- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm in such a giving mood, I decided to update with two chapters tonight. ;-)
"Jungle Boogie Boy!" Alana called out with a bright smile when she saw Baylee walking timidly down the hallway holding onto his father's hand. When the boy caught sight of Alana, he dropped his father's hand and waved a hurried goodbye. Attempting to rush over to her without losing his breath, Baylee reached out his arms for her. She eagerly met him halfway and scooped him up to kiss his flushed cheeks. He had requested to be dressed nice for his date tonight. So, Brian had dressed Baylee in a pair of khaki shorts and a light blue and white striped polo shirt. Knowing this night was important to both toddlers, Alana had even made sure that she dressed appropriately. She had straightened her strawberry blonde locks to fall in a golden curtain down to the small of her back. Her lips were touched faintly with her favorite lip gloss. She had dressed in a pair of short khaki shorts to accentuate her long, silky legs and matched it with a light yellow, off the shoulder, sleeveless shirt that exposed just a hint of her bare midriff. She had even picked up a new, pretty dress for Elizabeth to wear, her mother nearly in a fit of tears when she saw what Alana had done for her little girl. But it was those sincere gestures that made Alana feel alive. Setting Baylee on the floor, she reached for the contents she had been holding. "Ready for your date, Sweetheart? I've got the bandana wrapped in this pretty box and here are the roses you wanted. Lizzie's waiting inside."

"Thank you, 'Lana," Baylee cooed, one hand reaching up to smooth his wayward curls. Huffing several breaths into his hand, he made a face, wanting the night to be perfect. "My breath otay? Daddy go 'nuggle wit' Knot," he insisted, clutching the roses to his chest as his father tucked the box under his arm so he would have one hand free. "Want'a go in alone…"

"You treat her right, y'hear me? Like I always taught you, Scooper. Women are precious jewels, each one to be admired and loved for their special sparkle," Brian reminded his son, reaching to press a kiss against Baylee's forehead. Upon his son's confident nod, Brian released him, reaching to hold open the door as Baylee walked inside. Craning his neck, Brian watched Elizabeth stand from the small children's table to greet Baylee. She wore a sunny yellow sundress with a light blue bow wrapped around the waist. A pretty crown of yellow daises that Alana had fashioned together sat atop her bald head. But she couldn't look more beautiful and Brian choked down a sob, sending a prayer to God that both children would be okay.

"I'll get you plenty of pictures," Alana promised as she reached to rub Brian's back with encouragement.

"Alright. Thanks a lot, Alana," Brian murmured, lingering for a moment to watch his son greet Elizabeth.

"Hi, Lizzie," Baylee murmured shyly, smiling as he reached for her hand. Remembering the manners his father had taught him, he slowly bent over, pressing a quick kiss to the back of her hand. Straightening, he grinned at the girl, holding out the roses. "Red woses for passion!"

Elizabeth wrinkled her nose in confusion as she stared at the flowers then the back of her hand. She immediately glanced to Alana for help, who gestured for the little girl to hug Baylee. Grinning appreciatively, she took the small bouquet and placed them on one of the chairs, then reached to hug Baylee. "What passion?"

"Uh… I dunno," Baylee admitted, hugging her tightly. Feeling the box drop to the floor, he groaned. "Wait! I gots 'reset for you!" he cried, backing up to retrieve it. Flushed, he wiped the bright paper with his hand, making sure it hadn't gotten dirty. "'Ere!"

"Thanks a lot, Alana," Brian murmured again, knowing his son would be okay. Giving her a gentle hug, he quickly released her, heading down the hall slowly.

"See you in a few hours, Brian," Alana called cheerfully, leaning against the doorway as she watched Baylee take Elizabeth to the loveseat for them to sit. Making sure she was comfortable first, he then climbed up to sit with her, helping her open the present. She had to laugh when Elizabeth's large doe eyes widened at the sight of the yellow silk bandana, Baylee immediately grinning toward Alana with thanks when Elizabeth kissed him. Satisfied with the childlike love blooming between the toddlers, she fixed herself to go inside, till hands sneaked around her thin waist. "Lord help me if it's AJ…"

The hands paused for a moment, fingers lightly stroking the bare skin showing above her shorts before pulling her back against a familiar body. One hand left her waist for a moment, only to appear in front of her holding a large bouquet of lavender and sky blue roses. "Guess you don't need God's help, huh?"

