- Text Size +
Alana stifled a yawn as she climbed out of the back of her taxi, glancing precariously at the dainty watch on her wrist. It was barely seven in the morning and she was catching a flight to the Bahamas with some of the richest men in the United States. It was surreal to say the very least, especially as the attendants of the private plane they were chartering rushed out to take her luggage. She shook her head in disbelief as she felt a small tug on her short, frayed jean shorts. Glancing down, she smiled as Elizabeth held her arms out. She had picked up the child from her mother's house, Baylee's guest for the trip. Smothering the side of Elizabeth's face with kisses, Alana decided that if all else failed, she would take care of Baylee and Elizabeth. After all, Nick was probably less than pleased with her after the Gremlin stunt and letting AJ take her home. "This is a big airport, huh, Lizzers?"

"Wow," Elizabeth breathed, staring at her surroundings as Alana followed the attendants. "Where Bay? He lost'd here'd?"

"Bay is hiding from all these people, 'cause they want to take his pictures like crazy," Alana explained as she held Elizabeth to her hip. The child had just finished her last round of chemotherapy. The cancer cells had officially died and she was free to celebrate. What better way then to spend her days in the sand with her best friend. Smiling, Alana leaned to kiss the top of Elizabeth's head.

"I get hair in 'Hamas?" Elizabeth questioned hopefully, reaching to rub her baldness. After having several bandannas as well as hats to conceal it, she had finally given them away, keeping only the bandannas that Alana and Baylee had given her. Only, she made that decision after Baylee informed her he liked her bald head.

"You'll start getting hair in no time, now that those medicines are done," Alana confirmed with a nod, thanking the attendants for showing them to the private waiting area. She then watched them take their luggage toward the awaiting plane, knowing they'd be leaving soon. Gently, she rapped on the door.

"LIZZIE!" Baylee's voice screeched from within, and seconds later the door burst open. "'LANA! YOU B'OUGHT LIZZIE!"

"She deserved a vacation, too," Alana laughed as she helped Elizabeth to the floor. The toddlers wasted no time with embracing one another, each delivering a flurry of kisses to the others cheeks. The adults inside all cooed in awe at the sweetness, but Baylee was quick to lead Elizabeth toward his bag of toys for the trip. Alana had to laugh as Baylee offered Elizabeth the best of toys. "…If only all relationships were like that…"

"Ain't that the truth," Natalie sighed, returning to her needlepoint.

"Like you ain't on the road to perfection," Alana objected as she stepped into the room and made sure to close the door behind her. Shifting to pull the messenger bag from her shoulder, she set it toward the side of an empty chair. She felt out of place with all the hustle and bustle, Brian sitting beside Natalie while speaking on the phone to his family.

"Tell Jackie I emailed her those pictures of Baylee and you this morning," Natalie reminded Brian softly before looking towards Alana. Sensing her discomfort with all the hubbub surrounding them, she smiled. "Trust me, you get used to it."

"I didn't think that I'd be in the position to get accustomed to it," Alana answered honestly, noticing AJ and Howie off to the side of the room speaking. "Everyone's going, I guess? …Where's Nick?"

"AJ invited Howie," Natalie confirmed, tucking her needlepoint away as she got to her feet for a stretch. "Nick's--"

"Hey, Beautiful!"

"--Right there…"

"And obviously up to something if he's using the name Beautiful instead of Bitch," Alana decided as she moved to stand, though she hadn't much of a choice when Nick grabbed her by the hands. She fully expected to be tossed over his shoulder and berated for her decisions the previous day. Flinching in anticipation, she held her breath.

"You look great," Nick murmured, pulling her to him for a quick kiss. Having decided it would be best to forget about the previous day's events, he focused on making the best of their vacation. "Ready for several weeks of fun and sun and surf and me?"

"I look like I do every other day…" Alana trailed with surprise, unable to even greet him with her own kiss. Instead, she glanced down toward her frayed jean shorts and complimenting olive green, ribbed tank top. She hadn't even bothered with her long curls, just tossing them into a high ponytail for the time being. Glancing up into Nick's dark indigo eyes, she remained puzzled. "Am I in trouble or something? Is that why you're acting so nice?"

"You're not in trouble," Nick promised, offering her another soft kiss. "Can't I act nice?"

