- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
What? Update in the middle of the week? *gasp* :) Thanks so much to everyone who has reviewed, and to whomever got us on the Featured Stories list.
"God, I love taking you shopping," AJ decided as he held tight to Alana's hand, walking around the first swimwear shop they had found at the local mall. Natalie lingered on the other side of the swimwear, pulling out items that she liked as she watched AJ select for Alana. It was amusing to say the very least, AJ finding the most provocative swimwear and tossing it onto their linked arms as Alana's eyes just widened in shock. Natalie couldn't wait to tell Nick, loving to ruffle the man's feathers. Though, AJ's raspy voice caught her attention. "It's like having my own private Victoria's Secret model, Al. Only far more gorgeous with a talented voice to boot. You really should take D up on the offer for a contract-Damn, you'd look hot in this!"

"You mind talking a little louder, AJ?" Natalie questioned with a roll of her eyes, scooping up her selections.

"She's just jealous 'cause you're breathtaking," AJ decided loudly as he glanced to Alana, grinning when Natalie scowled darkly.

"I think Natalie's gorgeous," Alana answered honestly as she ran her fingers over a light lavender bikini bottom. "Dark, bohemian beauties are absolutely breathtaking. Not tall, gangly blondes who spend every waking moment fighting femininity."

"Thank you, Alana," Natalie cooed. Though, when she turned to go to the dressing room, she stopped, not quite sure if it had been a compliment or not. "…I think…"

"You're not gangly," AJ disagreed, squeezing Alana's hand gently. "And why do you fight femininity?"

"You're beautiful, Natalie," Alana corrected at her new friend's puzzled expression. When her lips curved into a beaming smile, Alana playfully rolled her eyes and motioned for Natalie to go inside the dressing room. When the older woman disappeared, Alana glanced back to AJ who was intently searching through the various styles. "No thongs or G-strings, how 'bout it? No need to see my bare white ass flopping out."

"But… Your ass isn't white," AJ snorted, reaching to pluck at the waistband of the jean shorts she wore as though he were going to look himself. Chuckling when she slapped his hand away, he pulled back, looking towards the rack. "Fine, fine… No one pieces, though--"

"What's wrong with a one piece?" Alana inquired incredulously, moving him toward the specific rack of one pieces.

"Because only old ladies and little kids wear one pieces," AJ whined.

"What about those cute little skirts?" she teased further, holding a large bathing suit out that was stripped with hot orange and a matching skirt. She held it to her small frame, waiting for his reaction.

"They hide the gorgeousness that is a beautiful woman's legs," AJ disagreed, shaking his head. "And, that color makes me want to barf--"

"You ain't kidding," Alana agreed with a smirk, pushing the suit back amongst its peers. "And I think my legs are already too damn long to begin with. Might be easier to hide them with some goofy skirt…"

"No, no, no," AJ insisted, grabbing her hand to drag her back to the bikinis. Plucking through the racks, he shook his head at each selection, grumbling under his breath. Just when he thought it was a lost cause, he finally jerked one rack out, holding it in front of her. Smiling when he saw her reaction, he backed towards the dressing room, holding out the bright purple bikini. "It'll show off your legs… And you should really show off those legs, babe--"

"And why do I need to show off these legs, Babe?" Alana countered as AJ dragged her toward the dressing rooms. Her eyebrows arched in question as he opened the door and pushed her inside. When she fell to the padded bench in the large dressing room, she had to squeal as the door closed, concealing both of them inside. "AJ!"

"Try it on?" he requested, handing it over.

From the next dressing room came a snort of laughter. "I am so telling Bumpkin about this…"

"I am not trying this on with you in the room," Alana insisted, banging a fist against the wall connecting her dressing room to Natalie's dressing room. At the short crash, curse, and squeal, Alana grinned with satisfaction, leaning down to untie her shoes, though AJ beat her to it.

"Not funny, Alana! I could've broke my neck!" Natalie whined.

"I would have held you together till the paramedics came, Nat," Alana promised as she felt AJ's hands moving to the low rise waist of her jean shorts. In a quick snap, he had them on the ground and was reaching for her tank top. "AJ! I can undress myself!"

