- Text Size +

 

 

 

“Did the other one already arrive?” Howie asked Brian, AJ and Audrey as they walked towards the fruit grove. They brought along a big basket in case they saw some fruits that are ready for harvest.

“Not yet. I wonder what happened to him.” Brian said as he helped Audrey stepped over a small ditch. “Where’s Nick?” They glanced at Audrey.

Audrey shrugged. “Should I know? I hate his stubbornness. He’s a big spoiled kid.”

“Why is he like that? I mean,” Howie continued on his walk, “I always see him in the news. He’s always getting into trouble with the authorities like that driving incident once. I’m surprised that he wasn’t in jail for a long time.”

Audrey rolled her eyes. “It’s called the power of money and influence, Howie. Nick can have that when he wants to. He’s very arrogant when it comes to that.” She sighed. “And it’s rebellion. We grew up not having Dad most of the time. There’s nothing different with you, growing up without your father. We almost have the same experience. Dad’s away most of the time. Nick doesn’t like that especially when he’s at school. He’s a smart guy, actually. He’s always given a special recognition at the end of the school year but our Dad was never there to walk with him on the stage. That’s when he decided to get Dad’s attention in a different way.” Audrey replied.

“That’s not the right way.” Brian shakes his head. “Drinking and driving, going around with different kinds of girls, disrespect to the police authorities…it’s not the solution, Audrey.”

“Tell that to Nick.” AJ said. “By the way, have you ever wondered why did our father wanted us to live together for five months here in France?”

Nobody answered. AJ sighed. He followed them when they spotted an apple tree with lots of red fruits on it. Audrey was excited to see it that she immediately asked Howie to climb up the tree and get her some. He smiled. He grew fond of the young woman and he was glad when he took her out to shopping yesterday. It seems like the woman never had the time to do that back in LA. He’ll take note of that. He’ll tell the others how to make Audrey feel normal and not to live like some rich kid who’s used to ordering people around. She should know how to live a life independently, unlike her older brother.

“Have you been to Puerto Rico, Audrey?” Howie asked from up the tree. AJ sat down on the ground and watched them. Brian turned to him as Audrey talked with Howie.

“Aren’t you going to help us out?” Brian asked.

AJ shakes his head. “The last time I climbed up the tree, I fell from it. I’m still trying to recover from the trauma,” he joked. The truth is he’s just taking the moment to enjoy this time with his siblings. He wondered before on how it feels like to have one sibling. Now that he had four brothers and one sister, he felt he belonged to a family. He liked it.

“You’re really weird, AJ. Did you know that?” Brian grinned.

“I was told about it many times.” AJ smiled. They turned when Howie yelled from the tree, asking Brian to prepare the basket as he is going to drop the apples he took. Audrey is jumping excitedly. ‘Dad, I hope your plan turns out well, whatever it is.’ AJ thought as Brian followed Howie up the tree, slipping off his sandals on the side. AJ stood up to help Audrey with the apples she failed to catch and fell to the ground instead.



~~~



Nick placed his cigarette on the ashtray as he watched his siblings came back from the grove, laughing aloud and joking around. He is really jealous. He wanted to join them but pride came first. He doesn’t know how to approach them without making them laugh at him.

“Now, I wonder what we are going to do with all of these.” Brian said as he and Howie sets down the basket full of different kinds of fruits.

“Let’s have a fruit party.” Audrey suggested excitedly. She looks like a kid taken inside a candy store for the first time.

Nick smirked. Audrey can be really a kid sometimes. AJ rolled his eyes. “That’s just corny, Audrey. Your idea is solely reserve for the girls in boarding school. You’re in Paris with your brothers and we don’t do a fruit party dressed up in our pajamas and hair done in pigtails.”

“Oh, okay.” Audrey shrugged and flipped back her brown hair. She only smiled shyly.

“You can make a fruit salad or some pies.” Nick suggested. The four turned to where he is sitting, on a lounge chair beside the swimming pool.

“Are we asking for your opinion?” AJ sarcastically retorted.

“Hey, AJ. Why do you always do that?” Brian said. He glared at the younger one and then turned to Nick. “We can consider that, Nick. Would you like to help us?’

“I can make pies.” Nick casually said, standing up from the chair. He received doubtful looks in return. “What do you think of me? I can do that. I know how. Would you believe it when I tell you that I learned it from Harvard?” He laughed at himself. He had a friend in law school who taught him how to cook when he’s trying to get some girl on a date and wanted to impress her. He had some effort on that but in the end, his mission failed. The girl doesn’t like him in return.

“Oh, okay. Whatever you say, kid.” Howie said as he and Brian picked up the basket once again and takes it inside. “Follow us and let’s see what you can do.” He added. Nick stuck out his tongue to AJ when the two men went ahead. AJ did the same. ‘Oh, dear.’ Audrey thought and just shook her head as she watched the two. She pushed them inside the house.