- Text Size +
Nick felt his chest heave with ragged breaths as he dashed across what seemed like the entire length of the very large resort Brian had selected for their vacation. He felt his muscles pull with exhaustion, but managed to just increase his speed as he ducked between a young honeymooning couple who were just about to kiss. He ignored any thought of possibly finding the man's lips against his cheek as he focused on his task. He had to get to the resort's private beach as fast as humanly possible. Alana had left a note early that morning saying that AJ had offered to take her jet-skiing for the day. She obviously hadn't had the heart to rouse Nick from his deep sleep after their night of thorough love making, just scratching a note down for him to find later. Much later. It had been hard enough attempting to wrangle his excited body into a pair of trunks and muscle tank much less run the obstacle course of the resort. And, even now, as his bare feet hit the hot sand, he kept his gaze trained to the ocean's horizon, threatening to murder AJ for being so damn conniving so early in the morning.

"Nicky! I built sand castle! And--" Baylee cut off when Nick rushed past him. Narrowing his eyes, he turned to pout at his father. "Nicky no talk to me!"

"Nicky's… Preoccupied," Brian supplied with a gentle shrug, leaning over to hand Elizabeth a shell to place atop the elaborate castle they had spent the morning creating. Glancing up to see Nick running down the beach, he raised one eyebrow when the younger man skidded to a stop. Following his friend's glare, he smiled slightly when he saw the jet-ski zipping across the ocean surface.

"Nick got Alana's note this morning," Aaron sung with a bemused grin as he returned with another bucket filled with wet sand. Flopping beside Baylee in the warm sand, he craned his neck to see Alana revving the engine of the jet-ski, practically rearing it within the water as AJ held tight to her waist.

"And apparently it wasn't a love sonnet," Natalie added with a soft chuckle, glancing up from the turrets she was creating. Shaking her head, she watched Nick for a moment before continuing her work.

"Why Nicky 'pied, Daddy?" Baylee inquired with confusion as he turned slightly to watch Nick waving wildly toward the couple on the jet-ski. And when Nick began to jump, dance, and curse in an elaborate fashion, Baylee wrinkled his nose. "He gots crabs on him's weenie?"

Aaron exploded with laughter, dumping the sand from his bucket in front of Elizabeth. Adjusting the cap over her head, he wondered if it was time to make her take a break and go cool off in the water. He didn't want her to get overheated… "With his history? I wouldn't doubt it--"

Natalie snorted as means of an interruption, watching Aaron scoop Elizabeth into his arms. The little girl squealed in surprise, but clung to him otherwise. The sweetness of the two deterred her for a moment, but she instantly remembered why she had snorted. "Why do you guys always make Nick out to be some sort of man whore?"

"Because he is a man whore?" Howie murmured from his own beach blanket, flipping the page of his novel.

"He's a good looking millionaire in his twenties… Women naturally flock to him," Natalie offered as an explanation, peering at Howie over her sunglasses. "Just as women naturally flock to the rest of you--"

"That doesn't mean the rest of us… Flock back," Brian interrupted.

"But you all are a great deal older. He just loves life and…" Natalie fixed a glare of consternation at her lover. What was his problem? Nick had a troubled childhood to say the very least. No direction or guidance whatsoever from parents who were supposed to love him unconditionally. And he was like any hot-blooded American boy growing up. He wanted to test his limits and explore his options. There was no harm in that. "He's your best friend and you're supposed to be sticking up for him. Not to mention he is getting so serious with Alana--"

"Which won't last long," Howie decided to interrupt, gesturing for Aaron to slather sunblock on Elizabeth's fair skin. "Nick has gotten serious before… But it never lasts long."

"And I'm sure that had nothing to do with the amazing support he gets from all of you," Natalie snorted with derision, growing tired of everyone constantly downing Nick. It wasn't as though they were perfect. And, though she would rather throw herself into oncoming traffic than admit it, she viewed Nick as one of her closest friend, an annoying big brother in some ways. Brushing the sand from her hands as Baylee grabbed a bucket for more wet sand, she got to her feet. "And, since you all seem to care so much, I'll go and talk him into calming down before he gives himself a stroke."

"Thanks, Nat," Howie and Brian mumbled, returning to their leisurely activities.

"Assholes," Natalie muttered under her breath as she pulled Brian's t-shirt over her head. Resisting the urge to dump the bucket of water beside her over Brian's head, she got to her feet, heading down the beach to Nick.

"How long has she been jet-skiing with him?" Nick inquired loudly, though he didn't expect Natalie to be standing at his side. It had been more of a private, rhetorical question as he watched Alana slice through the wild waves with AJ hugging her tightly to his chest. Both were grinning and laughing at the excursion, Alana leaning back to yell something into AJ's ear as she revved the engine to jump another wave. And Nick felt his heart start to flatten at the mere sight of her gorgeous smile. God how he wished he was the only one that made her smile like that.

