- Text Size +
"Nattie! What the Hell are you still doing here?!" Howie screeched in horror when he stepped out of his office in the studio building that he and AJ had finally completed renovating and furnishing. They had put their label on the map with Alana's name backing the quality of their work and the studio had been finished in her honor. Alana was due to show up at any moment, having scheduled a few hours of recording before her obstetric appointment later in the day. She had been working on a new song in Kentucky with the help of Brian laying down the music and had expressed her eagerness to show Howie the results. He was just relieved that she hadn't completely abandoned the idea of singing after Nick's fatal mistake. Though, he considered she might rethink those very thoughts as he watched Natalie dashing around the studio putting last minute touches on her details. She had set up the entire studio specifically for Alana. Assured that expensive bottles of water and one bottle of icy Pepsi were available in the fridge, fluffed pillows to perfection, found her favorite flowers for bouquet arrangements, and even bought massive quantities of her favorite snacks and candies. Desperation was a moot term at this point. "You know she's going to be here soon!"

“I just want everything to be perfect for her!” Natalie cried as she reached to fluff the pillows on the couch once more. Worrying her bottom lip between her teeth, she stooped to adjust the vase of lavender roses on the coffee table.

"Well, Nattie, it'll be far more perfect if you're not here," Howie tried to explain gently, reaching to grasp her upper arms to pull her away from fussing with the semantics of the lounging room just outside the actual studio room where recording would take place. He couldn't even imagine the type of explosion that might occur if Alana walked in and saw Natalie. The sound of her voice when she stated how soon she would be arriving was harrowing to say the very least. She seemed to have done everything but deal with the pain and anger of Natalie and Nick's egregious error.

“Can't I just go hide in the office?” Natalie suggested meekly, wrinkling her nose as Howie ushered her towards the door. All she wanted was a chance to see Alana. Was that too much to ask? “I won't make a sound, you'll never know I'm there--”

"Yes, I will know that you're there and AJ will know that you're there. Which means that Alana will know that you're there. That man has been dancing around with an erection for the past twenty-four hours. He thinks now that Nick's history that he's going to get a piece of tail. So, I have to make sure that he doesn't gain anymore leverage," Howie muttered with a disgusted shake of his head.

“You could always post a naked picture of me somewhere he'd see it... He always said that my body turned him off in so many ways--” Natalie cut off with a grunt when Howie pushed her into the corridor.

"It's time to leave, Natalie," Howie insisted.

“You know, this sneaking around you're making me do is--”

“Howie? Are you in here?”

Natalie's eyes widened when she heard Brian's loud call from the end of the corridor, where the entrance and lobby was. “What's he doing here?” she hissed towards Howie, wondering why he had neglected to tell her that the man was coming to the studio.

"I'm not sure…" Howie trailed, furrowing his dark brows in confusion. He struggled to remember if Alana said anything about Brian coming to the studio with her. Sure, she had mentioned that Brian had helped her with the background music of her sound, but not about him… "Boy, are you in trouble, Nattie…"

“Is this the part where you make me hide under a desk or something?” Natalie questioned worriedly, glancing down the corridor to see Brian already heading in their direction. “'Cause these khakis don't have but so much give in them--”

"You know how you say that you absolutely loved how you and Alana watched Pirates of the Caribbean together and we able to have a sexual adult conversation with each other instead of 'oohing' over scary pirates with, Bay?" Howie hurriedly explained, not even bothering to wait for her to nod. "Well, I'm making you walk the plank! Good luck!"

"Howie!" Natalie shrieked in shock when the door was closed behind her, preventing an escape. Turning, she furiously pounded on the door in attempts of gaining entry, but Brian had already descended upon her. Holding her breath, she pushed the wisps of burnt auburn bangs away from her eyes. "Brian--"

"Hey, Nat," Brian murmured nonchalantly, moving to open the door so he could enter quickly. He had beat Alana upstairs while she was greeted by AJ at the door. The man was so pent on mauling her that Brian assumed he could get a few moments alone with Howie for a private conversation. Halfway through the door and he finally realized who had been standing beside him. Whirling around, his jaw dropped slightly ajar at the sight of Natalie. She looked so different in a pair of loose-fitting khaki pants paired with an elegant mocha button down top, giving just a peek of her warm tan skin. "You look gor-good..."

“You look good, too,” Natalie replied softly, automatically reaching to pluck a dog hair from the sleeve of his button down blue shirt. Lifting her eyes to his, she quickly pulled her hand away when she saw his cerulean eyes darken. She had overstepped the bounds. “I'm sorry...”

"Nick probably loves your new look," Brian guessed, knowing he should step through the doorway and slam the door in her face, but he felt like he was glued to the floor. He couldn't believe the transformation in her. The simplicity of her clothing only seemed to make her far more appealing to him. Hell, she was gorgeous in anything, especially with the light layering of her shorter light brown, wavy locks streaked with honey highlights and simple touch of makeup to her elegant face.

