- Text Size +

 

 

 

Nick ordered the maid to leave after announcing that AJ already arrived. ‘The nightmare has begun,’ he thought idly. He didn’t move from the lounge chair where he is and soaked himself under the sun. He already instructed the butler to bring the newcomers to their own rooms. He doesn’t have to be there to welcome them.

“I was expecting a warm welcome and I’m disappointed when you weren’t there at the front door,” AJ started.

Nick frowned and opened his eyes. He saw AJ standing at the edge of the pool and marveling the beautiful sight ahead of them. Beyond them is a vast spread of land in which a part of it has fruit-bearing trees such as apples, pears, apricots, plums and olives. “You’re early.” He only said.

“Atty. Kiefer told everyone that today marks the start of five-month torture of living with you.” AJ replied.

“The same thing goes here.” Nick said and stood up. “I don’t know what Dad’s plans were.”

“Maybe he wanted to punish you and we’re here to be his instruments to turn you from being the bad boy into a saint.” AJ sarcastically said. He started lighting his cigarette. “Where’s Audrey?”

“She’s in her room.” Nick watched as AJ turned to leave. “Why?”

“I’m taking her out for shopping. You’re not telling her what looks better on her. She looks like an old maid.” Can anyone blame him if he’s only concerned with his half-sister?

Nick laughed. “You sound like a woman, AJ. Are you gay?”

“Fuck you, Nick.” AJ yelled from the door before going back inside the big house.



~~~



AJ was about to look for the butler to ask where is Audrey’s room when he already saw her walking down the grand staircase in her usual get-up: a pair of buttoned blouse and skirt that reminds him of his mother’s lawyer. “Hi, Audrey. I’m AJ.”

Audrey smiled shyly and shook hands with him. “Uh, hi, brother.” They stood awkwardly against each other. She doesn’t know what to expect from her other brothers. Apparently, this one is trying to extend friendship with her. She appreciates that. She doesn’t need hostility or whatever. She wanted to have a good relationship with her other brothers. “How are you? Have you already seen Nick?”

AJ nodded. “Actually, I told him that I’m taking you out for shopping. We have Daddy’s one million dollars. What’s the better way to spend it than shopping for clothes? Come on.”

“Uh…” Audrey shyly bit her lower lip. But AJ pulled her hand and they walked towards the front door. They stopped when the butler opened it and revealed a blonde man and another man with exotic features. Obviously, their other brothers have arrived. Only one brother left.

“Oh, hi. I’m AJ and this is Audrey, our sister.” AJ immediately greeted to ease the tension. He extended his hand and the newcomers immediately shook it. Audrey did the same. “Welcome to Chateau Cordell, the true home of who wants to be a billionaire.” Audrey couldn’t help but chuckle at AJ’s joke.

“I’m Brian,” the blonde one said. “I’m from Kentucky and uh, I guess the third eldest among us.”

The other man nodded. “Yes, because I’m the second eldest. Atty. Kiefer briefed me about my siblings. Hi, I’m Howie.”

“Oh, the guests are here.”

They turned and saw Nick at the hall. AJ rolled his eyes. “They’re not guests, Nick. They are your brothers. Do you remember? Or do I have to bang your head against the wall to make you remember?”

“There’s no need to be morbid, AJ.” Nick crossed his arms across his chest as he looked at Brian and Howie. “I’m Nick.”

The two just looked at him. “We can see that,” Howie replied. He turned to the butler. “Where’s my room? I’m tired.” Brian seconded it. They never gave Nick a second look as the butler led the way towards their rooms upstairs.

“Nick was snubbed,” AJ teased and took Audrey out. Nick was alone at the foyer, having a deep frown across his face. He won’t let this happen. No one has the right to snub him. These people should know that he is the legal son and they’re just lucky for having a generous father such as Geoffrey Carter.