"Nick…" Alana trailed softly with an even softer sigh. Grasping the large bouquet in her hand, she brought her fingers up to caress the silky petals of the beautiful flowers. She had never seen such a beautiful mixture of roses before. Nor had she ever seen the richest of colors that he so diligently provided her. Feeling tears gently slip from her gorgeous teal eyes, she kept her back pressed against him, far too afraid to turn around and meet his gaze. What did he honestly think he was doing? Catching her unaware and so very puzzled about her life. She had been happier, at least she thought, when she figured he was just angling for sex, though a tinge of hurt always fell upon her heart when she assumed as much. But, unfortunately, he was starting to prove her wrong. And God help her, she thought, she was starting to fall in love with this man.

Confused by her near-silent reaction, Nick pulled her closer, kissing the top of her head. Breathing in the scent of her shampoo, he smiled slightly, watching her fingers lightly touch the roses. Though, he wished she would say something. "…Did I get the wrong colors? I can go get some different--"

"No… God no… They're beautiful… The perfect color… Thank you," she whispered, her sentences drawled long with a homey southern comfort.

"You're welcome--"

"Nicky! Dis a private 'mantic dinner!" Baylee squealed from inside the waiting room, where he was attempting to assist Elizabeth with her new bandanna. Though the silk kept slipping through his fingers, he was diligent in his task.

"Apparently you haven't been invited," Alana chided to Nick, though she never glanced back, merely entering the room. Delicately setting her flowers on a spare chair, she then moved to help Baylee with Elizabeth's bandana. Though, she assured him that he did most of the work if not all of it.

"We eat now?" Elizabeth questioned hopefully, holding one hand to her stomach. Turning to look at Baylee, she grinned. "'Lana gots my favorite!"

"Cat boogers and dog snot?" Nick questioned from the doorway with a smirk. "Or is it dog boogers and cat snot?"

"EW!" Elizabeth shrieked, her nose wrinkled with disgust. "No, Nick!"

"That's really romantic, Nick…" Alana trailed as she grabbed the plastic containers of dinner. Instead of going out to a fast food restaurant to pick up something for the children to eat, Alana had taken the time to fix dinner for them. She had done so many times for Elizabeth when she trudged through Chemotherapy, refusing to eat anything. It had broken Alana's heart to see the child so emaciated. So, she went home and cooked a fury of food, making sure everything was delicious to the nauseous child's palate. And, ushering the children to their table, Alana opened both of their containers for them. She had made home-made macaroni and cheese, lightly seasoned lemon-pepper green beans, and breaded chicken fingers on bamboo skewer sticks for festive entertainment. "How's that look to you, Lizzie?"

"'Licious!" Elizabeth squealed, giggling behind her hand when Baylee rushed to pull her chair out for her. Smiling at her friend, she thanked him with a quick kiss on the cheek, her large doe eyes gleaming with joy when his face flushed a deep red as he moved to his own chair. "T'ank you, Bay," she murmured.

"Welcome's, Lizzie," Baylee promised, hurrying to his seat so he could see what he would be eating. He immediately licked his lips with hunger at the pleasurable aroma floating in the air. "'Lana, this gonna be good! We got's drinks?"

"Of course," Alana answered, grabbing two juice boxes of Fruit Punch. Hurriedly pushing the straws into each, she set them on the table, both children hurriedly digging into the food. Satisfied that it was good, Alana reached for another container on the counter with larger portions. "Hungry, Nick?"

"Oh yes," Nick hurriedly answered, eyeing the container as his stomach growled loudly. Moving to the sofa when Alana motioned to it, he watched Baylee lean over to tuck Elizabeth's napkin in her lap. Smiling at the innocent beauty of the two children, he glanced towards Alana, then back at the children for a moment. Picturing himself a little older, with the young woman by his side and two blonde children nearby on a quiet evening at home, he felt his heart rate increase, a lump form in his throat. Alana thought he was only after sex, and, at first, that was his intention. But he couldn't deny, especially to himself, that the woman had stirred something in his heart. Something he had long ago thought was impossible.

"Good thing I packed extra then," Alana decided as she gave him the container and silverware. When he popped the top and hunched over the coffee table to eat, she had to smile. Somehow, in the deeper recesses of her heart, she knew that he would show up. He never seemed to stay away. Content with that thought, she slipped off her Converses and tucked her legs beneath her as she sat down with a cold soda.