"Off and on for a couple of hours… AJ took Bay and Lizzie out for a few slow rides while Alana rubbed oil on Howie's back," Natalie informed him, offering him the bottled water she'd snatched from the cooler. "Then me and her went out for a bit… But they've been out for about an hour now--"

"Rubbed oil on Howie's back?" Nick exploded as he turned toward Natalie with a look of disgust. "Him, too?! What the fuck is it with my older brothers? Are they constantly trying to cock-block me for the sheer fun of it or what?!"

"Well I offered, but Bumpkin looked like he'd just swallowed a jalapeño, so… And it's not like that, Nicky. Besides, Lizzie helped her--"

"But she probably sat on his back and-Where do they park the jet-ski when they're done?"

"Down at the pier…" Natalie trailed, rolling her eyes when Nick began stalking in that direction. Running to catch up, she thrust the bottle of water into his hands. "And, no, she didn't sit on his back. At least, Alana didn't. Lizzie did. And she loudly informed one and all that she was passing gas in honor of her Nicky--"

"It's like everyone and their brother and God above are against me starting a serious relationship with Alana. They think I'm some kind of cosmic joke. Like I ain't capable of loving someone with my entire heart. Like just because my parents fucked up means that I'm supposed to be some kind of failure at romance, too. AJ always up her ass just trying to get a piece. Aaron wanting to be her little puppy. Howie calling her a fucking flavor of the week--"

"Nicky, no one thinks you're a joke. You're an awesome guy. Any woman would be lucky to have you," Natalie attempted to soothe, silently praying he would shorten his strides just a bit so she didn't have to jog to keep up. Glancing up at him, she bit her lip at the pained expression on his face, wishing she knew the words to say that would make him realize what a great person he truly was. Though she knew a lifetime of belittlements and over the top jibes had scarred him. "And I know you don't want just any woman. You want Alana… She wants you too, Nick--"

"Has she told you that?" Nick inquired, his feet slapping against the wooden planks of the long pier. He was fully intent on racing to the end as he noticed Alana turning the jet-ski, but heard Natalie panting slightly. Turning, he stopped completely for her to catch up, waiting diligently on the answer.

Snatching the water from his hands, Natalie took a long gulp before answering. "She doesn't have to tell me. Anybody with two eyes and half a brain could figure it out--"

"I want her to say it."

"Say what? Don't you realize how hard this is for her? What do you expect her to do, Nick? Jump off that jet-ski, leap into your arms and scream 'I love you'--"

"NICKY!" AJ screamed over the roar of the jet-ski as Alana pulled it up to the end of the pier.

"You sound like a bullfrog whenever you talk, but you scream and suddenly I feel like I have an immature adolescent girl behind me squealing over a lifeguard…" Alana murmured with disbelief as she turned off the engine of the jet-ski. Shifting slightly, she waited as AJ clamored onto the peer before handing him the rope to secure the expensive machine to the pier. Once she was assured it was tied, she reached out for his hand to be helped onto the pier.

"Hey!" AJ yelped painfully as he was instantly pushed aside, catching himself before he fell into the water. Glaring at Nick as the younger man assisted Alana onto the pier, he caught his breath before reaching to remove his lifejacket. "Huh. 'Bout fucking time you got up, Nicky Dicky--"

"Did you sleep well?" Alana questioned as Natalie reached to clamp a hand down on AJ's wrist, yanking him away to return the lifejacket before the man could start any more trouble. Alana had to smile at the loud whine that erupted from AJ's scrawny chest as he was tugged away, but her attention was pulled back to Nick when she felt his fingers slide against the zipper of her lifejacket. Freed from the buoyant prison, she offered a smile of gratitude toward Nick, shrugging it off before reaching up to secure her wet curls into a high ponytail.

"Until I rolled over and landed in a cold spot," Nick replied, tossing the lifejacket to the pier. Brushing his lips over hers, he glanced back at AJ. "Did you have… Fun?"

"Must have been better than landing on me," Alana teased as she wrapped her arms around his waist, drawing him closer to her. She had second thoughts about leaving him that morning when AJ had tapped so impatiently on their master bedroom door. She had longed to just cuddle against his side and watch the television till he stirred, but AJ was so persistent. So, giving him a sweet kiss goodbye, she had caved into AJ's demands. The morning had been fun, there was no doubt, but she had missed Nick. "…Of course I had fun. Jet-skis are just crazy. And I even hit this wave to make AJ going flying into the ocean. It was hysterical."

"How come he's not still in the ocean--"

"Because I unfortunately have an overwhelming since of compassion," Alana laughed, reaching up to kiss him once more. Finding his hands at his sides, Alana released his waist and let her fingers travel over his wrists and to his hands. Slowly, she guided his hands over her body to her bare midriff, wanting him to touch her. "And he's a lot of fun to play with."

