- Text Size +
Absentmindedly fingering the mother's ring on her necklace, she ran it along the chain in a gently swaying fashion. The tour had officially ended last night and it had been a stunning success, but more importantly, she was finally on a plane back to California. The tour had charted a private plane for the group to send them home, allowing them to abandon the tour busses and ride in comfort because of their dazzling success. Currently, Baylee was fast asleep with his father watching a movie. AJ and Howie were excitedly working through the new lyrics Alana had created. And, she was left to think, especially as she glanced over to the father and son. Brian had a few interviews to finish in Los Angeles, so he planned on staying at a hotel and allowing Baylee to go home with Alana for a few hours. He had been nonstop about wanting to see Natalie, so Brian decided to indulge him. But Brian, on the other hand, had no desire to step into Nick's home. Not that Alana blamed him. She wasn't exactly excited to step into the cozy home Nick and Natalie had created together for a month.

Startled when her cell phone began to vibrate in the seat next to her, Alana reached to grab it, rifling through the items she had tossed there as she got on the plane. Finally locating it, she glanced at the ID, half expecting to see Nick's number appear. Not recognizing the number that showed, however, she almost ignored it, thinking perhaps it was a reporter who had managed to get her private number. Seeing the Kentucky exchange, she chewed on her bottom lip. Perhaps it was Lizzie… Sighing, she flipped it open. "…Hello?"

"…Monkeyface? Is that you?"

"Jeremy?" Alana whispered in astonishment, feeling the very breath catch in her lungs at the recognition of the voice from her past. She had never expected to hear from him since the first anniversary of their son's death. They had met at the grave sight and spent the day together, but never made plans to speak with each other again. After all, their marriage had dissolved with the death of Colton. Each had taken what they had gained in the marriage. It was a civil split, selling what had been joint between them so each could start another life. But to hear his voice now… "Jer, it's really you?"

"When did my Twinkletoes become famous?" Jeremy questioned with a soft laugh. "I've been trying for ages to get in touch with you… How've you been?"

"You were always teasing me about singing and dancing around the house. And you were the one that was always taking me to karaoke bars saying that I was going to be the reason why you said to Hell with working. Why are you so surprised, Jerry? Just doing what you and Colt insisted that I had to do…" Alana trailed, shifting to show her back to the rest of her counterparts on the plane as she stared out the window. She wanted to cut them out of the conversation, especially now. "I'm good… How about my Steel Cowboy? How are you?"

"You know me, Twinkletoes, always working. Just signed a deal for a new condo out by the lake. Things are going good," Jeremy promised. "What's this I hear about you just finishing up a tour with a Christian singer? Hell, I didn't interrupt something important, did I?"

"You didn't interrupt anything… We finished our last concert last night and we've been on a plane ever since. We're heading back to California, where I'm living now… Did you hear my single, Steel?"

"You're damn tootin' I did! And I saw you canoodling in a bed with some boy band guy in the video too…"

"And I get another one for the next video," Alana mused with a small smile, hearing her ex-husband's chuckle seeming to lighten the darkness that had been brewing over her. She had been so lonely over the weeks of touring, even with having friends so close. Then Nick and Natalie's oversights into whatever type of relationship they had… Alana was grateful to hear from someone only connected to her life. "I wrote it myself, Steel."

"The next one?" Jeremy clarified. "That's great, Sparkles. I'm proud of you."

"Thanks… I'm pretty proud of myself, too," Alana assured, remembering all too well their constant bickering over her denial over her strengths and talents. "I'm really lucky to be given this opportunity, y'know? And too damn lucky that people actually enjoy my singing as a form of entertainment."

"I always told you that you could be a star," Jeremy reminded her softly.

"You teased me and called me Starlight."

"Colt always called you his Star too."

"That's why anything that we bought him with cowboys had to have stars on them..."