"Well! You weren't doing anything but sitting there," AJ explained with a heavy sigh, leaning against the door once more. "Hurry up, Babycakes--"

"I was kind of waiting for you to get out of…" Alana trailed into a pointless argument as she shrugged her bare shoulders. Moving to stand, she switched AJ places within the dressing room. Natalie was still rambling in an argumentative whine and Alana simple pulled the low rise, string tied bottoms from the hanger. Sliding them onto her petite form over her boy-cut underwear, she allowed AJ to knot the strings at the swell of her hips. Then, turning her back to him, she slipped off her tank top and sports bra, reaching for the triangular cut, string bikini top. Feeling hands on her back, she rolled her eyes as AJ tied the strings around her neck and back, simply adjusting herself before turning to face him. Playing with the strings at her hips, she waited for his reaction. The triangular bottoms with the side ties lay several inches away from her pierced belly button and wore high on her hips, accentuating the long length of her silky legs. The triangular, purple tie-dye string top hugged her large breasts and flaunted her sleek style. Pulling her long locks away from her face, she arched her brows toward AJ.

"Nice," AJ approved with a slow nod.

"Which means you hate it," Alana guessed with a bemused smile, trying not to show her hurt as she suddenly felt extremely uncomfortable with her body. Shifting her long locks so they spilled over her shoulders, she knocked on the wall. "Find anything good, Nat?"

"Well, actually, I can't decide between--"

"I didn't say I hated it," AJ growled, tugging Alana around so she was facing him. Placing his hands on her waist, he let his eyes rove over her body, smirking. "I love it, Babe… It just makes me want to--"

"Alana, if he's groping, just tell him his dogs are better looking than him. It works every time," Natalie informed from the other dressing room.

"At least I don't get compared to my dogs' asses like some women, Naughty," AJ barked.

"So if I buy this, can we just consider this little shopping trip over?" Alana questioned hopefully.

"Hey, at least I don't act like your dogs' asses," Natalie shot back with a snort. "And, Alana, I could really use some help over here--"

"Whichever one hides your face," AJ decided, yelping when a shoe connected with his head.

Alana rolled her eyes with a smirk. "Alright, I'll be right over, just give me a chance to change--"

"No! I want to see the suit you're getting!"

"Always told B that she was a dyke," AJ grumbled under his breath, ducking to avoid the next shoe that flew over the partition.

"You two are horrible to one another," Alana observed as she assessed her reflection in the full length mirror. "And there's nothing like running out in a store in your underwear…" Reaching for the doorknob, she pushed the door open and stepped out with every intent of running right over to Natalie's area. But she found a pair of infuriated indigo eyes glaring at her and the waiting man in her dressing room. "Oh fuck me sideways!" Alana yelped, hurrying back inside the room and hopping onto the bench with every intention of vaulting over to the opposite room.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?!" Nick growled at AJ, snatching the man from the dressing room. Ignoring the older man's protests, he pushed him away before stepping inside and slamming the door shut behind him. Looping his arm around Alana's waist, he jerked her down so she was standing in front of him. "Are you insane?!"

After a full moment's silence, Natalie's soft sigh could be heard from the next room. "They're going to end up having sex right there and here I stand…"

"Shut up, Natalie!" Nick and AJ both echoed sharply.

"What did I do wrong this time?" Alana groaned as she pressed her back tightly against the wall, staring up into Nick's chillingly icy blue eyes. She couldn't understand what was so wrong. AJ was buying the swimsuit and he wanted to see what he was buying. Holding her breath, she waited for some kind of outburst, flinching slightly.

"The top is supposed to hang lower on your chest," Nick whispered softly, letting her see his smirk as his fingers trailed up to adjust the material. "Like… That… And you didn't do anything wrong, Beautiful… AJ just doesn't know how to keep his hands to himself, and I was worried that he'd put some move on you," he explained, cupping her face in his hands as he moved closer.

"Nickalicious…" Alana trailed in bewilderment as she smiled in sweet surprise.

"Besides… I was jealous as Hell that he got to see this on you before I did--"

"You didn't even know that I was trying this on…"

"I knew you were trying on swimsuits, that was torture enough--" Nick groaned when there was a soft knock on the door

"You almost done in there? I need to go get some shoes, and then we have to go by the toy store and get something for Bay-Bee--"

"Alright, Nat," Alana interrupted as she listened to AJ cursing softly just beside the woman. She leaned forward to seek Nick's lips out for a gentle kiss. She had honestly wished that he was the one to come shopping with her. She would have had far more fun trying on swimsuits for him. Perhaps a few outfits for clubbing in the Bahamas. But Natalie was running this trip. "Show's over. I guess I better get changed."

"AJ, damnit!" Natalie yelped. Then, a resigned sigh. "I've just been informed that AJ will be taking me to pick out a toy for Bay, and you two are on your own. Because, well, I think he's too much of a wimp to see Nick face to face right now, and--"

"Thanks, Nat," Nick crooned with a chuckle, before turning back to kiss Alana once again. "Where were we?"