"Bay'll wipe out all the macaroni. The kid's like a little Hoover around it," Nick pointed out, waving his fork over towards the boy. "I think he inherited Brian's appetite… Aren't you going to eat?" he asked incredulously as she sat there looking at him. Licking his lips clean, he raised one eyebrow. "You're not one of those women who starves themselves, are you? 'Cause believe me, it's cool as all Hell when a lady knows how to chow down, like--" his cut off abruptly when a startling belch erupted from Elizabeth.

"'Scuse me!"

"Like that," Nick finished with a chuckle as the girl continued to eat.

"Calm down Lifetime Movie of the Week, I ate while I was cooking up a storm for these two and I'd rather wait for my dessert," Alana assured, rolling her eyes as she leaned over to steal a chicken finger from Nick's container to nibble on though she didn't want to prove anything. In fact, she rather would have stated that she kept a healthy appetite so she could continue to pursue her wild adventures and activities such as ATV racing, horseback riding, rock climbing, riding rapids-And a variety of other sports that would probably cause Nick a heart attack though he had yet to mention that afternoon.

"What's for dessert?" a raspy voice questioned from the doorway.

Whirling around, Nick's jaw dropped when he saw the elaborate bouquet of crimson red roses. Passion. Snorting, he glanced to his own arrangement, which suddenly seemed paltry in comparison. Scowling at the older man, though he could barely see his face, he wondered if AJ planned on ruining his life or if it simply happened that way. "This is a private dinner for--"

"JJ!" Elizabeth squealed, already halfway across the room. "Bay's got me woses! And a 'danna! An' we eatin' chick'n an' mac'n'chee an' beans an' juice--" Pausing to draw in a deep breath, she wrapped her arms around AJ's leg, holding tight. "You 'tay? Eat 'sert?"

"I really hope those roses are for Elizabeth," Alana drawled as she stared at the lithe Latin man stooping in the doorway to affectionately kiss Elizabeth's cheeks before scooting her back to finish dinner. He then called an elaborate hello to his 'Snot face' and allowed his eyes to fall upon her. The sultry grin spreading across his ruggedly handsome face actually caused a faint blush to spread to her cheeks. The man had all but thrown her onto his shoulder that day and ravaged her in the public bathroom. In fact, he had spent most of the day following her around in the hospital, bringing up silly conversations that just caused her to laugh. She had enjoyed the company.

"These are for my little Lizzie," AJ explained, extracting a small cluster of bright yellow roses from the center of the mass he held. Setting it on the coffee table, he held out the rest of the roses to Alana. "And these are for the most beautiful nurse in this hospital."

Baylee leaned over, gently poking the back of AJ's knees. "You f'got t'say the most bootiful nurse wit' the biggest boobies, JJ!"

"Thank you for letting him know that I have the biggest breasts, Baylee. It's not like he couldn't figure that out on his own," Alana sighed as she covered her hand over her face to hide the deep crimson touch to her flaming cheeks. Though, AJ didn't let her stay that long as he grabbed her hand, pulling her up so she could accept the forest of red roses. "So, I'm just the most beautiful nurse in this hospital, huh? Did you do scouting elsewhere?"

"Babe, after seeing you, I knew that nobody could even hope to compare," AJ murmured with a slight bow, transferring the roses into her arms. Leaning close, he pressed several kisses on both her cheeks, grinning as she pulled away. "I'm sorry I'm late… I had to go to all four florists to get all the roses--"

"FOUR?" Nick choked against his food, throwing the container onto the coffee table as he vaulted to his feet. His entire body was tense with disgust as he pointed his fork accusingly toward AJ. "You wiped out the only four florists in this damn town for flowers?!"

"For Alana," AJ confirmed with a nod, hiding his pleased grin. "And I had to wait at the last one for the delivery truck to come with more--"

"Thank you, AJ," Alana hurriedly interrupted as Baylee and Elizabeth's eyes grew wide with Nick's colorful vocabulary. Accepting the roses, she leaned to press a quick kiss to AJ's cheek and then to Nick's cheek as she gathered his roses. Ducking underneath the sink, she located two empty vases. Filling them with water, she placed the flowers in each, though some of AJ's had to be tucked in with Nick's. "The roses were very sweet. Thank you both… How about dessert?"

"Whipped cream and handcuffs?" AJ questioned hopefully, slinking behind Nick to flop onto the sofa. Leaning back, his arms draping along the back, he released a satisfied smile when Nick grumbled under his breath, flopping into the opposite chair.

