- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I had writer's block and that is why I took a bit long to update but I finally got some inspiration so here it is. Feedback Is well Appreciate.
Still..Transylvania, year 1806

They were going to enter the castle from a backdoor which first appeared to be only a wall. Rico had leaned against a stone in the wall and the walls began to part. Angella was surprised, she watched the wall open in surprise. This is magic! Just like in the fairy tales about secret doors in castles.
Rico had seen her startled expression so he lightly patted her shoulder. ‘’Come on, Angella, we can’t stay here forever.’’
She obeyed and followed him inside. They were now in a hallway lighted by torches. She followed him, cautiously waiting what would happen next. But anything is better than returning home. And it seems like he’s not going to hurt me.

He began to open a heavy oak wood door, it screeched a bit, echoing the sound into the walls of the hallway.
‘’Come in, it’s the kitchen. You just sit down at the table and wait till breakfast’s ready, ok?’’ he smiled at her, motioning to sit down.
‘’Thank you...’’she stuttered, overwhelmed by the grandeur of the kitchen. The furniture wasn’t broken, the floor was clean, also the stove. She wasn’t used to a sight like this, the kitchen in her home was messy and dirty, everything was broken, but here it was like she’d imagined how in a nobleman’s house it should look like.

‘’Here, have some tea’’ he placed a cup in front of her.
‘’What kind of herbs is it from?’’ she asked.
‘’I don’t know how that was called in its special name, but basically, it is tea from India...’’ he explained, putting a bit of butter in a frying pan.
She knew what ‘’tea from India’’ meant. She had seen the merchant on the market. A small bag of those dried leaves costs a whole fortune. Only the richest noblemen bought it. She had been really curious how this would taste, but how could she get something so unreachable. And now she was a guest in the seemingly richest house in town.

Rico watched her from the corner of his eye. He didn’t know why Madam had chosen this girl, but it was not his business. But he could say for sure that she was easy to scare and cautious in her works. And one of the best evidences for that was the slowly healing blue spot on her face. Poor little girl! Who did beat her that bad? I better let her get adjusted to the surroundings, it seems like I could scare her easily.
He turned back to the stove, starting to prepare the breakfast.

‘’Hello Angella! Welcome to Bran castle.’’ A soft, melodic female voice woke Angella from her tranquility. She hadn’t heard any steps, and she was very well trained to hear those. Hearing her father coming closer was her only chance to escape and hopefully not get beaten. But right now she had been too sunk into gazing at the fine gold decoration of the cup and the seeming safety of the surrounding that this sudden intrusion made her drop the cup. It crashed against the pawed floor, crashing into hundreds of tiny pieces.

‘’I’m sorry, madam...I didn’t intent to mess...I...I’’ Angella stuttered, fearing what will come next.
‘’Hey, don’t worry.’’ The lady patted Angella’s shoulder. ‘’It’s just a cup. We’ll get
you a new one.’’
Angella didn’t expect such attitude. She knew she had broken valuable china, for that at home she would’ve got a bad beating. Or something worse. But this lady seemed so kind.
‘’Rico, clean the mess and give Angella another cup.’’ She sat down facing Angella.

‘’You might wonder who I am, and it was bad I didn’t introduce myself. I am Countess Hilda Rabbittesh, I own this castle and lands around it. But that’s not the matter now.’’
‘’What is it then, Countess?’’ the girl asked, taking a new cup of tea from Rico.
‘’I know the situation in your family...so it would be better if you stayed at least temporarily here... ‘’ the Countess said, looking Angella deep into the eyes. The girl stirred a bit from the cold ice blue gaze, but she realized that the Countess isn’t going to do her any harm.

‘’Breakfast, Madam?’’ Rico asked, putting a plate in front of Hilda.
‘’Thanks, I ate something at night so I don’t want anything. But make sure you feed the girl well. She looks like she’s suffering of malnutrition.’’ Hilda glanced over the girl’s petite frame, seeing her pale face. Sure, Hilda was really pale herself, but it had another reason. A reason what was ruling her life.

Angella stared at her plate. The scrambled eggs and bacon looked so delicious she could swallow everything in one bite; she hadn’t eaten something since last morning. At home she was happy to have at least a bit to eat, so the meal offered here seemed incredible.
‘’Eat child, don’t hesitate...’’ the Countess whispered, standing up. ‘’And Rico, after she has finished eating, bring her up to her room, she needs to rest, the night spent in the forest wasn’t too comfortable for her.’’

The girl watched how the Countess went for the door, the ruby red velvet gown swishing over the pawed floor. This is the most beautiful gown I’ve ever seen. Angella caught herself thinking about the Countess.

‘’I’ll see you again in the evening...’’ Hilda said, looking back to Angella. This time she used the door out of the kitchen. Vanishing into nowhere would scare to death the poor thing. Though that is more comfortable as walking. She smiled to herself as she remembered the effect her sudden appearance had made on the girl.

After the door separating the kitchen from the hall was closed she could use again her powers. Appearing from dust was only one of her vampire powers. But right now she had something more important to think about than her powers. The prophecy. I waited two hundred years for this part to come true. I should rescue a hopeless soul and out of her free will make her like me. A vampire. Would she want it? She has the urge to gain revenge. That, I can understand. Her life till now was a misery. The time for splendor has come. And I know she has a longing for the luxury life...I can give it to her. I have the feeling that she would accept my offer.

‘’It looks like you’re finished...’’ Rico said, gathering the plates from the table.
‘’Yes, I am...I’ll help you with dishwashing...’’ she stood up, looking for the washing cloth.
‘’I’ll do them later, it’s not too much...and you’re our guest, so please, relax. Let’s go, I’ll show you your room.’’ He said, motioning her to the door at the end of the kitchen.
The door closed behind Rico and Angella was left in her room. She looked around and smirked. The room I used to live in looks like a pig barn compared to this.
She touched the polished wood of the bedpost and gazed at the velvet quilt. I feel like a princess...the room definitely fits the needs of one. She saw a white nightdress hanging over the back of a chair. She lifted it up, feeling the fine garment on her hand. Could it be silk? She had once touched a piece of the fine material. Before I got hushed away from the merchant’s stand as a dirty farmer. I gotta try it on.Quicky tossing away her dress she pulled on the nightshirt. Fatigue from her last night’s horror took over her, so she slid under the soft covers. I could stay here for forever...I’ve never felt so good and safe in my whole life. She thought as she drifted off to sleep.