"Play? …Like, as in kidding around play? Or play as in he's hot and you want to--"

"Play as in he's going to have to suffice when you're not around," Alana quickly corrected, not even wanting Nick to suggest anything remotely sexual happening between her and AJ. He was a nice guy and completely insane; someone who matched her need for bursts of adrenaline, but nothing that she couldn't get elsewhere. He was a great friend and nothing more. Though, by the look in Nick's darkening ocean eyes, Alana realized that there was no way she could pitch that concept today. Exhaling a soft breath, she pulled away from his taut form, bending down to scoop up her lifejacket to return.

"Why didn't you… That is… I would have… Um…" Nick trailed, floundering to think of the right words to say. "Want to go for a ride with me?"

"I didn't want to wake you up because you looked extremely comfortable," Alana explained as she handed over her lifejacket to the rental serviceman. Leaning on the counter, she eyed the selection behind the bleach blonde man, assuring to avoid all contact with him. Suddenly, catching sight of the surfboards, she turned to find Nick directly behind her. "When are you going to teach me to surf? You already showed me basics. I want to get on the water…"

Nick's brow wrinkled in confusion. "But… You were just on the water--"

"And your point is? I can't be in the water more than once a day? This coming from the man who has been permanently pruned by the ocean? Shouldn't you be squealing over the fact that I want to stay in the ocean? With you?" Alana inquired as she mustered a smile toward the serviceman, grabbing Nick's upper arm to lead him away from the pier. She could just help Elizabeth and Baylee with their boogie boards for the afternoon.

"Well, I--"

"Probably need to go back to bed, huh?" Alana suggested as they reached the lounge site of his friends. Noting Brian and Natalie curled together under a large beach umbrella, each reading their own magazines and Howie had fallen asleep with his nose pressed in the center of his novel; Alana stepped over them to reach AJ in the middle. Digging into her bag for a sun-block lotion, she seated herself beside AJ.

"Get up on the wrong side of the bed, Dicky?" AJ questioned idly, taking the lotion from Alana.

Nick scowled, hating the man more and more with each passing moment. "No, I got up on the normal side of the bed, and then… And she… And you… Give me that fucking lotion," he growled, walking across Brian and Natalie to reach them. Shoving the older man aside, he snatched the bottle away before settling next to Alana.

"Al, he's getting violent with me," AJ suddenly whined as Brian and Natalie growled at the feeling of Nick's sandy feet sinking into their bodies. Not that Nick seemed to mind as he shoved AJ far away from Alana's opposite side. It only seemed to make AJ whine louder with distress.

"I kind of like it," Alana purred with a devilish smile, shifting so she could settle between Nick's legs. Resting her arms on his bent knees, she pulled her wet curls away from her neck, hoping Nick would take the hint.

"And if you don't shut the fuck up, I'm going to get more violent," Nick warned with a sharp glare before turning his attention to Alana. Smirking at the sight of her back, he slid one hand over her skin, quickly untying the bottom string of her bikini top. Hearing AJ's grumbles, he held back a snicker, leaning over to lightly kiss Alana's neck as he squeezed a dollop of lotion into his hand.

"You came just in time," Alana decided as she pulled her arms from his knees to fold over her almost bared breasts, watching AJ move to lie in front of them. She rolled her eyes playfully at his obvious attempt at peeking. "I think you're the best at this sunscreen thing, Nickalicious. You can be my official cabana boy."

"And just what do my duties include?" Nick questioned as he began to gently rub in the lotion. Catching the tie at her neck between his teeth, he tugged, smiling in satisfaction when the ties fell forward. Glancing up when he heard her squeal, he saw AJ practically breaking his neck as he craned to get a peek. "Get the fuck out of here," he growled.

AJ snorted. "No fucking way--"

"JJ!" Baylee screamed from down the beach, where he, Elizabeth and Aaron were hunting shells. "Lizzie need you! NOW!"

"Probably needs someone to take her to the potty, AJ," Natalie snickered, leaning forward slightly as she closed her magazine, glancing toward Alana who had pulled the untied top from her lap and set it at the side of her beach blanket.

AJ whined as he got to his feet reluctantly. "But I don't want to take her to the potty…" his voice trailed as he headed down the beach.

Nick grinned in triumph, sitting back slightly so he could properly apply the lotion to Alana's back. "I am so buying that kid a Barbie Dreamhouse-Jesus, Nat, stop gawking! Don't you have tits of your own to look at?!"

"I'm just looking! Jesus, Nick…" Natalie huffed.

"Is there a reason that you're looking at Alana's… Her… Well…" Brian shrugged helplessly as he glanced over to Nick and Alana. His eyes moved from her bare back as Nick slowly rubbed the lotion into her bronzed skin. Following the slow circular movements of his friend's hands, he trialed the curve of Alana's shoulder to her upper torso. Her arms were wrapped tightly around her bared breasts, but the soft peaks and valley remained, causing Brian to clear his throat. He immediately turned his attention back to his magazine, holding his breath.

"Ain't nothing to look at," Alana mumbled, her cheeks a fiery red as she pulled her knees to her chest, wrapping her arms about them for further protection.

