- Text Size +
"'Lana, this suit is 'tuffy!"

Glancing up at Baylee's sharp whine of annoyance, Alana watched as he pushed his tiny frame through the jumble of people in order to reach her. He looked miserable in the black pinstripe suit with fully lined jacket, pants, vest, and white dress shirt. Tugging at the black tie wrapped around his neck, he fussed loudly as he attempted to climb on the couch beside her. Smiling sympathetically, she reached her free arm out to help him into her lap, leaning to press a soft kiss to his forehead as Zachary snoozed lightly on her bare shoulder. She had tried to tell Natalie that if Nick and AJ whined about being dressed in suits that Baylee was going to have a tougher time than one could imagine. But, Natalie, wanting the picture of perfection, insisted that the toddler and infant both wear suits. It was amazing to say the least. Brian's solo album coming out in a day and Natalie throwing him a classy pre-release party because she would be unable to stand at his side through the release. Their love was hidden because of his secret divorce, which Alana knew was agony for Natalie. But, she most definitely put her time and energy into positive works instead of wallowing. Having rented a spacious reception hall, she had called for the most expensive caterer's in town to feed the large group of people - friends, family, and business associates - on the best china she could have possibly found. It was gorgeous to say the very least. Alana was absolutely amazed.

"Lizzie here an' I look like a 'tupid ee-jit," Baylee whined, wrinkling his nose in disgust when he remembered his father had placed a real tie on him. Not a clip-on. "It's hot an'--"

"'Lana? Have you seen Bumpkin?" Natalie questioned suddenly as she appeared in front of them. Nervously twisting the promise ring on her left ring finger, she scanned the crowd once more. Not wanting to appear selfish, she had insisted that Brian mingle with the guests, not realizing that doing so would mean she would barely get a glimpse of him all night. She just wanted a few moments alone with him. To feel his arms around her.

"He was talking to one of his producers off to the side and then I lost him," Alana admitted honestly as Elizabeth came dancing over in her maroon dress with a flaring skirt fluffed underneath with tulle. Feeling the added weight of the second child, Alana mustered a small smile toward Natalie. She had been deemed the official babysitter of the night. Or so it seemed since she was still somewhat handicapped with the crutches and immobilizer. Nick had easily shifted Zachary into her arms so he could mingle with the variety of guests. And she was perfectly content doing so, especially since every so often, Aaron brought her a friend drink. "Oh! He's over there with his cousin."

Natalie scanned the area, her lips curving into a soft smile when she saw Brian describing something in detail to Kevin. Turning her attention to Elizabeth for a moment, she stooped to admire the girl's brand new dress. Reaching to playfully tug on a soft curl that framed Elizabeth's face, she laughed when the girl giggled. "Are you having fun, Lizzie?"

"Uh-huh! Bwi tol' me I'm an angel," Elizabeth cooed, a soft flush touching her cheeks. Smoothing her hands over her skirt, she stepped away to do a twirl.

"A fab'wu'lous angel," Baylee sighed dreamily from Alana's lap, leaning back to press a kiss underneath her chin before sliding to the floor. Yanking at the tie one more time, Baylee then reached out for Elizabeth's hand. "Go play with the toys I got? No Zach with us?"

"We dance?" Elizabeth requested hopefully, looking out towards the center of the Hall. "P'ease?"

Natalie pressed her fingers to her lips as Baylee faltered for a moment. But there was no way he could resist Elizabeth's charms. Allowing himself to be dragged away, he shot one quick, fearful glance over his shoulder at Natalie and Alana before disappearing into the crowd. Looking towards Brian once more, she felt her heart skip a beat when her eyes met his. He gave her an almost imperceptible nod before heading her way. Sinking onto the couch next to Alana, she released a shaky breath. "I hate being in the same room with him and not being able to love on him like I want to…"

"I'm sure it's just as hard on him as it is on you," Alana promised softly as she languidly rubbed her hand over Zachary's back as he slept peacefully against her bare shoulder. Glancing sideways to her best friend, she offered a kind smile. Natalie couldn't have looked more beautiful in her simple, blueberry, cashmere sweater-dress that hung delicately off her shoulders and clung to her sweet form. Her long, camel locks pulled back in a delicate French braid for a sophisticated impression. "You look absolutely fantastic tonight and he loves you to death... You just have to remember he's getting into a Christian genre which is pretty frightening considering he's filing for divorce."

"I know…" Natalie trailed with a soft nod. Placing her hands in her lap as she watched Brian's slow progress across the suddenly expansive Hall, she fought to keep her feelings for him hidden. As she had done for so long. She would have thought it would be easier now. "I just--"

"Have to give the man some more time even though you've given him all the time in the world," Alana interjected with a note of sympathy to her soft voice. "Just think how much sweeter it'll be when you're finally together without having to hide anything? It'll make all this tension melt away. Besides, you two creeping around makes things hot and heavy for the sex life anyway, right? Why ruin that?"

"Alana," Natalie groaned, shaking her head. "I really need to learn to keep my mouth shut about what happens in the bedroom between me and Bumpkin, don't I?"

"I figure I'm going to keep bringing up your kinky habits till you remember not to tell me," Alana agreed with a thoughtful nod.

"Then I won't tell you what we did in the shower before we left the – Hi," Natalie greeted Brian with a warm smile.

"Thank God," Alana breathed against the side of her son's face.

"I definitely walked in on something that I didn't want to," Brian concluded with a soft laugh as he took Natalie's hand into his to press a soft kiss to her knuckles. "Thank you so much for this party, Natalie."

"You deserve it," Natalie promised. "And thank 'Lana too, she picked out all the flowers--"

"Sis! Sis!" Aaron cried, bursting into the corner with a wide grin. Dropping onto the couch, he blatantly pointed to a young woman talking with Kristin. "See her? What do you think?!"

"I think if she's managing to get a smile on Kristin's face after the wicked fight she had with Kevin before the party began…" Alana trailed as she observed the young woman Aaron continued to gesture towards. She was of average height, perhaps a few inches short, dressed appropriately in an elegant, backless, black dress, her short russet curls bobbing just beneath her chin. She spoke with an exuberant animation toward Kristin, instantly including Kevin in the conversation when he returned with drinks. "That she's probably a real sweetheart and worth your time."