"I went to the cemetery last week… They got that brass spur on the stone finally…"

"It's only been almost two years," Alana groaned with cynicism, though realization that the anniversary of Colton's death was approaching once more settled over her miffed nature. Letting a hand fall to the tattoo on her hip, she gently traced the ink lines she had diligently memorized. "Is his resting place still clean? No messy clumps of weeds? How about those yellow roses I planted for him. God, did he love to buy me yellow roses…"

"It's perfect," Jeremy promised. "And the rosebush is doing fine, blooming like crazy… He always made me stop at the florist if we went to town, so he could get you roses. And God forbid there weren't any yellow ones…"

"He always had your temper, Steel, and Lord was he cute when he started spittin' fire."

"Which he never did too much, Sparkles. He was happy, wasn't he?"

"He was the happiest little boy ever to grace this Earth."

"Have you been out to see him?"

"After we went together last year, I made sure to stop by at least every week to see him. I'd actually bring out his favorite book to read to him and light those candles that I keep there with his favorite toy horse. He always hated the dark… But, the past couple months I haven't… I miss him so much…"

"I know," Jeremy whispered painfully. "I miss him too… Will you meet me there again?"

"…You want me to be there with you? Steel… Why?"

"Because… Damnit, Sparkles, we should go there together, y'know? We're his parents, it's only right, and…"

"…And?"

"…I miss you…"

"Steel…" Alana breathed in surprise, never expecting to hear that phrase fall from her ex-husband's lips. He had been so angry when Colton died; had blamed her for not helping to keep him alive; for not knowing about the heart defect. She was a nurse; she should have saved him. They had both changed from that point. The two lovers who had met so many years ago had been laid to rest with their son. "I can come home to meet you there again. We can go back to my house and I can make Colt's favorite meal. Meatloaf and homemade macaroni and cheese."

"With some of your delicious sweet tea?" Jeremy requested, hope evident in his voice. "And we can look through the old scrapbooks, if you'd like?"

"I'd really enjoy that," Alana agreed softly.

"You'll call me before you come out?"

"Now that I have your number, yeah. I'll give you a few days notice before I come. To make sure I'm not disrupting any of your plans."

"Sparkles, if I have any plans at all, I'll cancel them for you."

"Funny how the world caters to you when you're famous, huh?" Alana attempted to tease.

"Well I could make you tromp out to the construction site and find my sorry ass," Jeremy returned, and Alana could hear the smile she knew so well.

"And that'd be different from…"

"Hey, I met you at Wal-Mart a few times."

"When you knew I'd be going elsewhere to buy you a few presents."

"I'm sorry, Sparkles…"

"Alana?" Brian questioned softly from several feet away.

"You don't have anything to be sorry about, Steel," Alana murmured into her phone before turning to see Brian shifting uncomfortably from a few seats away. Taking the messenger bag from the seats beside her, she set it to the floor and gestured for Brian to come sit with her.

"I have a million things to be sorry about," Jeremy sighed. "And right now one of them is the fact I have a meeting to get to. Call me, okay? And we'll talk?"

"I'll call," she promised. "I know your sleeping patterns, remember?"

"Like clockwork. It was good hearing your voice, Sparkles. Take care of yourself…"

"You too, Steel," Alana murmured, parting with a soft goodbye before ending the conversation. Staring at the cell phone as she closed it, she was contemplative, far too many memories flooding her. That is, till Brian cleared his throat uncomfortably. Glancing up, she blushed furiously to see him still waiting. "Sorry, Brian. Sit down."

"Steel?" Brian inquired as he moved to settle into the seat next to hers.

"It's an old nickname for my ex-husband," Alana answered, hurriedly opening her cell phone to save his number before it had the chance to get lost. "He's about the only southern boy that didn't want to be a cowboy. He wanted to start his own construction business. So, he was always my steel cowboy…"

"That was your ex?" Brian questioned, hoping to clarify as he leaned back to get comfortable. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, that was my ex, Jeremy," Alana explained, leaning down to tuck her cell phone back into her messenger bag before fidgeting to get comfortable beside Brian. "And, I'm alright…"

"You still love him," Brian blurted suddenly with realization, his voice remaining calm even as his eyes widened slightly.

"Brian--"

"Hey, I understand, okay? You two had a child together and shared your lives for some time. It's perfectly alright to still have feelings for him," Brian assured her, reaching for her hand when she continued to stare at him in disbelief.