Natalie pulled her gaze away to glance at Brian, biting back a giggle when she saw his flushed cheeks. "Bumpkin, breathe… You’ve seen breasts before--"

"But not Alana's," Nick interrupted, sliding his hands down to rest on Alana's waist. "Want me to do your front too?"

"Are you going to keep exposing my body like I'm your little blow-up doll?" Alana questioned as Nick laid her out on the large beach blanket. She immediately squealed with protest, though Nick was quick to cover her body with his. Holding her breath, her bare breasts rose to meet his bare chest. An electric shock of smoldering passion ripped down her spine, though she became aware of the fact that Howie was lying next to her sleeping and Brian and Natalie were watching curiously on the other side.

"It's covered," Nick murmured just before catching her lips in a fired kiss, ignoring his best friend's whine of disapproval.

"If you're going to have sex on the beach, can you not do it right next to me?" Howie mumbled sleepily as he rolled over, one arm flopping across his face to shield his eyes.

"Shut up, Howie," Natalie muttered.

"If you get that Adult charge on the bill at the end of this vacation, odds are that Allie was the culprit, huh?" Alana guessed against Nick's lips, nipping at his tongue when it entered her mouth. Purring with a soft delight at the sensations he was causing, Alana couldn't resist reaching her hand out to run up Howie's bare side.

"HEY!" Howie shrieked, leaping away. His mind still foggy from sleep, he assumed Nick had been the one touching him and immediately plotted revenge. Spying a bucket of water within reach, left over from the kids' sandcastle, he snatched it up, quickly dumping it over Nick's head.

"See if I ever touch you again," Alana choked in shock as the salty seawater rained down on her face. Sputtering to rid the awful taste from her mouth, she pushed Nick off her body and scrambled for her bikini top. Stumbling into a standing position, she stalked down the beach as she secured tight knots in her bikini strings. Rubbing her face repeatedly, she coughed and hacked.

"I thought it was Nick!" Howie yelped.

"That's what I get for trying to be part of the group," Alana coughed as she reached Aaron and Baylee on the shoreline, attempting to catch a small crab. Stopping in front of Aaron, she used the back of his t-shirt to pat her face dry, making another face at the taste of salt. "And even if it was Nick, he still would have hit me with the-Oh, I ain't ever signing onto his label. Hell no."

"What happened?" Aaron questioned, standing to peel off his t-shirt so she could dry her face off properly. Glancing over at the others, he saw Nick shoving his finger in Howie's face. Seeing the bucket in the older man's hand, as well as his brother's soaked head, he got the idea. "Howie put a damper on your loving?"

"JJ gone t'take Lizzie poop," Baylee announced as he leaned closer to the crab. Pursing his lips in concentration, he dropped the empty bucket over it, quickly turning it over to see the crab inside. "I DID IT!"

"A damper on my loving doesn't even begin to describe what Banana Nut Crunch did to me…" Alana breathed, smiling thankfully toward Aaron as she offered him his t-shirt back. When he tucked it into the pocket of his shorts, she stooped to wrap her arms around Baylee's pot belly from behind. Peering over his shoulder, she cooed at the small crab he had collected. "Look, it's Sebastian!"

"Where Ariel?" Baylee questioned, looking out towards the ocean as though the mermaid would appear. "Her under th' sea wit' Flounder?"

"Probably waiting for Eric to come rescue her," Alana agreed with a nod, blowing a raspberry to the side of the little boy's face.

"Sebastian want'a go back to her?" Baylee sighed, staring down at the crab.

Aaron leaned over, grinning from ear to ear. "Hold on, Bay, I know exactly what Sebastian wants to do… He wants to go see Uncle Howie…"

"I ain't getting involved in this plan," Alana immediately declined as she stood and brushed the sea swept curls away from her face. She could tell by the dark glimmer in Aaron's chocolate eyes that he was up to no good. "…But I want to watch."

"Alright… Listen closely, Bay," Aaron directed, leaning close to whisper in the boy's ear. Pointing towards Howie, he continued to grin as Baylee nodded with understanding. After giving him step by step instructions, he leaned back. "Got it?"

"Uh-huh…" Baylee trailed, gripping the bucket tightly as he slowly headed down the beach.

"Now watch this," Aaron told Alana, his grin widening as he stood next to her. Draping an arm around her shoulder as Nick stormed away from Howie, he waved his older brother older, keeping his eyes on Baylee's progress. Down the beach, kicking up clumps of wet sand as Howie settled back down to continue his nap. Up towards the blanket, moving slowly so as not to be detected, kneeling down at Howie's feet as the man picked up his book.

"What's Bay doing?" Nick questioned with a knowing look as he approached them, glancing back to watch.

"Shh…" Aaron bit back a loud laugh as Baylee leaned up, tilting the bucket. Watching the crab skitter out, he worried that his plan might fail, but was instantly rewarded with Baylee gently batting the crab in the opposite direction. Seconds later Howie was on his feet, howling with pain as he furiously shook the leg of his shorts. "YES!"