"That'll be next time," Alana laughed, pulling a plate of fresh cut strawberries from the fridge and a large bowl. Setting both on the coffee table, she motioned for Elizabeth and Baylee to come over for desert. Sitting beside AJ on the sofa, she pulled the top from the bowl to reveal a creamy white dip. "This is something my Momma made when I was younger whenever we got strawberries picked. It has cream cheese and marshmallow cream spread mixed together. Absolutely delicious," Alana explained as she dipped the first strawberry for Elizabeth, then for Baylee, and then one for AJ, offering it to him.

Leaning close, AJ slowly licked some of the dip off the strawberry, letting his tongue flick across Alana's fingers. Allowing one hand to rest casually on her bare leg, he gently sucked the strawberry into his mouth, nibbling at her fingertips before sucking one finger into his mouth with a lascivious grin.

"My doggie Tyke does that to Daddy's fingers when he feeds him a treat. Only, Daddy gets bloody fingers and curses," Baylee announced to Elizabeth as he licked the sweet dip from his strawberry.

"Oh dear God…" Alana whispered in honest shock, her skin prickling with awareness as AJ slowly sucked the strawberry juice from her finger, lapping his tongue in circles over her delicate finger. She hadn't expected him to be so blatant with his attraction to her, nor did she expect him to take the strawberry from her hand with his mouth. At a loss for words, she glanced to Nick.

Sucking gently, AJ released her finger, licking his lips slowly as he leaned back. "Can I have another?" he requested huskily, his fingers lightly tracing Alana's kneecap as he propped one foot on the coffee table.

"Yeah, get off your ass and dip your own," Nick growled as Alana leaned to grab a small paper plate. Having Elizabeth and Baylee gather the strawberries they wanted and fixing some dip in the middle, Alana smiled as they hurried over to watch the movie she had in for them. Sprawled on the floor, they cuddled close to share, but Nick's eyes watched as AJ's dark eyes roamed the length of Alana's body. His blood began to boil as he saw AJ reach to touch, quickly reacting by letting his foot catch AJ's ankle.

"You little--" AJ yelped, jerking his leg away as he turned to glare at Nick. Swiftly kicking his foot out to make contact with Nick's shin, he smiled in victory, his hand returning to its trek to touch Alana's thigh as she settled back next to him. Quickly pulling his legs from Nick's reach, he shifted closer to the younger woman, letting his hand press against her warm skin. His other hand reaching to make an adjustment, he shot Nick a warning glare before lightly stroking Alana's inner thigh. He wasn't worried about Nick. The man never could stand up to a true challenge.

Feeling AJ's fingers brushing her inner thigh with warm strokes combined with the pained expression in Nick's dark blue eyes caused an unsettled feeling to wash over her body. Tensing, she reached to grasp AJ's hand, holding it up as if she were inspecting the expensive jewelry layering his hands. She didn't want to hurt either man, though her heart lingered over Nick's hurt far more than AJ's hurt. Not that she understood why. Both men were after one thing, both demonstrating that quite clearly. "The detail on these rings is amazing. Silver has always been my favorite for jewelry. That yellow gold is just way too tacky, y'know?"

"Yeah," AJ agreed, twining his fingers with hers. "Silver is sexy--"

"What about white gold?" Nick intervened, pushing himself from the chair and stepping over AJ to sit at Alana's opposite side. He couldn't just sit idly by while AJ swept into the place that Nick so desperately desired. Having been fueled by Alana pushing AJ's fingers away from her sweet thigh, he extended his hand toward her to show her the most recent ring he had purchased. Fiddling with the white gold ring, he showed the intertwining print of seahorses engraved into the gold. "I think that has more appeal then cheap silver."

"That's gorgeous…" Alana approved, reaching with her free hand to run her fingers delicately over the engraving. "Seahorses. They're one of my favorite sea creatures. Besides Orcas and dolphins… I've never been to the ocean…"

"Dolphins!" AJ yelped, pushing his other hand over Nick's. Extending his pinkie finger, he tilted it so Alana could see the dolphin ring he had purchased recently. The light in the waiting room caught the diamond eye, gleaming softly. "I love dolphins, Alana. And I'll be more than happy to take you on a trip to see the ocean…"

"But he can't take you scuba diving or surfing," Nick tempted, sensing from seeing her rock climbing stunt that she was an adrenaline junky. It would make sense, considering her occupation was nursing. Though, he truly didn't like the idea of endangering her life, he had to try something.

"…I think I should be watching the kids and you two should be eating the strawberries," Alana concluded, feeling slightly claustrophobic.