"We didn't just have a child together or share our lives for some time. He was my first love. I met him in high school when he fumbled into the sidelines and took me down with him. Got one of the nastiest concussions in my life, but he managed to hold my hand through the entire ride to the hospital and the examination… Hell, we were at rival schools… He even made sure to go to the same college as me. He was my first lover… He was my many firsts…" Alana explained softly, looking at their twined hands.

"And it did you good to talk to him again, didn't it?" Brian murmured, squeezing her hand gently.

"Yeah," Alana confessed with a miniscule nod. "We didn't exactly part on the best of intentions. Colt had just died and we were so broken. Neither of us knew how to lean on the other when we needed each other most. That kind of devastation just… He wanted someone to blame and I wanted someone to blame. Then you change so much. There were so many fights till finally he heaved this picture of Colt and me in this heirloom frame toward me and it shattered. That's when we knew it was over. We separated everything evenly and said goodbye. We saw each other a year ago on the anniversary of Colt's death, but even that was strained…"

"And he just called to set up meeting again for the next anniversary," Brian concluded softly as Alana glanced toward the window. Not sure if the tears she was trying desperately to hide were being shed for the loss of her son or the loss of a marriage, he merely squeezed her hand again in reassurance.

"I didn't think he'd want to get together again. The divorce was finalized; we both had moved to different places, his business was booming, I had nailed another nursing position at the hospital where I was working before I had that accident…" Alana sniffled softly, bringing her free hand to her face to shield the pain. "We went to the cemetery and ended up fighting. Only a year since Colt died and everything was way too fresh…"

"It'll do you good to see him again though," Brian assured her gently. "So you two can work through the pain. You had a son, and you're both still grieving him, maybe it'll make things a little easier to bear if you and he can be civil about things…"

"…He said he misses me…"

"I'm sure he does, Alana…"

"Things would have been so different if we…"

"I know," Brian promised. "But things happen for a reason…"

"I wouldn't have had a chance to love Nick…"

"Are you regretting that you got that chance?"

"God, no," Alana whispered, biting down hard on her bottom lip to keep the tears from spilling. How many nights she had laid awake, wishing to God that Colton hadn't died. She would have given anything to have the little boy back in her arms, listening to his giggle as he demanded for another pony ride. How she longed to have her husband back so her nights were never so cold or bitter. But, if God had granted her requests, she never would have found Nick and Zachary. Those two were her life. Not to mention the two lives growing inside her. "I love Nick so much, B…"

"Then you need to make your peace with… Steel…" Brian suggested softly, looping his arm around her shoulders for an affectionate squeeze.

"Do you think Nick would come with me? To Colt's resting place and to meet Steel? Because, Steel is the only family that I've ever really had… I want him to respect and appreciate where my life has gone. To let him know that I am okay… And for Nick to know about my past…"

"Nick loves you… I'm sure he'd go with you," Brian promised.

"Is it appropriate though?"

"Talk it over with Nick, okay? And ask your ex-husband how he'd feel about it," Brian murmured, squeezing her gently.

"Yeah…" Alana trailed, curving her arm around his waist to snuggle close. They had a few more hours of flight time left. "…Not that he even realizes I'm coming home today."

"Give him a call now? Or do you want to surprise him?" Brian questioned, settling back as he held her close.

"I'm not sure…"

"He'll be excited to see you--"

"I hope so," she whispered, biting down hard on her bottom lip to keep from thinking he'd probably be more excited when she went to work with AJ at the studio and had Natalie to himself.

"And you can chuck Natalie out on her ass and have him all to yourself," Brian added softly, hoping the malice in his thoughts was not evident in his voice.

"You were almost convincing in your act of worrying about me instead of hating Natalie," Alana teased, gently patting Brian's stomach in a loving manner. "How long are you planning on staying in California? 'Cause I'd love for you to bunk with Alex and hear my new song."

"A week or so…" Brian trailed with a noncommittal shrug. "Interviews and things--"

"Then you're going back to Kentucky?"

"…For a few days… Then I have some shows in Canada--"

"Who's going to open for you then?"

Brian expelled a heavy sigh as he struggled to remember the name of the talented young man he had met in New York. "Some Canadian singer. Johnny set it up--"

"Do you want me to stop bugging you with useless questions?"