Natalie snorted, moving to get a Pepsi from the machine. "Not hardly--"

"She's on my shit list, however," Nick growled, scowling toward Natalie till Alana's hands cupped his face. Slowly, she turned him back to face her and he smiled with question. "What?"

"I'm sorry about the Gremlin thing. I really couldn't resist," Alana apologized, sliding her hands from his face to around his neck, leaning up to kiss him affectionately. "You'll still teach me how to surf, right?"

"You bet," Nick murmured, nibbling gently at her bottom lip. Wrapping his arms around her waist, he held her close for a long moment, reveling in the taste and feel of her. "And don't worry about the Gremlin thing. I overreacted--"

"Ha!" Natalie laughed sarcastically. "Y'think?!"

"I think Allie's out for blood on you, Son," Alana concluded at Natalie's bitter swipes at Nick, fighting so hard to hide her bemused smile.

"Pfft. Like she wasn't faking it anyway--"

"You son-of-a--"

"Is my bro in here or scoping out girls at the luggage claim?" another voice announced.

Natalie glanced over to see Aaron coming into the private waiting room, dropping his backpack on the floor. Cooing, she headed over to greet him with a hug and kiss. "He's in here, about to get his measly little man chopped off--"

"Go greet your brother, you haven't seen him in awhile. I'll go see to Lizzie and Baylee," Alana told Nick as she pulled from his arms, drowning out Natalie's threats.

"Alana!" Aaron crooned, offering Natalie a quick peck on the cheek before rushing over to sweep the woman into his arms. "What's up?"

"Apparently me," Alana decided with a small laugh, stilling her movements as he lifted her from the ground. She wasn't sure whether to wrap her arms around him in a hug or not, so she kept her hands at her sides as he squeezed her affectionately. She glanced to Nick with a look of bewilderment, not knowing what to do. She had only met the young man for a few moments at Nick's concert for the girls. Why he acted as if she were family struck her peculiarly.

Grinning, Aaron placed a sloppy kiss on her cheek before releasing her, rolling his eyes when Nick pulled her back into his embrace. Glancing towards his older brother, he wagged his eyebrows, his lips turning into a Cheshire grin. "So, bro… Seen Gremlins lately?"

"You son-of-a--" Nick cut off when both Elizabeth and Baylee stopped their game to look up at him. "How'd you find out?"

"Nat-Nat told me--"

"You're dead," Nick threatened Natalie, throwing an accusatory finger in her direction.

"Like I haven't heard that before," Natalie sighed, curling her legs under her as she settled next to Brian with the sweetest of smiles. "You should have heard Kevin when I called to tell him all about it. Don't think I've ever heard him laugh so hard--"

"I think I need to go grab myself a soda before he starts cursing me for even starting that mess…" Alana groaned, unweaving herself from Nick's hold. She could feel his entire body tense at Natalie's egging, knowing she would be caught right in the aftermath of his explosion. And she had no desire to be threatened with bodily harm - again - especially after being thrown in Brian's bed of love.

"I'm not going to--"

"Nicky! P'ay 'ippos?" Elizabeth questioned hopefully, grasping his hand to tug him towards the table where she and Baylee had set up the game. Remembering her mother's words on behaving, she smiled. "P'etty p'ease?"

"Awe, Nicky, go play Hungry Hungry Hippos with Lizzie and Boogie," Alana cooed toward her lover, leaning up to kiss him sweetly. She absolutely adored how Elizabeth had fallen in love with Nick, especially how he reciprocated that affection. "You can't possibly resist that adorable face and I promise I won't be sneaking into any bathroom with AJ..."

"Well, damn," AJ sighed dramatically, ignoring Nick's censuring glare as he slumped into an empty seat. "Guess the loving I got on your big bed yesterday while we packed is going to have to hold me for a while…"

"And boy did you love rubbing on my underwear while you packed it," Alana purred with a seductive smile as she slipped onto his lap. Toying with the chain of his necklace, she saw Nick's dark indigo eyes flame with an annoyed jealousy. But she smirked nonetheless, reaching into AJ's front pocket to retrieve the dollar bills he kept loose. "Thanks for the soda."

AJ grinned, placing one hand on her hip as Elizabeth yanked hard on Nick's arm. "That, Babe, is not a soda…"

"I meant for the one that you're going to be buying me," Alana breathed against the side of his face before sliding slowly away from his lap. Snapping the dollar between her hands, she heard Howie's amused laugh as he took a seat beside AJ. Smiling appreciatively, she turned to leave, but came face to face with Aaron as Nick was stuffed underneath the children's table to play. "Need a soda, too?"