“I haven't seen Nick in a long time,” Natalie admitted, allowing her fingers to gently brush over his hand before stepping away.

"And how am I supposed to know that's the truth?" Brian questioned blatantly, rubbing his hand as if she had stung him, though the passion that flowed beneath was harder to contend with.

“Ask Howie, he never lies,” Natalie whispered, blinking back the stinging tears that leaped to her eyes.

"Don't you dare act like the victim--"

“I'm not, Brian. I'm just stating a fact,” Natalie interrupted gently, reaching into her pocket for her keys. “I'm sorry you had to see me. I know you don't want to. I'll go--”

"There's not a day in my life that doesn't pass where I don't wish that I could see you just once, what I don't want is the hurt that comes with seeing you," Brian corrected, disappearing inside the studio before tears could slip down his pale cheeks.

“I love you,” Natalie whispered as the door swung shut, never expecting him to hear her as she turned to leave.

*~*~*

Leaning over, Howie made a slight adjustment to one of the levels on the board as Alana sang in the recording room. Pushing AJ back slightly so he could reach the correct knob, he ignored the younger man's grunt of frustration, focusing solely on the purity of Alana's voice as she practiced her newest song before they laid the track down. “Does the bass sound a little hollow to you, J?”

"Al has been gone for a week in Kentucky, she comes back wearing a skimpy tank top showing her growing tits and a short little pair of shorts, and you're asking me if the bass sounds like what?" AJ growled in a great air of skepticism, raising his dark brows at the absurdity of the question. Leaning back in his leather chair, he could only grin while watching Alana in the sound-booth, playfully blowing a kiss toward her when she glanced up. Though, his thoughts were significantly deterred when Brian kicked the back of his chair. "Damnit, B, what the fuck are you still doing here, anyway?"

“I'm here for moral support, you supreme horny jackass,” Brian returned with a casual shrug, taking opportunity of AJ's moment of irritation so he could move his chair closer. In the process he pushed AJ away from the soundboard, ignoring the man's snorts of disapproval. His real reason for staying, aside from just wanting to be near Alana and keep AJ's advances at bay, was to see Zachary when Leslie came. Zachary's appearance was to be a surprise, and he had learned of it from Howie, who had talked to Leslie earlier.

"Like she needs moral support when she has me around," AJ decided with a strong scowl, climbing out of his seat when he realized he had been removed from the management area. Walking to the small fridge, he retrieved a bottle of water from inside, moving to open the sound-booth door, knowing he wouldn't be spurned by Alana.

“She locked it when she went in,” Howie reminded him with a chuckle.

"You poisoned her against me in Kentucky, didn't you, Bible Beater?" AJ accused of Brian, tapping on the glass in hopes to trigger her attention.

“I'd never do such a thing to one of my closest and best friends,” Brian gasped in mock horror, though he offered Howie a secret grin.

"You want a piece of the morsel that is Al--"

"Beefing up the vocabulary?" Howie inquired, though he hurriedly pulled his headphones on to make some more adjustments.

“Perhaps I've already had a piece of the morsel that is Alana,” Brian returned with a saccharin sweet smile, reaching for the spare set of headphones.

"Please, Holier-than-thou wouldn't dare touch my territory," AJ snorted in the utmost cynicism, though he critically eyed the man in his place.

"Y'all going to tear away from this pissing contest so I can get a run through of this song down to see if you guys like it?" Alana suddenly called, popping out of the sound-booth to take the water from AJ's hands, looking to Howie with hope.

Glancing innocently from AJ to Brian, Howie offered Alana a smile. “Sure thing, Sweetie--”

"Thank you, Daddy D," Alana cooed, gesturing for AJ to open the water for her before she could go back to the booth. "And, I may not know much about the soundboard, but if you're going to talk about me, you might want to switch it so I can't hear what's going on while I'm inside. Especially when you're talking about taking pieces of me."

Brian paled considerably, hoping she did not think he had been about to brag. “Alana, I--”

“Mr. Dorough? There's a Miss Carter and guest here to see Ms. Moore,” the receptionist's voice interrupted through the intercom. “Shall I allow them back?”

"Send them back," Howie agreed when he triggered the intercom, looking to Alana. "Guess we didn't get much time to record this song, huh, Sweetie?"

"The penis competitions seem to take up the largest amount of time, but I do enjoy them so," Alana sighed with an air of playful enthusiasm. "Les probably has Mike driving because she tends to get a little excited when you talk about the twins… So, Lord knows what she'll do after the ultrasound…"

“Probably start begging for twins of my own,” Leslie announced from the doorway with an exuberant giggle as she shifted Zachary on her hip. “And Mike is driving, but he opted to wait outside--”

MAA!”