"They're not useless…"

"Annoying?"

"You? Never," Brian promised with a genuine grin.

"Why do I think that I need to start rummaging for my shovel to bail me out of your load of sweetened bullshit?" Alana invited with a coy smile, playfully rolling her eyes.

"Hey! That ain't sweetened bullshit! It's the charm of a Southern gentleman," Brian defended, playfully tickling her side.

"Southern charm? Southern bullshit? What's the difference?" Alana jibbed, squealing in surprise at the tickling sensation exploded in her body from the work of both his hands.

"Tickle fest!" AJ erupted as he shoved the papers in his hands towards Howie before jumping out of his seat. Diving across the plane, he landed in Brian's lap, his hands moving to tickle Alana as well.

"Hey, hey, hey! Bony hip in my crotch!" Brian wheezed.

"Not like you have much use for it anyway!" AJ cackled, sneaking his hands underneath Alana's tank top to ravage her bare skin with tickles. Feeling her squirm with peals of laughter, he grinned in triumph, tickling harder as he kept Brian firmly planted to the floor.

"I have to pee, don't I?!"

"You know there's a way to--" Alana yelped when Brian's hand landed on her thigh with a pinch before a feverish tickle. "Forget I said anything!"

*~*~*

"Nat?" Nick called, allowing a whine to etch his voice as he hurriedly shoved the box of toys beneath the coffee table. Giving the living room a quick glance, he decided it would pass as clean, grateful Natalie had vacuumed earlier. Seeing her coming from the kitchen, he snatched the baby blanket from the back of the couch, tossing it in her direction. "What time did you say Beautiful's flight was coming in? Where's that basket of Snot Sucker's laundry that I washed this morning? Did you remember to--"

"Her flight's getting in at two, which is barely fifteen minutes from now. And, yes, I remembered to make sure that a limo was there to pick her up even though I think you should have done it yourself. Zach's basket of unfolded clothes is up in his bedroom along with a halfway naked, sleeping child because you insisted that you dress him," Natalie announced in monotone, jerking backward when the blanket hit her face. Peeling it away, she noticed Nick pacing furiously within the living room. Fighting to roll her eyes, she made sure to fold the blanket as she finished walking down the stairs. The man had plead ignorant to the heated kisses during the summer storm a few nights ago, oblivious that he had even a miniscule amount of smoldering attraction for her. Now that Alana was coming home, he was focused on her and Natalie didn't know how she felt about that. Nor did she know how she was going to look her best friend in the eye.

"Do you think I should shower?" Nick continued, lifting one arm to sniff himself as he turned to look at Natalie. Though, seeing the expression on her face he faltered, slowly lowering his arm. "…What?"

"Your t-shirt is drenched in stinky sweat and you're asking if I think you should shower…"

"Do I have enough time?" Nick fretted, glancing towards the clock with a groan.

"If you don't stand around singing about what a massive penis you have--"

"Fine, I'll sing about your massive tits," Nick muttered, turning to head up the stairs.

"And I'll tell Alana about what you were doing in my bed!" Natalie fired with disgust, throwing the blanket at him with an infuriated squeal.

"You invited me into your bed!" Nick fired back, ducking to avoid the blanket as he whirled around to stare at her. "Would you get off your fucking high horse already?!"

"If you'd stop hopping around on your marvelous-penis-pogo-stick!"

"What the Hell is that supposed to mean?"

"It just sounded good you asshole with a sex god complex!"

"Why are you attacking me?! Damnit, you wanted that fucking kiss the other night just as much as I did--"

"The Hell I--" Natalie sobered. "As much as you did?"

Groaning, Nick leaned against the wall, raking a hand through his platinum locks. "Nat… I shouldn't have done it, okay? But it was storming and I needed to feel someone and you looked so--"

"So when you told me that you don't ever think about what would have happened if we hadn't been drunk; that you wished something else could have happened between us--"

"Why are you dragging that up now?" Nick whined in disbelief.

