- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the sequel to "A New Truth". If you haven't read it, go back and read it!
Don't forget to send your reviews and thanks for reading!
I (?v?) my readers!!!
Every single thing in the room reminded Carrie that her sister was gone, probably forever. Carrie had put up a good face and merely said goodbye, but now she wished she'd told Michelle something more meaningful. She thought she was never going to see her again.
Her insides burned with intense anger at the people who had adopted Michelle. Not that she wasn't happy for Michelle, she was. She really was. She knew that things would start going well for her. But she wasn't so sure about herself. She knew that, at twelve, her chances of being adopted were slim. She thought she really wasn't pretty enough for anyone to notice her and adopt her, not at her age. If only she was ten years younger, things would be different.
But of course, when Carrie was two this nightmare had already been going on. Her parents were already taking very poor care of her, and in just two years they would start taking poor care of her sister, too. At age two, Carrie remembered having to help her father with the building of their house, sometimes nearly crushing her tiny fingers, and she could vaguely remember being yelled at whenever she dropped something.
At age two Carrie hadn't understood why her parents did this. She had, like her sister, come to think that all this was normal and happened in all families. But when she was nine or so, Carrie began to understand things she had never understood before. Like that this wasn't right. And she was the one that would have to free herself and Michelle from the nightmare of a life that they were trapped in.
She'd done that, just three months and two weeks earlier. Carrie could remember perfectly the terror she'd felt when she'd seen Michelle drop to the ground. And the anger that followed when she saw her mother's evil grin. And the satisfaction she got when she talked to the police and they believed her. And the relief she'd had when she'd realized that Michelle was not dead, as she'd originally thought.
All this was over. Now Carrie was alone in the orphanage. Michelle had been adopted by a kind couple and Carrie was now left by herself.
If only she could be adopted, too. Carrie was lonely and sad, and most of all she missed Michelle. The first months had been bearable because she had someone that she knew by her side, but now she was gone, too. And probably happy.
It seemed selfish to Carrie. She wanted Michelle to be happy, she really did. But she wanted to be happy, too. In fact, if it was possible, she wanted to be happy together.