- Text Size +
Chapter 4- welcome to Hawaii

Louise and I stepped off the plane and headed towards the baggage claim, I couldn’t quite believe that I was in Hawaii; I’d always had a fear of flying because I’d never flown before and you hear so many scare stories.
Louise had asked me to accompany her after her friend had let her down.
We found our bags then made our way out of the airport to see if we could find a car to take us to the hotel, after locating a car we got driven to the hotel quite swiftly and were soon unloading all our bags from the boot of the car.
The porter came along and loaded our bags onto his cart then took us inside and showed us to the check in desk.
The hotel was amazing the lobby was mainly marble it reminded me of the hotel I’d seen in ‘My wife and kids’, I looked around my surroundings I saw that across from the checking in desk there were shops and directly across from the hotel entrance there was a corridor that I assumed led to the elevators.
Louise dealt with checking in I had no head for forms and such like. After that had been dealt with we went down the corridor and I was right it led to the elevators, it also appeared to lead to the hotel beach.
We got into the elevator and the porter pressed the button for our floor, we were on the 32nd floor, I was so glad Louise didn’t actually get sick when she went in elevators that fortunately had just been in the dream.
Although the hotel did look like the hotel in my dream, but then I’d seen pictures I suppose they were stuck in my subconscious.
When we got to our floor we discovered we were almost opposite the elevators.
The porter let us into our room and unloaded our bags just placing them in the living area of our suite, I looked around the suite whilst Louise tipped the porter, the living area was painted white and had three sofas that made an unfinished square, in the middle of that was a coffee table and the whole thing faced a cabinet that I assumed had a T.V. in it.
To the right of the door was a bar type of thing, there were three doors, the one opposite the front door was a patio door it led out to a balcony, the door to the left lead to my room and to the right was Louise’s door.
Louise’s and mine’s rooms where the same but reversed, my room had a king’s size bed in it, I knew I would get lost in it, only having had a single bed all my life.
I continued to look round the room, it had patio doors that led out onto the balcony and over by the balcony doors was the type of chair I would expect to find in a psychiatrists office.
Opposite the bed (which was in the middle of the room) was a chest of draws that had a T.V. on it, the bed had bedside tables on either side of it, looking at the room straight on I realised that to my left was a set of wardrobes I dumped my stuff in front of them and saw that there was a door leading into an un suite bathroom.
The door was in the wall that the bed was against meaning that the bathroom was behind the bed.
I made my way towards it and walked inside with my toiletries bag in hand, and saw that the bathroom was just about the right size, it had a nice long counter top with the sink right in the middle, then a mirror stretching the same length, the toilet was hidden behind the door. To my right was a big bath that looked to have hot tub settings, and up the far end of the bathroom was a massive shower.
“Hey Sarah.” Louise said coming into my room.
“Hey, what’s up?”
“Just going to see if you wanted to come shopping with me.” She said sitting on my bed.
“What right now, we’ve only just got in.”
“So?”
“So shops can wait, they’ll be there tomorrow. Besides I need to unpack.”
“Oh please unpacking can wait too.”
“Sure but if I don’t do it now I never will, you know I get distracted easy.”
“I know, but I’ll make sure you do it later.”
“Nup, once I’ve unpacked I’m going to sleep.”
“Oh cause you didn’t get enough on the plane.” She said sarcastically.
“Look I don’t feel like going, I have unpacking to do and I want a rest.” I said sitting down so I was leaning against the wardrobe pulling my suitcase in front of me.
“Okay. Do you want me to get anything for you?”
“Nah I’m good, have fun.”
“Plan too.” She got off my bed and walked out of our suite.
I spent the next hour or so unpacking making sure everything was right, and then climbed onto the bed fully clothed and drifted off.

Two hours later.
I could hear a phone ringing somewhere and it was driving me nuts, I opened my eyes realising that it was my hotel phone ringing constantly. I rolled over to the right bedside table and picked up the annoying phone.
“Sarah!” Louise’s voice yelled through the phone.
“Whoa, why you shouting?”
“What, listen I can’t hear you properly the storm is to loud.”
“Storm?”
“Yeah, I’m in a shop taking shelter apparently it’s going to get worse, I’ll be back when it’s safe.”
“Ok see you later.”
I looked outside and saw the first few raindrops splattering the glass; I got off the bed and undid the balcony door I stood in thought about what to do about the furniture outside.
It took a couple seconds before I started grabbing the furniture and putting it in the main room; I grabbed the chairs from around the table first, and then dragged the table in when I turned around to go back outside, the rain had really begun to pelt down I rushed outside and grabbed one of the sun chairs and pulled at it, my hair was in my face so I dropped the chair and scraped my hair back into a ponytail which was hard with my layers.
After I had dealt with my hair I picked up the chair again and pulled it in I looked back outside the wind had really picked up and the rain was beating down so hard, there was only one sun chair left but I figured I’d grab it when the rain died down a bit.
I locked the living room balcony door and went into my room I pulled the balcony door shut I locked it and grabbed cushions off my bed, and then I changed into drier clothes and sat on the cushions watching the storm.
Half an hour later the lights flickered then went out plunging me into darkness save for the lightning flashes across the sky.
That chair I hadn’t grabbed was being thrown around in the wind like it was a rag doll, I sat and watched the storm progress and the chair get flung around for about an hour before I got up and made some tea.
It was then that I realised that there was no power, so I grabbed a bottle of water and went back into my room.
The storm raged on it was showing no signs of stopping; it again threw the chair around outside slamming it unmercifully against the wall of the balcony.
It had yet to shatter, to break, and to crumble; it almost seemed stronger than the storm.
Lightning flashed cutting a path through the dark night illuminating the turbulent ocean for the briefest of seconds.
Again a flash of lightning splintered down striking a palm tree that cracked in half, the leaves bursting into flame becoming for now the only light on the island.
Heavy raindrops threw themselves down at the ground, vision out of the window becoming harder, almost impossible.
People had long stopped the chaotic pursuit of pulling things in and running for cover, the storm had won that battle.
The sound of the crashing waves was barely audible over the rumbling thunderclaps but every time the lightning flashed the pure destruction the waves were hell bent on creating was evident.
The strong winds got my attention again as it picked the chair up hurtling it against the balcony wall; a bizarre thought entered my head.
I had to rescue the chair.
I unlocked the door and stepped out into the freezing rain, it bounced off me, and it seemed to be coming down with more vigorous energy I was already soaked by the time I reached the chair.
The wind had picked the chair up again as if it was no effort at all, as the chair came towards me I reached out, seized the chair and the battle between the storm and me began.
I started pulling the chair towards the patio doors that led to my room, slipping on the wet floor I was forced to release the chair.
Now fully drenched in rain the battle was getting harder, especially now as the wind picked the chair up again, and was carrying it off over the wall that separated my balcony from the hotel room next to mine.
I clambered up and carefully made my way to the chair; it was hooked by one of its legs to the concrete divider of the balcony.
I un-hooked it but it was caught on the other side.
Lightning flashed all around me as a tug of war between me and the wall went on.
Finally I freed it and I carefully began to move towards my balcony doors, lightning and thunder still went on overhead, but I was concentrating all my energy on getting back inside in one piece.
Half way there I almost lost my footing again but I steadied myself using the chair.
Now at the doors I stepped into my room hauling the chair after me, once every part of me and the chair was in I turned and locked the balcony door, as I did so there was a loud knock at the door.
I moved towards the door and pulled it open realising as it was half open that I probably resembled a drowned rat, but none the less I finished opening the door and there he was.