"Because I want to know," Natalie insisted, glancing up at Nick perched so stilly on the stairs. Folding her arms beneath her breasts, she maintained a stern lock of their gazes, not wanting him to flee away from the situation. "Alana's going to be gone a lot even if she is home--"

"I used to think about it, okay? But that was before I met Beautiful. Happy? Have I successfully inflated your precious ego now?"

"But this past month you--"

"This past month we've been alone too damn much, alright?"

"So you still think about it--"

"Goddamnit, Nat--"

"What?!"

Nick sighed, tearing his gaze from hers when she moved towards the stairs. "Don't you have anyone else in this world to go annoy now? In case it escaped your notice, my fiancée's coming home, I have to shower--"

"She's my best friend and she wants to see me as much as she wants to see you. She's also invited me to stay here, so I don't want to annoy anyone else in this world. So, go get your damn shower and I'll dress your damn kid," Natalie growled, hurrying up the stairs.

Flipping her off behind her back, Nick followed her, peeling the sweaty t-shirt from his body as he rushed to the master bedroom. Pausing to listen for Zachary's cries as Natalie went into the nursery, he was relieved when he only heard Natalie's soft murmurs over the monitor. Shucking his jeans, he raced across the room to gather clean clothes, glancing at the clock with a growl of frustration. Alana would be home soon, which would set everything as it should be.

Hearing the start of the shower followed by the locking of both bathroom doors, Natalie rolled her eyes as she gently settled Zachary on her hip and walked to his dresser filled with clothing. The little boy babbled softly at her side as he clutched his mother's t-shirt, gnawing it along with his fingers in a slobbery mess. Though, Natalie's mind was on the man currently scrubbing himself in the shower. Feeling her cheeks tinge red at the mere thought, she peered into the dresser drawer. "Your mother loves you in blue, so I guess we should make you wear that, huh?"

"Maa," Zachary cooed with excitement.

"I put the blue jumper she bought for him in the crib!" Nick's voice projected from the bathroom as the shower abruptly ended.

"And that means what to me?" Natalie huffed, though she closed the dresser drawer just the same. Placing Zachary on the changing table, she leaned into the crib to snatch the jumper from the crib. Turning, she noticed that Zachary had flipped in order to chew on the railing, halfway before toppling. Cursing, she hurried back to keep him from falling. "I can't wait for your mother to get home so I can stop babysitting you and your father."

"Stop being so fucking bitter," Nick hissed from the doorway as he stepped into his son's room, jerking the zipper of his jeans up before raking a hand through his damp hair. "God, does JC know you get this bitchy over a kiss?"

"It wasn't just a kiss," Natalie growled as she lifted the leg of the diaper to assure that Zachary was still dry and clean. Satisfied, she hurriedly dressed him in the light blue jumper, snapping the buttons at the crotch before lifting him up. Fussing with his lightening locks, she read the phrase - Let me tell you, teething bites. "Could she be any more adorable?"

"Not at all," Nick promised, reaching around her to smooth the front of the jumper. Smiling at Zachary over Natalie's shoulder, he leaned close to offer his son a quick kiss on the cheek. "And it was just a kiss, nothing more--"

"The hell it was just a kiss!" Natalie interrupted with a screech of disbelief, handing over Zachary so she could duck away from his closeness. But, when he shifted Zachary to rest over his shoulder, her spite fueled. Turning back to him, she grasped a handful of his shirt to pull him close. Breathing in the spicy scent of his cinnamon breath, she felt the heat of his body fuel a burning at the pit of her stomach. Without warning, she crushed her lips against his, easily parting them with her tongue to gain entrance to his mouth. Tasting the sweetness of him, she moaned softly with appreciation, nibbling at his tongue to draw him closer. Feeling his low moan vibrate their roll of tongues, she pulled away. "Nothing more, huh--"

"Maa!"

"Beautiful!" Nick wheezed in shock, whirling around to see Alana standing in the doorway. Ignoring Natalie's huff of indignation, he darted across the room to sweep his fiancée up against his chest, pressing his lips against hers in a passionate greeting as Zachary continued to squeal with excitement.

