- Text Size +
Chapter Thirty-Nine :: Defying Odds

"I've got to say, I'm a lot calmer when we just charter private planes to take us where we need to go. No crowds. No fans. No Nick scaring the living daylights out of me. No chance in terrorists hijacking us," Brian murmured appreciatively as he sat on the long couch facing away from the windows, watching his son play in the center of the plane as Natalie snuggled against him. He was suddenly grateful that Alana had requested a day alone with Nick before her new career began, because that meant he had longer with Natalie. And the plane ride over to California with just the small family he loved and cared for was undoubtedly far more enjoyable. He wouldn't be able to spend as much time with Natalie once he reached California. He would have promotions for his new CD as well as helping Alana prepare for the tour. Then Natalie would be in charge of helping Alana prepare for the prestige of being famous. They would be separated for the most part while attempting to reach the same goal. "We're going to have to make a pact to at least have dinner together every night. No matter how late."

"Just the three of us?" Natalie requested softly, glancing up from the needlepoint she was working on. Pushing the reading glasses up onto her head so she could look over at Baylee, she smiled, knowing he was lost in his own world as he played with his Thomas the Tank Engine trains. Alana had bought him a complete set before she, Nick and Zachary left for California, knowing it would keep him occupied on the flight. "And I agree with you on the private plane thoughts… Chartering a plane is the bomb--"

Brian seemed to pale. "Don't say bomb on a plane…"

"Fine… I brought my old teddy bear with me. You remember him, don't you? Say 'Hi, Jack'--"

"You're not funny."

Natalie wrinkled her nose, turning her attention back to her needlepoint. "We could always slip into the back and join the Mile High Club? That should relieve your stress?"

Brian offered a small grin as he leaned over to kiss her softly. "I would really--"
"Knot! C'I see your teddy bear?" Baylee interjected suddenly as he pulled away from his fascinating world of Thomas the Tank Engine. Crawling over toward the couch, he reached for his father's jeans to help pull him up. His sapphire eyes burning brightly as he took Natalie's craft and set it to the floor, replacing it with himself in her lap. "I be careful with him. Love'em and kiss'em and say Hi Jack!"

Giggling, Natalie embraced Baylee tightly, showering his face with kisses before reaching for her backpack. "You have to be really careful, Bay, 'cause Jack's old. He's almost as old as your Daddy--"

"Wow," Baylee breathed in awe. "Jack's old!"

"Hey!" Brian exclaimed in hurt, reaching to tickle his only son. "What's that say about me, huh?!"

"That you're old, Daddy!" Baylee squealed.

"Daddy's in his prime," Natalie argued, pulling a worn brown teddy bear from her backpack. Smoothing the front of his now-flattened belly, she smiled wistfully, one finger reaching to gently rub the faded green ribbon around his neck. "Your Daddy gave me Jack a long time ago, Bay. We were in Sweden, and I was homesick something awful, and your Daddy gave Jack to me so I wouldn't be afraid anymore…"

"Daddy gave me Georgie when I got sick," Baylee breathed in awe as he reached to gently pat the bear's head in a soothing manner. He had a small grin form on his face as he leaned to kiss the teddy bear's nose. "Daddy is'a good Daddy, Knot. Him's love us b'ery much."

"Till the end of time," Brian promised as he kissed each of them.

"So… We family?" Baylee asked.

"We're family," Natalie assured him softly, sliding one arm around Brian to keep him close.

"Daddy? I call Knot Mommy now?" Baylee requested. "Her's always d'ere when I need a Mommy…"

"I…" Brian was at a loss for words as Baylee slid into his lap, imploringly gazing at him for an answer. When Baylee had been born, Brian had hoped that Leighanne would be a caring and loving mother to him. That all the arguments they had about children were simply foolish mistakes. That she would accept the role whole heartedly. But, his dream had merely been a façade. It had broken his heart to see Baylee motherless. Though, when Natalie had first met him, he realized, Baylee really hadn't been motherless. Natalie had been the mother he always needed. But it was Natalie's choice on what she wanted to be called. "…Scooper, I can't make that decision…"

"My Mommy no love me, Daddy. Knot love me. Please? Knot my Mommy?"

"You want me to be your Mommy, Bay?" Natalie whispered, fighting tears as she clutched Jack tightly. When Baylee nodded vigorously, she scooped him into her arms, pressing her face against his small shoulder as a sob escaped her. She had always longed to be called his mother, from the first moment she had held him in her arms. "I'll be your Mommy, Sweetheart. You just have to tell me once in a while that I'm doing a good job, okay?"