"I'm not really sure," Alana admitted as she heard Natalie squeal again as she was yanked out of the store. Glancing into Nick's clearing indigo eyes, she tentatively licked her lips. "I think we were somewhere between knowing I was trying on bikinis was torture and--"

"Me taking it off you," Nick finished softly, moving to sit on the bench. Pulling her into his lap, he gave her a grin, his lips finding hers once more.

"Nickalicious," she purred softly with surprise, wrapping her arms around his neck to steady herself. Though, propping her elbows upon his shoulders, she easily ran her fingers through his messy blonde locks. She loved the haphazard spikes moving in different directions, allowing her to play with them as she pleased. Hardening her lips against his, she snuck her tongue into his mouth, gingerly lapping at his tongue. The taste of soda lingered and she had to grin.

Nick wasted no time in removing the lower half of her bikini, one hand moving to quickly untie the top as he sucked her bottom lip into his mouth. Nibbling softly, he shivered with anticipation, knowing they had to hurry before they were caught. "Alana, I--"

"Can someone toss me my shoes?" Natalie's voice interrupted. "I kind of need them--"

"Damnit," Alana groaned softly as she broke their kisses, glancing to find Natalie's heeled sandals on the floor. Pulling away from Nick's lap, she scooped up the shoes and pushed them out from underneath the door. Hearing Natalie's excitedly squeal, Alana crossed her arms over her breasts and glanced toward Nick. "This is a preview of the Bahamas. Of course, I guess I'm rooming with AJ, so--"

"There's no damn way you're rooming with AJ. If I have to chain the man to a boat, you're not rooming with him--"

"Then I'll just stay with Baylee and be the babysitter, alright?" Alana suggested as she stooped to grab her jean shorts, tank top, and sports bra. Pushing them all into Nick's lap, she then grasped her jean shorts to pull them on. "Nat and Brian are going to want some time to themselves…"

"Nat and Brian can do what normal couples with children do and wait till the child goes to bed," Nick suggested with a sigh. "You're not going to be a babysitter, Beautiful. Hell, I'll-I know! I'll call Aaron!"

Alana's teal eyes grew wide in surprise. "Aaron?"

"My kid brother. Baylee loves him, he's been whining about not having any fun lately, and I haven't hung around with him in a while… This is perfect! I'll call him--"

"I know who he is. He was at the concert. I met him for like two minutes--"

"Alright then. Perfect. That way that annoying Gnat can have Brian and I can have you--"

"You already have me," Alana promised as she pulled on her sports bra and then her tank top. Grasping her strawberry locks, she tossed them into a high ponytail and glanced down to Nick. Unable to help herself, she crawled into Nick's lap and wrapped her arms around his waist. "I'd like to spend some time with Aaron, too, y'know. To know your little brother. You love him so much and… I'd just like to meet him…"

"You just said you met him at the concert…"

"Maybe for more than two minutes the next time, huh? All he's ever said to me was him asking if I was the wild woman that climbed mountains…" Alana trailed with a groan, leaning down to collect the bikini pieces from the floor. Sliding off his lap, she plucked her wallet from her back pocket and found her credit card. Holding that in her mouth, she walked out of the dressing room and toward the cashier.

"But… You are the wild woman that climbs mountains," Nick laughed as he followed her, sliding his credit card across the counter before she could set her things down. "Is that all you're getting?"

"Did you like it?" she questioned, reaching to grab his card before the woman could grasp it and handing hers over.

"I loved it," he answered, grabbing her hand and holding it away before pushing another card across to the woman. Smiling in victory when the cashier picked up his card to swipe it. "Why don't you get more just like it?"

"Why would someone get more than one bikini? There ain't no purpose to it…" Alana trailed as Nick wrapped his arms around her, pulling her back before she could fight the cashier to get her card as means of payment. Glancing up at him, she shook her head with a rueful smile, bringing her leg up between his to gently rub.

"Well… There's the swimming bikini… The laying-out-to-get-a-tan bikini… The just-lounging-by-the-pool-sipping-cocktails bikini--"

"What kind of girls have you been dating?" Alana laughed with bewilderment as Nick leaned them over to scrawl his name on the receipt. Then, he took his card and hers and pushed them into his wallet for the time being, and then grasped the bag.

"The wrong ones," Nick murmured softly, mostly to himself as he led her out of the store. Draping his arm around her shoulders, he held her close, glancing around.

"Why don't we go and check out a pair of trunks for you?" Alana suggested, not wanting his mind to brew with ideas for too long.

"I've got tons…" Nick trailed thoughtfully. Smiling suddenly, he turned her towards a nearby boutique that appeared to sell only sunglasses and hats.