"I was kind of hoping for that greeting at the doorway," Alana murmured in surprise, curving an arm around Nick's neck in hopes to intensify the kiss. Feeling his tongue gently part her lips as means of an welcoming entrance, she tasted the faint remains of a fruity lip-gloss. The same kind that Natalie wore every day over her lipstick, convinced it was a good luck charm. Immediately pulling back in surprise, Alana glanced over Nick's broad shoulder to see Natalie watching them closely, hand pressed to her chest. "Was there some rowdy infant party that you two needed to break up?"

"Snot Sucker wanted a quick snuggle," Nick explained with a light blush tinting his cheeks, wincing when he licked his lips and tasted Natalie's lip-gloss. Quickly wiping his lips with the back of his hand as Alana took Zachary into her arms, he glared at Natalie over his shoulder.

"So y'all just climbed into the crib for a big squeeze huh?" Alana mused skeptically, though she kept her tone light and airy as to not upset her son. She cooed toward him as she held him out for a moment, smiling when he thrust his arms out in order for her to bring him closer. He had grown so much over the weeks. Able to fully support his head on his own as a series of squeals and babbled words exploded from his mouth. The expression of excitement lighting up his face while he kicked his legs excitedly. "How you doing sweetheart?"

"Maa!" Zachary squealed with excitement, arms curling around her neck to hold her tightly when she finally pulled him close for a hug. "Maa, Maa, Maa!"

"I missed you too, Sweetness," Alana promised with a heartfelt coo, layering his face with soft kisses, blowing raspberries when he started to giggle. It felt good to have someone greet her with enthusiasm, not guilt.

"How was your flight?" Natalie inquired, stepping forward to embrace Alana quickly. Upon feeling the tenseness in her friend's body, however, she quickly stepped away, glancing worriedly towards Nick as Alana's attention remained on her son.

"The flight was fine," Alana assured them while Zachary buried his face into the crook of her neck, blowing the wettest raspberries she had ever felt. Lightly tickling underneath his arms, she listened to him squeal though he continued his torture. Smiling as she rubbed Zachary's back with a deep maternal affection, her smile seemed to fade when she looked to Natalie and Nick. The expressions on their faces - so guilty, so nervous. What had they done?

"I'll go get your laundry in the wash," Natalie offered suddenly, dropping a quick kiss on Alana's cheek before slipping out of the nursery. Once in the hallway, she sagged against the wall, drawing in several deep breaths in order to calm her racing her heart. Hot tears of guilt flooded her eyes as she headed downstairs, wondering how she could ever look her best friend in the eye again.

"I wrote a new song while I was away. Alex would really like to work on it today, providing you didn't have any plans for us. And, judging by the looks of things, I guess it'd be alright if I go over. I wanted you to hear it, but you look kind of busy," Alana murmured toward Nick, suddenly having no desire to look at him. She had been so thrilled about coming home, actually misty-eyed when the plane had touched down. AJ had teased her mercilessly, but she had been so incomplete without Nick and Zachary in her arms. Exhaling a hard breath, Alana nuzzled Zachary's neck for a moment. "Want to grab a tubby with Mommy real quick, Zachie?"

"Beautiful, I'm not busy--" Nick began, his heart skipping a dreadful beat when Alana turned to leave the room. Mentally cursing Natalie, he headed after her, each excited babble from his son causing his heart to fill with even more dread. God, what had he done? Stepping into the master bathroom, he moved to pick up the damp towel from the edge of the tub, wishing Alana would look at him. "Can I grab a tubby with you too?"

"I tasted Natalie's lip-gloss on your lips," Alana announced, her voice void of any hostility as she carefully balanced Zachary on her lap. The growing infant was first to notice the roundness her stomach was starting to take, cooing in surprise as he fussed with the tank top to lift it in inspection. She allowed him to do so as she leaned to adjust the water to a comfortable temperature for her and a safe temperature for Zachary. Satisfied, she let the tub begin to fill while helping Zachary from his clothing. She made sure to keep her gaze concentrated on the little boy, just wanting to hear Nick's words instead of the lies his soulful eyes would weave. "What were you two doing?"

