- Text Size +

 

 

Everyone was quiet as Atty. Laxe read the preamble of the second will.

“The second codicil is the statement of my assets which will be carefully given to my beneficiaries, my six children, whether they completed the five-month period of stay at the Chateau Cordell or not. The purpose of the codicil is to make my children realize the importance of family and togetherness that I never had the opportunity to give. I also hope that you found love, compassion, faith, trust and respect towards each other and the importance of everything that surrounds you.” Atty. Laxe read on.

Those were the best things I’ve learned from this codicil, Kevin thought.

Atty. Laxe adjusted his glasses then continued. “Part two of the codicil states the main topic of this meeting. For Kevin Richardson, born on October 3, 1971, you have a full college scholarship. The Treixe Restaurant which has branches in Monte Carlo, Monaco and Paris, France will be under your name as well as a house in Dallas, Texas and the private jet. A hundred million dollars deposited in a bank account is also under your name.

Kevin stared at the lawyer and the only thing that registered on his mind is that he’ll be going to college. He met Howie’s look.

“Flying school, here he comes,” Howie smiled. Kevin couldn’t help but smile wider.

“What? Flying school?” Nick grinned at their eldest brother. “A pilot for a brother? Cool! We can start our new airline company.”

AJ rolled his eyes and smirked. “With just one pilot? You’re kidding! I got a proposal –“ They turned when the lawyer caught their attention.

“If you’ll excuse me, I’d like to continue with the reading of your father’s will. I’m sure that each one of you will be given the appropriate wonderful opportunities by your father.” When no one said anything, he continued. “For Howard Dorough, born on August 22, 1973, you will be the new major stockholder of Ellis Real Estate Corporation and will receive a full special training program at Harvard Business School to develop your competency in the business field. The house in Washington and La Princepessa, the private yacht docked in Puerto Rico will be yours. A hundred million dollars deposited in a bank account is also under your name.

“Harvard Business?” Nick reacted once again. “Man! They got gorgeous ladies there.”

Howie rolled his eyes. “Nick, I’m getting married.”

“May I now precede, Mr. Carter?” Atty. Laxe asked with an amused smile.

“Oh, yes. I’m sorry.”

For Brian Littrell, born on February 20, 1975, you will be the new co-owner of The Royal Suites, a five-star hotel in Miami, Florida and will also receive a special medical support from the American Hearts Society for your mother. As part of your inheritance, a hundred million dollars deposited in a bank and a house in Chicago will be under your name.

They turned to see Brian wiping his tears. They are aware that he can be very emotional when it comes to his mother. Geoffrey was so thoughtful to consider the welfare of Brian’s mother. “Bear with me, guys.” He chuckled. “This is wonderful. I can't hardly wait to tell the news to Mom and Leighanne.”

Atty. Laxe nodded. “Alright, next in line. For Alexander McLean, born on January 9, 1978, the co-ownership of Premiere Film Production Company will be yours. Like Howard, you will also have a special training program at the Harvard Business School to develop your commendable business skills. A hundred million dollars deposited in a bank account and a house in New Jersey is also under your name.

For Nickolas Carter, born on January 28, 1980, the legal son, the first part of his inheritance was already read. In addition, he will succeed in the ownership of the Premiere Recording Company in Los Angeles, the most successful music and film recording company in the industry. A hundred million dollars is already on his bank account.

For Audrey Carter, born on June 21, 1982, the legal daughter, the first part of her inheritance was already read. In addition, a hundred million dollars deposited in a bank account is under your name but will only be received at the time you turn twenty-five. For the meantime, you will have a monthly allowance of thirty-thousand dollars until you graduated from college. In lieu to that, you can be a management trainee to any of the company owned by your brothers. That is until you reach your twenty-fifth birthday and ready to take over the Cart Publishing House which will be temporarily under Kevin Richardson's management.

Atty. Laxe looked at everyone when he’s done. “It’s not over yet, children.”

“There’s more?” Brian asked in surprise. He’s already overwhelmed by the things they inherited from their father and this lawyer told them that it’s not yet over.

“Part three of the codicil.” The lawyer glanced at Barbra. “Madam Barbra was already informed about this yesterday since she assumed the position as the Chief Executive Officer of the GC Holdings at the death of her husband. This is the mother company of all the businesses that were distributed to you. Positions are distributed among the six of you to run the multinational corporation. Kevin Richardson is the new Vice President for General Administration, Howard Dorough is the new Vice President for Business Development, Brian Littrell is the new Vice President for Internal Affairs, Alexander McLean is the new Vice President for Promotions and Advertisement, and Nickolas Carter is the new Vice President for Media Operations. While Audrey Carter is still young, the position as Vice President for Operations is intended for her at the time she turns twenty-five. Furthermore, the special CD collection, the book collection at Chateau Cordell and the access to his online journal will be given to you.” He gives each of them a folder with their name on it. “Inside the folders are documents where you need to sign to legally transfer the assets that were given to you. Among the documents is the letter from the bank for your personal accounts, titles of ownership and the copy of your father’s personal collection and online journal.”

Atty. Laxe signed the codicil and asked everyone to sign it as well. When all’s done, he shook hands with them and went out of the conference room.

Barbra looked at them with a pleased smile. “I would like to remind everyone on the general meeting on Monday at the office. I’m excited to introduce my new team to the company.” She shook hands with them.

“Thank you, Mom.” Nick whispered as he hugs his mother. “I love you.”

Barbra smiled to her son. Geoffrey’s plan on putting them all to Chateau Cordell to bond as a family has changed Nick. “Good luck on your bar exams, Attorney.” Nick smiled.

“I’m happy, Mom.” Audrey turned to her. “Though I still have regrets of not telling Dad how much I care for him, I will try to be the best that I can be. I still have you. I will make you proud of me.” She hugs her mother. Later, Barbra bid goodbye to everyone and went out of the conference room.

“By the way, this calls for a celebration.” AJ said. “My new boutique is set to open on Friday. I have a party at my place afterwards.” He nodded to Howie and they both looked at Nick who is oblivious to something they have planned for their brother.