"Don't cry," Baylee soothed as he gently played with her cinnamon locks. "You's a good Mommy for me. You do a fab'u'wous job."

"I love you, Baylee," Natalie murmured, blowing a soft raspberry against his cheek. "Sometimes more than I love your Daddy," she added in a whisper, lightly tickling his sides as he giggled.

"I love you, too, Mommy," Baylee giggled.
"Oh, I see how it is… Date the Daddy to get to the son…" Brian huffed, pulling away from the sweetness of the moment.

"I would date you even if you didn't have a son," Natalie promised with a soft coo, pulling him back so they could kiss above Baylee's head. "Though, having a son did help you out--”

"Yeah, Daddy, I was the sweetest'ed icing on your stale cake!" Baylee giggled with triumph as he leaned back to watch his father tenderly kiss Natalie.

"Your Daddy's stale now?" Natalie questioned with a laugh as Baylee slid to the floor to return to his trains. When he glanced back and offered an innocent grin, she laughed harder, reaching to retrieve her needlepoint. "Maybe I should turn you in for a newer model, Bumpkin--"

"And how exactly are you going to do that?" Brian inquired, taking a pillow to toss lightly at his son. When Baylee grunted and tipped forward, Brian grinned with success, leaning back to continue to thumb through various documents and songs he was preparing for when Alana started to rehearse.

"Well, Ajie's younger than you…" Natalie trailed thoughtfully, tucking her feet in his lap when he snorted. Finding where she had left off on the canvas, she pushed her glasses down once more, suddenly absorbed in her work. "Maybe I can pull his affections away from 'Lana…"

"You want to trade me for AJ?!"

"Do you seriously think that I would, even for a moment, consider trading you at all? Least of all for a man like that--"

"If you trade me, then I'm taking 'Lana!"

"Nick already has her--"

"Nick can't go on the entire tour. There is opportunity and I am far less of a threat than AJ. Nick trusts me around her."

"So while you're shimmying up to 'Lana, I'll go give Ajie an offer he can't refuse?"

"Natalie," Brian whined as he leaned to bury her face within the crook of her neck, shuddering at the mere thought of her being that close to AJ, much less offering him such a taste. "I only want you. I have only ever wanted you. And I will continue to only want you."

"Awe, Bumpkin," Natalie whispered, tossing her needlepoint aside so she could wrap her arms around him. "I love you so much--"

"Daddy, you and Mommy join the High Mile C'ub?" Baylee questioned suddenly.

"Not with you in the plane," Brian groaned against Natalie's lips.

"Why?" Baylee persisted. "I 'tay quiet!"

"But she won't," Brian chuckled, gently sweeping his tongue against hers in soft, steady strokes.

"I can keep quiet," Natalie defended, drawing his tongue into her mouth for a gentle suck.

"Put a muzzle on'er? Like Tyke?"

"That's more like something your Uncle JJ would do, Scooper..." Brian mumbled, his words muffled by her sweet sucking. Reaching to draw his arms about her, he let them run upward to tangle in her loose locks, enabling him to hold control over the strength of their kisses. Allowing her to come closer, he breathed in her scent, sighing. "I'm much gentler. I'd rather help her be quiet with kisses… And tender touches… And words that make her shiver…"

"Good God," Natalie breathed softly against his lips, tingling from just his words. With trembling fingers she clutched the front of his shirt, drawing back slightly so she could look into his eyes. "What are you doing?"

"Making me sick," Baylee muttered to the teddy bear he had stolen from Natalie's lap.

"Actually, I was loving you," Brian answered, butting his foot into Baylee's backside to quiet him.

"I know that," Natalie whispered. "But--"

"No," Brian disagreed, leaning forward to kiss her softly. "There are no buts, I'm loving you in the purest most romantic way that I possibly can."

Natalie trembled in his arms, nodding slightly as she returned his kiss. "You know we're not going to be able to love like this so much when the tour starts, right?"

"That's why we have to cherish the present, isn't that what you always told me?"

"Mm-hmm… And now I'm telling you that I need to go to the bathroom--"

"You have such a knack for soiling the moment," Brian groaned playfully as he kissed her once more before helping her off the couch with two hands.

"And if I told you I need help in the bathroom?" Natalie murmured, squeezing his hands slightly as she offered him a coy smile.