"Huh?" Nick answered dumbly, carefully rolling the damp towel up before placing it in the hamper. Gulping as he floundered for an excuse as to why his lips tasted like Natalie's, he stared at the pattern of the light brown wicker hamper, nervously chewing on his bottom lip. "Oh, my lips were chapped and I borrowed her chapstick stuff 'cause I couldn't find mine…"

"And you looked so utter guilty because…?"

"Beautiful, I'm Nick Carter… I'm always guilty of something."

"And that's your catch-all no matter what you do, huh?" Alana guessed, reaching for the yellow rubber duck off to the side of the large jacuzzi tub so Zachary had something to gnaw on. Holding her breath, she finally glanced up at her fiancé, deciding that she could give him the benefit of the doubt. If he told her nothing had happened between him and Natalie, she would believe him. She trusted him with her heart. All of her heart.

"I'm always in trouble," Nick sighed, turning to face her, surprised when his eyes were able to meet hers. "It's great to have you home, Beautiful. I really missed having you here by my side…"

"You did?" she whispered hopefully, feeling her heart flutter momentarily.

"I was miserable without you," he admitted softly.

"I think I cried every night that I wasn't curled up next to you," she confessed, deciding it was easier just to let his absence of calling slip as well as the blunder in the nursery. He always had a way of getting himself into trouble with the most menial actions. She was just being overly jealous.

"I had to burn two copies of your song for Snot Sucker, we listened to it so much," Nick informed her, moving to sit on the edge of the tub.

"And what about you?" she asked, stopping the water halfway in the tub. Leaning over, she retrieved Zachary's personal bath tub that sat inside the large tub to protect him. Pulling his diaper off and settling him into the seat, she cooed as he immediately began to splash happily. Gently ruffling his locks, she turned slightly to look at her fiancé while slowly removing shoes and socks.

"I watched your video…" Nick trailed softly with a smile.

"The part at the end when you proposed?" Alana guessed, offering her own small smile when her fingers brushed delicately across the back of his hand while making sure to keep an eye on Zachary.

"And the parts where we were holding each other in bed," Nick confirmed, turning his hand so he could catch his fingers within his.

"I missed you so much, Handsome--"

"I missed you more--"

"Then show me," Alana insisted softly.

Nick's eyes widened in disbelief, unable to ascertain whether she was serious or not. "With Zachary right in front of us? Won't that warp him or something--"

"I mean kiss me like I'm not some stranger or you're trying to hide why you're so damn guilty," Alana groaned, pushing him away before peeling off her tank top.

"You should clarify these things," Nick hissed as his arm snaked around her waist, pulling her down into his lap. Once she was settled over his legs, the fullness of her body pressed against his gently, he slid his hands up to cup her face, breathing in her scent as a tendril of her soft hair tickled his fingers. "I love you, Beautiful… So much," he breathed before catching her lips in a soft kiss.

The moment she felt his lips slide over hers; all the passion she had pent over the tour began to flow. Lost for a moment as to what she should do, she felt his tongue start to slide over her lips to remember her taste. Shuddering with appreciation, she wrapped her arms about his neck and tangled her fingers in his platinum locks. Her lips fought a smile beneath his kisses when she realized he had been growing his hair. Fighting a soft moan, she nipped at his bottom lip before allowing his tongue entrance. Slowly, she rolled her tongue against his in an erotic wave, pulling him closer while Zachary babbled happily behind them.

"'Lana? Are the clothes in this duffel bag dirty or clean?" Natalie bellowed from downstairs.

Groaning with disbelief, Alana pulled back from her heated kiss with Nick. Cupping a hand over her mouth, she carefully shifted off Nick's lap. "They're clean," Alana answered before gazing at her reflection in the mirror, reaching behind her back to undo the clasps of her maternity bra. She had promised Zachary a tubby with her.

"You want me to bring them up--"

"Just leave them, I'll get them later," Nick interrupted hastily as he pulled Alana's bra from her arms, dipping his head to place feather-soft kisses between her breasts. "Do you have to go to AJ's today?"

"Are you going to offer me something to change my mind?" Alana inquired with a soft purr, leaning to close the bathroom door from any unwanted eyes, making sure to take Nick with her. Letting her lips gently fall over his face in the sweetest of butterfly kisses, she dropped her hands to undo the buttons of her jean shorts to drop them to the floor.