"No…" Aaron trailed, stepping aside so she could head to the soda machines. Keeping by her side, he glanced over at Nick. "Howie cornered you about signing on his label yet?"

"He's mentioned it a few times… Okay, more like pressured me a few times… Or maybe it was more of a begging…" Alana confirmed, turning slightly to catch Aaron's profile as she fed the machine her dollar. Chewing on her bottom lip, she hit the button for a twenty ounce bottle of Pepsi. He was most certainly an image of his older brother. Almost the same height, over six feet tall, and a great deal thinner. But they had that same identical smile. The one Alana adored so much. "Why?"

"Because… If he signs you I am so getting you for a duet--"

"A duet?" Alana laughed as she stooped to grasp her bottle, offering him the first sip. "Why's that?"

Aaron eyed her critically as he took a swig of Pepsi. "Um that's where two people sing a song together… Like--"

"God, you are a mirror image of your brother… I meant why would you want to do a duet with me?"

"Because you can blow--"

"Your brother is completely full of shit, I've never even stumbled onto my knees in front of--" Alana laughed softly when Aaron's dark chocolate eyes widened in horror. "I'm kidding. Well, not about…" She shook her head as she pressed a hand to her mouth to hide her laughter. "I don't sing that well."

"Bull-hockey," Aaron quickly corrected himself. "The way you sang at the concert? Awesome. Would have put Christina to shame," he insisted, draping an arm around her shoulder as he led her to an empty chair. "Seriously. You've got talent--"

"Is your brother paying you to say this?" Alana interrupted as she sat down and Aaron quickly joined her, keeping his arm fixed around her. Leaning back, she noted that Nick was furiously tapping at his hippo to get the white marbles into his mouth. She then turned to look at Aaron with suspicion.

"Hell no," Aaron insisted, reaching for the Pepsi. "…Howie is…"

"So… Let me get this straight…" Alana trailed as she slouched in her chair, handing over the bottle to the younger man. "Howie is paying you to stroke my ego so I'll get on his label. You have no belief in what you're saying as long as the check comes rolling in… And Nick would be paying Howie to sign me to his label for some sick and twisted reason… So, it's an entire conspiracy against me."

"No!" Aaron yelped, lurching slightly. "I was joking! Hell, if I had my way, I'd start my own label and sign you--"

"You really should talk to your physician about getting you a prescription of Xanax…" Alana suggested as she leaned to kiss his cheek. "But you're absolutely adorable."

"Thanks… Does that mean I can get AJ and Howie to write a really sexy song for us to sing together?" Aaron questioned hopefully.

"Un… Do… Fee.. Fo… Nicky! Cheat!" Elizabeth shrieked as Nick counted out his marbles. "No win!"

"I didn't cheat--"

"I ain't signing to no label. I'm a nurse, remember?" Alana contradicted Aaron, watching Baylee and Elizabeth tackle Nick to prove their point.

"So? Howie's in real estate, and he sings," Aaron attempted to dissuade. "C'mon, it'll be fun!"

"I can't believe they're putting you up to this…" Alana trailed as Elizabeth came hurrying over with the marbles Nick had attempted to play off. She held them out with an offending pout, gesturing toward Nick. Cooing, Alana reached down to take Elizabeth into her arms, cuddling her close. "I'll get Nick back for that, Lizzers. We'll play Gremlins later."

"I get him's toes?" Elizabeth questioned hopefully, thrusting the marbles into Aaron's open hand. "Sav'm. Nicky cheat!"

"Yes ma'am, you'll get him's toes," Alana promised against the side of Elizabeth's face before blowing a raspberry, causing the little girl to giggle. "Now, you tell Aaron what my job is."

Elizabeth released a soft sigh, glancing towards the ceiling as she thought for a moment. Smiling suddenly, she leaned against Alana. "'Lana nurse!"

"Exactly," Alana agreed, rubbing Elizabeth's stomach as she curved her arms around her. "No time for singing professionally. Should I happen to be injured and in no condition to nurse, then I'll sign the record label."

"'Lana! Sing! Wit' Nicky!" Elizabeth squealed with excitement. "He no cheat singin'!"

"I already sing with Nicky and I'll sing with him whenever you want," Alana answered, playfully nudging Aaron's leg when he grinned. "But, right now you clobbered him to the floor."

