- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry about the lapse in updates. Had to get the summer semester out of the way and all that, and now I have several months ahead to do nothing but write. That is, as long as people want me to. And, as long as Anastacia wants to continue writing with me... Anyways, enjoy :)
"You know, Nat, you really didn't have to come here and clean my house. I was thinking more along the lines of actually resting. Going from a long plane ride to a hospital, and then home to cleaning? That ain't healthy at all. Honest, take a seat," Brian chided for what he felt was the thousandth time, glancing up from his laptop to see Natalie diligently folding his boxers and setting them into a large pile. It was amazing to see a woman so attentive to his needs, especially since Leighanne wouldn't be caught next to a washer or dryer. To think Natalie was his estranged wife's best friend was just unbelievable. They were complete opposites. And, that kind of opposites certainly didn't attract.

"Bumpkin… I checked, you only have three pairs of clean boxers at the hospital, and you need clean clothes… Besides, I like doing this. It makes me feel useful," Natalie explained with a smile, scooping up the stack of clean clothes to carry to his bedroom. Pausing behind the couch, she glanced over his shoulder, gently smoothing the blanket spread over the back. Pulling her hand away when her fingers brushed his neck, she turned to head upstairs.

"Thank you for looking at my unmentionables," Brian called, craning his neck backward to see her disappear. Once she was gone, he brought a hand to the back of his neck, unable to deny the thrill that raced down his spine at the mere touch of her fingertips. She had been his best friend for ages. His wife's best friend for longer than that. He had merely considered her a little sister since she was only twenty-three compared to his thirty-one years. But, now, with desperation getting the better of him, he was starting to look at her with a passionate pleasure.

Returning a few moments later, Natalie paused several feet behind the couch, watching Brian gingerly touching his neck. Biting back the urge to join him and ask for a snuggle, she headed to gather the rest of the clean laundry. He was her best friend's husband. Well, technically. Leighanne had never been what Natalie would consider a true wife, especially after Baylee's birth. And though she was close to Brian, closer perhaps than she was to anyone else, she knew she had to tame the urges within to grow closer. "I'll just get these put up and--" Breaking off into a yelp, Natalie watched the stack of towels fly to the floor as Brian pulled her down next to him. "Bumpkin!"

"I shower at the hospital. Towels aren't important," Brian insisted with a cheshire smile, wrapping his arms around her as he affectionately kissed her cheek. "And you're not going to be my maid. You're my guest."

Natalie shivered at the touch of his lips. "Bumpkin, I work for you. You're not paying me to just sit around and pretend to look pretty--"

"I am now," Brian answered with a very matter of fact tone, grinning wider.

"That antiseptic smell at the hospital has affected your brain," Natalie teased, sliding one arm around him when he pulled her closer. Allowing her head to rest on his chest, she breathed in the scent of his cologne, reaching to fiddle with the open collar of his button down shirt. It was a familiar scene, snuggling close late at night. Brian had been the one to find her, crying and inconsolable, after breaking up with her high school sweetheart. It had been Brian that held her close that night, listening so intently to her sobs that her life was over. Brian that had been the first person by her side when her father died, though he had been in Switzerland when she called him. It seemed that every time she needed someone, Brian was there. Closing her eyes, she relaxed in his embrace, only to jump slightly when the oven timer went off. Leaping away from him, she hopped to her feet. "Oh! The cookies!"

"The cookies?" Brian questioned in surprise. "You baked? What happened to Miss I Burn Water?"

"I called Mom for step by step instructions…" Natalie trailed, giggling at his disbelieving expression. Throwing her hands up, she sighed. "Alright, I'll admit it! It's the pre-made cookies that you just throw onto a cookie sheet and put in the oven!"

"Bet they're burnt," Brian laughed, jumping over the back of the couch to hurry after her.

"If they are, you're going to eat every one of them and tell me just how darn good they are," Natalie threatened, darting into the kitchen. Peeking into the oven, she squeaked in surprise. "Um… Bumpkin? …Guess it'd help if I turned the oven on, huh?"