"She ain't got nothing to help hold, Daddy!" Baylee exclaimed, turning around to watch the adults in confusion.

"Baylee," Natalie groaned, shaking her head ruefully. Leaning up to kiss Brian's cheek, she playfully tousled his hair before nudging him back onto the couch. "When we land and he's wrapped up in 'Lana loving, I'm taking you to the closest closet and raping you," she hissed in his ear before turning to go to the bathroom.

*~*~*

"I still can't believe you just dragged him into the bathroom of a crowded airport…"

Natalie whined softly as Howie continued to mutter over her actions at the airport, turning away from the man so she could focus on Alana. Smiling as the makeup artist applied a matte gloss to her friend's full lips, she managed to tune out Howie's diatribe, idly tapping the stylus to her PDA against her bare knee. Alana wore a robe, but Natalie knew that beneath it was a red string bikini, the top shirred tightly against her breasts. She was gorgeous, and Natalie knew that her nerves were still askew from the interview that morning. "You look great, 'Lana."

"I don't care what y'all say, I ain't never going to get used to have a hundred pounds of goo on my face and twice as much insect repellant in my hair," Alana mumbled with a nervous smile, sitting back to allow the makeup artist a still palate in which to create a masterpiece, even if the hair stylist was tugging and ripping at her long strawberry blonde locks as if she were an inanimate china doll. It seemed as if she had been sitting in the chair for several hours as the backgrounds and equipment were set up in the studio for the photoshoot. She had just come down from several grueling hours of questioning. She hadn't realized how personal the media insisted on getting, wanting every sordid detail of her life. Past, present, and future. And, reflecting back, she was positive that she had answered wrong.

"Trust me, after the second or third one, you won't even notice it," Natalie promised softly. "And it's not insect repellant, it's just a little gel to make your hair look like you just stepped out of the ocean. When the photographer gets here and starts setting up the shots, you'll be sprayed with some oil--"

"Sprayed with oil?" Alana interrupted in question, looking at Natalie's reflection in the large mirror to evaluate the seriousness of her facial expressions. "Like I'm some butterball turkey?"

"To make your skin look wet," Natalie explained, wincing when the door to the studio crashed open. "God, if I didn't know better, I'd swear that was Flavio… He always crashed into the shoot."

"Flavio? The ex-boyfriend? I thought he did photography for Playboy?" Alana murmured as she shut her eyes on the command of the makeup artist, wanting to add some dark eyeliner as well as coal colored eye-shadow to make the essence of her large turquoise eyes burst with expression. "…I wish Nick was here…"

Natalie nodded sympathetically, wishing Brian had been able to join them for the afternoon. "He used to… Now he does free-lance work for magazines and print ads--"

"And you've been keeping up with his career?" Howie questioned. "How sweet--"

"Don't tell Brian," Natalie threatened with a hiss as the hair stylist finished with the final preparations to Alana's locks, walking out from behind the concealed area where Alana would change so she could speak to the photographer for a moment.

"And get sucker punched for being the messenger? Hell no," Howie decided. "If Fabio--"

"Flavio."

"If Flavio walked in here right now and you greeted him with a tonsil tickling kiss, I wouldn't even think of mentioning it to my dearest and closest friend," Howie assured her with a smile.

"Still pining away for the lost lover, Natalie?" a husky Italian accent announced as a new face appeared amongst the fluttering curtains of the dressing room. A broad smile flooded an olive skinned face as thick ebony locks fell toward his sage eyes, hiding the full eyebrows and accentuating the sharp angular features of his face. Stepping inside, Alana's eyes widened to see the man dressed in a dressed down Armani style. He was tall and lithe, perhaps almost graceful, and far too gorgeous for the male species. "Where's this kiss?"

"Flavio!" Natalie squeaked in surprise, her PDA sliding from her hand to land atop her purse with a slight thump. Even though it had been nearly three years since she had seen him last, he looked the same. The smile that tugged at his lips was so familiar, and before she could think of a reason not to she was on her feet to embrace him.

"Good fucking God," Alana breathed, unaware of the curse that had left her mouth as she glanced to Howie, her eyes wide with an horrified shock at the revelations.

"How've you been?" Natalie was asking Flavio as she offered him a quick peck on the lips.

"If Brian asks? They barely looked at each other and she slapped him when he tried to shake her hand," Howie murmured to himself.