Nick smirked, leaning her against the door as he brought her legs around her waist. "Charge is aching to--"

"Maa!"

"I suppose Zachie's pleas of tubby-time will have to do," Alana trailed with a playful sigh, leaning to press a kiss to her fiancé's lips before maneuvering away from his embrace. Dropping her bikini briefs, Alana carefully stepped into the warm water, taking Zachary into her arms before discarding the infant tub.

"What do you say we put him down for a nap, sent the Gnat out somewhere and get back in touch over the rest of the afternoon?" Nick suggested, raking a hand through his hair to calm his heated body before moving to sit on the edge of the tub once more.

"I think I'd love you for eternity if you made that happen," Alana murmured softly, reaching for Nick's hand that was gripping the lip of the tub as tightly as possible. Carefully, she pried his hand from the tub, bringing it down to feel the firm rounding of her stomach.

"…How am I supposed to get him to sleep when he's so excited?" Nick questioned with a smile, curving his fingers against her stomach. "Wow, Beautiful… You're getting big--"

"I feel huge," she admitted with a small laugh, helping Zachary splash in the water as he babbled excitedly to his duck, insistent on sharing the news that his mother was home. "And they are definitely squirming all around in there."

"Wish I could feel them… You're not huge, though. You're gorgeous, Beautiful," Nick promised, leaning down to offer her a quick kiss.

"You'll be able to feel them move soon," Alana assured. "And Zachie won't like it one bit, 'cause they definitely don't like anyone on my stomach."

"Snot Sucker'll get used to it," Nick promised softly, leaning to kiss his son as well.

"He also has to get used to a new puppy, which we have to pick up from Alex's as much as you don't want to go. I'm seriously craving a hot fudge sundae with a lot of cherries, so we can pick up Radar and then get some ice cream… Are you getting in?"

"Why don't we send the Gnat to get Radar and we can go get ice cream?" Nick suggested. Anything to get Natalie away from the house for a while. Leaning back up, he reached to pull off his t-shirt.

"You just don't want to see Alex," Alana mused, leaning down to blow a raspberry against the side of Zachary's face when he started to gnaw on her arm.

Nick shrugged as he stood to remove his jeans, turning to climb into the tub. "So what if I don't?" he muttered, settling behind Alana so she was cradled against his chest.

"Just an observation," she murmured lightly, leaning back against Nick for protection while she helped Zachary splash some more.

"What do you say to a family dinner at the Ivy after ice cream?" Nick offered, sliding his arms around her middle to hold her close. Nestling his chin against her neck, he smiled as Zachary splashed with excitement.

"I don't know, Handsome…" Alana trailed with a sing-song note to her voice, bouncing her feet to create more waves for Zachary to smash. "That's a celebrity hot spot and I'm definitely starting to show… Do you really want the image of Daddy Carter instead of sex-pot Carter?"

"Daddy Carter is much more interesting to me than the boring man whore," Nick returned, nibbling gently at her neck.

"Then how's Daddy soon-to-be-married Carter?"

"Even better," Nick promised. "And you know what's the greatest of all?"

"What's that?" Alana questioned, tilting her head so she could look at him.

"Daddy and Husband Carter."

"Mr. and Mrs. Carter."

"You're not going to do the whole celebrity gig and keep your name as it is now?"

"…Did you want me to do that?"

"I want you to do what you want to do, Beautiful…"

"I want to take your last name--"

"You do?" Nick breathed in surprise.

"Of course I do," Alana murmured, not understanding why he was so mesmerized by the idea. "You're going to be my husband, which means I'm going to give everything within me to you. I want to take your last name and create the family you deserve. Not some broken pieces of a family..."

"Alana Moore Carter," Nick murmured, tilting his head to offer her a gentle kiss. "I like it…"

"Just Alana Marie Carter…"

"I love it," Nick promised, wrapping his arms tighter around her.

"So, you're happy?" Alana hoped, tilting her head to press the softest kisses underneath his chin.

"The happiest man on earth," Nick assured her, his body tingling from her kisses.

"I love you so much, Handsome, so why don't you pick a date soon."