*~*~*

"Baylee-I'm sorry, Dr. Littrell," Natalie corrected when Baylee shot her a scowl. Tugging consciously on the hem of her white skirt, she glanced across the hospital room to see Brian lounging on the bed. "Are you sure that nurses dress like… Like this in surgery? …Wouldn't their legs get cold?" she questioned, frowning down at the skimpy outfit she wore.

Heaving a sigh, Baylee followed Alana across the room to scrub his hands thoroughly. Looking over his shoulder to see George waiting on the small operating table, he assured himself that his best friend was going to be alright. Turning his attention to Natalie, he grinned. "Daddy picked it out, Knot. I tol' him I wanted you to be a nurse!"

"I just want you two to know that you set back nursing as a profession at least a hundred years with that degrading outfit," Alana announced as she showed Baylee how to wash his hands for a surgical procedure. With the surgery coming up in just three short days, Alana decided it was best that she show Baylee how it might be. Buying him a pair of children's surgical blue scrubs and wearing a pair herself, she wanted everything to be real as possible as they operated on George the Monkey. Reaching for a towel, she dried her hands profusely and showed Baylee how to do the same. Then, gathering the surgical hats to place around their heads and then pull the gloves onto their hands. Taking the tray of supplies, she walked Baylee toward the operating table where George lay with a oxygen mask over his face running pretend medication that would make him sleep.

"Well it ain't like I picked it out," Natalie defended with a scowl in Brian's direction as she washed her hands carefully.

"Daddy said he wanted a f'ee peep show," Baylee disclosed to Alana with a loud stage whisper. "He said Knot might bend over and he'd get to see--"

"Scooper!" Brian scorned. "Concentrate on your surgery!"

Rolling her eyes as she snapped on her gloves, Natalie stepped over to assist Alana with preparing the supplies. They had gone over the entire routine earlier as Baylee had napped, Natalie not wanting to be completely incompetent. With a glance at Brian, she smiled slightly, remembering his kiss earlier in the day, which had sent her reeling. Clearing her throat, she returned to her task as Baylee stepped onto the stool at the table.

"George is already sleeping, Dr. Littrell. We gave him some special air through that mask on his face to make sure that he won't feel anything that we do and so he'll sleep through the entire surgery," Alana first explained as she gestured toward the oxygen mask. "So, now we need to clean his chest off. Ask Nurse Natalie for a sponge."

"Gi'me a sponge, Knot," Baylee requested, holding out his hand.

"Yes, Dr. Littrell," Natalie murmured, placing the sponge in his small hand.

"Normally, the sponge is going to stain your skin orange, which makes sure no bugs in the air can get inside your body. But, since this monkey is already orange and the sponge isn't wet, we don't have to worry," Alana explained as Baylee rubbed the dry sponge over George's chest. Once he was done, Alana threw it into the trashcan. "Now, Nurse Natalie, can you give me the scalpel."

Handing over the instrument, Natalie watched with rapt attention as Alana carefully made the incision in the monkey's chest. Lifting her gaze to check on Baylee, she realized he was clutching her arm tightly, holding his breath as he stared. "It's alright, Bay-Bee. Dr. Moore has made sure that George is completely asleep. He's not feeling a thing," she promised softly.

"He's dreaming about Simba and Elizabeth, I bet," Alana promised as she set the scalpel back onto the tray, gently poking her fingers into the cut she made, she pulled out a bit of stuffing that was differently colored from the rest. Stuffing she had been holding in her fingers when she poked inside. "Ah! I found it. There's the bad stuff that was making George sick!"

"Bad stuffing!" Baylee scorned, his flaxen brows furrowed as he watched Alana dispose of the offending fluff. "Nurse Knot got good stuffing?"

"Does Nurse Knot have good stuffing, Dr. Moore?" Natalie questioned with uncertainty, causing Brian to chuckle softly from the bed.

"There should be a stuffed red heart on the tray. We're going to give George a brand new heart," Alana answered, turning slightly to show Natalie her smiling teal eyes though her mouth was covered with a mask.

"Knot make good stuffing at Chri'mas, 'Lana. Her cook it all day, an' last year I made sure her did'n' use the box crap that Daddy hates," Baylee informed, watching Natalie transfer the red heart from the tray to Alana's hand. "An' Knot made a red velvet cake that Daddy said was better than sex--"

"Scooper!" Brian groaned, his face flushing deep red with embarrassment.

"What?!" Baylee exclaimed as he leaned over to kiss the heart, helping Alana tuck it inside George.