"But you need swimming trunks, laying-out-to-get-a-tan trunks, just-lounging-by-the-pool-sipping-cocktails trunks, seducing trunks, surfing trunks--" Alana began to mimic.

"Seducing trunks? Trust me, when you've seen me in my trunks, the last thing on your mind will be seduction," Nick promised with a snort of laughter as he turned her into the store. "You need sunglasses. Several pair, in case they get lost on a jet-ski or while water skiing, or while I dangle you over the shark-infested waters…"

"I already have…" Alana found it useless to argue her point as Nick poured over the variety of woman's sunglasses. Glancing toward her face and then back to the rows of sunglasses, he plucked a pair and placed them upon the bridge of her nose. "Wait, dangle me over shark-infested waters? What the Hell is that supposed to mean?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Nick promised, feigning innocence with a grin as he assessed the sunglasses on her face. Unable to resist, he leaned close, softly kissing the tip of her nose. "What do you think about these?"

"They're nice…" she trailed, glancing at her reflection in the small mirror. The sunglasses had a silver frame to compliment the deep sea-green lenses to shield her eyes from the harmful UV rays. "But expensive… But, I don't have much a say when it comes to you, so what do you think?"

"I love them," he assured her.

"Nothing like color coordinating with the bikini," Alana squealed with a mocking flip of her long strawberry locks behind her shoulder.

"Please… Don't ever do that again," Nick laughed, kissing her cheek before turning to look at more sunglasses.

"Little too much like Paris Hilton?" Alana guessed, plucking a pair of glasses from the spinning rack. Turning Nick so he faced her, she tenderly slid them onto his face. Stepping back, she admired sleek lines of the silver frame contrasting the darkness of the dark blue lenses. Pulling the sunglasses from her face, she set them on the counter and reached to pull Nick down for a kiss. "I like them on you. You're way too handsome for your own good."

"I'm not handsome… I'm boyishly cute," Nick argued softly, wrapping his arm around her to hold her close as he reached for his wallet. "…Want anything else?"

"I didn't want anything to begin with…" Alana rolled her eyes as Nick handed over the credit card and both pairs of sunglasses. "…You do know that you don't have to buy me anything, right? That I don't spend my time with you because I hope to get things? I've done very well for myself and--"

"Has it occurred to you that maybe I like buying you things?"

"Why?"

"Because, I… Thanks a lot," Nick smiled as he scrawled his name. Taking the bag and receipt, he stuffed his card into his wallet and pulled Alana out of the store. "Well… I get the feeling that you've never really been spoiled, you know?"

"That has nothing to do with us, though…" Alana trailed, glancing up at him with surprise as he led her through the mall. He was sure to keep his head down as he held her tightly, not wanting to be spotted by the gaggles of teenage girls lurking around the corners. But what surprised her was the accuracy at which he read her. Spoiled had not been in her vocabulary. In fact, from the time she was allowed to work, she had been giving her money to her family. To support them and provide for them. It was the rare occurrence that she actually spent money on herself.

"But I like buying things for you," Nick explained, slowing his steps when he realized they were near the food court. Gently rubbing her shoulder, he smiled when her arm slid around his waist. It felt so right, holding her close to him. "I like seeing the way your eyes light up…"

"We can go get me some more bikinis if you want…" Alana suggested as she snuck her hand underneath his t-shirt, loving the feel of his warm skin against her fingertips. If he wanted to buy her things, then she could bite her tongue. "I'll try them on for you and everything…"

"Think we can avoid the Gnat long enough for me to--"

"There you are!"

"Goddamnit," Nick groaned, dropping his head on Alana's shoulder.

*~*~*

"Bumpkin, wake up," Natalie cooed softly in Brian's ear. Smiling when he shifted, pulling the blanket over his head, she reached to playfully tickle his side. "Bay's doctor is here to give you all the information about his discharge, and to tell you that we can go home…"

"Discharge…" Brian mumbled sleepily, almost thinking about rolling over and telling Natalie to take care of it. But, his memory hurriedly jog through a mental search of medical language. Discharge. Baylee could finally go home. Brian lurched from the spare hospital bed and stumbled out of the sheets. Baylee looked at his father with honest bewilderment, wrinkling his nose in distaste as Brian fought with the blankets. Shaking his head, he smoothed his light blue t-shirt over his stomach, moving toward his duffle bag to retrieve the small gift he had bought Alana just as Brian managed to gain his balance. "Shoot, Doc!"