"She's really funny," Aaron sighed, leaning against Alana so he could properly watch the young woman in question. Completely ignoring the pleasant glow from Kristin when she allowed the woman to touch her baby bump, he sighed again. "I should ask her out, huh? Brian! Who is she?!"

Pulling his gaze away from the vision of loveliness that was pressed into his side, her arm demurely slid through his as if they had the perfect friendship. Though, no one could see the way his fingers gently brushed over hers as he clasped his free hand protectively over hers. But when Aaron whined in aggravation, he glanced over to Kristin and Kevin. "Oh, that's Staci, my tour producer's daughter."

"She likes babies," Alana observed with a small smile as she nudged Aaron's side. Carefully, she shifted Zachary into his awaiting arms. "Go talk to her again with Zachie. Tell her you're watching your nephew and how much you love him. Gesture over to me to say you're giving me a break. Lord knows I look like I need it."

"That really works? The whole guys-with-babies thing?" Aaron questioned uncertainly, reaching to smooth the front of Zachary's suit.

"Just go," Natalie sighed, squeezing Brian's arm gently as Aaron got to his feet. Glancing to the man at her side, she smiled when his fingers brushed her skin. "Good thing Kevvy's there to keep Aaron from making a total fool of himself."

"If anything goes wrong, just give him a call on his cell phone as means of an escape," Brian chuckled.

"It's almost time to eat," Natalie murmured softly with a glance at her watch. Loath to leave Brian, she nearly whined with frustration. Keeping their relationship low-key was going to be the death of her, she was sure. "I should go check with the caterer--"

"The caterer's are the best in the business. I'm sure that they'll be able to handle it without you," Brian returned gently, refusing to let go of her arm as Howie and AJ weaved through the crowd in order to reach the small cluster of adults in the back. Grinning, Brian reached to place a chaste kiss on Natalie's cheek. "I've got to make a small speech before dinner and you're the hostess, so you've got to stay."

"Does the hostess get to steal the guest of honor for a few minutes outside?" Natalie questioned hopefully.

"God, this is pathetic," AJ announced as he flopped down next to Alana. Rolling his eyes at Brian and Natalie, he snorted with disgust. "I think I like it better when they're fucking like it's no tomorrow and don't care who hears them--"

"Yeah, because you're the one with a tape record microphone slipped under the bedroom door," Alana groaned as AJ draped his arm across her bare shoulders, pulling her into his embrace.

"Not their bedroom door," AJ returned in a sing-song voice.

Howie sighed, shaking his head. "I don't even want to know…"

"A few minutes outside in private would be fantastic," Brian murmured toward Natalie, fighting off a heavy blush.

"Have y'all seen Nick?" Alana suddenly inquired, pulling the attention away from Brian and Natalie's torrid love affair.

"He mentioned something about finding the restroom a few minutes ago when he nearly knocked me down," Howie informed her. "I'm sure he'll show up in a few minutes."

"Who's the babe Aar's talking to?" AJ questioned as Natalie moved towards the nearest exit.

"Staci, the tour producer's daughter, who is Aaron's age, so don't even think about it. One piece of jail bait is enough for the year," Alana purred toward AJ, admiring the way Aaron sweetly spoke with the young woman, eliciting several giggles from her as he helped her hold Zachary. He was about as charming as his brother was.

"But she's hot," AJ whined in protest. "It's not fair. The blondes always get the babes – Should I dye my hair?"

"You don't have any hair left to dye," Howie decided, glancing over his shoulder to see Brian tripping out the door.

"Dinner has officially been delayed," Alana announced with a smirk, looking to Howie. "And it couldn't have been for a sweeter reason."

"It's going to be hard on her, having to sneak around like this," Howie murmured thoughtfully. "Maybe I should--"

"When do we eat? I'm starved," Nick announced as he brushed past Howie to reach the couch.

"Dinner's slightly delayed," Alana murmured toward Nick, though she continued to hold Howie's gaze. "I know you want to protect, Natalie, but she knew the consequences when she made her choice. She loves him and she's willing to work on that while he does what he can to get free. It's her relationship. Not hers, yours, and his. Give them space. It'll work out."

"But I was just going to--"

"No."

"But maybe if--"

"No."

"Damnit," Howie hissed. "If we'd treated our label like this so soon after signing, we never would have made it."

"That's because we didn't have balls like Beautiful," Nick declared, pushing AJ to the side so he could take his rightful place beside Alana. Curling his arms around her protectively, he kissed her cheek softly.

"Oh, yeah, now you start coming around kissing on me," Alana groaned, though she comfortably shifted to rest against him. They fit so perfectly together, not to mention looked quite dazzling side by side. Nick had dressed himself in a plain black suit and accentuated the simplicity of the design with a dark sapphire tie. Not really knowing what Nick was wearing to the event, Alana had merely decided on a pair of elegant, wide legged, black pants that would easily hide her immobilizer as well as give the impression that the garment was a skirt. Then, to compliment the pants she chose a simple, backless, sapphire halter top. Aaron had teased the couple earlier that they looked like the full-sized version of Barbie and Ken, but Natalie had cooed over the pleasant surprise. "…Please don't be mad at me, Howie…"

"I'm not mad," Howie promised.

"He's just horny," AJ added, raising his eyebrows when Staci handed Zachary over to Kristin. Seeing Aaron lead her out to the dance floor, he groaned. "Damnit--"

"Staci, tour manager's daughter," Alana quickly informed Nick before he could get a chance to interrogate.

"Cool," Nick murmured, lacing his fingers with hers. Dipping his head to softly brush his lips over her shoulder, he smiled. "Have I told you how gorgeous you are tonight?"

"I don't think those specific words have passed your lips," Alana answered, shivering from the mere brush of his velvet lips against the bare skin of her shoulder. They had never really discussed what would be portrayed about their relationship in the eyes of the public, especially now that Howie and AJ were furiously promoting her wonderful singing talents, but she knew she didn't want to hide away like Natalie and Brian. Not if it could be helped. Especially when Nick kissed her like that.

"Do you know how hard it is for me to keep from taking you home and--"

"Hello, I'm sitting right here!" AJ yelped.

"Why don't you go get Zachie for me, then?" Alana suggested hopefully.

Nick pulled Alana closer as AJ grumbled under his breath. When he vaulted off the couch to go talk with Kevin and Kristin, Nick glanced towards Howie. The man continued to stand there, idly sipping his drink as though he had no worries in the world. "Don't you have anywhere else to be?"