"Zachie!" Alana breathed in honest surprise, never expecting that Leslie would be able to take Zachary for the day so she could visit with him. It had been over a week since she had seen the little boy and the mere realization was painful enough. He looked as if he had grown so much in such a short amount of time. His wispy locks were lightening to a caramel brown and growing thicker with the faint touch of a curl. His little legs kicked furiously against Leslie's hip when he continued to call for her. His large cobalt eyes electrified while his hands jutted out in order to reach her. But, for some reason, Alana hesitated on reaching out for him. "God, he's so big…"

“Mama!” Zachary squealed hopefully, leaning closer to her. “Mama! D'es!”

"You are far too irresistible for words," Alana breathed, clearing the lump of a sob building in her throat. Leaning over, she buried her face into the side of his, placing the sweetest of kisses to his cheek till he squealed with excitement. Feeling his hands tighten in her locks, she had no choice but to lift him into her embrace. Pulling her cast arm out of the sling, she dropped it to her side, supporting him with her good arm before leaning to hug Leslie as well. "I missed you too, Les."

“Missed you more,” Leslie murmured as she returned the hug. “You all finished here?” she questioned. Before Alana could even reply, she pulled away slightly to glance at Howie. “Mike's got the car double parked and we have reservations for twelve--”

"That means your time with us is officially spent," Howie decided before Leslie could lament her woes any further. Alana had just gotten back from, after hearing Brian's forlorn tale, had been Hellish to say the very least. She needed to have time to bond with Zachary and Leslie - the little family that she had left since Nick and Natalie's deceit. Chuckling softly when he watched Zachary babbling excitedly in Alana's ear and Brian move to interact with them both, he was still amazed at the way Zachary shifted to assure that he remained close to Alana, though he blew a kiss to Brian nonetheless. "Just give me a call when you get back to your place to let me know how you like it. Then I can also tell you about this week's plans. Okay, Sweetie?"

"Sounds good to me, Daddy D," Alana murmured with a nod, pressing a kiss to his cheek when he did the same to hers. She then looked to Brian, who was making the most atrocious faces toward the tyke in her arms. "Hey, I'll see you and Boogie back at my place later, okay? Make yourselves at home, even if I don't know what home looks like. And… Pick up Radar for me at Alex's place, please?"

“Sure thing,” Brian promised, puffing his cheeks with air as Zachary giggled with glee. Blowing a raspberry against Alana's cheek, he pretended not to hear AJ's grumbles of protest. “Have fun, okay?”

“See you guys later,” Leslie called as she headed out the door.

"Thanks for everything," Alana reminded the men once more, hurriedly pressing kisses to each of their cheeks before following Leslie's exit. She had to grin while Zachary babbled so happily against the side of her face, holding tight to her as his other hand sought to play with the necklaces she wore. Cooing softly to him, she wasted no time reaching to kiss Leslie's cheek as she waited for the elevator. "Mike didn't mind coming?"

“I told him he had two choices... He could either stay at Nick's house and not be allowed to beat the crap out of him, or he could escort the two most beautiful women in California around for the afternoon,” Leslie explained, looping her arm through Alana's to keep her close. To say she had missed her friend was an understatement. “Besides, he loves me to death, I love you like a sister, so you're practically a sister to him. And right now, he really doesn't want to be around Nick.”

"What did Nick do to you this time?" Alana inquired when they stepped into elevator. She tilted her head to rest it upon Leslie's while Zachary continued to babble, assuming that both women were enchanted with his wise conversational techniques. But, Alana worried about the younger woman tucked tight to her side. Leslie was an emotional person to say the very least; she wore her heart on her sleeve and outwardly expressed what she as feeling. Alana admired that about Leslie, knowing sometimes it was harder to display one's emotions than bottle them.

“He's just being a jackass as always,” Leslie sighed. “He keeps wanting me to trick you into calling him, or go back to his house and not tell you--”

"You wouldn't do that…" Alana trailed, though she stiffened immediately at the thought. Nick was close with his siblings; well, half of them anyway. He was the eldest brother and had a lot of weight to throw around. He could easily coax them into doing his bidding and she had no desire to see him. She feared for his life if she came into contact with him. "And he doesn't know where I'm living and he doesn't know where we're going today, right--"

“Well...” Leslie interrupted with a slight whine. “He kind of knows where we're going, but he doesn't know which doctor--”

"He wouldn't be stupid enough to even think about…" Alana let her voice trail to the inevitable conclusion when the two walked out to Mike's awaiting car. He was already hopping out of the driver's side in order to open the back door to help Alana with Zachary. She smiled appreciatively toward the man, reaching to hug him gently before allowing him to tuck Zachary into the car-seat.