"Well, he's not here yet," Natalie explained with a soft giggle as Baylee began to snicker over his duffle bag. Reaching to smooth Brian's hair, she smiled sweetly. "But, he's down the hall talking with a nurse, and I didn’t want you to act a fool in front of him, so I decided it'd be best to wake you up now…"

"Well, thank you so much for considering your social embarrassment because of me," Brian huffed, though he brought a kiss to Natalie's lips nonetheless. And, watching his son set the wrapped box on the bedside table, Brian grinned as he bent down to scoop Baylee into his arms. "Scooper! We're finally going home! No more hospitals! No more sickies! Just you, me, and Nat! Tons of playtime! What do you want to do first?!"

"Go see 'Lana!" Baylee squealed.

"Well, I figured as much," Brian chuckled, smothering a sloppy kiss to the side of his son's face. Relief could hardly contain the epitome of feelings that washed over his body as he looked at his son. The bright sapphire eyes brilliantly glowing with an impishness that had been lost within his sickness. The healthy glow of his peach skin. The devilish smile spreading across his adorable face. No more swelling. No more struggling to breathe. Baylee was in the perfect condition of health. And Brian couldn't help the tears that slipped down his face as he kissed Baylee again. "I mean after we get out of the hospital, Scooper."

"C'we go get Tyke an' go to th' park an' play ball till the sun goes down?" Baylee requested amid his squeals of laughter, wrapping his arms tightly around his father's neck. "Have a pick-nicky by th' lake?"

"Sounds like a fantastic plan to me. What about you, Nat?" Brian asked, glancing toward her with a kind smile. Pulling an arm from Baylee, he snaked it around her waist to bring her into the pile of hugs and kisses. He realized that without her, he never would have been strong enough to carry through his son's surgery. She had given him all that he needed. "We'll play with him, then lay on the blanket and watch the sunset together while he plays with Tyke."

"I'll write the list for pick-nicky supplies," Natalie agreed with a nod, sliding her arms around them both for a tight hug. The two most important men in her life. Sending up a prayer of thanks, she quickly brushed her tears away as Baylee began extolling the many wonders of playing with Tyke.

"I love you," Brian whispered against the side of her face, kissing away one tear that she had missed with her hand.

"I love you more," Natalie murmured, glancing up when she heard a throat clear.

Brian glanced up in surprise to find the doctor standing in the doorway, looking none too pleased with the situation. Blushing heavily, Brian shifted Baylee into Natalie's arms. Kissing the back of his son's head, he glanced at his lover. "Why don't you take him down to see Alana and give her his present? Nick should be on his way in, so you can meet him halfway. Then the others said they'd meet us at my house afterwards to welcome Scooper home. I'll meet you to say goodbye to Alana."

"Alright," Natalie murmured, holding Baylee close as she scooped up her purse. "C'mon, Bay-Bee, let's go find your 'Lana--"

"Hey, Doc!" Baylee shouted with a large grin, causing Natalie to pause as the man entered. When the doctor glanced at him, he widened his eyes in innocence. "Who pissed in your corn f'akes?!"

"Baylee Thomas Wylee Littrell!" Natalie exclaimed in shock as she cupped a hand over the boy's mouth, mumbling some sort of apology to the stricken doctor as she hurried from the room. Running down the hallway and toward the elevators, she sat him on the floor before taking large heaps of breaths. She stared down at the innocent boy who played idly with the purple bow on the small gift and couldn't help but laugh. "You are just like your father it's unbelievable!"

"But him's was mean lookin', Knot! Like he no like Daddy kissin' you," Baylee explained with a small grin. "We go find my 'Lana now?"

"That's my 'Lana, Squirt!" Nick growled as he came up from behind the two, reaching to grab the little boy before he could make sense of the situation. Tickling him mercilessly, he laughed as Baylee squealed loudly with protest. He had just spent the morning with Zachary as the nurses fawned over him being such a wonderful father. There was no news on the adoption process yet, but he expected as much. So, now he would spend the rest of the day with Baylee and Brian, celebrating the discharge.

"My 'Lana! I met her first!" Baylee insisted, shrieking with laughter as Natalie took the gift from him so it wouldn't fall.

"And he introduced you, too," Natalie reminded him with a laugh, tucking the gift into her purse for safekeeping. "And got you her phone number--"

"I make-matcher!" Baylee announced.

"Match-maker," Nick corrected as they stepped in the elevator to reach the Pediatric Cardiac Unit.

"You love 'Lana, Nicky?" Baylee questioned seriously as he was transferred to the man's shoulders. Ducking to keep his head from hitting the ceiling, he grinned at Nick's upside down face. "Her make you happy? Make you want'a shout from a mountain?"