"How could have those two dated for so long and not once fallen into bed together? Or into a bathroom stall? Or a jacuzzi? Or on the floor next to the bed? Or in a chair?" Alana continued to tick off the various settings where sexual intercourse could occur, just shaking her head in awe as the makeup stylist finished and Flavio greeted Natalie with several warm kisses. "He's too pretty to be straight…"

"Do we need to be talking about this?" Howie questioned, watching in horror as Flavio kept an arm around Natalie's waist before turning to greet Alana. "Isn't it bad enough that I wondered that when they were dating?"

"We'll get him your number after the shoot, Daddy D," Alana cooed as she carefully moved to stand up from the artist's chair. She had completely abandoned her cane for today, though she had stuffed it in Howie's car when Nick had kissed her goodbye. She offered the most charming smile as she reached out her hand in greeting.

"Howie isn't Flav's type," Natalie murmured in confusion. Shaking her head slightly, she smiled. "Alana Moore, this is Flavio. Flavio, this is my best friend, Nick's girlfriend, and the next big thing to hit the music business," she introduced, silently wondering how she had ever found Flavio's clinginess so mesmerizing. Gently unwinding the arm from her waist, she moved to sit next to Howie once more, making a face when Flavio immediately swept Alana's hand between his, offering several kisses to her fingers as he murmured greetings in his native tongue. Turning to Howie, she sighed. "Kill me now."

"Why?" Howie grunted, narrowing his smoldering chocolate eyes toward the slick man that continued to pull Alana close to him. "Are you jealous?"

"No, because I didn't see him for the slimy pig that he truly is until after we had broken up," Natalie explained, reaching with one foot to push Flavio back a few steps. Ignoring his scowl, she kept her eyes on Howie. "He's going to be this suave, debonair and oh-so foreign, plying her with flowers and fancy chocolates, trying to get her to pose nude for him on his black satin sheets--"

"Sounds like someone played that game already…" Howie murmured as he watched Flavio pull Alana away from the dressing area and toward the background of the shoot. Immediately, he launched himself to his feet and pulled for his phone. He could only imagine what Nick would say about this fiasco, especially if he were to stop in during the middle of the shoot. He had said he would be busy all day, but Howie wouldn't put it past the younger man just to stop by and greet Alana. "…Should I cancel the shoot?"

"No!" Natalie nearly screeched, yanking the phone from Howie's hand before he could dial.

"You just said that he would--"

"Alana knows my history with him, she knows what kind of a womanizing cocksucker he truly is--"

"And she's kind of in an awkward position, because he's the photographer and she's the model…" Howie hesitated when he realized that Flavio and Alana were out of his sight. Cursing, he helped Natalie to her feet and stumbled away from the breezy curtains to find Flavio ripping at the sash that tied Alana's robe together. Howie choked and prepared to launch a heavy fist toward the greasy photographer, but Natalie caught his arm just as Alana turned in shock.

"You don't like the outfit?" she guessed, instantly covering her bared midsection with her hands in embarrassment. The bikini that the shoot had called for was risqué to say the least. The scarlet top was a strapless bandeau that hugged her breasts tightly, cinched just the valley between her breasts to attention was drawn there immediately. The scarlet bottoms were low riding on her hips, several long inches away from her belly button, and tied at her hips with red 'o' rings to display a touch more of tantalizing skin. Her long, curved torso glistened underneath the lighting of the studio, casting lustful shadows around her and adding to the depth of her full breasts as well as the lean, curved nature to her beautiful body, creating a sexual stirring in the male employees of the day. At first she had been conscious of the scar running along the outside of her right leg from her knee toward her mid thigh, but now she wasn't sure what to think as Howie stared at her.

"It's a great bikini," Howie promised, reaching to draw the robe across Alana's body once more. "But it's chilly in here, you know? And my star has to be comfortable…"

"You do realize that the shoot isn't going to be in the robe, correct, Mr. Dorough?" Flavio grumbled with an elaborate roll of his eyes as Howie butted between him and Alana to fix the robe. Stumbling back slightly, he moved toward the table of equipment, selecting what he wanted.

"Yes, I realize that," Howie returned with a scowl, cinching the sash. "But then all the lights will be on, and I know she won't be cold under the lights. And in case you didn't know, she's still recovering from several injuries, so we need to get this show on the road so she can get back home and get some rest… Asshole," he added under his breath. "Want some water, Sweetie?"