"And now I become equally convinced that you are once again Leigh's best friend. She couldn't even find her way to the oven. I had to draw her a map and she still couldn't flip a switch," Brian laughed, moving to kiss the back of her head as he reached to turn on the oven.

"Hey, hey, I can flip a switch… I'm just not used to this fancy oven you have," Natalie defended, turning to stick out her tongue at him.

"I know you can, I just love that you're adorably ditzy," Brian decided, matching her with his own tongue poking out.

"I just love you," Natalie whispered under her breath, leaning up to cover his lips with hers.

At first, Brian thought that perhaps he was dreaming when he felt the softness of lips sweeping over his. It had been so long since he had been kissed so tenderly, causing his entire body to flush with delight. And when he realized it was Natalie kissing him, he felt his whole world begin to spin. The words that she had said beforehand had never sounded so sincere. Not even on his wedding day, though that was a faded image of the past. Forgetting his deceiving, soon to be ex-wife, he reached to cup her face, eagerly returning the kiss. "Nat…"

"Brian," Natalie whispered against his lips, gasping softly when his arms curled around her waist, pulling her closer to him. Knowing she should pull away, that her feelings for the man were dangerous enough already, she placed her hands on his chest. Fully intent on pushing herself from his arms. Until his lips parted, the tip of his tongue teasing her lips.

"I love you, Nat," Brian whispered when her lips parted ever so slightly to gain him entrance. He felt his entire body shudder with delight as he tilted her chin ever so slowly, allowing himself a taste of her. And God was she sweet.

Trembling, Natalie slid her arms around his neck, drawing his tongue into her mouth for a gentle taste. The sparks of arousal from his kiss growing into a flame, she pulled him closer, allowing her fingers to tangle in the hair at the nape of his neck. "Brian--"

"I've loved you since I met you," Brian insisted as he pulled her up into his arms, setting her upon the counter. Then, wrapping his hands within her wavy light brown locks, he pulled her down to meet his lips, swirling his tongue against her own, producing a low moan.

"God, Brian…" Natalie gave in to the cries of her body, slowly winding her legs around his waist to draw him closer to her, needing to feel his warmth. It seemed his hands were everywhere, dragging slowly down her back and at the same time lightly caressing her cheeks. Trailing her fingers down his chest, she hesitated when she reached the first button. "Let me--"

"My scar…" Brian reminded her softly as his lips moved to the side of her face, outlining the curvature of her jaw. He was still sensitive about the scars left from his own open heart surgery. Never seen in public without his shirt on.

"Can I kiss it?" Natalie questioned softly, her fingers fumbling with the buttons.

"I… No one has ever done it before…" Brian trailed, reaching to cup her hands with his. When she looked up into his eyes in shock, he discovered that the dark amber flecks of her eyes had completely concentrated the rest of her pretty irises. He grinned as he leaned up to kiss her again, pulling her into a swaddled position in his arms. Carrying her toward the living room, he gently laid her upon the couch, bending over to seek her lips once more. "Comfortable?"

"I'm always comfortable when I'm with you," she whispered honestly, her fingers reaching to continue unbuttoning his shirt. Heart beating madly in her chest, she stared into his eyes as her fingers gently grazed the scar on his chest. Lifting her head, she brushed a soft kiss over his lips before dipping her head to trail her mouth over his scar.

"Oh God," Brian breathed with a heavy shudder, closing his eyes to control the sensations lapping over his body. It had been so long since he had been intimate with a woman. Leighanne had resented him for becoming pregnant, so it had literally been three years since he had made love. Not that he had experienced this overwhelming desire with Leighanne before. "Nat…"

"Hmm?" Laying her head back so she could see his eyes again. Moving her fingers in slow circles over his chest, she wet her lips anxiously, her entire body aflame from his gentle touches. Wondering if she should tell him the truth, she reached to smooth her thumb over his cheek. "What is it, Brian?"

"It's been so long… And aren't you… Nat…" Brian fumbled to have his questions answered, glancing worriedly into her darkening eyes.