"Don't tempt Daddy with things he can't have," Alana explained, glancing back to Natalie. "Can I have the needle and thread, please?"

"Knot tie George up?" Baylee requested, chewing nervously on his bottom lip. "Her's fixed his tore arm before an' you can't tell it… Please, Dr. 'Lana?"

Before Alana could reply, the door flung open, knocking against the chair behind it as a tall man filled the doorway. Scratching his chest as he muffled a yawn, Kevin glanced around the room, his brows furrowing when he saw the surgery taking place in the center of the room. "What the Hell's going on here?!"

"KEVIN!" Baylee screamed with dismay as he stared at his cousin's rumpled and almost definitely dirty clothing. Hopping down from the stool as Alana switched places with Natalie, Baylee lumbered over to Kevin, prepared to strike. "YOU'S 'TAMINATING THE ROOM! OUT! OUT! OUT! NOW!"

Kevin backed up quickly, remembering all too well how the little boy's temper was. "Alright, alright! Just calm down, Bay! What's happening in here that I might… 'Taminate the room?"

Baylee released a growl of frustration, shooing the older man back into the hall. "George have surg'ry! Him's heart bad an' we fixin' it! NOW, OUT!"

"Well! Hello to you, too, Kevin! I missed you something fierce!" Kevin fired out in the hallway as the door was slammed in his face. "Glad you left your wife at home with the fertility monitor to see how I was doing--"

"I better go talk to him before the media finds out about his pregnancy woes," Brian grimaced, rolling off the bed. "Let's close up George."

Nodding, Natalie bent over George, waiting until Baylee had resumed his post before beginning the small stitches. Hearing Baylee's labored breathing, she worked quickly, knowing he was beginning to get tired. Though the medication and care were doing wonders, his heart was failing fast. Whispering a quick prayer as she finished the row of neat stitches that weren't the slightest bit noticeable, she straightened, cutting the thread with a breath of relief. "He's sewn up, Bay-Bee."

"D'ank you, Knot!" Baylee cooed with excitement, glancing up to Alana. "All done?"

"All done… He just has to sleep away the medicine," Alana murmured, pulling the gloves from her hands and the rest of the donning material that was needed for the surgical unit. But Alana's mind was elsewhere as she stared at Natalie and Baylee working so hard on George as they tucked him into bed for sleeping. She accounted for the way that Baylee's hand curled around Natalie's wrist as he reached to be held. Natalie immediately scooped him up and he curled close into her arms as she adorned him with sweet kisses. She was most definitely Baylee's mother, no matter what DNA testing stated. And it was a painful reminder of what she was lacking, especially as Baylee requested for Natalie time and time again. Just proof that she was no longer a mother. No longer needed to a child at every moment of the day.

"You need to thank your Dr. 'Lana," Natalie murmured to Baylee as he leaned to give George another kiss. Glancing over at Alana, Natalie could sense the heartache swimming in the dark teal eyes, her own heart constricting painfully when the woman turned away to dispose of her gloves. Setting Baylee on the floor so he could rush over, she headed to the door, stepping into the hallway. "Mr. George Monkey is resting comfortably after his surgery," she announced with a smile, moving to give Kevin a quick hug. "He's in recovery now, but the doctors expect a full recovery…"

"She's been watching too much ER," Kevin chuckled as he swept Natalie off her feet for a quick squeeze, affectionately kissing her cheek, breaking away from his conversation with Howie and Brian. "I've missed you, Nat! And I hear sparks are flying between you and the little cousin. I'm so happy for you. Honestly. He deserves a great woman."

"Speaking of great women, how's Kristin?" Natalie questioned, squeezing him tightly before he set her down. She honestly did not want to discuss the sparks that were allegedly flying. Especially when she and Brian kept their distance. Not daring to glance at Brian, she kept her attention on his older cousin, blatantly aware of Howie's presence in the hallway. She hadn't seen him since her drunken debacle several nights before, and was too embarrassed to look at him either. "You had any luck making me a baby to spoil rotten?"

Kevin grinned. "I think you were trying hard enough to do that with Howie--"

"Is nothing sacred?" Natalie questioned with a sharp groan, turning her light caramel glare on Brian.

"Howie told him, not me, so get that ugly glare off of me!" Brian growled, gesturing toward his shorter friend.

Rolling her eyes, Natalie turned back to Kevin. "Tequila was involved, so get off me."

"That's what I told her," Howie mumbled.

"Oh, please… Like he wasn't groping me from the moment he walked in the bar--"

"Do you mind not saying that in front of Brian?!" Howie squealed.