"Why?" Howie questioned in confusion, lifting his brows.

"So I can seduce Beautiful? So by the time dinner's ready she'll be quivering, and wanting only for me to take her home and make love to her endlessly?"

"This is why we were so much better in the earlier years. None of this couples' need for privacy and--" Howie's voice faded to a natural conclusion in his mind as some of the tour producers waved for him to join. Nodding with a custom wave, Howie offered a glorified grin toward Alana and Nick before starting to move. "Don't forget you have a son to take care of, Nicky."

Nick glanced across to see Zachary still sleeping peacefully, nestled on Kevin's shoulder. Giving Howie a grin before turning his attention back to Alana, he once more placed a soft kiss along her collarbone. "…We could holler that there's a fire and have the place to ourselves…"

"As far as I'm concerned, there already is a fire brewing," Alana whispered softly as she tilted her head back to kiss the side of his neck, offering just the softest of nibbles to his skin. She had missed him while he was mingling with his friends and business associates, feeling isolated in the corner in the back of the room.

"As soon as you take your last bite of dessert, we're going home," Nick demanded gently, cupping his hand at the back of her neck to draw her in for a deep kiss. "Zach's sleeping in Brian and Natalie's room. I'm locking our door and we're not setting foot outside until tomorrow morning."

"And why's that?" Alana purred with appreciation as she caught the collar of his dress shirt, pulling him toward her to intensify the kiss, oblivious to the flash of light that surrounded them for a moment.

"Because I'm not letting you out of that bed until we've both screamed ourselves voiceless," Nick growled, forgetting everything around them as his fingers gently dipped beneath the top of her halter top for a soft stroke.

"Handsome," Alana whimpered in soft surprise as the pads of his fingers delicately caressed the curve of her tender breast. She shuddered with delight as she reached to tangle her fingers within his platinum locks, wondering if he knew just how sensitive her breasts were at the current stage of her pregnancy. The impending fullness of their growth had already caused him much surprise.

Nick allowed his hand to slip further beneath her top, until his fingers traced the outline of her nipple. Feeling it pucker in response, he moaned against her tongue, tangling the fingers of his other hand in her hair. "God, Beautiful, I need--"

"To save it for after dessert," she whispered softly inside his mouth, shifting so her long, strawberry blonde curls crashed in a silky curtain over her shoulder to hide the doings of his hand. She was far too aware that they were at a Christian function for Brian. She didn't want to ruin Nick's reputation, nor taint Brian's association. "Because if you could possibly understand how sensitive my breasts are right now… God, Handsome, I love you."

"I love you," Nick murmured, lifting his head to take a cursory glance at their surroundings. Then, grinning, he eased the material of her top down over her breast, dipping his head behind the curtain of her hair. Trailing his tongue in quick circles around her nipple, he drew it between his teeth for a slow, lazy tug.

"Nickalicious," Alana moaned in disbelief, hurriedly flattening a hand against her mouth to muffle whatever further sound were released from his sensual teasing. Her other fingers tightened significantly within his messy locks as if that would stabilize the passion that quickly mounted within her. Biting hard on her bottom lip to keep from crying out, she hoped God would forgive her.

Releasing her nipple, Nick blew cool air on it softly before lifting his head to kiss her again. He nudged her hand away from her mouth, easily sweeping his tongue across her lips to gain entry.

"Can we skip dessert?" Alana inquired hopefully against his mouth as she shifted to wrap her arms around his neck, pulling him over her as their tongues dancing in a sinful motion that she hoped would mirror their bodies later that evening.

"Does that mean I get to eat you?" Nick returned, his hand closing around her bare breast gently.

"I'll get some whip cream and cherries slathered on my body and wish you the best of luck?" she offered, not knowing exactly what he was hoping to do.

"Don't slather your whole body," Nick requested, his knee sliding between her legs. "Just one particular spot…"

"O-Okay," Alana agreed with a docile nod, blushing at the squeak that accentuated her voice.

"God, Beautiful--"

"'Lana! Krissy dancin' with Zachie!" Baylee announced loudly as he suddenly hopped onto the couch next to Alana and Nick. "See?!"

Jerking in surprise at Baylee's invasion of a very private moment, she hurriedly reached to tuck her breast back inside her halter top and push her long locks behind her shoulders. Fighting to control the desire burning in her body, she brushed her fingers idly in Baylee's long locks as she glanced to the dance floor to see what he was speaking about. She couldn't have possibly looked guiltier at that point in time. "I definitely see, Boogie. Kristin's going to want to take Zachie home with her, huh?"

"If she does, I 'nuggle wit' you an' Nicky all night?" Baylee requested as Nick slid away from Alana. Taking the opportunity, Baylee snuggled closer until he was sitting in her lap.

"'Lana! Where Bwi?! He tol' me I have 'resent!" Elizabeth squealed as she climbed up to join Baylee in Alana's lap. "I get my 'resent 'fore we eat?"

"Brian is…" Alana was at a loss as how to explain Brian's sudden absence from his party as she turned to look toward the back door of the reception hall. With utter relief, she noticed Natalie and Brian slipping through the door, though they looked worse for the wear. Slapping her palm to her forehead with a groan as she watched Natalie clumsily try to fix her mussed braid, she reached out to catch Nick's jacket. "Can you please go rescue your best friend? His fly is afraid of heights."

"Huh?" Nick grunted, glancing towards his best friend, who was straightening his tie. Seeing what Alana referred to, he groaned loudly. "Frick! The snake's about to come out of the cage!"

"What snake?" Brian questioned in confusion as he reached to pull the tie from Natalie's hair, helping her unwind the crimped waves of her hair. He had never been pulled outside for a romantic endeavor, nor had he ever been so glad in all his existence that Natalie wasn't wearing underwear. That is, till Nick yanked him backward, seeming to jar him into reality. "There's a snake in here?!"

"For crying out loud," Nick growled, turning in front of Brian so the older man was shielded from view. At his friend's confused expression, he sighed impatiently, reaching to jerk the offending zipper up. "That snake, you dildo--"

Brian paled significantly. "Nick! You said all our experiences during the first tour were just--"

"If we weren’t surrounded by preachers I would so cuss you out right now," Nick muttered, smoothing Brian's shirt before reaching to adjust his tie correctly. "Just, damn… You really shouldn't go around teasing me like that, Frick. Toying with my delicate hormones is just so wrong--"

"Bwi! My 'resent now? P'ease?" Elizabeth chirped, appearing between the two men with a wide grin of hopefulness.