"TO ARIEL, SEBASTIAN! RUN TO ARIEL!" Baylee screeched as Howie jerked wildly around in a painful dance. Natalie and Brian stared at Howie with a bizarre sense of fascination, watching when Howie grabbed his crotch and crumpled to the blanket in a howl of relief. Somehow, the crab seemed to know that his duty of service had terminated as he dropped from Howie's trunks and scurried down the beach.

"Shit, we got to go," Alana breathed with tight peals of laughter, tugging at the brothers' arms. "C'mon, hurry!"

"AARON! I DID IT!" Baylee screamed with triumph, waving the empty bucket in the air wildly.

"Now we really got to go!" Alana yelped, yanking harder on the boys' arms to get them running.

*~*~*

Humming softly to himself as he stepped out of the bathroom, Brian loosened his grip on the towel around his waist, moving to the dresser to retrieve clean clothes. Natalie had gone with Aaron, Elizabeth and Baylee to get the kids some new sandcastle building supplies, and he knew they would be back soon and ready for dinner. Muffling a yawn as he tossed the towel to the bed, he pulled on his boxers, wondering if he had time for a quick snooze before getting dressed.

"You might consider getting a little sun there, Brian," Alana announced from the open doorway, grinning when the man lurched forward, stumbling slightly before landing on his backside next to the dresser.

"How long have you been here?!" Brian yelped as he got to his feet, quickly yanking on a t-shirt.

"Not long enough to see Allie's Promised Land," Alana assured him with a wicked smile.

"What-You-Me-I'm-I can't believe--"

"I honestly didn't see anything," Alana interrupted softly as she held her hands up as means of innocence. Suddenly the minx in her was drowned at the sight of Brian's stricken face. She smiled apologetically as she leaned against the door, releasing the softest of sighs. She had just been perplexed when entering her master bedroom after Nick had smacked a kiss to her lips and hurried out the door without so much as an explanation. That hadn't bothered her, but the present waiting on her bed had. "I was just walking by and your door was open and someone left your new CD on my bed. It was addressed to me, so I figured before I started listing it on Ebay, I better figure out who it was from. Unless you want me to leave, which is fine--"

"No, no, you can stay," Brian interrupted. Grateful his heart had returned to its normal pace. "I think Nat left you the CD… She grabbed a few copies to give out… Want to go sit on the balcony?"

"Gotcha…" Alana trailed, tucking her hands into the back pockets of her frayed and torn, hipster jeans. She stared down at her bare feet like a bashful child, shifting her weight from foot to foot. "I really didn't mean to bother you. I just wanted to thank you for the CD, I guess. I really wasn't sure what my thought process was to tell you the truth--"

"Have you listened to it yet?" Brian questioned softly, somewhat hopeful that she had and would give him good feedback. He had worked so hard on it, considered each song he had recorded something akin to a child. And, knowing that there were plenty of people who may not agree with his faith, didn't care what anyone thought, really. He had done the album for himself.

"Yeah, I popped it into my CD player for a listen," Alana agreed with a nod, slowly following Brian to the balcony after he stepped into a pair of shorts.

"Is it the worst crap you've ever heard?"

"It ain't crap," Alana disagreed with a shake of her head, slowly sliding into the chair beside Brian. Propping her feet on the railing, she glanced out at the turmoil of the rolling blue-green waves. "Your voice is beautiful. There is no doubt about that, Brian. You have a talent and you have every right to be proud of that. But, I'm not the one to get feedback on your songs from."

"Thanks… And why not? You have ears, don't you?"

"Well, of course, but the message that you're trying to spread. What your entire CD conveys… I'm not sure that I'm one to understand it. I mean, I'm Christian… Methodist if you want to break down the Protestant chain… But I've been angry at God for too long to feel the passion of your message..." Alana admitted truthfully as she kept her gaze trained on the horizon. Working as a nurse, she had been greeted with God's miracles every day. There was no way that she could deny her faith. That is, till her son died. Then, every fiber of God's love that had pulsated inside her shriveled and decayed. In many ways, she died along with her son that day.

Brian nodded with understanding, looking out towards the ocean. "I understand that, Alana, I really do… How did Colton die? If you don't want to tell me, I--"

"He had an undiagnosed heart defect," Alana interrupted before Brian could dismiss the conversation. Her voice was hoarse with the building of emotion, haphazardly playing with the holey and frayed material over her bare knee. She had never discussed the death of her child with anyone. Her ex-husband had been cold and distant after the funeral and her family dismissed her as a failure. It was kept bottled inside like a festering sore, but Brian's soft understanding voice coaxed her to release some of the pain. "Colt actually had a ventricular septal defecte like you and Baylee. The pediatrician missed it during his physicals, I guess… He never had any symptoms of the defect. He was just this bundle of energy… Then he turns two and I think it's a good idea to start getting him introduced to the dentist. Because I didn't know about the defect, I didn't even think of starting him on an antibiotic before the appointment. When the dentist cleans anyone's teeth with a heart defect, they run the risk of the plaque getting into their heart and developing an infection. But you already know that… Well… He went to the dentist, we came home, and by that morning Jeremy was rushing him to the Emergency Room while I performed CPR. He died of endocarditis…"

"I'm so sorry," Brian whispered, impulsively reaching for her hand. Though he knew the last thing she wanted was comfort, he had a feeling it was what she needed. He couldn't imagine having to go through the loss of a child, though he had come terribly close to losing Baylee.