"Pure as the driven snow?" she supplied with a slight smile, using the words he had on earlier occasions. When some of his friends tried to get too close. Nodding, she cupped his face in her hands.

"I can't take that away from you," he whispered apologetically, leaning to kiss her forehead. "You need to save that for someone special."

Natalie felt the desire that had so quickly flooded her body quickly rush away, replaced by a coldness as his attentions turned brotherly. Wanting to shout out that he was her someone special, that he wouldn't be taking anything from her, she instead nodded shakily, taking a deep breath to calm her racing heart. "I'm sorry, Bumpkin… I got carried away, and--"

"Hey," Brian chuckled with interruption. "I ain't got any problem with all that touchy feely stuff."

"But all that touchy feely stuff leads to this, remember?" she reminded him softly, reaching to button his shirt. Only, she couldn't resist offering one more soft kiss to his scar. "And one of us always pulls back…"

"I just don't want to hurt you, Nat. I love you way too much to hurt you."

As though his rejections didn't hurt more than anything else he could do, she thought sadly, resting her head on his shoulder once she had buttoned his shirt completely. "I know…"

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Natalie lied, pressing soft kisses to his cheek. "I think jet lag's starting to hit me…"

"Then let's go to bed?" he suggested, reaching down to kiss her softly once more as means of an apology.

"Got to wait for the cookies I'm slaving over," she reminded him with a smile.

"I'll go draw you a long hot bath and I'll wait for the cookies?"

"You're not going to go all Peeping Tom on me and watch me through the keyhole, are you?" Natalie questioned with a soft laugh, though the gleam in her light caramel eyes was hopeful.

"Lord no!" Brian blurted, blushing furiously.

"I was kidding, Bumpkin. You're too much of a gentleman to do anything like that," Natalie assured him, kissing his crimson cheeks. "Give me lots of bubbles, okay? And the cookies should be finished in a couple minutes, so I'll wait down here for them--"

"Can I sit on the toilet-with the lid down-And talk to you while your bathing?"

Natalie nodded, moving to slide from the couch. "Sounds like a plan to me, Bumpkin… And if you get me all riled up, I reserve the right to jerk you into the tub fully dressed."


*~*~*


"Do you always wear that to bed or is it just to torture me?" Nick blurted when Alana stepped out of the bathroom wearing a purple spaghetti tank top and matching boy cut shorts. Her long blonde hair was thrown into a haphazard ponytail, several soft tendrils framing her face as she headed over to the messenger bag she'd placed on the chair. Glancing down to make sure Baylee was completely asleep, Nick gently shut the book he had been reading and set it aside, his eyes nearly glued to Alana's trim body.

"Wouldn't you like to know…" Alana teased with a seductive purr, glancing over her shoulder before peering into her messenger bag to locate her favorite tropical twist chapstick. Standing up when she located it, she arched her back as far as she could to stretch her slightly achy muscles. She honestly had no clue that Nick would be spending the evening at the hospital with her and Baylee. She had thought it was teasing. But, there he was, and her with barely a stitch of clothing. "If I honestly had known you would be here, I would have worn a baggy sweatshirt and sweatpants to conceal my ugliness. Trust me."

"Ugliness? What ugliness?" Nick questioned, licking his lips slowly as she applied her chapstick. Even from a few feet away, he could smell the tangy, tropical aroma, and knew it would taste heavenly. If only he could just… Shaking his head to clear away the lusty thoughts, he heaved a hearty sigh. "You're far from ugly, Alana--"

"You want some?" Alana offered, tilting her head to the side in wonder as he studied her so closely. She offered her chapstick toward him, her damp locks spilling over her shoulders. Nick noted that they were curly, realizing she must iron her hair every day.

"Uh…" Nick blanked. "Huh?"

"You want some of my body?" she rephrased, her teal eyes glittering impishly.

"Hell yes," Nick breathed before he could censor his thoughts. Cheeks burning, he groaned. "I mean… That is… I, uh…"

"How about some chapstick?" she offered, tossing the small tube to him before sinking into the nearby chair, propping her bare feet upon the mattress of the bed.