"Bumpkin would be more than happy to get you your 'resents now," Natalie groaned as she pushed Brian and Nick away from one another, having no desire to hear about Brian's confusing past. So, adjusting her dress once more, she carefully fussed with her long locks as she walked toward Alana, gesturing for Brian to hurry.

Elizabeth squealed with excitement, tugging on Brian's hand until he lifted her up into his arms. Wrapping her arms around his neck, she settled happily, though her nose wrinkled slightly. "You smell like Knotty!" she accused.

"Oh God," Natalie sighed as she settled on the couch next to Alana. When Baylee slid down to retrieve Elizabeth's presents, she turned to her friend. "Can you fix my hair really quick?"

"That'll teach you to get frisky at a public Christian event," Alana mused with a small smile as she had Natalie turn. Tilting her head back, Alana quickly went to work at dividing the pieces of hair and weaving them into a tight French braid. She had spent hours at the hospital doing the girls' hair to make them feel better. She would most certainly miss her job at the hospital.

"I'm not even going to ask," AJ declared as he surveyed the scene. Having been informed by Kristin that she could take care of Zachary until Alana wanted him back, he had been at a loss as to what to do, deciding to rejoin his friends in the corner. Brian was swaying Elizabeth to the music, Baylee was bringing a small gift bag to the couch, Nick was gulping down soda, and Alana was braiding Natalie's hair. "All the kinky shit happens when AJ turns his back, huh?"

"Most definitely," Alana promised with a small laugh as she finished Natalie's hair with grace and delicacy. Patting Natalie's back to assure her that it was done, she was surprised when her best friend threw her weight against her for a crushing squeeze. "You're welcome, Allie."

"Thanks," Natalie whispered before pulling away. "Not just for my hair, for… Everything."

"Awe, so sweet," AJ crooned.

"Lizzie! 'Resents!" Baylee cried, tugging on the hem of her skirt. "From me an' Daddy an' Knot!"

"Bwi!" Elizabeth squealed suddenly, wiggling from his arms to get set on the floor. When he complied with her wishes, she immediately launched herself at Baylee with a large hug and kiss. "Thank you, Bay," she crooned, reaching for the bag as Baylee fell to his backside in awe.

"What a woman," Baylee sighed.

"You've got it bad, Snot Face," AJ informed him with a chuckle as Elizabeth moved to Brian, asking him to help her open the presents. Reaching down, he helped the boy to his feet.

"I love her," Baylee announced with a breathy sigh, staring at Elizabeth.

"I think Boogie's going to be getting engaged before any of us," Alana murmured with a small smile as she reached for her crutches. Carefully, she boosted herself from the couch, making sure to keep all the weight off her right leg as Nick glanced toward her. She wouldn't even begin to tell him she had been trying to walk when she was alone. He'd kill her.

"Where you going?" Nick questioned softly as he appeared at her side, one hand moving to rest on the small of her back. Glancing towards Brian and Elizabeth when the girl squealed with excitement over the necklace with a cross pendant made of rubies, he pressed a kiss to Alana's cheek. "Ready to go sit down to eat?"

"Not yet! Brian has to make an announcement and give Elizabeth one more present!" Natalie blurted as she lurched from the couch, reaching for Alana's arm before she could move her crutches forward. Though she offered a hurried apologetic smile when Alana stumbled slightly from the halt in her movements. "Why don't you go to the front where that mini stage is? You're going to want to be there. Right where Kevin and Kris are."
"Okay…" Alana trailed, glancing toward Nick with confusion.

"Come on," Nick murmured, offering her a soft kiss. "The quicker we get dinner over with, the quicker we can go home for… Dessert…"

"Why are you going home for dessert?" Natalie inquired as she motioned for Brian to hurry up to the stage, though she made sure to keep up with Nick and Alana. "I made sure that the caterer's brought the most delicious desserts. Cherry cheesecake for Alana and Ajie. Chocolate cake for Baylee. Vanilla cake with chocolate icing for Elizabeth--"

"We're having a different kind of dessert," Nick interrupted.

"What kind? I can have the caterer's go and get--"

"For God's sake, Nat! We're going home to have sex," Nick hissed with impatience, aware of several pairs of eyes looking their way.

"And pray for our salvation afterwards," Alana groaned as her face turned crimson with embarrassment. Allowing her curls to hang over her face like a curtain of shame, she pulled away from Nick's hold on her and hurried through the small crowd, making sure to disappear behind Kevin as she fussed over Zachary.

Natalie shot Nick a scowl. "Why can't you just take her to the car for a few minutes?"

"'Cause I don't have to. Everyone in this room knows we're together," Nick explained with a shrug as he headed after Alana. "Not like we have to sneak around like she's my mistress."

"No, you just get her knocked up with twins and conveniently keep the engagement ring in the safe because you're a gigantic scaredy-cat!" Natalie burst with disgust, wanting to strike at Nick as hard as she possibly could.

"I'm waiting for the right moment. I'm not leading her along, Nat," Nick promised with sickening sweetness before slipping away to be by Alana's side.

"Are you and Nick getting at each other's throats again?" Brian inquired softly as he scooted Elizabeth and Baylee along to the front of the crowd, glancing up toward Natalie's infuriated facial features. He winced slightly as AJ and Howie passed to wait at the front with Kevin, Kristin, Alana, and Nick. "…What's wrong?"

"Other than the fact he just called me your mistress to my face as well as hinted that you were leading me along? Nothing," Natalie murmured, clasping her hands together behind her back to keep from scratching Nick's eyes out.

"I'll kick his ass later tonight," Brian breathed as he reached to rub his neck, leaning to press a soft kiss to her cheek. "You're not my mistress, Rosie. You're the love of my life. And I'm not leading you on. I just need to get this divorce finalized before I can do anything officially between us. I love you too much to hurt your reputation like that. Nick is just… Nick… Or maybe he's nervous about Alana getting into a singing career. I don't know. I'll talk to him."

"I know. I'm fine," Natalie promised, adjusting the handkerchief that peeked out from his breast pocket. "Now go up there and be the dazzling man I know you are okay?"

