- Text Size +

 

 

‘This is ridiculous,’ Nick muttered as he makes his way towards the main dining area. He heard AJ’s excited voice talking animatedly with the others. And then he heard Audrey’s laugh. He frowned. What are they talking about? He felt jealous when he realized that Audrey is already getting along well with them. He entered the dining room and everyone turned to him. He mentally counted them and found out that there’s still one brother missing, the oldest one – the farmer. He smirked and shook his head. Kevin must have decided to walk from his farm to the airport to cause such delay.

“Where’s the other one?” He asked them.

“Should we know?” AJ raised an eyebrow. “He must have had problems with his flight.” Nick ignored AJ and went to sit at the head of the table. “Stop it right there, Nick. Kevin will own that seat from now on.” AJ said, referring to their oldest brother who hasn’t arrived yet.

“I’m the legal son. I should be the one sitting here.”

“We know, but Kevin is the eldest. He should be the only one to sit there.” Howie retorted. Everyone is looking at Nick now, whose face reddened with embarrassment. AJ smirked. He is beginning to like this.

“You can sit beside me instead,” Brian offered. There’s a table setting beside him, far from where Nick wanted to sit. He said it just to end the issue.

“Maybe we can take turns in sitting at the head of the table.” Audrey said, trying to rescue her brother.

“Oh, please, Audrey. This is not a big deal. This is just a seating arrangement. In respect to the eldest one among us, it’s just proper to let Kevin get that position and not Nick.” AJ rolled his eyes.

“Fine.” Nick stood up from the seat and walked out of the dining room. There was an awkward silence after that. Audrey bit her lower lip and stood up to follow her brother. She saw him down the hall. “Nick! Wait up.”

“Leave me alone, Audrey. I don’t want to eat anymore. Tell those bastards to have a nice time eating. It may be their last.” Nick said. His back turned to her as he continued walking. “Fuck them.”

Audrey sighed. “Did you know why they’re doing this to you? Because you’re very arrogant and self-centered. You felt that you’re the most important person in this house. News flash, Nick. You’re not just the only son. Dad had other sons where he can be prouder than having you. And I’m glad that I have them as brothers. They were very nice people. If you’ll just take on humility, you will realize and appreciate how blessed are we for having this opportunity to spend some time with them.”

“Whatever,” Nick only replied and continued on his way. Audrey watched him go before returning to the dining room where her other brothers already started having a conversation.



~~~



Nick found a cozy restaurant where he planned to chill out and ease away his irritation from what’s been going on back home. He hated it when he doesn’t get the upper hand in the situation. He always wanted to be at the lead of the game, the one who gets the most attention.

He found an empty small table and quickly settled himself on it. A waiter came to take his order. Nick scrambled his words in French to tell what he wanted. Soon after, the waiter left. Nick drew out a deep breath and looked around. He’s outside the restaurant where he can see people going to and fro the street and few cars passing by. He lit up a cigarette and began smoking.

He continued looking around until his gaze fell to a woman of whom is busy writing something on a small spring notebook. He looked at her from head to feet. She had curly brown hair tied in a ponytail. He can see light freckles on her face as her head turned up and met his look. They stared at each other for a while until the woman was the first to turn away to get back on her writing. She’s not that pretty in comparison to the women he dated. But she’s attractive in a way he couldn’t describe. She got his attention without even trying and it surprised Nick that he couldn’t even stand up and walk over to her. Shyness took over immediately and he wondered where it came from.

The woman seemed busy as she tried to eat and write at the same time. Her mobile phone rang and answered it immediately. She spoke in perfect English and Nick knew that she’s not French.

The waiter arrived with his order and he began eating his food while casually taking quick glances at the mysterious woman. What could be her name? What is she doing? Does she have a boyfriend? Thoughts filled his mind about her. And it’s odd that he doesn’t have the courage to introduce himself to her. What is he going to say? ‘Hi, I’m Nick. What’s yours?’

Nick shakes his head. That’s lame. ‘Hi, I’m Nick. I’d like to know you.’ Nick shakes his head again as he swallowed his food.

‘Hi, I’m Nick. I was on the other table and happened to see you. I’d like to be your friend.’

‘Hi, I’m Nick. I saw you from the other table and was wondering what your name is.’

Aargh. What’s happening to him? He looked at the woman and found her smiling, probably to someone she’s talking with on the other line. She turned on his way and she smiled wider. Nick smiled back. Maybe, that’s a start. He stayed for another half an hour, even after he finished with his food and the waiter took it away and cleared his table. The woman resumed to writing something on her notebook. Another more fifteen minutes and she finally stood up to leave. But unlike what Nick would usually do, he only watched her walk away instead of following her.

Then and there, he realized that she’s no ordinary woman. He just couldn’t easily flirt with her and seduce her to sleep with him tonight. He felt that she’s just not that type of woman.