"He shouts at her from underneath a mountain," Natalie answered, stepping aside to avoid Nick's leg that shot out to hit her backside.

"Why you do that for, Nicky?"

"I thought she was going to fall… But she didn't," Nick answered with a scowl at Natalie. "And yes, I love her. She makes me happier than I ever thought I could be. And I'd love to shout from a mountain--"

"She make you feel like a ner'us school boy?" Baylee interrupted.

"Huh? Yeah, I guess… Where are you getting this from, Bay?"

"From when Kevvy was askin' Daddy questions 'bout Knot on 'peakerphone th' other night," Baylee explained with a shrug.

"I make Bumpkin feel all those things?" Natalie cooed with excitement, jumping to pat Baylee's back.

"Oh gag me," Nick choked. "We all knew that from the very beginning. Y'know, when you were finally legal."

"And remind me to thank you for giving him a push in the other direction," Natalie grumbled. "Besides, you weren't legal when I met him, so you can't say anything--"

"I didn't want to date him--"

"Heather!" Baylee announced from atop Nick's shoulders, patting his head as if the beating would catch the arrogant nurse's attention. Though, the three were surprised when she turned at the sound of her voice being called. She barely glanced to Baylee, however, too intent on allowing her eyes to meander along Nick's body. "Hello! Heather! Up 'ere! Lil' boy on the big guy's head! Where my 'Lana?!"

"Hiding…" Heather trailed, motioning vaguely toward the nurses' station, though she made sure to keep eye contact with Nick. "She's on her break and running away from Dr. Lyons, though God knows why. He's been looking for a date for weeks and she keeps turning him down. He's gorgeous and rich… Though, I suppose if I was boinking a Backstreet Boy I might hold off on dating the doctor till that piece of rich steak went back to Florida…"

"Nicky? What boink--"

"Excuse me?" Natalie interrupted Baylee's question, narrowing her eyes as she looked over the nurse. "I know you… You're the little fuck nut that was stealing Brian's shirts--"

"Fuck's a bad word, Knot!" Baylee squealed.

"Not when you're using it to describe some money-grubbing slutpuppy, it's not," Natalie explained, glaring at Heather.

"Just for your information, Alana is known as the Ice Queen amongst the bachelors of this hospital. No one gets in her ice castle. And if they do, they just end up with frostbite. She's not worth a damn dime or whatever the Hell you pay to make her legs slide open," Heather stated very matter-of-factly, though she stepped back from Natalie.

"Is that right?" Natalie questioned carefully, her glare receding into a pleasant smile. Appearing to relax, she took a step forward, tucking her hand in the other woman's arm. "Well I had no idea about all that… But you know what? Nicky happens to be one of my best friends, and if anyone was trying to just get into bed with him for the Hell of it, I would know. And you know what else? Alana is my best friend, and if there's one thing I absolutely cannot abide, it's having someone badmouth my best friend in front of me. So, you have two options-wait, no, just the one." As she spoke she backed the nurse against the wall, her caramel eyes brightening with anger. "Stay the fuck out of things that don't concern you, or I'll make sure you never work in another hospital as long as you live."

"Holy Hell," Nick and Baylee whispered in awe.

Backing away, Natalie smiled sweetly once again. "Alright, let's go find 'Lana!"

Nick gave a satisfied smirk toward Heather as he puffed his chest out, allowing Natalie to lead him past the bitchy woman as he strutted a bit. He had himself a great group of friends and a beautiful lover, that much was certain. He was intent on telling Heather just that till he reached the nurses' station and Baylee lurched on his shoulders, practically falling forward. "My 'Lana on the floor!"

"Guess this ain't the best hiding spot, huh?" Alana laughed softly as she looked up at Baylee's bewildered expression. She had stolen one of the doctor's lab coats to make into a pillow for her half hour break. Usually, she was back visiting with her variety of patients, but the day had been long and tedious. A faint line of sweat had broken on her skin as a code was called. She had saved a little girl's life, but wouldn't admit to such as she now needed to be by herself. There was a cold vent of air at the back of the nurses' station, so she laid beside it for peace of mind. That is, until now.

"My 'Lana! I gots you a-Knot, where my 'resent?" Baylee questioned, twisting to find her. Grinning when she handed it over, he turned to look at Alana once again. "I gots you a 'resent!"

"God, please tell me you didn't hear any of what just happened," Natalie requested as she leaned over the counter.

"Please tell me you did! It was so totally wicked!" Nick exclaimed, transferring Baylee from his shoulders to the desk.