"I love you, Natalie," Brian murmured softly as he walked her to the front of the crowd before stepping onto the stage. Smiling toward the entertainment Natalie had booked, he waited for the song to finish before he reached for the nearby microphone. Pulling the cord along, he smiled cheekily and waited for the applause to die down. "I'd like to thank y'all for coming to this pre-release party. It was quite the surprise when I walked in here tonight and found out Natalie had done all of this for me. It's just… Absolutely beautiful… Thank you so much. Everyone."

Natalie fell into the applause with everyone else, glancing up when she felt a gentle hand on her shoulder. Seeing Howie's understanding expression, she smiled slightly, giving him a gentle nod. "Have you told 'Lana about Brian's offer yet?"

"I haven't had a chance to," Howie murmured as Brian continued to speak to the crowd. "Besides, Brian wants to tell her himself. He's got the single that we recorded and--"

"Since this room is filled with a variety of people in the music business, I really wanted to be the first to help my friends launch a fresh face into the industry. I've been very privileged to get my hands on the first copy of her single and I'd like to share it all with you. And, afterwards, I'm hoping that she'll agree to go on tour with me and be my opening act--"

"What is he doing?" Alana yelped as she glanced toward Howie as the introduction to her single began to play.

"Howie, you know I love you to death," Natalie murmured, giving his hand a gentle squeeze. "And I really would never wish you harm, but… You might want to run now."

"Why?" Howie blanked.

"Because even though she's on crutches, 'Lana can still outrun you?"

"Why would she--"

"Howie!" Alana groaned in disbelief as her voice began to filter through the speakers of the recreation hall, causing her stomach to churn with fear. She turned away from Kristin's shoulder with every intention of throwing a crutch toward Howie, but Nick's arms looped around her waist to pull her up, causing her crutches to clatter to the floor. "Nick! They can't--"

"Shh," Nick soothed in her ear, holding her to him. "Everyone's enjoying it, see? They love it."

"Howie said that the first recording wasn't going to be the final recording. That we'd work on it when we got to California. I hardly sound good enough in front of all these music producers and why is Brian inviting me on tour with him? Nick, I don't understand," Alana fought to explain as she kept off her bad leg as she was turned in his arms, vaguely aware of Elizabeth squealing excited toward Baylee about hearing Alana's beautiful voice. It just made her nauseous as she glanced around at all the suits. She was going to be laughed out of the hall.

"Beautiful, look," Nick murmured, smoothing her hair gently as he swayed with her to the beat of her song. Tucking her hair behind her ears so she could glance around at everyone, he hoped she noticed the looks of approval. He felt an overwhelming sense of pride suddenly as he kissed the top of her head. "They love you. Come on, give'em a smile so they won't think that Howie and AJ tied you down and forced you to sing?"

Alana mustered a nervous smile as their friends began to collect around them, each taking turns in bringing her to their arms for a comfortable squeeze. She had to stifle a few tears of surprise as each murmured how beautiful she sounded and a roar of applause exploded when the song finished. Turning, Alana found herself in Nick's arms once more as he carried her toward the stage. "Nick!"
"The future artist that you're all going to be paying Howie and AJ big bucks to sign, lease, and deal with - Alana Moore!" Brian announced loudly.

Squeezing Howie's hand to help alleviate the nervousness she felt over Alana's frightened expression, Natalie beamed as everyone in the continued to applaud her best friend's talent. "…She really needs to work on the deer-in-the-headlights look…"

"We'll just have to keep shoving her out in the spotlight till she gets used to it…" AJ rasped from Howie's side, whistling loudly for Alana.

"We can't shove her," Howie disagreed. "We have to get her used to it slowly. Little shows, get-togethers… Brian's tour…"

"Red carpet to some movie preview or something would be good," Natalie suggested.

"We need to get her on Leno…" AJ trailed.

"No, do daytime. More people will see her. Housewives, babysitters. We want to appeal to women, too, not just lonely men," Howie argued. "Regis and Kelly?"

"Too stupid," Natalie sighed. "If you want to get the housewife and babysitter factor, go for The View. And the Today Show has their summer concert series coming… I'll make calls in the morning."

"That’s what we pay you for, Nattie," Howie cooed, pulling her into a gentle hug.

"Among other things…" AJ muttered, only to receive a sharp elbow. "Like style, class, personality, and that warm effect you bring to the rest of the group!"

"I love you too, Ajie," Natalie crooned. Glancing towards the head caterer, she gave a gentle nod. "Let's eat--"

"Gotta pray first, Knot!" Baylee interrupted with a stern glare.

"Good God," AJ sighed, rubbing his stomach hungrily.

"Alana? Will you do the honors?" Brian requested, holding the microphone out to her.

"Pray?" Alana repeated in surprise as she took the microphone into her hands, stunned by Brian's gentle nod before he bowed his head. She had never been one for prayer since Colton had died. That moment that the doctor had announced what she feared most about her child's condition; she had turned her back on God. He had betrayed her love for Him. Had gave her pain instead of the love and hope that He promised. But, deciding to just follow through, she bowed her head. "Dear Lord…"

*~*~*

Andre was a consummate professional. Natalie had known him for years, having met him the day she met Brian. He was always polite, unassuming, was able to get everyone to relax and have fun, and most importantly, had never lost his temper when working with the Backstreet Boys. Though, as she laid out the possible wardrobe for Alana on the bed, that might change within the next few moments as Nick continually nixed each idea the photographer had.

"You want her to lay in a bed?!"

"Nicky," Natalie chided, pulling him away from Andre, hoping the whine in his voice would not carry to the bathroom, where Alana was having her hair and makeup finished. "Andre knows what he's doing. The name of the song is I'm Not Sleeping Alone. Do you expect her to be dressed up in a business suit and looking stiff and formal at a desk?"

"Yes! I want her dressed in a business suit with those big shoulder pads and absolutely no figure whatsoever!" Nick exclaimed as he stared at the selections on the fluffy, king-sized bed Alana would be sprawled across for the entire world. First Natalie had wanted her in a camisole and a pair of boxer shorts. Then it turned to a dainty nightgown. Then there was the boy-cut underwear. He couldn't believe that Natalie would actually compromise Alana's integrity with such a smutty shoot. It made his blood boil as he glanced to the nearby bathroom, suddenly wondering what the stylists were doing to his beautiful woman. "Hell, she could make a statement against Afghanistan and wear one of those black drab, pieces of shit--"

"Oh, grow up," Natalie muttered. "She's going to be covered, okay?"