"I should have known something was wrong with him. I should have listened to his heart when he was a baby. Not just taken the pediatrician's word that everything was okay. I'm a nurse for God's sake…" Alana continued with a hard shudder, never pulling her hand away from Brian's as she concentrated on the ocean. She was oblivious to the tears pouring from her eyes, void of her painful emotions. "Jeremy blamed me from the start… My family thought I was a failure… Hell, I just wanted my baby back…"

"You still have him, Alana… He'll always be in your heart--"

"Do you want to see a picture?" Alana inquired, not really up for the meaningless expressions that had been offered from her past co-workers when they had seen her racing into the Emergency Room with her little boy clutched in her arms. Sniffling heavily, she shifted to her side, reaching to withdraw her slim wallet from her back pocket. She always kept her son's photograph close by. It gave her comfort to know she would never forget his face.

"Of course," Brian agreed with an easy smile, sitting up straighter as she flipped open the wallet.

"I think this is a phenomena between parents and their collage of mini photo albums in their wallets," Alana decided with a soft sniffle, blinking rapidly to clear away the tears. Handing over her wallet, she shifted to lean on the arm of Brian's chair, gesturing toward the first photograph. It was her favorite and most recent of Colton. He had insisted on bathing in the master bathroom with his Mr. Bubbles, actually proceeding to dump the whole box into Alana's jacuzzi. Needless to say, bubbles reached the high ceilings and Colton sat right in the middle, grinning wildly with Alana tucked behind him. He looked almost identical to his mother with strawberry blonde curls and a light layer of freckles crossing his petite nose. The only attribute that he seemed to have from his father was his rusty brown eyes. His grin was impish as he held onto his mother's neck, flashing the photographer a 'thumb's up' sign.

"He's beautiful," Brian murmured, lightly tracing Colton's grin with the tip of his finger. The light shining in the boy's eyes, making his grin seem even bigger, caused Brian's throat to close with emotion. An amazing life, filled with laughter and love, cut too short. "He looks just like you…"

"His father always complained that he had my personality, too…" Alana murmured, clearing her throat to ward off the sob hiding deeper in her chest. Reaching, she turned the page to show another photograph of Colton perched on a small black and white colt. He had a cowboy hat in his hand, thrusting it toward the camera with what looked like a squeal of laughter. "That was his horse. We bought one that was born on the same day as him. He named it Cowboy…"

"This what you got your tattoo modeled after?" Brian questioned softly.

"Yeah," Alana confirmed with a small nod. "Colt always told me that he was going to be a cowboy and, when I was pregnant, he always kicked me right there when he wanted my attention… He was so aware of the outside world, even when he was inside… He used to tell me he was special, 'cause he knew what my heart felt like from the inside…"

"You were lucky to have such a great son, Alana… He looks like he was very happy--"

"You're the lucky one," Alana disagreed as she leaned back in her seat once more, unable to look at the pictures any longer. "Baylee is such a beautiful little boy. He's so sharp and so attentive. Like a little firecracker."

"God's blessed me--"

"No doubt…" Alana trailed, accepting the wallet when Brian finished looking over her photographs. Folding it back up, she leaned to replace it in her back pocket. "You've got a beautiful son and Natalie is something special, too."

"I know… I was just too stupid to realize how special she was until it was almost too late," Brian murmured, mostly to himself as he lifted his gaze out to the ocean once more. "Speaking of--"

"There's no use in thinking about the 'almost' in life. Truth is, you realized how much you loved her and crossed the finish line to win," Alana vaguely referenced, stretching her long legs onto the balcony railing. She then absentmindedly played with the frayed edges of the knee hole in her jeans.

"What about you?" Brian inquired softly.

"What about me?" Alana questioned in confusion. "I already hit the finish line and pretty much retired. Married right out of college and had a child. Life goals met."

"But you and Nick--"

"Are enjoying each other's company," Alana finished simply, not really wanting to delve into her relationship with Nick. Not that she could call it much of a relationship to begin with. If anything, their endeavors traveled the path of passion and physical rewards. There was no need for emotional ties. Or at least, that's what she had been telling herself as Baylee healed in the hospital. And this Bahamas vacation - that was means to an end.

"He's fallen in love with you, Alana. I'd call that more than enjoying each other's company," Brian pointed out, raising a brow.

"He's not in love with me…" Alana trialed, shifting uncomfortably so she could completely avoid Brian's gaze.