“Who's the cutest little boy there is, huh?” Mike cooed as he strapped Zachary into the car-seat. “Who is that, huh? It's my little Zachary, isn't it? Yes it is!”

“Is that a hint that someone wants a child?” Leslie questioned with a smirk towards Alana as she moved to sit in the back.

"I've got two brewing inside that you can have in… Oh, four more months?" Alana offered, pulling the seatbelt over her growing abdomen while Mike shut the door for her. No sooner had she secured herself and Zachary was reaching for her hand once more. Satisfied with his chubby fingers curled around her hand, he thrust it to his mouth for several loving kisses. "Someone's been teaching you well, Zachie…"

“He won't have a thing to do with Nick,” Leslie informed as she leaned over to offer Mike a sweet kiss once he was behind the wheel. “At least with me, he doesn't fling food everywhere and scream so loud that everyone's eardrums rattle...”

"Why are you giving your Daddy such a hard time, Zachie?" Alana inquired of her son softly, wanting to avoid looking to the front seat where Mike and Leslie's hands had intertwined so lovingly. It reminded her of what she had been forced to give up because of such a dark betrayal that she could hardly think about it without setting off another rage of panic attacks through her system. Gently, she allowed Zachary to hold her damaged fingers, using her good hand to play with his lightening locks.

“Because his Daddy is a self-centered, egotistical, pain-in-the-backside--”

"Who wants you to call him because, to quote the bastard, 'those twins are half of his and he needs to know what you're doing with them,' Als," Mike murmured, glancing up into his rearview mirror in order to look to her. "He told Les to make you call him, but she didn't feel comfortable, so… I just thought you should be ready. I don't know what kind of stunts he's going to pull."

"You can tell him I have no problem sitting between our lawyers and drawing up papers for joint custody," Alana murmured, biting down hard on her bottom lip to keep from reacting violently.

“You should make him sign his rights away. The stupid damn stunts he's pulled, you have enough proof that he could be considered unfit for even monitored visitation,” Leslie decided.

"He may be a shitty fiancé, but he's a wonderful father… I can't deny him his children, not if he wants to be involved in their lives. I know all too well what it's like not to have a father in my life, much less a father that even wanted me. Nick loves the twins," Alana answered softly, helping Zachary reach for a rattle that had fallen between his legs.

Leslie glanced suspiciously at Mike. “You didn't tell Nick where we were going today, did you?”

"Excuse me?" Mike immediately defended with question, looking to Leslie. "What made you ask something like that?"

“I was just making sure. After all, you were alone with him for fifteen minutes while I got Zach ready--”

"What were you two talking about for fifteen minutes?" Alana immediately inquired as they pulled into the restaurant's parking lot.

“I believe my first words to him were something along the lines of he'd better not have the guts to even think about asking me to do him any damn favors, and after that he sat on the couch and sulked,” Mike explained, offering Leslie an offended glance.

"Sorry, Mike," Leslie immediately apologized, dropping her chin with embarrassment. She didn't mean to accuse Mike of such an atrocious act, but she worried about Alana. If Nick had somehow found out where they were going and met them there, then Alana would never trust her again; which meant that their relationship would be severed. Leslie couldn't let the closest person she had to a sister go that easily. Not because of Nick's foolish mistakes.

“It's okay,” Mike promised softly, leaning over to kiss her gently once he had parked. “You're being protective of Als, I know. I find it cute...”

"Down-right adorable," Alana drawled, easily unbuckling Zachary with one hand. Helping to untangle him from the straps, she was grateful when he leaned toward her, making it easy for her to retrieve him with on arm. Fumbling with the handle with her bad hand, she grunted slightly with pain, but it opened nonetheless. She was starting to feel claustrophobic in the usually spacious car. But, that was because of the sweetness Mike and Leslie exuded. It just made her miss Nick.

“Stop kissing me in front of Als,” Leslie hissed softly, patting Mike's cheek gently before climbing out.

"You kissed me first," Mike immediately defended, stuffing his keys into his pocket before hurrying to catch the women walking to the restaurant. He made a causal surveillance of the area, knowing it was likely that Nick might be lurking. This was Leslie's favorite place to dine after all.

“If he shows up, he's dead,” Leslie warned, reaching for his hand as they were shown to their table.

"If you two are so worried about him showing up, we don't have to stay and eat. I can certainly be dropped off at home to get my car and then I'll just go to the appointment by myself," Alana offered, not wanting to inconvenience the young couple. It wasn't their troubles. She had made the decision to cut off ties with Nick and insisted that he leave her alone. He was stubborn. She knew that. And, she couldn't help but hold an air of nervousness about her while she settled into her chair, allowing the waiter to place Zachary in a highchair.

“He won't show,” Leslie promised.