- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick grew up hating his father for always being away from home and not being the father he expected geoffrey to be. He graduated from a prestigious law school without any plans of really becoming a lawyer but only to use his father's money in a different kind of way. As usual, Geoffrey forgot about attending his son's important event again. While on his way home, he got into an accident.

 

 

Nick is silent all throughout the funeral as family and friends came to him with their condolences on the death of his father. No one could tell what is on his mind and what he is feeling right now. Nick felt numb. He doesn’t even know what to feel ever since he received the news that his father’s car smashed into a truck driven by a drunk driver. He was shocked. He couldn’t find the words to say. Both his father and his driver died on the spot. His mother was crying ever since, so did Audrey. Nick comforted both women but they never saw him show his own emotions.

“Nick?” Brent asked his best friend. He’s worried of Nick. He rarely spoke since what happened and it left Brent wondering what’s going on in his friend’s mind.

Nick nodded. “I’m fine, Brent.” He is thankful that his best friend is always there for him. Brent hugged him for a moment.

Atty. Kiefer excused himself to them. He discreetly tells Nick about the reading of his father's will. Nick frowned at that. “We just got through Dad’s funeral. Is there any other time, Sir?”

“It’s accordance to the will that it should be read right after his funeral.” Atty. Kiefer replied. “I’m sorry, Nick. I know that this is bad timing but you know it, I got rules to follow.”

Nick sighed and excused himself from Brent. Leaving the other relatives in the garden, he followed the family lawyer inside the house, and towards his father’s office. He saw his mother and Audrey were already there. After a few polite greetings, Atty. Kiefer started reading the will. He first mentioned about the major assets will be transferred under their mother’s name, including the transfer of Geoffrey’s bank accounts on her name. Barbra didn’t say anything. Her face still looks gloomy for the loss of her husband. The management of the family business will temporarily fall on her hands as well, to Nick’s surprise. At the back of his mind, he is expecting that he will inherit it since he is the eldest child. Maybe that’s why it’s only temporarily. His father may have a codicil stating on how he will handle those businesses.

When Atty. Kiefer turned to him and Audrey, he knew that his father had a surprise in store for them. “To my eldest son, Nickolas, he will get the majority of shares in the company, the beach houses in Malibu and in the Bahamas because I knew how much he loves the ocean, the management of the private yacht and speedboat at the coast of Seychelles and the possession of my Bentley and Lincoln. To my daughter, Audrey, she will get twenty percent of the shares in the company, the villas in Monaco and the house in London, the management of two private jets and the Ferrari.”

“That’s all?” Audrey exclaimed. “I know Dad has other properties scattered everywhere in the country and the world. And what about any money? Aren’t we going to receive any?”

Nick is only silent, wondering about it as well. He didn’t get any money. Their father is a multi-billionaire. The thought occurred to him as selfish as it may seem. Are they supposed to receive something from their father’s wealth?

“You will be receiving money of course, after you’ve done what your father has asked of you. He had special conditions stated in his will for all his children.” The lawyer replied.

“What do you mean?” Nick asked, frowning.

Atty. Kiefer cleared his throat and glanced at Barbra, who just nodded at him to continue. “Your father had children before he married your mother. Nick, you are the eldest legal child but you have four older half-brothers. Your father generously left something for them too.”

“What?” Nick looked at his mother. “Did you know this, Mom?”

“Yes, Nick. Your father had sons before we get married. I’m the one and only woman he married and never had any affairs. However, he was a ladies’ man when he was at your age.“ Barbra said. “He fathered four sons from four different women.”

“And you never told us about them?” Audrey is frowning as well. “You never introduced them to us.” Their mother didn’t say anything on that.

Nick turned to the lawyer. “What’s my father’s condition?”

“You have to meet your brothers and all of you will live together for five months under one house so that you will get to know each other.” Atty. Kiefer told them. “After that, you will see me again to hear what the other will has been stated for all of you. For the meantime, your father said here, ‘I left each of my children a million dollars as their allowance for five months until Atty. Francis Kiefer will read my second will. If you don’t follow this condition, you will receive nothing. They are going to stay in the house in France where no paparazzi can follow them.’ That’s all, Nick, Audrey.”

Nick drew a deep breath. This is ridiculous. He had four older brothers. He didn’t expect this. And his father’s will is sending them to Chateau Cordell in Paris. He was only there once. He stood up.

“Nick?” Audrey followed her brother.

“Are you coming or not?”

“Are you?”

“’I’ll fight for my right as the legal child.” Nick only answered and went out of the office.