. He excused and went out of the dining room.

“It feels so lonely that Kevin and Brian aren’t here,” Audrey said in a sad voice. “I want to go home too. Can we?”

Nick turned to AJ in question. “Why me?” AJ asks.

“Because you’re older than us. We’re asking for your opinion.” Nick replied. AJ earned Nick’s respect when he saw how his brother cares for their sister, Audrey, and for his admission that Nick can have the chance to do his best in whatever he wanted to be. Nick looked up to him as one of his older brothers, not just some random guy he fought with at a club in LA.

AJ, on the other hand, felt touched by Nick and Audrey’s respect to him as their older brother. “I, uh,” he smiled weakly, “in my opinion, I wanted to leave and go home too. I want to check on how Brian is doing and what to do on Kevin’s case. We just can’t let them face the ordeal alone. We’re family.”

Nick nodded. “I think so, too.”

Howie went back the dining room. “My lawyer will fly today to Kentucky to help Kevin. What’s going on?” He noticed that the three didn’t eat and are now standing to leave the dining hall.

“Are you with us?” Audrey asked him.

“Yes. Why?”

“We’re leaving Chateau Cordell. We need to help our brothers.” Nick said. He turned to AJ. “By the way, if you need money for investment, you can borrow from me.” He turned to Howie. “Same to you, too.”

“I don’t care if I can’t get any money. I want to help Brian and Kevin too. To hell with Dad’s codicil,” they chuckled. Howie nodded. “Come on. Let’s pack up.”



~~~



Barbra looked up when her secretary admitted Atty. Kiefer inside her office. “Hello, attorney.” She smiled.

Atty. Kiefer smiled. “Good morning, Mrs. Carter. Did your son already dropped by here?”

“No. He’s in Paris.”

“He’s not. Oscar, the butler in Chateau Cordell, called earlier to inform me what happened. I lost contact in these past months because I lost my phone and my house was robbed.” Atty. Kiefer sits on one of the chair when Barbra requested him to.

“Oh, are you alright now?”

“I’m fine. My insurance took care of everything.” Atty. Kiefer replied. “Apparently, the kids got along well with each other. That’s what you and Geoffrey wanted, right?” They smiled. “But just a few days ago, Brian received the news that his mother is in the hospital while Kevin was visited by some FBI agents for a murder case of some bank manager in his hometown.”

“Oh no.” Barbra shakes her head. “I think that’s the reason why Nick called me to withdraw something from his money and send over to Brian’s mother.”

“He did?” Atty. Kiefer thought for a moment. “Well, if everything’s settled with them, I’ll call everyone for the reading of the second will.”

“But they didn’t finish the five-month period in Paris. Surely, they deserve something especially Kevin and Brian.” Barbra’s face grew concerned. “Can you do something?”

“You’ll see, Ma’am. You have to be present on that day, too.” Atty. Kiefer bid his farewells.