"Isn't it time to get on the plane yet?" Nick wheezed, gently pushing Baylee away when the boy moved to jump on his stomach yet again. "I learned my lesson, Bay! No more cheating!"

"We're just waiting for your goofy ass to learn your lesson," AJ decided, scowling slightly toward Aaron who had weaseled so close to Alana. Helping to gather bags around their private waiting room, he lightly kicked Nick's ribs. "And you might want to watch your hormone-driven brother around my soon-to-be new lover."

Nick scowled up at the older man, hating his tendency to make him feel like an idiot at all times. When AJ turned, he reached one hand out, quickly toppling the man to the floor. "Bullshit! She's nowhere near being your lover. She just flirts with you to incite my jealous passions--"

"At least we know he's using that dictionary Kevin bought him," Howie decided with a chuckle as AJ went spilling onto the floor, bags skidding across the floor. Attendants went racing to collect the on flight bags as AJ turned to maul Nick for the price of embarrassment. The two youngest bickered with an explosion of expletives and grunts, causing Elizabeth to duck her head against Alana's shoulder for protection. But neither seemed to care, too busy trying to show up the other.

"I thought it was holding up his coffee table…" Brian trailed as he stooped to collect Baylee's toys, knowing the flight was waiting.

"It is, he's probably read his sisters' trashy romance novels again - providing they actually read - 'cause he can't get any from 'Lana," Natalie decided, rolling her eyes as she plucked Baylee from the floor before he could jump into the fight.

"I'm not as--Ow!--I'm not as stupid as everyone makes me out to be!" Nick yelped before shoving AJ from his body, wanting to laugh with glee when the man's hat went flying across the floor only to be trampled on by Howie. Leaping to his feet, he dove for safety behind the older man, knowing AJ would not go through Howie to get to him. Dusting his pants off, he grabbed a bag from Howie's hand, glancing to see that Aaron was already leading Alana out of the waiting area. "So, D… Seen any good movies lately?" he questioned casually, draping an arm around Howie's shoulders as AJ scrambled to retrieve his hat.

Grunting with disgust as he flipped onto his stomach, AJ yanked his hat from beneath Howie's foot. The older man stumbled slightly, but AJ moaned with agony over the ruins of his favorite hat. Scrambling to his feet, he threw the hand clutching his trampled hat at Nick in an accusatory fashion. "Howie, he's fucking dead. So dead that maggots are drooling. So stand aside--"

"AJ, you're on your own when it comes to this one…" Howie trailed as he stepped toward the door, making no move to unweave himself from Nick's embrace. "I need Nick so I can get Alana to sign a record deal."

"On our fucking label," AJ reminded him, resisting the urge to strike his best friend's backside with his sneaker-clad foot. Grumbling as he followed Howie and Nick out, he turned his scowl on Natalie when she fell into step beside him. She was not even attempting to hide her amusement, damn her. "If you weren't holding Snot Face, I'd slug you--"

"Then I'd kick your scrawny ass so hard you'd be lying on the tile floor shitting out your mouth and talking out your ass," Brian instantly threatened as he threaded an arm around Natalie's waist. Pulling her close, he noticed the satisfied grin streaking across his lover's face. He couldn't help but blush faintly at the sight, though he kept a stern gaze to AJ. "What did she do, anyway?"

AJ rolled his eyes, pulling Baylee into his arms so he could get the child away from the disgusting public displays of affection. "She hooked Alana up with Nick from the start, when she knew that I'm the man for--"

"No, JJ! I 'ooked 'Lana to Nicky!" Baylee disagreed as he patted a hand on AJ's chest for emphasis. "Me! Me gots 'Lana for Nicky!"

Natalie beamed at Baylee, leaning over to kiss his cheek. Hearing AJ's irritated grunt, she hid a giggle behind her hand. "Go ahead, Aje. He's the culprit, slug him," she taunted, though her tone warned him that should he take her words to heart he would be the one getting slugged.

"Piss off," AJ growled, dashing ahead to catch Alana and Aaron as they boarded the plane. "Hey! Al! You're rooming in my suite, right?!"

"Back off," Aaron warned, sending AJ a glare as he ushered Alana ahead of him. "She's rooming with me and Bay--"

"An' Lizzie! No fo'get Lizzie!" Elizabeth demanded, looking over Alana's shoulder.