"I heard enough to know that I'm your best friend?" Alana answered with a questioning tone, pulling herself up from the floor. Exhaling a long, low breath of air, she eased herself onto the nurses' desk so Baylee could give her the present. She pressed a kiss to the side of the boy's face and placed the present in her lap. She had known that Heather was mean spirited. It didn't surprise her to hear her name slandered, though it still hurt nonetheless. She was well admired throughout the hospital. The best nurse that they could offer. The most preferred nurse they could offer. Everyone loved her… Well, the patients, doctors, and families. But some of the nurses loathed the sight of her and it hurt.

"Aren't you?" Natalie questioned softly. She had long thought that Leighanne fit that category, only to realize over the past years how wrong she had been. She had grown so close to Alana in the past weeks, closer than she had ever dreamed she would be with another woman.

"Don't argue wit' her, 'Lana," Baylee warned, wrapping his arms around her for a quick hug. "Her might say fuck--"

"Boogie, no cursing," Alana warned as she cupped her hand over his mouth while kissing the side of his face. "And I wouldn't know if you were my best friend or not, Nat… I've never had one…"

"You are my best friend," Natalie confirmed softly. "And, forgive me… I hope I didn't break any rules or anything, but God… That… Whore just irked me--"

"I don't think there's a rule for cursing at a nurse… Much less calling her a whore… 'Cause if there was, there'd be a lot of fines rung up on these families during their stays," Alana interrupted as Baylee crawled into her lap after taking the gift into his hands. He perched there quietly, playing with the charity bands on Alana's wrist.

"You get off soon, don't you? We're all going to the park to play and have a picnic… We'd love it if you'd come," Natalie invited, glancing at Nick to see he was staring at Alana. Smiling slightly, she leaned against the counter. "We're going to get Tyke and--"

"'Lana? Open your 'resent now?" Baylee questioned hopefully.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Boogie," Alana sighed as she dropped a kiss to the top of Baylee's head, taking the present into her hands. She looked apologetically toward Natalie for a moment before focusing on unwrapping the beautifully packaged gift. And, after wrapping the purple bow on Baylee's wrist, she popped the top open to the small jewelry box and gasped. Inside laid a beautiful silver bracelet with a beautiful rainbow of colorful, crystal beads - blue, pink, red, and yellow. Then tucked underneath the bracelet was a laminated note card. Plucking the card from it's bed, she read the poem aloud, her voice cracking as tears began to swell. "Let me tell you just how special you are through the colors one by one. A nurse is someone special because not every day is fun. The color blue reminds us of the compassion that you must show. The color pink for the love you bring to patients you may not know. The color red for brightening the room and making things so fine. The color yellow for being so warm just like a raw of sunshine. Thank you for all the work you do it's all so very clear. Nurses are very special and you're in our heart so dear…"

"You like it?" Baylee inquired, confused when Alana pulled him into a fierce hug. Returning the hug with all his might, he smacked kisses along her cheek in hopes of making her giggle. "'Lana… You cries! You no like it?!"

"Boogie, no! God, no! I love it!" Alana sniffled as she rubbed his back, burying her face into his soft platinum curls. Having Baylee in her life was like having Colton back and the sudden realization that Baylee was going home hit too hard. She would be lacking in his sweet smiles and giggles every day. Lost in the bleakness of her life again. Though she was so proud that Baylee was better, it still hurt to lose another child. "It's the most beautiful gift that I've gotten in awhile. Thank you so much."

"So you come pick-nicky wit' us? P'ay ball an' watch sunset wit' Daddy and Knot?"

"And Nicky," Natalie added, nudging the man in the side so he would say something. He seemed to be in a trance, and though she worried about him, she wanted him to speak before Baylee began to question whether or not he was okay.

"Did you know you were invited to the picnic, Nick?" Alana questioned with a soft sniffle, rubbing her eyes as Baylee immobilized her right hand, giving it to Natalie so she could hook the bracelet. It was unusual to see him so quiet and passive.

"I didn't even know about the picnic," Nick admitted, reaching to brush the tears from her cheeks as Baylee slid off her lap. Stepping closer, he pressed a soft kiss to her forehead. "You okay?"

"Just a long day," Alana confessed quietly, cautiously wrapping her arms around his waist as she pressed her head against his chest. Just for a moment. She could be unprofessional for a moment.

"Something go wrong?" he questioned, kissing the top of her head as Baylee whispered for Natalie to take him to see Samantha for a moment. Wrapping his arms around Alana, he squeezed her gently, not used to seeing her so dejected and down.