"Did Nick instruct you to be an asshole?" Alana questioned, her voice squeaking slightly as Howie yanked hard on the sash to tighten it around her waist, perhaps wanting to cut oxygen off to her brain in the process. She heard Flavio mutter several lines of Italian, which she assumed were ironically nasty, glancing back to the worrisome looks of Natalie.

"I'm just protecting my investment from greaseballs," Howie defended. "I'll go get you that water now."

Natalie watched Howie walk across the studio before offering Alana a nervous smile. "He just knows how Flav is, how… Utterly romantic and charming he can be--"

"I think he might be homosexual…" Alana answered easily as she watched Flavio bark orders to perfect the background as he took several test shots. "Bisexual to say the very least."

Natalie let her gaze move to Flavio, unabashedly staring at him. "Nope. One hundred percent heterosexual. A body built like a Roman God--"

"He's way too pretty," Alana murmured, watching Natalie with a smirk of amusement. "I like the guys that are rough around the edges. A little messy and unkempt. Wild and passionate. Torn jeans and a simple t-shirt. A hat for me to steal so we can tease and play. That is just so damn sexy…"

"Flav can be very passionate… You should see him first thing in the morning when his hair is rumpled and he hasn't shaved and he's just padding around his studio apartment in jeans and no--" Natalie cut off, abruptly turning her back to the man they spoke of. "God, Bumpkin's going to kill me!"

"So, this rumpled nature… Do you see it as you're ringing the doorbell to greet him with a morning coffee and bagel? Or is it more of a rousing from sleep, wrapping the blankets around your nude body, and waiting for fresh squeezed orange juice that he so humbly prepares?"

Natalie blushed hard. "I wasn't nude--"

"Just from the bottom down," Alana laughed as Howie returned with a cold bottle of water and a coffee for Natalie.

"More like the waist up," Natalie corrected. "And I don't even know why I'm talking about it like it was so wonderful, it's not like he--"

"Could we switch conversational topics for just a moment? I don't want any details about your relationship with the Asshole that I might be able to repeat to Brian in haste," Howie interrupted with a hard grumble, glaring toward Natalie as he handed over the coffee.
"Okay…" Alana trailed, fighting not to nibble on her bottom lip for fear of scolding. "…How was my interview?"

"It was perfect," Howie promised with a smile. "You said all the right things--"

"Even when they asked if I was seeing anyone?" Alana inquired as she glanced to both Natalie and Howie. They had been in the room while the reporter badgered her about all aspects of her personal life. What had scared her most was the ultimate question about her love life. She had been sweet and oblivious with the answer. Suggesting that yes, she was involved, but never bothering to divulge the name. As if the media world would never had heard of him anyway. The mere white lie had been painful enough to her heart and she ultimately worried what Nick thought. At Brian's release, Nick had made a point to tell Natalie that everyone knew they were dating. But, that was far from the truth. They never spoke about how their relationship would pan in light of the media. And that scared her.

"You told them you were involved seriously. That's all they need to know," Howie assured her softly. "You and Nick have to make the decision about when and how you let the media know you're together."

"Probably a month after the twins pop out. Oh, by the way, fans, media, and loved ones…" Alana trailed with a helpless shrug of her shoulders as Flavio called for her. Playing with the ends of her sash, she walked toward the man and the background they would be using. It was a lush jungle theme with crimson plants to compliment the dark scarlet color of her bikini. She was intrigued by the set-up, studying it even as the robe was pulled from her body. It wasn't until she smelled the sweet aroma of coconut oil and Flavio's hands moving over her body that she jerked. "Wasn't this junk supposed to be sprayed on me?"

"How is it supposed to be applied correctly if I am not the one applying it?" Flavio returned with a charming smile, even as Natalie yanked the bottle from his hands.

"Hands off, you disgusting ass," she hissed before pulling Alana away.

"Natalie's typical mantra," Flavio hummed, though he studied the gentle curvature of Alana's physique as he snapped his fingers for a hand towel. "Of course, I would also be quite jealous standing in front of this perfect creature…"

"Dear God, I hope he's talking about Howie," Alana breathed.

Turning to Howie, Natalie pushed the bottle of oil into his hands. "See that this is applied correctly while I have a few words with the photographer?" she questioned carefully. At his hesitant nod, she jerked a hand towel from the awed assistant.