"Well you went and bragged to his cousin about everything else! It's not like I told him you had your hand down my pants--"

Howie sharply gasped as Brian's hand clenched his shoulder. "HELLO!"

Natalie shook her head. "Bumpkin," she chided softly, grasping his free hand and tugging him away from Howie. "No fighting… Now, I'm going inside to get into some real clothes. Why don't you go down and get lunch with Kevin and Howie?"

"Because… You… Him… He… And you… I…" Brian growled with frustration as he cupped her face within his hands. Needing to assert his romantic feelings for the woman, he pulled her close for a hard kiss. His tongue probed softly against her lips, which eagerly parted to give him entrance. Grinning when he felt her knees buckle slightly, he persisted with the deep kiss, sucking on her tongue before slowly releasing her. "No more Howie."

Natalie's eyes fluttered dramatically as she reached to hold tight to his shirt. "No more--"

"Damnit, AJ!" Nick whined as he chased the older man down the hallway. "Why were you flirting with those nurses?!"

"Why the Hell would a young, virile, very sexy man like myself flirt with young, hot, very sexy nurses, Nick?!" AJ shot back, darting behind Kevin so he could secretively tuck the slip of paper into his back pocket.

"You said all those women were dogs compared to--"

"Baylee's inside sleeping with an IV running, Brian," Alana softly announced as she slipped into the hallway, gingerly easing the door closed behind her. Turning, she immediately shoved her hands in the back pockets of her blue scrub bottoms. She hoped there were no remnants of tears, having furiously scrubbed her face in the bathroom after Baylee fell asleep, though her necklace with the mysterious silver ring hung out from her scrub top. Not that it mattered as she became overly self conscious, six pairs of eyes staring at her.

"'Lana! You have to meet Kevin," Natalie insisted softly before either AJ or Nick could take a step forward to claim her attention. Looping her arm through Alana's, she drew her over. "This is Brian's anal-retentive, smartass, know-it-all cousin Kevin. Kevin, this is Baylee's wonderful, sweet, loving, attentive, gentle nurse, Alana."

"Anal-retentive," Howie repeated with a snort of laughter.

"Smartass," Nick added with a smirk.

"Know-it-all," AJ echoed, grinning with amusement.

"Pretty much my 'cuz in a nutshell," Brian summed up with a twinkle of merriment in his eyes.

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Kevin, despite all the flaws they've listed," Alana teased good naturedly as she caught his emerald eyes, reaching out to shake his hand. When his hand met hers, she smiled, though glanced longingly toward the opposite end of the hall. She had been hoping to get outside for a little horseback riding or ATV riding before the rain started once more.

"So, babe," AJ began, quickly slipping between Natalie and Alana. Smirking slightly at Nick's displeased scowl, he casually draped one arm around her shoulders. "Want to show me around town this afternoon?"

"I would really enjoy showing you around town, AJ, but I really do have some things to do this afternoon," Alana apologetically declined as Kevin motioned toward Brian to let him know he was going in to see Baylee. Obviously wanting to get away as well, Howie offered to join. Smirking, Alana glanced sideways to Natalie who shrugged helplessly. "Besides… It's supposed to rain…"

"I won't melt," AJ promised softly.

"No, but shit floats," Nick remarked.

"And apparently it's about to hit the fan," Natalie sighed, leaning up to kiss Brian's cheek. "I'm going to change--"

"Ran late at your stripping gig, Nat?" AJ guessed.

"You should know, you were the one who kept begging me for just one more lap dance," Natalie returned.

"She does have a nice ass…" AJ trailed, though he glanced to Alana. "You should borrow her costume. You'll need to take it in at the waist-Ow! Damnit, Nat!"

Natalie glared at him. "For your information, my waist is the same size as Alana's. Maybe if you'd take your attention from a lady's chest once in a while, you'd notice things like that."

"She's a lot more toned than you are, Nat--"

Wincing when the argument broke out about Alana's body compared to Natalie's body, Alana decided it was time to leave. Slipping easily from AJ's embrace, Alana ducked toward the exit, motioning for Brian to call her if problems should arise. The man grinned and nodded, waving her away before falling back into a trance with the heated argument. Shaking her head, Alana hurried down the hall, slipping into the locker room to retrieve her messenger bag. Fiddling with attempting to find her keys and walk out, she gasped softly when she crashed into a dormant force. Glancing up, she found Nick's indigo eyes. "Stalking your new hobby?"

