- Text Size +

 

 

Brian walked down the hall of the school where he is working as a PE teacher. A couple of high school students greeted him and he only nodded in reply. He needs to go back to the hospital now to check his mother again. It’s been three days since he got back from Paris. His hometown seemed to have changed while he’s gone. The kids were friendlier to him than before. And he’s surprised that their friends helped in taking care of his mother through Leighanne.

He saw his girlfriend outside the school. When Leighanne saw him, she gave him that sweet smile of hers. Brian started towards her and together, they made their way towards the hospital that is only three blocks away from school.

“Thank you so much, Leigh.” Brian quietly said. He’s holding her hand. She gripped it tighter.

“I’m with you in every step of the way, Brian.” Leighanne looked up to him. Then she takes something out of her bag. “I dropped by earlier before going to the bookstore. The nurse informed me that somebody came to pay the bills and even paid more for the other medical expenses that your mother might need.”

Brian stopped walking. There’s just one thing in his mind on who did it. Leighanne voiced out his thoughts. “Do you think it’s probably your brothers?”

“Do they cared that much to me?” He asked in reply. They resumed walking.

“Why not? Based on your stories, they seemed to be good people after all. Sure, you didn’t get along well at the start but through the passing months, you found something likeable from them.”

Brian didn’t say anything. His first thoughts were on how to pay his brothers. He knew that when he left Chateau Cordell, he would never get his inheritance from his father. He needed the money but he doesn’t have any choice now. His mother is more important than any money he can get. He turned when Leighanne sighed. “Is there anything wrong, Leigh?”

Leighanne shakes her head. “Nothing’s wrong. I’m just wondering about how we can pay our debts.”

“It’s my debts, don’t worry about it.” He leaned to kiss her. “God will bless us. There will be a way.”

Leighanne hugged him. “I love you, Brian. I’m almost your wife now and I share everything with you. We’ll get through this together. Not only you, but also me.” They started towards the hospital. Brian’s mother is sleeping when they got there and so, they went to the nurses’ station to inquire about the bills.

“May I see the copy of the receipt?” Brian asked. They gave his request and he didn’t recognize the person who signed to pay it. “It must be any of their accountants.” He shrugged to Leighanne. “I’ll pay them.” His girlfriend nodded.

“There’s no need for that.”

Both turned and saw three men and a young lady standing nearby. Brian smiled shyly. “Thank you for your help.” He went to hug each of his siblings and introduced Leighanne.

“Atty. Kiefer called for us to be in LA on Friday. Is that okay with you?” Nick told him.

“Uh,” Brian glanced at Leighanne.

“It’s alright, Brian. I’ll take care of your mom. Is he going to be away for long?” Leighanne asks Brian’s brothers.

Howie shakes his head. “The private plane will bring him back here after the meeting.”

“And Kevin?” Brian thought of the older one. Howie informed him what happened to Kevin. He is worried that their brother may go to jail even though he’s innocent. But Howie assured him that he already sent a topnotch lawyer to defend on Kevin’s case.

“We’ll go there later.” Audrey replied. Her eyes twinkled. She’s still the picture of innocence as her brothers surrounded her.

“How about you? What happened to your Philippe?” Brian chuckled. The others groaned. “What? He followed her?” That would be incredible. After a couple of visits to her in Chateau Cordell, he saw a hint of clear intentions from the young man. And to think that Philippe studied English to be able to communicate with their sister, Brian thinks he is serious over her.

“Don’t remind her of Philippe. The two have been sending each other text messages ever since she came back here,” Nick now frowned.

Brian raised an eyebrow and turned to Howie. “And you? How are you?”

“What about me?” Howie smiled. When they gave him a look, he drew a deep breath. “I’m going to find Cixi again and will ask her to marry me.”