"With what? A sheet?!" Nick screeched.

"I think that would have been a fantastic spread for her single," Andre announced as he finished speaking with his assistant who was continuing to fix the lighting around the creamy white bed. Turning to prepare his cameras, he glanced over at Nick, obviously bewildered at Nick's sudden streak of modesty.

"What's wrong with the sheet, Nicky?" Natalie questioned softly. "Is it because she's taking the pictures in your bed? The fact that she's going to look gorgeous? Or is it because you can't stand the idea of other men admiring her beauty from the cover of a CD single?"

"Kiss my ass, Natalie," Nick grumbled, pushing himself off the wall, not even wanting to take the breath to explain to Natalie what was wrong. He just wanted this stupid photoshoot over with. That way, he could concentrate on getting her and Zachary ready for the flight tomorrow. Then, after a few hours on a plane, he'd be able to whisk his family away to their private home. Away from all this publicity Howie and AJ were starting to stir for Alana. Not even bothering to mention that Nick was dating her.

"Nicky?" Natalie murmured, holding one of his dress shirts to her chest. When he turned to give her a glare, she smiled slightly. "You know this is good for her, don't you? This pampering, this spotlight… It's good for her." Holding up the shirt, she offered him a hopeful look. "How about this? With a bra. Minimal cleavage? It's yours. It even smells like you, which'll comfort her--"

"Brand my name on it and we'll talk--"

"Why don't we just get a tattoo on her forehead?" Natalie suggested with a scowl. "Seriously, Nick. Did any one of your many girlfriends whine when you had to do a provocative photoshoot?"

Nick's dark ocean eyes widened in shock. "I didn't have many girlfriends--"

"Did Kristin bitch when y'all posed in a room full of naked women? Did Sarah get overprotective and mouthy when AJ did half-naked shots on top of a car? Did I blow my top when Brian had to pose with those models last summer? And not once did I hear you bitch and moan over the fact that Paris flashed her twat to everyone--"

"Are you two fighting already?" Alana sighed as she appeared from the bathroom in Nick's soft oversized robe. She carefully crutched into the room as the stylists followed to get Andre's approval on her look. Her immobilizer had been removed for the shoot, so she became overly conscious of guarding the injured thigh. But, when she glanced up, she noticed Andre, Natalie, and Nick staring intently at her. Immediately, she flushed with embarrassment as she reached to gingerly touch the loose strawberry blonde curls that the stylist had played with to create a soft bed-head look. Her makeup was light and airy, her lips glossed into a shimmer to match the natural tones of the eye-shadow. She was gorgeous. "What?"

"You look like you just climbed out of the bed after hours of sex," Nick breathed.

"Perfect!" Andre and Natalie cried in unison.

"So… What am I wearing?" Alana questioned as she shifted uncomfortably against her crutches, peeking beneath the robe she wore for a moment. "'Cause if it's what's underneath here, y'all can kiss my ass."

"You're wearing this," Andre decided, plucking the shirt from Natalie's hands. "Slip this on and we'll see how it looks?"

"Tell her she's beautiful and you love her and support her," Natalie whispered to Nick as he continued to gape at Alana. Giving him a gentle shove, she went to answer the ringing phone.

Murmuring a soft thanks to Andre and hearing Howie's voice filter through the speaker phone, Alana shifted to enter the bathroom once more. Propping her crutches against the wall, she then leaned against the large sink counter to undo the sash of Nick's robe. Carefully peeling it away from her body, she adjusted her bikini briefs against her hips before taking the button down business shirt into her hands. Studying the white fabric with navy pinstripes, she held it to her face for a soft breath, comforted by the scent of Nick's cologne.

"Beautiful?" Nick murmured from the doorway, tapping the doorframe lightly as he peered inside. "Is it alright if I come in?"

"Yeah, c'mon in," Alana invited as she carefully draped the shirt around her shoulders to slip it on. Bringing both sides of the front to meet in the center of her body, she slowly began to button it.

Hearing Howie loudly demand photos, Nick stepped into the bathroom, pushing the door shut behind him. "You're gorgeous--"

"The stylists are miracle workers," Alana confided with a small smile as she buttoned all the way to the collar, only to have Nick turn her gently to start undoing them. "Handsome…"

"Can you give the men of the world just a hint of what I get access to daily?" Nick requested softly, dipping his head to softly kiss the skin he exposed.

"Handsome," Alana murmured with a soft shiver as the gentleness of his lips flattered her skin, especially as they dipped against the crevice of her breasts. He had been less than enthused with the prospect of her photoshoot that day. He had actually tried to call off the entire event, telling Andre that she was in far too much pain to become his muse. And, when the stylists had been working on her, she had overheard the conversation in the bedroom. He had fought against everything - location, wardrobe, makeup, poses, not to mention her lack of brace on her injured leg. She wasn't naïve about his disapproval, though she wasn't sure why he was so against it. "I thought you didn't want me showing off my body? I mean, I'm not even wearing a--"

"It's good for your career," Nick interrupted softly, popping one button free so he could enjoy the taste of her skin. "As long as I know I'm the only one who sees what's under that shirt--"

"But I thought it was about my voice, not my assets," easing herself onto the sink counter as she gently rubbed the back of his neck.

Nick moaned softly, pulling the shirt open slightly. Licking his lips as her nipples hardened under his gaze, he leaned closer, nipping at her skin gently. "Damn, I--"

"'Lana? Howie wants to talk to you," Natalie announced from outside the door.

"Time to work," Alana disrupted with a disheartened sigh, easing Nick away from her body. Hurriedly securing the buttons on the business shirt once more, she eased off the counter and reached for her crutches. Fumbling slightly with the door, she managed to break free and found Natalie grinning knowingly toward her. Unable to hide the blush, Alana reached to pull at the hem of Nick's shirt. "Where's the phone?"

"Just talk, he's on speaker," Natalie informed her, glancing at Nick as he leaned against the counter with a heavy groan. "Go get on the bed--"

"What's taking so long?" Howie's voice demanded in a gentle tone.

"I'm on crutches and can't speed?" Alana answered, her tone far too guilty as she moved toward Andre for his approval. She seemed to blush harder as he fussed with the shirt, fixing the collar so part was cuffed, then moving to unbutton several of the buttons. "And your photographer is unbuttoning me…"

"Andre knows what he's doing, Sweetie," Howie promised. "We just got off the plane, on our way to – Nat, the wireless is working, so send me pictures as you get them."