Howie stared in shock as Natalie sank her fingers into Flavio's arms before tugging him from the studio, seemingly deaf to the sputtered Italian the photographer hissed at her. Wincing slightly when the door clicked shut behind them, he turned to Alana. "Well… Want me to oil you down?"

"Alex is so going to hate you when you tell him about this," Alana mused with a playful smirk as she nodded toward Howie, turning to face him so he could do her front first.

"I'll be sure and gloat appropriately," Howie promised with a grin as he stepped closer.

"Without Nick around," she suggested.

"Well that just sucked all the fun out of it…"

"I was just looking out for your state of health."

"I'll just change your name to protect the innocent," Howie offered as he smoothed oil across her abdomen.

"…What exactly is that supposed to mean?" Alana queried, though it turned to a soft giggle as Howie's eyebrows jutted up in surprise. "It tickles!"

"Well if Nick overhears that I was rubbing oil onto the flat stomach of a beautiful model, he wouldn't think twice…"

"True…" Alana agreed, glancing down to watch him pour more oil into his hands before running them down the length of her long legs.

"Thereby keeping me safe from his jealous tirade," Howie concluded.

"And under the threat of my hellish blackmail," Alana added with a small smile as Howie stood, offering her a surprised look as she gathered her long locks behind her shoulders so he could finish oiling her front. "It was a joke, Daddy D. He'd kill me first… Is this photoshoot going to take an extremely long time? Like, can I hope to get out before eight tonight?"

"Honestly? I have no idea," Howie answered softly. "It all depends on what kind of mood Fartio's in--"

"Leslie invited me to her show tonight," Alana interrupted as means of an explanation, looking to the scenery as Howie smoothed the oil along her chest, not wanting to make him uncomfortable. "Nick and Aaron were saying that she really wants me to come. That she's been talking about it all the time. I really want to make it. She's the only Carter sister who doesn't have a voodoo doll replica of me."

"We'll tell the slimy greaseball that you have a prior engagement at eight and have to have you out of here by seven," Howie decided, offering her the bottle so she could apply it to her arms. "That way you'll have time to go home and change and everything--"

"Hell, I'd go out in this bikini just to make it on time," Alana murmured as she dabbed some oil into her hands before offering it back and turning so he could get her back. Steadily working to rub the oil into her arms, she heard the door to the studio yank open.

"Of all the infuriating, self-centered, egotistical assholes that I have ever met in my entire life," Natalie grumbled under her breath as she stalked across the studio.

"Problems, Nattie?" Howie inquired halfheartedly, though one glance at her exasperated features had him gulping in worry.

"Why did I waste a year of my life with him?" Natalie continued, throwing her hands up in disgust. "I even promised the jackass my virginity on our first anniversary-thank God we never made it that long--"

"What happened?" Alana interrupted gently, not wanting Natalie to divulge her entire life story to the many employees buzzing around the studio. One slip of the tongue and the media would be at her like a brushfire.

"He's just a… A…" Natalie took a deep breath, expelling it slowly. "He always knows how to get me fired up is all."

"Do I even want to know what he said?"

"…I doubt it…"

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I released my pent-up anger," Natalie assured with a smile.

"…What'd you do?" Howie questioned worriedly, glancing towards the door. "…You didn't kick him, did you?"

"Is the shoot canceled?" Alana asked hopefully.

"No, Flavio just has to go put some ice on his crotch for a few minutes--"

"Did he insult your feminine nature?" Howie immediately accused.

"Howie, I took care of it, okay?" Natalie murmured. "Can you for once stop being a Daddy and just rub oil on Alana's legs?"

"What did he say?" Howie insisted.

Sighing, Natalie lowered her gaze to floor, Flavio's words still stinging. "…That I was a waste of his time, his money, and he should have never agreed to do the shoot when he saw my name on the contact form…"

"The fucking bastard…" Alana growled protectively as she turned slightly to see if anyone else was coming, but the door remained closed. Pulling away from Howie's hands, she reached to take Natalie's face into her hands, pressing a reassuring kiss to her best friend's forehead. "I'm sorry and I'll fix this..." Glancing around, Alana noticed Flavio's assistant fussing with the cameras, aiming one toward her to take several shots. Tilting her head, she excused herself from Howie and Natalie. "…Are you a photographer?"

"If kids portraits counts," the assistant answered carefully.

"Here's your chance to get into the big leagues," Alana offered with a beautiful grin of encouragement, reaching to take the young man's arm. Pulling him over to the scenery, she glanced up for a moment. "You run underneath Flavio all the time. You know how he operates. And, you've probably wanted to be a photographer all your life? He just hasn't given you a chance to shine? Right?"