"Yes he is," Brian persisted.

"He's just territorial of his…flings…flavors… Whatever y'all label them to be at this point…"

"Alana, come on… I know Nick. He's never been this way about a woman--"

"What does it matter, Brian? Why are you so insistent on pushing this? Because, when it all comes to an end, I'm still going to be in Kentucky and he'll be going back to Florida. And, I carry so many ghosts in my life. It ain't fair to him and it never will be…"

"Distance has nothing to do with it, Alana. Have you even talked to Nick at all about Colton? Does he know anything about him?"

"He knows I had a son and I had a husband," Alana answered softly, though those facts had been revealed in error. And she hadn't lied to him during that moment, either. She had stated both of them were gone and were never coming back. She just hadn't spoken the entire truth. That her son was dead and her ex-husband had blamed her. She didn't see the need to inform him of such tragedies.

"…Don't you think you need to talk to him about--"

"DADDY!"

"Your private oasis has been officially crashed," Alana decided as she heard Baylee scream for his father in rapid repetition. She silently thanked God for the means of escape, crawling out of her chair. Wiping her hands on her jeans, she shifted precariously from foot to foot. "It was nice chatting with you, Brian. I think I'll go take a walk on the beach or something…"

"This talk isn't over," Brian informed her gently as he got to his feet. "Why don't you stay? Join us for dinner - Where the Hell is Nick at, anyway?"

"I'm not really sure where he is," Alana answered truthfully as Elizabeth and Baylee began wildly tapping at the balcony's glass doors. Baylee, watching to catch the adults' attention, pressed the large leather book he had been holding into his arms against his stomach, wedging it between the glass and himself. "I was taking a shower and he yelled something through the door and--"

"DADDY!" Baylee screamed as the doors flung open from Elizabeth's wriggling of the handle, falling against his father in a rush. "Look'it! Nicky left his 'ketches here'd!"

"Two little'n's got some sugar while they were out shopping," Alana breathed in surprise as Elizabeth launched into her arms. Countering the toddler's weight so she didn't fall over, she easily settled Elizabeth on her hip. Leaning to kiss her forehead, she saw Aaron and Natalie in the kitchenette unloading the take-out they had bought for the group.

"Cott'n candy an' a sucker bigger'n Aaron's head," Elizabeth confided with a squeal, blowing a loud raspberry against Alana's cheek. "An' ice cream an' cookies--"

"You won't be sleeping for the rest of the vacation," Alana laughed, tickled by the little girl's raspberry. Glancing toward Aaron and his devilish smirk, she realized that he had snuck all the treats in while Natalie was elsewhere. "Thank God you ain't sleeping in my bedroom."

"Aaron says we s'eep'n wit' JJ!" Baylee exclaimed, shoving the leather book into his father's hands. "Daddy! Open it! Got's nakie 'Lana!"

"Scooper, you know you're not supposed to be snooping around in your Uncle Nicky's things," Brian chided as Aaron scooped up the child to place him in his booster seat. Moving to sit at the head of the table, Brian made sure to place a warm kiss on Natalie's neck. Hearing her sigh with appreciation, he rubbed the small of her back before placing the leather book on the table. It was the sketchbook that Brian had purchased Nick for one of his birthdays years ago. One could easily see its age by the tears and faded corners, but Nick continued to add pages to it, unwilling to part with such a treasure. And, though he had just scorned his son, Brian couldn't help but peek.

"Apparently your Daddy can, though," Aaron muttered to Baylee, causing the boy to snort with laughter as Natalie began serving the Mexican food.

"Did the artist catch the true essence of the subject?" Natalie asked Brian with a smirk, pressing a soft kiss on his cheek before motioning for him to sit.

"I don't think anyone could ever pin-point the true essence of Alana," Brian answered honestly, flipping through the early pages till he found sketch after sketch of Alana. To say the man was infatuated would be an understatement. Exhaling a soft breath, Brian glanced to Alana as she tucked Elizabeth into her booster seat. "You need to see them."

"I think I already know what I look like naked…" Alana trailed, glancing to the sketchbook in Brian's hands. Nick spent all his private hours with his nose pressed close to that book. Mostly when she overslept, she would find him by the glass doors leading to their balcony, watching her as he sketched.

Leaning over Brian's shoulder to take a peek, Natalie's eyes widened slightly. "…Maybe… But do you know what you look like naked with a wave crashing behind you?"

"'Lana a mermaid?!" Baylee questioned excitedly.

"I WANNA SEE!" Elizabeth squealed.

"Nude artistry is not something these squirts need to be looking at," Alana declined, chewing thoughtfully on her bottom lip as Aaron swooped in for the book. "Do I look horrible? Like represented truly in art form as I am in reality?"

"You're gorgeous," Aaron breathed, reaching to run his finger along the outline of the sketched breast before the book was yanked away by Natalie. "Hey!"

