- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick and Audrey were surprised when the lawyer read the codicil and found out that they have older siblings outside their parents' marriage. They need to live with them for five months in a house in France and after the said period of time, they will hear the second will pertaining to the rest of their father's assets.

 

 

Nick slammed the car door shut as he reached the restaurant where he’s going to meet Brent. He instantly saw him getting busy with his PDA. Sitting beside him is his girlfriend, Jill. They chose to sit at a table outside the restaurant. “Hey,” he greeted and sat opposite the two.

Jill smiled. “Did you already eat?”

“A little.” Nick adjusted his shades. He spotted a paparazzi lurking on a corner. He took a cigarette from his packet and lit it up. “I won’t buy the house yet.” He said after taking a drag on his cigarette.

“Why?” Brent looked at his friend.

“I’m going to France. I’ll be there for like five months.” Nick looked up at the waiter who approached them. He only ordered a sandwich and soda. “Father’s will, you know.”

The couple looked at each other than back to him. “Your father asked you to stay in some French villa?” Jill asked.

“Correct. Apparently, Daddy had four other sons before me and he wanted us to know each other well before the reading of the second will.” Nick drew a deep breath. They turned when a blonde woman approached their table. “Hey, Paris.”

“Hey, Nick. I just saw you and I was thinking if you’d like to go with me tomorrow night at a Bacardi Party in the Viper Room?” Paris showed her best charming smile to him.

“Oh, that’s tomorrow?” Nick paused and thought for a moment. Paris looked hopefully, as her hands were busy running along the back of the little dog in her arms. “I’m sorry but you see, my Dad just died four days ago. I can’t go with you. Thanks for the invitation.”

“Oh.” Paris’s face reddened from his rejection. “Okay. I guess, some other time then.” She said her goodbyes and immediately left.

Brent looked at Nick. “You just refused Paris Hilton, Nick. Did you realize that?”

“The quasi-heiress? Who cares? Besides, I’m richer than her.” Nick smiled at the waiter who brought his ordered food. “And, she approached me on a wrong timing. Didn’t she read the paper that I just lost my father? That’s very inconsiderate of her.” Nick rolled his eyes. He drinks his soda. “Besides, I got an early flight tomorrow to Paris, that’s a place in France.” He smirked. “I have to be there ahead of my brothers. The will said so, that I should prepare Chateau Cordell for them.”

“How did you suddenly have four brothers?” Brent leaned back on his chair and watched as Nick eats his food.

“It’s just simple. Dad’s a rich hotshot and women swarm around him. There was sex and babies but when he married Mom, he never had anyone ever since.” Nick said, as if he already perceived the idea of suddenly having strangers as his siblings. It just seemed so natural for him. “I’m actually looking forward into meeting them.”

“Did Atty. Kiefer brief you about your brothers?”

Nick nodded and took a moment to chew his food first. “Yes. I asked him to. The oldest one is turning thirty in October while the youngest one is the son of former actress Eliza McLean. I didn’t know that he’s my brother.”

“AJ?” Brent chuckled. “You just had a fight with him two weeks ago. Careful, man. He’s not yet through with you.”

“I don’t care. I’m still the legal son. I still get more among us.” He finished his food. When he’s done, he started with another stick of cigarette. “I heard that one of my brothers is getting married but rescheduled it because of this. One is a son of a famous political icon. And then there’s this one who’s a farmer. Can you believe that? My father spread his genes everywhere.” He shakes his head.

“Come on, Nick. Maybe your dad just got a lot of love in him. Didn’t you ever feel sad about losing him? I mean, you never had a nice talk –“

“Don’t start, Brent.” Nick drew a deep breath. “I don’t want to talk about it.” He takes a drag on his cigarette before he continues. “It’s sad but I guess that’s just the way life is. I’m moving on.”

Brent only shakes his head. He really couldn’t take the truth out from his friend. Nick closed his heart and it was as if he’s already incapable of emotions. It maybe his father’s fault to mold him to become the person that he is now but Brent also thinks that Nick chose to be like this to prevent himself from the feeling of pain. He chose to put walls around him to protect himself. Brent wondered how to get through that barrier. He loves his friend and he wanted Nick to be happy. His only hope is that this five-month experience with his brothers will change Nick – somehow.



~~~



Nick raised an eyebrow when he saw his sister walking inside the private jet in her pair of olive green buttoned blouse and skirt. He rolled his eyes. Audrey grew up in a strict boarding school and she got used to wearing those conservative clothes as if she’s going to office for work. He watched as she carefully sits on the chair opposite his and thoughtfully smoothed out her skirt. Then she remained seated in her chair, her hands folded in her lap.

“How do you manage that?” He asked her.

“What?”

“Being that prim and proper,” Nick replied.

“Am I?” Audrey innocently asked. Nick only nodded. “I don’t know. I guess I’m just really comfortable with this.”

“That’s because that’s what you got used to do. Those people in that boarding school stuck in your mind that wearing those boring clothes is the proper thing. Anyway, that’s okay. You looked very respectable.” Nick turned to his hand-carry bag and retrieved his medicines. He doesn’t want to offend his sister by telling her that she looked outdated with her clothes. He doesn’t know how.

“What’s that?”

“Sleeping pills.”

“Why?”

“I don’t like flying. I’d like to sleep on this flight.”

Audrey nodded. There was silence after that. They turned when Atty. Kiefer appeared inside the cabin and smiled at them. “Children, your father entrusted the will to give this to you.” He gives them a credit card each. “It has a credit limit of a million dollars as your allowance for five months. Have a nice trip and I’ll see you after five months.”

“Wait. This is the million he’s talking about?” Nick frowned. He thought the money would be in his bank account. What were his father’s plans then?

“Yes, Nick.” Atty. Kiefer turned to Audrey. “It’ll be nice if you spare a time for shopping your clothes there, Audrey. You will live in Paris for five months. I hope that it’d somehow help your preference in clothing. You’re a pretty lady and you’ll look better with the clothes that are more fashionable.” He winked and then left.

Audrey turned to her brother. “What is he talking about?”

“He just read my mind.” Nick only replied and stood up.