Fiddling with the tube, Nick let his gaze slowly move up her bare legs. "I was trying to picture what you look like without clothes on… I mean, your work clothes! What you wear at home! Are you naked at home? Er… I mean…"

"Nick," Alana laughed softly, reaching to swat his upper thigh playfully as she crossed her long, bronzed legs. "What is up with you? Are you always this damn nervous? 'Cause usually you're exuding with this come-fuck-me-now confidence that makes hundreds of girls wilt to their knees in ecstasy."

"That's just on stage, though?" Nick offered lamely, not sure he could tell her the truth. Not knowing how she would respond if he admitted that she made him nervous. There was just something about her, the rebellious spirit he saw within her, shielding a sorrow he was certain was there somewhere. Somehow, in her presence, he felt like nothing but an idiot. Which he no doubt showed constantly…

"You were pretty terrific with those girls today and that wasn't a stage," Alana contradicted, reaching a bare arm behind her to retrieve her bottle of Pepsi and bag of Peanut Butter M&M's. "And, I really do have to say thank you for that. You were so great with them. I owe you the world. Honestly."

"You don't owe me anything. I just wish there was something more I could do for them… If only there was some way I could arrange it, I would so get all the guys here for a concert or something. Just for the kids and their families, you know? Spend a whole afternoon with them, talk to them… 'Cause they've all got a story, and even though each one breaks my heart, I…" Nick sighed, rubbing away the hot tears that had filled his eyes.

"Hey, they're resilient kids, Nick. They don't let what's happening to them affect their every day lives. And they certainly don't want you to feel sorry for them. They just want to be treated like kids. They want their hugs and kisses and someone to hold their hand when it hurts. Yeah, we do lose some of them, but most thrive. It's not all sadness. You just have to remember the joy," Alana explained softly, withdrawing her legs from the bed and reaching to rub his thigh in a soothing manner. She had been submersed in the heartache since she had become a nurse. Then she had been wrapped around within her own personal saga. But, she didn't think about that as she nurtured Nick's hurts. "And if you really want to do that… Let me know, I can get everything fixed here, you just have to get the guys."

"They'll be all for it," Nick assured, patting her hand absently, his mind already rolling with ideas. "I'll talk to Brian in the morning, get him to call Kevin… And I'm sure Nat can take care of what little publicity we'd need… Do up some banners and whatnot for our site or whatever. Maybe I can talk management into giving whatever money we would have gotten for doing a concert to the hospital. I'll call AJ and Howie tomorrow--"

"You're serious about this?" Alana interrupted, expressing her amazement as she leaned back in her chair. She hadn't really considered that Nick would be so willing to donate money to the hospital, nor put on a benefit for the sheer effort of cheering up the sick children. She expected him to want something out of it. To get some kind of medal for his efforts. To have his fans swoon at his adoration for the children. It was amazing to see him so animated about something other stars would consider trivial.

"Very serious," Nick affirmed. "And I want Liz, Justie, Lory, Sam and Al to be right up front. Hell, I want Liz on stage," he added with a chuckle, amazed that the little girl had cooed her way into his heart. Tomorrow he would be bringing her to Baylee's room for a short visit. "I have to do this, Alana… Will you help me?"

"She'll sing right along with you. That's for sure," Alana agreed with a soft smile, glancing into Nick's dark indigo eyes. Shyly, she offered a small nod as she drew her legs to her chest. "I'll help you with whatever you need."

"Even if I just want a soft word and an encouraging hug 'cause it's been a long day and I'm beat and just want to snuggle with you and Bay--"

"You've got Baylee right there and you were fantastic with the girls today," Alana complied.

"But what about my hug and snuggle?" Nick encouraged with a smile, reaching for her hand.

"Again, Baylee's right--" Alana's sentence halted and turned to a muffled squeal as Nick managed to catch hold of her hand. He pulled her right into his lap without any means of an argument. And, though she could have most definitely given him a run for his money and most definitely a toss out of the bed, she allowed him this moment of domination. She assured herself it was because she didn't want Baylee to wake up, but there were other reasons as well.