The young man nodded slightly, casting one fearful glance over his shoulder, as though afraid Flavio would come bursting in. "R-right…"

"'Lana, what are you doing--"

"Flavio is screwing around with us right now. He thinks that because I'm the model that I have to bend under his rules. He wants to piss around because you stood up to him. Well, I can piss around with him, too. This guy here, I bet he's a wonderful photographer. Flavio keeps him underfoot, because he's afraid of getting upstaged. So, he takes the photographs and gets us out early. So, I can keep my promise to Leslie. And, if the photographs are fucked up, Maxim will be wholly pissed with Flavio and call me back for another shoot with another photographer. If not, his ass is safe, but he's the one that's going to fret about it. Not me," Alana explained as she looked back to the assistant. "Will you do it?"

"Damn straight I will," the assistant agreed with a grin.

Howie clapped him on the shoulder as Natalie impulsively hugged Alana tightly. "I'll just go make sure that Flavio doesn’t bother us," he announced.

"Allie, you're going to be oily enough to slip through a cat door!" Alana exclaimed as she accepted several kisses all over her face from Natalie. Playfully rolling her eyes, she pulled away as the assistant kindly helped her onto the scenery. "When Maxim says they love the photographs, I promise I'll tell them who deserves the real credit."

"No need to do that. Just knowing I've put one over on His Majesty is credit enough."

"Not to mention the fact that he gets to photograph you and pose you however he likes," Natalie suggested as she sat at the edge of the scenery, watching the young assistant direct Alana next to one of the crimson trees, pulling a leaf toward her shoulder. She was awed that Alana would take such a stand against a person who ultimately controlled her media portrayal. That she would risk everything just for Natalie.

"Why is there a whimpering Italian standing outside with Howie shouting at him in Spanish?" Nick questioned from the doorway as he entered the studio. Holding Zachary's carrier in one hand, a diaper bag over his shoulder and clutching an armful of teddy bears, he moved to dump the majority of the load in an empty chair before checking to make sure that Zachary was still asleep. Breathing a sigh of relief, he replaced the blanket over his son.

"Because Flavio was offered this shoot from Maxim and none of us realized it until he stepped into the room and started manhandling 'Lana. Then I tried to set him straight and he just went up one side of me and down the other. So, now 'Lana is giving him another kick in the nuts while Howie berates him for his unprofessional manner," Natalie explained in a hurried breath as she took the carrier from Nick so he could take a seat and then settled it gingerly to the floor. Looking toward the scenery and Alana performing beautifully underneath the critical gaze of the camera, she sighed, deciding Flavio needed a rash of Nick's jealous rage. "Where were you anyway? …You should have heard what he was saying about 'Lana…"

"I was at home getting kicked in the balls by an angry infant," Nick answered softly, propping one ankle on the opposite knee as he watched Alana pose, barely hearing the end of Natalie's statement as she flopped onto the floor to gaze at Zachary. "He might be little, but damn--"

"He missed his Mommy," Natalie crooned, carefully fixing the blanket along the infant, making sure to keep him in a dark, warm cocoon beneath the blanket. "Didn't he?"

"He sure as Hell didn't want anything to do with… What did that foreign fucker say about Beautiful?"

"I guess you'd want to know about the touching first. Smothering her hand with his lips and tongue. Then, we're walking out to the set and he just rips her robe off without any warning whatsoever. And then he thinks he should start oiling her down, slipping his hand underneath the bikini instead of where it needs to be! Then what he said… She's a sex-pot and he insists on taking a lick of every portion of her body. He's just ready to have this torrid affair with her. Wants to make up some phony lines about needing more film, then taking her roughly... Let's just say it wasn't pretty, Nicky… But I couldn't tell her that. Howie would never let him ra--"

"I'll be back," Nick interrupted, shoving the bottle he held into her lap as he stood.

"Where are you going?" Natalie demanded in confusion.

"To roast me an Italian sausage," Nick answered with a dark scowl as he flung the door open.

"He deserves it for the stuff he said about 'Lana," Natalie murmured to herself, settling back against her chair with satisfaction. The man had been ruthless in his pursuit of tearing her apart as well as insisting on his intentions with Alana. She wouldn't put it past the man to force himself upon Alana. The very idea made her sick with worry.