"How could I forget Lizzie? My favorite lil' girl," Aaron crooned, turning to grin at the girl. Returning his attention to AJ, his face turned deadly serious. "Someone has to chaperone the little ones to make sure they don't do anything… Ahem… Inappropriate…"

"Yeah and that's what your ass of a brother hired you for," AJ clarified, setting Baylee inside the luxurious plane. The toddler wasted no time in taking Elizabeth by the hand to show her around the plane as the others gathered inside, finding their carry on luggage and comfortable seats for the long flight. "You and the brats get one suite. Howie gets another and Nick can bunk with him. Then Brian and his new toy. Which leaves me and Al--"

"Wrong! Howie's alone in his suite. Brian and Natalie next to them, then Alana, the kids and myself. That leaves one suite we have booked. And it only has one bedroom. And there's two people left over. Which means that you and my wonderful brother will be sharing. Hope you don't mind spooning," Aaron egged with a grin before darting away to seat himself next to Howie. Alana, he noticed, had already been commandeered to sit between Baylee and Elizabeth, Nick behind them. Shooting a satisfied sneer at AJ, he turned to Howie. "So, Howie, my man… Seen any good movies lately?"


*~*~*

"'Lana? You wike Meg?" Elizabeth questioned as she dug into the bottom of her small Spongebob Squarepants backpack for one of the snacks her mother had packed her. Retrieving the bag of fruit snacks, she held it out towards Natalie, who was standing behind their seats. "P'ease?"

"Lizzie, Sweetums, Alana practically is Meg," Natalie informed, taking the bag to open it for her.

"Allie, what on God's green Earth are you rambling about now?" Alana murmured with confusion as she glanced up from the portable DVD player she had anchored on her tray table. Then, fixing the arms of the seats up, she had made a makeshift couch for herself and the children. Both Baylee and Elizabeth had climbed on top of her to snuggle as they watched Disney's Hercules. She had thought it was the best way to pass the time on their fifteen hour flight to the Bahamas. Especially when AJ was sniping at Aaron and Nick as Howie snoozed on the opposite side of the plane and Brian spent quality time with Natalie. That is, till he fell asleep as well. It was safer to stay with the children.

"Someone among us is denying that she has feelings for a certain someone else. Feelings as deep as the ocean," Natalie cooed, moving around to sit next to Alana. Smiling when Elizabeth slid into her lap for snuggles, she glanced towards the screen. "Ooh! My favorite song's about to start--"

"You're absolutely right, Natalie," Alana interrupted with a dramatic wave of her hand, oblivious to the fact that Nick and Aaron had slipped into the seats behind them. Instead, she curled her arms tighter around Baylee's waist, kissing the side of his face. "Baylee, I can't deny it. I love you so much."

"I know," Baylee murmured, his eyes never leaving the screen as he snuggled closer in her embrace. "I love you too, 'Lana--"

"That's not who I was talking about--"

"Do you know how much your 'Lana sing for me blues have gotten me into trouble?" Alana accused the little girl as her favorite song began in the movie. It was Megara's solo of forlorn romance. Exhaling a soft breath, she felt Baylee's hand curl against hers and the soft squeeze of hope. Glancing sideways to Elizabeth's hopeful eyes, Alana began to sing softly "…If there's a prize for rotten judgment / I guess I've already won that / No man is worth the aggravation / That's ancient history, been there, done that!"

Baylee's eyes shot towards Natalie as Alana sang, his brows raising hopefully. Natalie always sang this particular song.

Seeing his expression, Natalie nodded slightly, chiming in as the Muses began their verse. "Who'd'ya think you're kiddin' / He's the Earth and heaven to you / Try to keep it hidden / Honey, we can see right through you / Girl, ya can't conceal it / We know how ya feel and / Who you're thinking of…"

Alana smiled slightly at Natalie's inclusion into the song, glancing toward the DVD screen. "No chance, no way / I won't say it, no, no."