"Don't you ever stop with the sarcasm?" Nick questioned, wrapping his arms around her waist to hold her close. Reaching up with one hand, he gently touched her damp hair, breathing in the tropical scent of her shampoo.

"Am I supposed to?" she questioned, glancing to the side to see Baylee curled close to Nick, leaving her no room to slide over. So, she was stuck on Nick's lap, so close to straddling him… Did he have his hand in her hair?

"It'd be nice?" Nick suggested, toying with the elastic band that held her hair up.

"Okay…" she trailed, keeping quite still, not sure of what she should do while perched upon him. After all, when he had held her earlier, he had responded in quite a surprisingly physical manner. Holding her breath, she toyed with the silver ring on a chain. "So, what did the girls tell you about me when I went to get the camera?"

"That every man within a hundred mile radius has the hots for you," Nick admitted, easily tugging the band from her hair. Smiling as her hair cascaded down her back, he twirled a tendril around his finger thoughtfully. "But more importantly that you're a wonderful person…"

"I just work hard at my job and I hardly have that much interest in me from the opposite sex," Alana scoffed softly, feeling a tender tug at the base of her skull. Turning to face him, she found a strawberry blonde curl wrapped around his index finger. Her eyebrows rose with honest curiosity at his action as she moved to straddle his lap. "They didn't go on about my singing did they? I swear to God they called the local radio station on me a few weeks ago to get me to sing--"

"They just went on about how you help them when they're feeling down," Nick interrupted, dropping one hand to her waist as he continued to play with her hair. It felt like silk against his skin, sliding erotically over his finger. Closing his eyes for a moment, he imagined the way her hair would feel against his body as he… Remembering Baylee was snuggled close to his side, he reluctantly pushed such thoughts away, though the evidence of the thoughts remained nestled just perfectly against Alana's backside. Licking his suddenly dry lips, he opened his eyes to find her staring at him.

"I think we need to get an extra hospital bed in here for tonight…" she decided softly, biting at the corner of her lip to keep her own body from reacting to what lay hardening beneath her. It had been so long since she had a physical connection with a man. The last man she had been with was her ex-husband and, ironically enough, he had been her first as well. Attempting to hide her growing heat of passion, she offered a devilish smirk. "And ain't that supposed to be an exit only?"

"Why would we need an extra bed?" Nick questioned, shifting her in his lap slightly, until his arousal rested against the front of her boy cut boxers. Her soft gasp sent a thrill through him, and it was all he could do to keep from tugging her down for a kiss. Instead, he wriggled slowly beneath her, a welcoming smirk touching his lips. "That's not an exit, is it?"

"God, Nick," Alana whimpered in shock, fully prepared to slam her fists against his chest to tell him to stop, but found her fingers intertwining within his shirt to steady herself against his manipulative movements. Squeezing her eyes shut, she bit down harder on her bottom lip to keep control over herself. Dear God in Heaven this wasn't happening.

Nick moaned softly, his hand gripping her waist gently. "Alana, I--"

"Need to take a cold shower," Alana concluded, the better side of her conscience and guilt getting the best of her. "Baylee's sleeping right beside us."

"Fuck," Nick breathed.

"I'm sorry," Alana apologized as she reached to take the light blue elastic band that Nick had placed upon his wrist. Once it was tucked securely in her hand, she slid off Nick's lap, moving to push two chairs together. Hurriedly tossing her long strawberry golden locks into a messy bun, she rubbed her prickled arms, feeling the threat of tears wash over her. What the Hell had she been thinking?

"Alana, I'm sorry," Nick began, eyeing her worriedly as she jerked a blanket over the chairs. Not sure what he had done, but wanting to make things right. "Look… You sleep with Bay, alright? I'll take the chairs. You need your rest, you worked today--"

"I'm fine. He knows you better than he knows me. He'll be more comfortable with you," Alana dissuaded, crawling onto the chair and extending her long legs to put the chairs at a comfortable distance. She then reached within her spaghetti strap tank top, playing with her silver ring once more.