"Yes, sir," Natalie intoned, rolling her eyes toward Alana.

"What wardrobe did we go with?" Howie questioned.

"One of Nick's striped button down shirts--"

"What happened to the sheet?"

Natalie sighed, perching on the armchair to speak directly into the phone. "There were unforeseen problems with the sheet."

"Such as?"

"Nick."

Howie released a hard sigh of annoyance. "Didn't we already say that he shouldn't be at the shoot for today? I knew he wouldn't be handling this well at all. He's so… Spoiled…"

"He is also Alana's one and only love, Howie," Andre commented as Alana got onto the bed. Once she was leaning against the headboard, he fussed slightly with her hair, the sheets, until she was positioned just so. Moving to the camera, he took a rapid sequence of test shots, nodding to himself. "If he is not pleased, she will not be pleased. And she has been a gem so far on this shoot. I want it to remain that way."

Natalie thanked God for Andre's calming presence. "Did you catch all that, Howie?"

"I think I got the gist…" Howie murmured. "Does Nick approve of what we're doing now? Where is he?"

"Nick seems to approve," Natalie assured him. "…And I think he's in the bathroom, waiting for his raging hard-on to ease up--"

"Allie!" Alana groaned as she wrinkled her nose in distaste, reaching to bring the sheets up to hide her face for a moment. But Andre merely chuckled as he took several photographs of her adorable humiliation, seeming to be inspired by her reserved nature. "I'm just wearing what y'all told me to wear and I let the stylists fuss with me like you asked. Ain't my fault that it was like some kind of crazy plastic surgery."

"Did you have a good flight?" Natalie asked Howie as Nick came from the bathroom to lean against the wall. His eyes never left Alana's figure, smiling at her embarrassment.

"AJ in a confined place is never a good flight," Howie murmured, seemingly shuddering at the remembrance of the flight. "Now he's all anxious to get the recording studio up to…what did he call it… Seduction City… Before Alana comes to Cali."

"Seduction City?" Natalie repeated with a squeak. "Just what do you two plan on doing in that studio? Do I need to wear my chastity belt--"

"You've been declared off limits, Nattie, so I doubt you have to worry," Howie chuckled as AJ hollered something about Alana being the prime target.

"Hear that, 'Lana? We can wear bikinis to the studio every day," Natalie cooed with excitement as she sent the first batch of pictures to Howie's email.

Nick growled in annoyance, folding his arms across his chest. He was just going to hold his tongue. He didn't want to become a jealous boyfriend - Well, not more than he already was. He trusted Alana. He trusted Howie and Natalie to take care of her. He--

"Andre, can we unbutton two more buttons? Show some of that gorgeous cleavage she has off?" AJ questioned suddenly, having wrenched the phone from Howie's grasp.

"And if all else fails with this single, we can just shift my career to the pornography business?" Alana guessed, though she undid one more button when Andre nodded at her. She then followed his directions in bringing her good leg up to hold against her chest, draping the sheet across her lap, though the length of her good leg was left seductively bare - the caramel of her skin significantly contrasting with the white of the sheet. Tilting her head ever so slightly, she offered the smallest of smiles, causing Andre to whoop with pleasure as he hurriedly snapped the pose.

"That's it!" Natalie squealed suddenly when the photo showed up on the computer screen. Scrambling to send it to Howie, she squealed again. "Howie, tell me what you think of this one, I think this is it!"

"Do you keep shooting even though they think they have the one photograph?" Alana inquired as she reached for one of the pillows, laying it toward the end of the bed. She then sprawled across the bed with the pillowed tucked underneath her. Allowing her curls to fall over her shoulders, she continued to smile sweetly toward Andre as he seemed to gather profound inspiration, continuing to photograph her though Natalie insisted she had found the ultimate photograph. "…Do you get a lot of dirt when you do their photoshoots?"

"Yes and yes," Andre answered, pausing his shots for a moment. "That one," he declared, motioning towards Nick distractedly, "I learned he lost his virginity at fifteen--"

"Andre," Nick groaned, clapping a hand over his eyes.

"And Alex? He has all the grace of a half dead snake," Andre decided with a shrug, ignoring AJ's yelp of disgust from the speakerphone. "He wanted me to let him take some shots of the other men for his photo album. Wanted to stand on a ladder and take them from above. Managed to sprain his ankle, ruin my camera and set fire to the backdrop when the light exploded from his fall--"

"You make it sound like it was the end of the world! It was a minor sprain! I replaced the camera! And it was a tiny fire!" AJ immediately defended with a raspy screech of annoyance.

"Can I keep you forever?" Alana inquired of Andre with a small smile as she turned onto her back as he stepped onto the bed and over her. Holding her arms above her head, she continued to play up to his camera, deciding to keep the wide grin plastered on the man's face.

"Always," Andre promised. "Would you like to hear some dirt on the others?"

"Brian!" Natalie yelped suddenly. "Ask for dirt on Brian, 'Lana?"

"Apparently I want to hear dirt on Brian," Alana told Andre with an impish grin, threading her fingers sensually through her long curls as Andre had suggested.

"Something good," Natalie suggested with a giggle as AJ continued to defend himself over the phone. "Ajie, shush, or I'm hanging up."

"Let's see…" Andre trailed thoughtfully. "There was the time he was telling the others that he called out the wrong name during lovemaking… Or the time he was chatting with one of my assistants and--"

"What name did he call out?" Natalie interrupted, unaware of the man in question's presence in the doorway.

"Yours," Brian answered for Andre as the man hopped off the bed and requested for Alana to just start having some fun as his assistant put on some music. He had to chuckle as Natalie jerked and knocked the phone from the stand, disconnecting the call from Howie. She always seemed to get caught at the end of her schemes.

"Mine?" Natalie squeaked. "With who?"

"Leighanne," he confided as he leaned to kiss her softly. He had decided to stop in on the photoshoot to see how it was going, knowing Nick was having undesirable suspicions. Not to mention he knew that Natalie would be there to encourage Alana. He had dropped both of the children off at his mother's while doing some publicity for his newly released album in town. He had just enough time to get home, having to admit that the photoshoot was going quite well. Andre seemed entranced by Alana as she playfully danced on the bed, swaying her hips to the beat of the song, her smile infectious.