Natalie shifted slightly, dramatically placing a hand over her heart. She bit back a giggle when Elizabeth patted Alana's arm so she looked towards them again. "You swoon, you sigh / Why deny it, uh-oh…"

Following the vibratos and crescendos of the actress during Natalie's verse, Alana explored the depth, range, and power of her gorgeous voice. She kept in perfect harmony with the musical accompaniment, showing her talent for the craft. She was easily preferred over the DVD as Baylee turned to watch her instead of the cartoon. "It's too cliché / I won't say I'm in love / I thought my heart had learned its lesson / It feels so good when you start out / My head is screaming 'get a grip, Girl' / Unless you're dying to cry your heart out. Oh…"

As Alana sang, Natalie's voice softened, keeping with the Muses' backing vocals, smiling when Elizabeth began to clap her hands together in time to the music. Glancing up, she saw Nick leaning forward to listen, also that Howie had awakened, moving over to lean against their seats. "You keep on denying / Who you are and how you're feeling / Baby, we're not buying / Hon, we saw ya hit the ceiling / Face it like a grown-up / When ya gonna own up / That ya got, got, got it bad?"

"No chance, no way / I won't say it, no, no," Alana declared as she closed her eyes, resting her chin against the top of Baylee's head, falling into the harmonies of the music, unaware of anything else.

Natalie glanced towards Nick, noting the worry beginning to creep into his eyes. Looking back towards Alana, she shifted Elizabeth between them. "Give up, give in / Check the grin you're in love…"

"This scene won't play / I won't say I'm in love," Alana insisted as she felt Elizabeth's hand reach out for one of hers. Grasping the small hand, she lifted it to her lips for a soft kiss, giving the little girl a reassuring smile.

"You're doin' flips, read my lips / You're in love," Natalie emphasized, nudging the younger woman's leg with her foot as she stood. Realizing Howie pinned her in, she looked towards Alana again.

"You're way off base / I won't say it / Get off my case / I won't say it," Alana insisted, feeling her heart clench against the pain of her past as Elizabeth slid closer to her for a comforting embrace. Both children seemed to understand the raw ache of her heart, curling close with contented sighs at her beautiful voice.

Pushing past Howie, Natalie moved to the seat directly in front of Alana's, leaning over until she made eye contact. "Girl, don't be proud / It's okay you're in love…"

Alana was lost for a moment when Natalie's hands reached out to cup her face, pulling her away from the passion of the lyrics. And, for a brief moment, it seemed that she understood what Natalie was trying to convey. The fear in her eyes said as much as her breath caught. But when Baylee pushed on her leg, she pulled back, releasing a powerful crescendo of notes before finishing the song in the softest of altos. "Oh, at least out loud, I won't say I'm in love…"

Leaning back, Nick looked towards his hands in order to avoid Aaron's glance. He had confided in his younger brother, telling him all his hopes for a relationship with Alana. Sharing his worries that she was trying to push him away. Clearing his throat, he briefly shut his eyes to ward off tears, pushing himself from the seat before she noted his presence. Seeing AJ's somewhat satisfied grin as he moved to claim the seat next to Alana, Nick quickly moved to sit next to Brian. "Yo, Frick… Wake up," he insisted, shoving hard on his shoulder.

Brian snorted in surprise as the arm supporting his head crumpled beneath him, causing him to slump forward in his seat. Still dazed from sleep, Brian jerked away from the seat. His arms immediately reached out to brace himself before his face could meet the floor of the plane. Hurriedly pulling himself up, he avoided looking out the window as his stomach clenched with fear. He was frightened by heights. Though he didn't have time to contemplate that fear as his body was sent into the window again with a hard shove. "What?!"

"You awake now?" Nick questioned, pulling Brian back down into the seat.

"I think my Great-Great-Great-Great-Great Grandfather is awake! From six feet under!" Brian wheezed as he batted Nick's hands away from his body. "You know never to do that to me in the air!"

"I thought you were over your fear of flying--"

"What's going on over here?" Natalie demanded, eyes wide with concern as she took in Brian's startled expression. Cheeks flushed and wheezing, he looked too much like he had before having his surgery. "Bumpkin?"

"Can I at least get five minutes with my best friend before you come over here trying to crown him the king of the mile fucking high club?!" Nick groaned in sheer exasperation, glaring with disgust at Natalie as he slammed a hand against the backside of the seat in front of him.

"I’m okay, Nat," Brian promised before she could offer Nick a scathing retort. Settling into his seat, he reached for his bottled water, giving Natalie a reassuring smile before she turned and headed away. "What the Hell's your problem?" he questioned the moment she was out of earshot. "You know how much I hate flying. You know how much I hate being awakened when I'm having a good sleep. So why did you wake me up while flying?!"

"Because there wasn't a fucking instruction sheet pinned to the front of your shirt!"