"Hobby?" Nick repeated dumbly, reaching to tuck a stray lock of her strawberry blonde hair behind her ear. Letting his fingers trail her cheek in a soft caress, he smiled slightly. "You're not a hobby, Alana…"

"Maybe just a fad?" she guessed ruefully, finally retrieving her lanyard of keys from the bottom of her messenger bag. Ignoring the feeling Nick made with his fingers over her cheek, she slid the bag onto her shoulder. Ducking around him, she moved for the elevator, reaching to press the button only to have another hand reach out and get it for her. "Walking me to my car, Nickalicious?"

"Maybe I'm walking you to my car?" Nick suggested, resting his chin on her shoulder as they waited.

"Why would you walk me to your car?" Alana inquired, fighting to hide a smile as she turned her head to whisper the words against the side of his face. She inhaled the sweet scent of his cologne and had to release the smallest of sighs. It felt so good having him so close to her.

"Other than the fact you left your sports bra in there and I thought I'd give it back to you?" Nick murmured, letting one arm circle her waist. Everything always felt right when he was holding her. As though he were meant to have his arms around her. "I--"

"Nick, Kevin wants to go over the set list for the show," Howie interrupted as he walked up. Glancing over his shoulder at AJ and Natalie, who were still arguing, he heaved a sigh, grateful that Brian's attention was no longer on him.

"Guess you don't get to taste this flavor tonight, huh?" Alana announced, glancing toward Howie as she moved herself from Nick's embrace. She had been vaguely aware of Howie's statement at the bar, deciding at first that she really didn't care. She had denied herself the pleasure of a man's body for long enough. But, feeling her heart starting to make room for Nick, she became slightly burned by the 'flavor of the week' pun.

"Flavor?" Nick repeated, sending a glare at Howie. "No, wait, Alana, you've got it all wrong. You're not some flavor of the week, you're--"

"Probably good enough for a month," Alana guessed as she glanced to the lingering elevator doors the remained closed. Heaving a sigh, she adjusted her messenger bag. "I think I'm just going to take the stairs. I've got stuff to do. It was nice to see you again, Mr. Dorough."

"Take care," Howie replied with a warm smile, though his smile faded when the young woman slipped into the stairwell. Backing up when Nick turned his glare on him again, he held out one hand in defense. "Don't even start, Nicky!"

"Flavor?!" Nick sputtered with disgust, not knowing if he could even speak another word. His hands curled into tight fists as he glanced to the stairwell, wanting to chase her, but knowing Kevin would have his hide. Usually Howie was the understanding one of the bunch. Yet, he was trying to detonate Nick's potential love life before he even had a chance to screw it up himself.

"That's how you date, Nicky. One girl. One week--"

"Flavor!" Nick interrupted with a scowl, pushing one finger against the older man's chest as he backed up against the wall. "Listen here, you interfering jackass! You can go to bars and do body shots with Brian's little flirt. You can even finger fuck her in the backseat. Hell, for all I care, you can go bang her brains out on the side of a mountain while Brian watches! But don't you ever stick your nose in my business again! Alana is not a fucking flavor, alright? She's different. She's special. I'm falling in love with her--"

"Hey! Where'd Alana go?! I almost had her in the backseat of my rental. I figure with a little more charm she might even let me into her backseat!" AJ cackled with a festive announcement, pulling away from his fight with Natalie as Brian asked her to go to dinner with him. Slapping a hand on Nick's shoulder, completely oblivious to the potential fight breaking, he glanced around. "What's her car look like, Dicky? I need to go catch her."

"Go to Hell," Nick spat, pushing him away. "You just want to get laid."

"Fucking right," AJ whistled with a wicked smile. "And she's the lucky bitch that can lick me clean--"

"Aje, I really wouldn't start this now," Howie interrupted with a gentle sigh, looking helplessly down the hall. Hoping for assistance.

"You son-of-a-bitch, why would she want to lick you clean? Or have you completely forgotten Kaci? Remember her? The love of your life?" Nick scoffed.

"What the fuck do you care? You ain't exactly brewing chemistry with her. What'd you have? Six flowers total in that pathetic display? Honestly, Dicky, I thought I taught you better over the years. Twelve flowers or more and the legs spread like butter--"

"Yeah, sure, you've been a fountain of knowledge, " Nick snorted, shoving AJ away so he could get to the arriving elevator. Turning to glare at the older man, he held up both middle fingers as the doors began sliding shut. "And, just so you know? Alana's legs do more than spread."