"And she didn't kill you?" Nick questioned with a snort, eyes widening when Alana bounced on the bed before falling to her backside with a peal of laughter. "Beautiful--"

"She is probably one of the most gorgeous yet adorable women that I have ever had the pleasure of photographing," Andre mused as he zoomed up close on Alana's face as she laughed, absolutely charmed by the expression. Though, he was vaguely aware of Nick's calling, glancing back for a moment before Alana moved to sit on the side of the bed, getting several shots of her thoughtful expression. "He calls you Beautiful? He never had nicknames for his other girlfriends--"

"Though everybody else did," Natalie finished with an innocent smile as she stooped to pick up the phone. Immediately wishing she hadn't when, as she placed it on the table, it began to ring.

"I wouldn't pick that up," Brian suggested with a shudder, already knowing what awaited her.

"Just tell Howie he has plenty of pictures to choose from and if Andre's lucky, we'll get some artistic nudes," Alana explained as she lay on the bed, rolling to her stomach. Holding her hand up lightly with her hands, elbows propped in the mattress, she crossed her legs and brought them up till they almost touched the top of her head, giving Andre a playful wink. "And that one's special for him!"

"Beautiful, do you really think you should be--"

"Howie? Alana said to get off her ass, she's taking pictures," Natalie recited through the receiver. "What? …Well really, there's no need to be rude…" Listening for a moment, she sent the next batch of photos through, smiling pleasantly when she received his ecstatic reactions. "And I'll call you later tonight so we can talk privately--"

"Talk privately about what?" Brian immediately accused.

"Do you want more dirt on Nick?" Andre suddenly invited as he cast Nick a chiding glance, telling him to relax.

"Is it going to help me win an argument?" Alana inquired as she moved to sit, shifting so she could rub her right thigh to ward off the pain and Nick's accusing eyes.

"Our plans for Alana when we get out to Cali," Natalie informed Brian with a raised brow. "Alright, Howie, I'll - What? …Jean cutoffs and a sports bra…"

"I can give you dirt on Brian at the same time," Andre decided with a smile. It was a rare occasion he had the chance to torment the men. "I caught them in a passionate embrace during their first tour in Germany--"

"For the last time! I had an eyelash in my eye!" Nick yelped.

"A passionate embrace?" Alana breathed with the remnants of an impish smile, just sitting in the center of the bed, not knowing how else to pose. So, she glanced over to Brian, watching him wrestle Natalie for the phone with threats of killing Howie, and then to her lover who was desperately trying to explain the events. "…I knew it… I bet he was talking about it for weeks. He's always had a really soft… Well hard… Spot for Brian…"

"Three weeks, okay?" Nick relented, cheeks flushed furiously with embarrassment as he flopped onto the foot of the bed, ignoring Andre's whine of displeasure. "We were young, halfway around the world, and we never did anything but a few sloppy kisses and maybe a few handjobs--"

"What?!" Natalie squeaked, dropping the phone to the floor.

"…Please tell me you're kidding…" Alana whispered, her breath catching in her throat as her jaw dropped ajar.

"Great!" Brian breathed as he hurriedly searched for the phone cord, yanking it from the wall so Howie couldn't call back. Holding it up like a prized catch, he glanced over to the others' looks of panic. "What?!"

"You… And… Nick?" Natalie breathed in shock.

"Me and Nick what?" Brian asked, wrinkling his brow in confusion.

"Germany, Brian?" Nick offered to jar his memory. Looking towards Alana, he opened his mouth to explain how young and stupid he had been.

"If you honest to God gave Nick a hand-job then I am so allowed to fondle 'Lana!" Natalie accused.

"NICK!"

"Andre blurted!" Nick squealed.

"I told nothing more than a passionate embrace," Andre defended, moving to the computer to review all the photos.

"'Lana? Want to go to the bathroom with me?" Natalie offered with an impish smirk.

"I was kind of hoping to sweet-talk Andre into taking some photos of me and Nick, but I think the shoot's over and I can definitely meet you in the bathroom," Alana agreed, moving to slide off the bed. Glancing around, she noticed that her crutches were on the far side of the room. Shrugging, she tugged on the hem of the shirt and started to profoundly limp in Natalie's direction.

"Alana!" Nick cried.

"What?" she groaned, holding a hand to her right leg as it stabbed with severe pain, glancing hopefully toward Natalie that she might retrieve the crutches.

"You want to take some pictures of us?" Nick questioned hopefully, sitting up and patting the mattress invitingly. It took all he had to keep from diving across the room and scooping her up. He knew that would only irritate her.

"Andre's done shooting," Alana explained, glancing sideways to see Natalie catch Brian by the ear and forcibly yank him from the bedroom.

"Oh…" Nick trailed with a sigh. "I'm sorry, Beautiful. I always fuck things up--"

"I think I can save you from this one, Nick," Andre interrupted as he finished uploading Alana's photographs to his powerful laptop, also making sure to make a CD copy for Alana to keep. Turning from the desk, he reached for his camera once more, gesturing toward Alana. "She looks so cute today, I'm sure you want to remember this. Not to mention if I do this for you, then I get the opportunity to be her personal photographer forever."

Nick smiled, silently thanking the photographer. "Please, Beautiful?"

"These aren't going to end up in Photobucket or Imageshack or anything are they? 'Cause I'm pretty much in my underwear and I'm pretty sure that I'll have voodoo dolls sculpted in my honor by your fans," Alana sighed, unable to resist Nick's encouraging smile. Turning, she carefully limped back over to the bed, knowing Nick was right about tending to her leg, but not wanting to admit such.

"These are going on a CD just for you two," Andre promised as Nick helped Alana into the bed. Smiling at the image they made, Alana resting between Nick's bent knees as he leaned against the headboard, arms wrapped protectively around her, he zoomed in to catch the pure love evident on their faces. "Though I must insist I get one to frame and keep at home."

"For Andre? We'd give you the world," Nick promised as he rested his chin on top of Alana's head for another photograph. "We'll even give you the first shoot with the twins."

"As long as AJ isn't around climbing on ladders," Andre agreed, smiling when Alana leaned back, nestling her head against Nick's shoulder. Two sets of hands rested on her lower abdomen, and when Nick looked down with adoration and awe, he snapped several photos to capture the moment. "Now that… That is love."