"But… What did I do? I came on too strong, didn't I? I'm--"

"You didn't do anything wrong," Alana promised softly, glancing sideways to find him staring at her. "It was me, honestly… And I didn't want to wake Baylee up. Brian would never forgive me and I'd probably be fired on the spot…"

"At least let me call for an extra bed, okay? I'd never forgive myself if you woke up with a crick in your neck or a charley horse in your-very soft and beautiful-thigh…"

"Nick," Alana laughed as she rubbed her eyes to ward off the tears. "Are you always so damn horny?"

"Not always," Nick shrugged easily as he slid out of the bed. Stooping, he grabbed a clean t-shirt from the open suitcase by the bedside table. "I'm going to change for bed…"

"Okay…" Alana agreed with a soft nod, watching him move awkwardly toward the bathroom. Exhaling a hard breath of pain, she climbed away from the chairs and slid into bed beside Baylee. The warmth of Nick's body soothed her, but she could hardly keep the tears from falling as she gazed down at the stirring little boy. He reminded her so much of her-"Hey, Jungle Boogie Boy…"

"'Lana," Baylee murmured, shifting closer until his head rested on her chest. "Why cries?"

"Just had a scary dream," Alana assured him, brushing her fingers through his hair. "What are you doing up?"

"Had dream 'bout Daddy…" Baylee yawned softly, reaching for George and Simba so they could join in the snuggling. "Nicky go pee?"

"Yeah, I'm just taking his place till he gets back," Alana promised as Baylee draped a leg and arm over her.

"'Lana?" Baylee questioned, tilting his head back so he could look into her eyes.

"Yeah, Sweetheart?"

"When I have my surg'ry, you be in d'ere wit' me? Hold my hand? An' don't let 'em take George an' Simba?" Baylee requested hopefully, his voice wavering with fear. "They won't let Daddy go in, and I wan' someone…"

"Oh, Sweetheart," Alana sighed, pressing several kisses to his forehead. "Of course I'll go in there and sit with you the whole time. I won't let anyone hurt you. Dr. Riley, who's doing your surgery, he's a good friend of mine. He'll let me in there with you, no questions asked."

"George an' Simba, too?"

"I promise," Alana agreed, crossing an imaginary line over his heart. "Now we need to get you back to sleep. Want me to sing to you? Though I sound like a canary who swallowed a big 'ol bullfrog?"

"Nuh uh, you don't sound like that," Baylee disagreed as he rested his head on her chest once again. "You sound like an angel, 'Lana. You sing a pretty song for me?"

"Let's see what I can dredge out of my noggin for you," Alana drawled, slowly rubbing her hand along the boy's back. Humming softly and oblivious to Nick peeking out from the bathroom, she recalled her favorite song from Bambi II. Finding the right key, her gloriously beautiful voice comforted the little boy within the dimness of the room, proving indeed that she truly was a remarkable singer. "Under the snow, / Beneath the frozen streams / There is life… / You have to know / When nature sleeps, / She dreams there is life…"

Leaning in the doorway of the bathroom, Nick watched as Baylee's head drooped slowly, smiling slightly when he heard a soft snore come from the little boy. Alana continued to sing, her fingers gently smoothing Baylee's hair as she did so, her eyes closing as she snuggled closer. The chain hanging around her neck slid, the sliver ring catching the soft light for a split second. The token of a former love, perhaps? He wasn't sure. But he had never seen her without it, and knew it was just one small key to the secrets she kept inside. As her voice faded softly, her head drooping against the pillow as she fell asleep, he walked slowly over, pausing to bring the blanket up over her and Baylee. Leaning slightly, he kissed both their cheeks, his mouth lingering over Alana's for a second. "One day, will you let me in?" he whispered before pulling away to settle in the chair next to the bed. His eyes trained on the two snuggled so tightly in the bed, he pulled the blanket over his body, knowing he could watch them both sleep and never grow tired of it.