"Nick--"

"I just want to talk, okay? Can you give me that much before you go falling into another relationship and completely forget I exist?"

"I'm not going to completely forget you exist…" Brian trailed softly, stung by Nick's accusation. "Natalie and I are taking it slow… But what's up? Why do you look like you did when AJ told you there was no Santa Claus?"

"That fucker…"

"What'd he do this time? Tell you that masturbating really does lead to hairy palms? 'Cause if so, he'd have hands like a werewolf--"

"Brian--" Nick's indigo eyes slightly widened in shock as if coming to the realization that masturbation did indeed cause excessive hair growth. AJ wasn't exactly clean shaven… And if he masturbated constantly-"Damnit! It ain't about him, Frick."

"Then what?" Brian questioned, furrowing his brows for a moment. Glancing at the other passengers on the plane, he caught sight of a pensive Alana snuggling with Elizabeth and Baylee. "Did something happen between you and Alana?"

"What hasn't happened between me and Alana?" Nick groaned as he slumped down into his seat, unable to keep himself from looking over at Alana as well. She was so beautiful, holding tight to the children as they started to drift into a comfortable nap. "Hell, the only thing that would complete us is me waiting for her to come at me with an IV pole, cursing that I got her pregnant."

"Nick, talking to you is like risking nuclear brain damage…"

"Brian… Look, let's say that the Gnat wasn't so damn open about her feelings for you. Like, maybe she kind of thought she was in love with you but was too stubborn to admit it, right? What would you do?"

Brian furrowed his dark blonde brows in confusion. "Have you been watching Hercules with Scooper again?"

"No… Alana was, and then her and your new toy sang that song about not saying you're in love--"

Brian looked bewildered. "And the problem is…?"

"Jesus," Nick hissed. "And they call me the… I think she loves me, okay? In fact, I'd pretty much bet my life on it. But she keeps pulling back and I know it has something to do with her kid and ex husband--"

"She was married before?" Brian interrupted incredulously, leaning back to catch sight of Alana. In the scheme of things, Brian quickly decided it was foolish of him to think that she hadn't been married at one time. She was a gorgeous woman with an infectious personality. A man would be dumb not to try to claim her as his own. "Of course she would be married because she did… She told you about her little boy?"

"Well, yeah-Wait. She told you? When?"

"After Scooper's surgery--She really told you what happened?"

"She told me that they left her… She didn't really go into any detail," Nick murmured, not liking the way Brian's eyes widened slightly. That usually meant his friend knew something. "I just figured that her husband took the kid… What'd she tell you?"

"There ain't any kind of parachutes hanging around this place, is there?" Brian stated wearily, glancing toward the window.

"If you don't tell me right now what she told you, I am so going to push you out of that window," Nick threatened.

"Nick, you really need to talk to her about it instead of me--"

"Now. Or I give you a detailed list of the things Nat and Howie did to each other at the bar that night--"

"Brian! This is fucking nuts! I need a damn list of who's rooming with who at this hotel! 'Cause if Aaron gets in my face one more time about rooming with Al, I'm going to give Nick another little sister," AJ demanded suddenly as he climbed onto the seats in front of Brian's, leaning over the back as Aaron fought for the floor of the conversation. "We've got suites with two rooms and suites with one room and, damnit, I want to room with Al!"

Brian looked bewildered, leaning back as AJ got closer and closer. "AJ, Natalie has the list of rooms, she arranged everything, so you have to talk to her--"

"Bullshit! She told me to fuck off, that she gave the list to you, and damnit, I want some answers!"

Rolling his eyes, Nick launched himself from the seat, pushing his brother into it before glancing at Brian. "Tell me later," he decided, knowing Brian would be spending the rest of the flight immersed in Aaron's argument with AJ. Raking a hand through his hair, he looked around.

"There's room over here for you…" a soft voice announced.

Smiling slightly, Nick moved to the seats Alana and the children occupied, stooping to scoop Elizabeth up before settling next to Alana. She offered him a warming smile as he snuggled close, her free arm curling around him, making him feel safe and secure. Stretching out so Elizabeth could lay comfortably on his chest, he released a soft sigh. Things would work out, he was certain. They had to. It looked as though his adoption of Zachary would be going through, and part of him counted on Alana to be there to help him and guide him along the way. "Having fun, Beautiful?"