"Do you guys mind not passing his sketches of my naked body around for your amusements?" Alana questioned, unable to hide the dark blush creeping to her cheeks. She didn't see the sketches yet, but the excitement glimmering in the adults' eyes warned her otherwise. "And you don't even know that it's me! It could be some other woman that he's infatuated with--"

"He's not infatuated with any woman but you," Aaron stated with a shrug as Natalie flipped through the book. "And trust me, it's you--"

"Here," Natalie murmured, pushing the book into Alana's hands. "See for yourself--"

Alana wanted to just snap the book closed and call it a means to an end, but she couldn't help herself when she caught the first glide of a graphite pencil. Exhaling a soft breath, Alana opened the book wider as she eased herself onto the nearby loveseat. To say Nick was talented would be an understatement. He seemed to catch the wildness of the ocean waves rising up behind a woman walking toward the artist. Her arms were outstretched to welcome the waves around her, proud of her nudity. Long curls spilt wildly over her shoulders as she held a small smirk on her gorgeous face. Turning the page, she was met with picture after picture of the same woman in different surroundings. It was as if he couldn't seem to forget the woman, especially as she found the last picture. The woman lying amongst a tangle of sheets, sleeping soundly with her hands tucked underneath her pillow, small portions of her bare body peeking from beneath the sheets.

"So?" Natalie asked after a moment, jerking Alana from her concentration. "Isn't it--"

"Hey, Frick! You seen Alana? I went out to do some things and when I came back she wasn't - Do I smell burritos?" Nick questioned loudly as he burst into the suite.

"Oh, Holy Hell!" Alana yelped in shock as she threw the leather book into the air and toward Natalie, hurriedly scrambling from the loveseat to get as far away from the evidence as possible.

Laughing, Nick turned to catch her in his arms, pulling her up close for a gentle kiss. "That excited to see me, Beautiful?"

"Ecstatic," Alana promised softly against his lips, holding her hands up in defense. For a moment as he softened his kisses against her lips, she fought for where to place her hands. She wanted to wrap them around his neck or run them down his shoulders, but finally dropped her arms to her sides. "Does that mean I get off scot-free?"

"Scot-free for what?" Nick questioned in confusion, reaching to lace his fingers with hers. "Been telling everyone how bad I am in bed or something?"

"Nicky is so oblivious," Natalie sighed as she seated herself at the table.

"Score for me," Alana breathed with sheer relief, bringing their hands to her lips for a soft kiss. "Where were you anyway?"

"Making plans and picking up some things," Nick answered evasively. "And our very private dinner should be waiting for us in our room…"

"Our very private dinner should be waiting for us in our room," Alana repeated to the other adults as Nick started to pull her from Brian and Natalie's suite. When Nick wasn't looking, she gestured wildly to Aaron for him to somehow replace Nick's sketchbook in their suite without his knowing. And when he turned to look at her, she mustered a cool smile, leaning up to kiss him once more. "Why are we having a very private dinner?"

"Because, we--"

"Nicky! Don't forget your 'ketchbook!" Elizabeth exclaimed, scrambling from Aaron's lap to retrieve the book that had been placed on the counter. Fumbling slightly with the clasp, she rushed over, grinning brightly.

"Elizabeth," Alana groaned in disbelief, finding Nick turn his gaze upon her. "Brian looked in it first!"

"No big deal. Not like he hadn't seen 'em already," Nick shrugged, stooping to offer Elizabeth a kiss. "Thanks, Sweetcheeks. Better go eat your food before Aaron gets it all, though--"

"That's it?" Alana interrupted in disbelief, watching Nick pat Elizabeth's backside to hurry her back to the table. "No hysterical blow up for looking at your private property? No outrage? No hate? No yelling?"

"They're all drawings of you, Beautiful… I mean, hey, you know what you look like naked, right?" Nick questioned with a grin, looping his arm around her waist. "Now c'mon, before our dinner gets cold…"

"Well, yeah, I've looked in a mirror when I was- They're really drawings of me?"

"Well, yeah--"

"Nick…" Alana trailed, not knowing what else to really say as he opened the door to their suite, turning back to her. "…Why me?"

Leaning in the doorway, Nick reached to gently caress her cheek, his fingers brushing a stray lock of hair behind her ear. "Because you're beautiful--"

"Nick," Alana groaned softly as she pulled her face from his hand. Her entire body shivered from the soft touch of his hand, causing tears to gather in her teal eyes. No one had ever murmured those words to her with such conviction. Like he couldn't live a day without her. "You're going to make me cry."

"Does the truth hurt?" he questioned softly, pulling her to him so he could place a soft kiss on her forehead. Seeing her tear up made his heart wrench. He vowed to himself to never make her cry again. "'Cause if it does… Well, you're ugly. You're the most hideous creature to ever walk the face of the earth--"

"God, that's awful," Alana grunted, pushing on his chest meekly before just throwing her arms around his neck for a fierce hug. "You're a great guy, Nick."

"You're greater," he promised, hugging her tightly as he pulled her into the suite. "Can we eat now?"