“Sure, you will.” AJ muttered. “You should have done that when you met her. Anyway, is your mother awake?” he asks Brian. “We’d like to meet her.”



~~~



Kevin glanced at Kristin and Koko and smiled. He puts down the last sack of corn he harvested inside the barn and went out to see his family again. Kristin is in the front porch with their child. The fading glow of the sunlight as it served as a backdrop in the afternoon glow touched her face. He felt warmth all over as he looked at his family and the future he is looking forward with them.

“Daddy’s here,” Kristin told Koko as the little one makes excited noises. “He’s looking for you.” She told her husband when Kevin reached them. Koko extended his arms to his Daddy.

Kevin takes Koko in his arms. “Hello, big boy. Wow, he’s heavy.” He smiled to Kristin.

“He is. We ran out of milk again. This boy is growing so fast,” she laughed. She affectionately wipes her husband’s forehead then takes back Koko from him. “Go and clean up, then go to town to buy milk.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Kevin kissed her lightly on the lips then went inside the house. Kristin drew a deep breath when she’s now alone with Koko. Glancing at the widespread of land that Kevin inherited, they are now facing a dilemma on how to pay the taxes to keep it with them. Kevin’s brother, Howie, sent a very good lawyer who brought out Kevin’s innocence and discharged him off the case. Kevin heaved a sigh of relief after that but they knew that their problems are not over yet. When he left Chateau Cordell without completing the five-month period according to the codicil, he lost the chance to get his inheritance. Kristin thought of applying for work to help her husband but Kevin doesn’t want her to. Koko is still young and they both didn’t want other people to take care of Koko either.

Kristin turned when she heard a noise and she saw a red SUV entering their property. Three men and a young woman went out and gave her a smile. “We’re Kevin’s siblings,” the blonde man said. He started introducing himself as Nick and introduced the rest as well. “You must be Kristin.”

“And Koko.” Audrey excitedly smiled.

“Yes, I’m Kristin and this is Koko. It’s nice to meet you. Kevin is in the house. Come on in.” When they got into the porch, they curiously looked at her baby and starting talking with him. Kristin had to laugh. Kevin’s siblings are very excited to see their nephew. She let Audrey carry Koko.

“Who has come, Kristin? I heard noises.” Kevin went out and saw them. He smiled and happily hugged each of them. “I see you met Koko. Watch out, Audrey. That little guy is heavy.”

“I didn’t know he could be this cute and chubby!” Audrey kissed the baby’s forehead and gave him to Howie when he asked for Koko. The little one’s eyes widened at the people who are surrounding him. He didn’t cry but he stared at them as if trying to memorize their faces.

“So what brings you here?” Kevin turned to the men.

“Atty. Kiefer called for everyone to be in LA on Friday.” AJ replied. “We came here to take you with us. Don’t worry. There’s a private plane and Koko had everyone to take care of him.”

Kevin and Kristin looked at each other then he turned back to his brothers. “I want to thank you for the help you’ve given me. James is a great lawyer.” He gripped his wife’s hand. “And we will go with you in LA. We need family outings once in a while, don’t we?”

They nodded with a smile. “Uh, about your taxes, we’re thinking about lending you some…” Nick bit his lower lip. He didn’t know how to put it mildly without hurting Kevin’s pride but he really wanted to help his brother.

“Please, let us, Kev…” Audrey said, too.

Kevin looked at the youngest two. “It may take long for me to pay you, guys. I don’t think –“

“It’s rather us than other people, Kev. We’re your family.” Howie told him. “And seeing this land that you own,” he glanced around, “I don’t want you to lose this. It doesn’t matter if it takes forty years. This land is a treasure in your family.”

Kevin nodded. “Thanks,” He quickly wipes away his tears. His brothers teased him. “Oh, stop it.” He chuckled. “Come inside. My wife made brownies earlier. I think there’s still some left.” He took Koko from Howie. "Fatherhood is great, Howie. I'm telling you."

Koko giggled happily when he's back in his father's arms.

Howie looked with longing in his eyes. "Yeah, I think so. Koko is a cute kid."