"It ain't any different than being at home…" Alana trailed as she shifted to grasp the remote for the small DVD player. She had already put in a horror movie for herself now that the children were asleep. She knew this was nothing compared to being at home. There, she would be utterly alone as the date of her son's death quickly approached. She needed a chance to get away. This vacation had been such a blessing.

"You won't be saying that in a few hours," Nick promised, settling his head on her chest as Baylee shifted in his sleep. If Nick didn't know better, he would have sworn the child moved to offer him more room.

"True…" Alana agreed as she brought her free hand to Nick's messy locks. Since they were spending the majority of their day on a plane, he hadn't bothered to create a necessary style to his hair. Instead, he had combed it so his bangs were resting on his forehead instead of swept back. And Alana couldn't resist running her fingers through his soft locks. It gave her a sense of comfort to play with his hair. "Considering I'm either going to be rooming with Aaron or AJ… I think I should just pay Howie and trade him for the single suite…"

"We could always push AJ in with Aaron and room together," Nick suggested softly, glancing over to see the two he spoke of beginning to shove at each other. Brian, standing between them, looked lost as to what to do. "Maybe if we're lucky they'll kill each other before we even get there--"

"I like Aaron," Alana disagreed with a wrinkle of her nose, stilling her hands within his locks. "You should room with your brother in one of the bedrooms of a suite, then I could take the other bedroom with Elizabeth…"

"But what about Baylee?"

"He would room with his parents in a double bedroom suite… Of course…" Alana bit down on her bottom lip as she ruminated on the endless possibilities. "Elizabeth and Baylee could room with the parents… Then we give Aaron the single room in our suite and…" Her cheeks flushed pink at the thought of keeping Nick to herself. It was what she truly wanted. But everyone was so quick to make plans for her.

"You have the other room to yourself and I get to spoon with AJ?" Nick finished with a playful smirk, leaning his head back to look up at her.

"I knew you two had a thing brewing… This jealousy fighting thing over me is just a cover-up. You two are just trying to get rid of me so you two can have everything to yourselves," Alana breathed with sudden clarity, running her fingers down the length of his cheek and underneath his chin, feeling the roughness of facial hair beginning to sprout.

"Yep… He's my bitch," Nick sighed. "Seriously, though? Give Aaron the single room in our suite and the other room can be our little den of iniquity?"

"Den of iniquity?" Alana repeated, her bright teal eyes widening in surprise.

"The love shack… Room of romance… Boot-knocking bedroom--"

"I know what it means, I just didn't think you knew such a...novel word…"

"Why does everyone think that I'm some hulking blond surfer dude who only scratches himself and belches loudly?" Nick questioned with a snort. "I read. I watch old movies. I listen to people when they talk--well, most of them at least…"

"Your actions and character don't exactly exude Mr. SAT Prep."

"Well, Natalie's the biggest goober in the world but, according to Brian who I think might be a little biased, she's smart as Hell. She's working on her Master's in… What-the-fuck-ever it is…" Nick shrugged, not really caring. "Besides, maybe my actions and character are all a… Um…"

"Ruse," Natalie supplied as she climbed out of the seat in front of them. "And I'm not working on my Master's, I'm working on my second Bachelor's."

"What she said," Nick told Alana with a bright smile as Natalie headed to the back of the plane.

"You're way too cute," Alana decided with a laugh as she leaned down to kiss his upper lip. She had decided early on that it didn't matter whether Nick was intelligent or a complete baboon. Alana just enjoyed being with him. He made her laugh. And, for the first time in a long while, she felt needed and loved. And, perhaps, just a little bit less alone in the world.

"Does that mean I'm saved the torture of sleeping with AJ and get to share a room with you?" Nick questioned hopefully, drawing her upper lip between his for a quick nibble.

"I want to spend my entire vacation with you and only you," Alana confessed with a small nod, drawing back to lick her lips, savoring the taste of him. "I want to curl up in bed and know that you're the one nestled close to me, so I don't get too scared of being so far away from where I'm comfortable…"

"So I get to tell everybody--except for Lizzie and Bay--that they can fuck off?" Nick murmured with a pleased smile. "Just you and me?"

"If that's what you want…" Alana answered somewhat ambiguously, watching his indigo eyes for any since of disappointment.

Nick didn't bother hiding his pleasure at her affirmation, leaning up to catch her lips in a slow, smoldering kiss. "That," he breathed softly, savoring the sweetness of her lips, "is what I call a vacation."