- Text Size +

 

 

Howie pulled his luggage outside his apartment. Before locking the door, he takes one last glance in the place he called home for many years since he separated from his mother’s house. He had so many memories here but he had to move on. He will begin a new life in California, where his siblings are. He will start a new life and he intends to include Cixi with him.

“Where are you going?”

Howie turned and saw his mother. Lucia Dorough looked every inch a political dictator. That’s what she is even in her private life, mostly as Howie’s mother. He realized that he never felt having a mother at all, or maybe Lucia had a different way to be one. “I’m leaving. I’m migrating to the States.”

“I see that you enjoyed being with your siblings and decided to live close with them.” Lucia eyed his luggage, a big black stroller bag. “You already moved your things there?”

“Last week.” Howie locked the apartment. He’ll return the keys to his friend who owned the entire building. “I found a nice house in LA. Nick and AJ helped me prepare my papers to live there.”

“You’re leaving me for good?”

Howie turned to his mother. “It will be good for both of us.”

“It will be good for both of us if you’d rather stay here with me.” Lucia told her son. She followed him down the hall towards the elevator. “I will give you everything that you want. Do you want another house, a car? Do you want to run as a governor or get a sure deal with a business? I’ll give it to you.”

Howie stopped. “I don’t need anything except for a mother. I believe you haven’t been one in a very long time.” He sighed. His mother just gaped at what he’s been telling her. “Look, I’ve thought a lot of things when I was in France. My brothers taught me the true meaning of being happy and being rich and it’s not about having lots of money and power. It’s all about having a family and I found it with them. Did you know what? I felt complete. For the first time in my life, I felt peace and contentment that was far from what I’ve been trying to look for when I wanted money and power. And I’ve come to a decision to go and live there, where they are near because frankly, I can’t stand being here and having you dictating my every move. I had enough of that.” The elevator dinged on that floor. “By the way, I’ll probably be getting married soon.”

His words caught his mother off-guard. He ignored her and continued towards the elevator. “You never introduced any woman to me yet.”

“Because I think there’s no use to do that,” Howie retorted.

“So, you found Cixi.”

Howie looked at his mother. “Yes, and you’re not going to stand in my way now. You’re not going to scare her off again because if you did, you will regret it. I’m going to forget that you’re my mother if you did. And that’s why I’m leaving here. I want to be away from you.” The elevator opened and he went inside. He saw his mother as it closed. There goes his past. He's going to live a new chapter of his life now.



~~~



Howie smiled at his cousin, Sophia LaCrouix. “So, is that a promise?” He asks. He went back to Paris for personal reasons, mainly because of Cixi.

Sophia bit her lower lip. “I don’t know, D. You know that I’m always busy with my work and I just can’t leave it.” She brushed a hair strand off her angelic face.

Howie groaned. “Come on. We already talked about this.”

“Oh, okay.” Sophia affectionately touched Howie’s cheeks, “I promise.” They both turned when the back door of the restaurant opened and the person they’ve been waiting for came out. Cixi stopped in her tracks when she saw Howie. “Good luck, cuz.” Sophia quietly said then walked off.

“I told you, I will never give up on you.” Howie said with a smile. “And I’m going to make it so right this time that you’ll find it hard to resist me. I love you very much, Cixi.” Then he knelt down in front of her.

“Howie…” Cixi consciously looked around for any spectators but there’s none, unless some restaurant crew will go out on the back door. “Stand up. Don’t give me that drama.”

But Howie remained on his knees. “I am so sorry for the man that I was. I know that despite my hunger for money and power before, you loved me and tried to show me the way to true happiness. I learned a very hard lesson and I don’t want to lose you again. I don’t want to undergo the agony of living without you again.” Cixi knelt in front of him, too. Howie held her hands and looked at her straight in the eye. “Please, Cixi. Take me back to your life.” He quietly tells her.

In response, Cixi nodded and smiled. She leaned closer to kiss him on the lips. Howie kissed back and in a few moments, they stood up. “It’s been hard for me, too, Howie. Oh, I love you still!” She cried and hugged him. “I missed you so much.”

“Oh, God. I missed you, too.” Howie ran his fingers through her soft hair. “I love you so much. I will always take care of you, and your family. And don’t worry about my mother. She won’t bother us again. I made sure of that.” He kissed her forehead. “I love you, mi querida.”

“I don’t care if she’ll go between us again. I just don’t want to be away from you again.” Howie shushed her when she continued crying. “I will fight for you, Howie. I love you.”

“Let’s get married for real, Cixi. And we’ll live in the States. We’ll bring your family along.” They stared at each other. “Let’s start our new life together now…”