"I've just been running from one end of this hallway to the other end of this hallway, picking up the slack for half-assed nurses who don't care much for their patients… And a code was called and I had to jump on this little girl's chest…" Alana shuddered at the memory, remembering how hard she had worked on Colton as her husband raced them to the hospital only to find out that he was dead. "…It's just too long of a day…"

"Why don't we skip the picnic, then? You can go home and get some rest… I'll come over and fix you dinner and give you a foot rub," Nick offered softly, rubbing her back.

"Nat and Boogie want me to go to the picnic--"

"They'll understand. Come on, you need to take a break, okay? We can have a picnic with them this weekend--"

"You know what sounds fantastic?" Alana murmured with an apologetic interruption as she let her eyes drift closed, listening to the soft beat of his heart. "…A hot bath in my jacuzzi tub and getting dressed in the most comfortable pair of pajamas I have… Fall into my bed with fresh sheets and an extra cheese pizza, falling asleep to a movie…"

"So I'll be waiting with pizza and a movie at your place when you get off," Nick murmured, kissing the top of her head once more. Then he realized that he had not fit into her 'fantastic' equation. "Unless you don't want me there--"

"If you promise to rub my back in the jacuzzi and then snuggle with me all night long; you can stay forever, Nick…"

Forever… Nick felt a glimmer of hope at first, but quickly doused it, rationalizing that her tired brain had used the word. That it hadn't come from her heart. Smiling, he squeezed her gently. "I'll stay as long as you want me, Beautiful…"

"Thanks, Nick," Alana murmured, leaning up to press a soft kiss of gratitude to his cheek. Then, tiredly glancing over his shoulder, she noticed Brian greeting Natalie and Baylee in the hallway. There was a fierce hug amongst them and several kisses passed. She had to smile softly at the perfect image of the beautiful family as they walked toward her. Sliding off the desk, she brushed her hands over her scrub top and offered a slightly nervous smile to Brian. "Thank you so much for letting Boogie buy me the bracelet. It was extremely sweet of you and you really didn't have to do it."

Brian smiled, pulling her into a gentle hug. "I had nothing to do with it--"

"Knot got Daddy's money!" Baylee interrupted with a giggle.

"Well, thanks for supplying the dough," Alana laughed softly, surprised by Brian's welcoming hug. She patted his back nonetheless as he squeezed her reassuringly. "Baylee's going to be just fine, Brian. You both did fantastically."

"I know… Thank you. So much," Brian murmured before pulling away. Glancing over at Baylee, who snuggled in Natalie's arms just so, he felt a grin pull at his lips. His son was going to be fine. "You ready to go get Tyke, Scooper?"

"You pick-nicky, 'Lana?" Baylee inquired hopefully, reaching for another hug.

"'Lana's tired, Bay… You don't mind if she goes home and gets some rest, do you?" Nick suggested, one hand gently rubbing Alana's back as he spoke. "I'll bring her to the house this weekend and we'll have a blast, okay?"

"You t'ant rest on the blanket wif Knot and Daddy?" Baylee pouted as he kept his arms linked around Alana's neck, pulling Natalie closer.

"What am I supposed to say?" Nick whispered to Brian with a worried look.

Brian grinned devilishly. "Now see who's looking to Papa Bear for advice…"

"Damnit, Brian--"

"I have to go home and get a shower, Boogie, but I'll come to the picnic," Alana decided before Brian and Nick even had a chance to start bickering. She ran her fingers through his platinum blonde curls as she leaned to kiss him affectionately. "But if I fall asleep, no jumping on me, alright?"

"P'omise," Baylee vowed solemnly, giving her an ebullient grin. "See you in a bit, 'Lana. I love you."

"I love you, too, Boogie," Alana promised, blowing him a kiss as Natalie and Brian hugged her one more time before disappearing down the hall. Exhaling a hard sigh, she leaned against the long desk and tangled her fingers within her locks. She had to get a grip on herself. Though, glancing up, she found Nick still lingering. "Aren't you leaving with them?"

"I thought I'd go play with Snot Sucker till you get off… Then we can ride to the park together after you go home," Nick explained softly.

"You driving me home too 'cause your afraid I'll fall asleep behind the wheel?" Alana guessed, reaching blindly to rub Nick's back.

"Mm hmm… You look exhausted, Beautiful…"

"I'll be alright. I've just got a little charting left to do before the next shift gets here then I can haul ass," she promised as she pulled herself into a straightened posture. Glancing to Nick, she reached up to brush her lips against his. "Promise me you'll stay the night tonight still."

"I promise," he murmured, pulling her to him to intensify their kiss for a moment. "I'll be upstairs…"

"I'll be waiting," she answered, knowing somewhere inside her, deep inside her, that she loved him.