- Text Size +
'I thought I knew who you were
I see now you were a lesson to learn
And all I am to you now is a bridge that's been burned
'

I fumbled around in my pocket, trying to retreive my phone before the caller hung up. They hadn't.

"Hello?" I asked tentatively.

"Amy?" a voice asked brightly. Mom.

"Hey, Mom." I said, remembering Tony didn't even have my number.

"I heard screaming across the street. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, Mom, its fine."

"That's good," she said. A relieved tone took over her voice. "Amy, I'd like to talk to you when you get home, okay?"

"Is everything okay?" I asked. I wiped my sweaty palms across my jeans. This kind of drama belonged on LD, the site I frequented.

She hesitated. "No. Well... Yeah."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah." she said finally. "Bye honey. See you at home."

"Okay Mom, bye." I said, clicking off the phone, feeling somewhat confused.

"I gotta go," I said, walking to the door. "I'm sorry, guys."

"Wait!" Nick said, causing me to stop. "Just wait til Aaron gets back." I nodded and walked back over. "Hey," he addressed me, rubbing his face with a blood stained towel. "I'm sorry you had to see that."

"It's okay." I dismissed the fact that Nick had been .. fighting earlier.

"Hey, Aaron's here now." Nick told me, pointing over my shouder.

"Why does it matter that Aaron's here now?" Aaron asked, walking in.

"I've gotta go home..." I said.

"Is everything alright?"

"I don't know, thats why I have to go home." I kissed his cheek. "I'll talk to you later."

"Yeah... Be careful." I slowly walked out of the living room, looking back at the archway before walking out the front door.

I nearly panicked at the front door of my house, searching the floor of my porch for my keys. I could of sworn I'd brought them in my pocket when I'd left for the party...Unless I'd dropped them...What if Tony had gotten them?

"Amy?"

I looked up at the open doorway, where my mom was standing in. My heart leapt thankfully.

"Mom! I think I've lost my keys, and there was this dude-"

"Amy, just come inside." Mom said, moving aside to let me in.

"Thanks Mom," I grinned, "It's always nice to be invited into your own house."

She feebly smiled in return and gestured to our new dining room table and chairs. "Sit down,"

Oh crap.

"Amy, I want to talk to you about Aaron," she stated, sitting across from me on one of the chairs and folding her hands pristinely in her lap.

"What about him?" I asked curiously, "I thought you adored him."

"I do -- did -- until I went shopping for groceries and saw this." She said, picking up a magazine and handing it to me. I unfolded it and looked at the cover: It was Aaron, outside a club, a tall, skimpily-dressed blonde girl on his arm. He looked totally wasted. The headline read : "AARON'S WILD NIGHT"

My heart stopped beating briefly as I examined the tabloid from where I was sitting. I didnt want to grab it from her and appear as if I really was worried. I wasn't. It had to be from before we met.

"Mom, what day is that magazine dated?" I asked. Damn my voice for shaking like that.

"Three days ago."

3 days ago? Was that before we met?? "Oh." I said simply.

"I don't want you to get hurt, honey, and I like Aaron, but-"

"But instead of going by what you see you're gonna believe what you read?"

"I didn't say that, honey, but maybe you should talk to him about it before anything serious happens and you get hurt." That does it. I stood up and the table and leaned on it with my hands.

"Mom, I trust him. I love him! And hes treated me better in the past few days than Jack ever could have, and you know it." I grabbed the magazine off the table and turned around to walk out the door.

"Amy!" she yelled. I turned back around where I was, my right hand on my hip. "Just- Be careful."

"I always am." I said, trying to smile at my mom before turning back towards the door and walking out. I was gonna throw out the magazine, but not before I heard the truth. Heard what really happened. I looked across the street and saw that the lights were still on. Taking a deep breath, I walked across the street and knocked on the door, the magazine rolled up in my back pocket.

Nick answered the door when I knocked. "Hey, long time no see!" he laughed.

"Is Aaron still up?" I asked.

"Yeah," Nick answered, moving aside a bit. "Hes been waiting to hear from you since you left." I nodded as I walked in, trying to keep my hand in my back pocket to hide the magazine with my arm. I saw Aaron sitting in the living room, and he jumped up when he saw me.

"Hey, wanna take a walk with me?" I asked.

"Hey! Yeah, sure..." He said, walking with me to the door.

Once we were outside, I saw he was looking at me closely. "Is something wrong? You left so suddenly before." He asked as we walked down the street.

"Well," I said, slowly pulling the magazine out of my back pocket, "My mom was worried."

"Why? Because of the fighting before?" If only.

"No," I unrolled the magazine. "Because of this." I stopped walking and handed it to him. "She said it was dated three days ago." He stood there, silently scanning over the cover.

"Amy... this was taken days before I met you. Tabloids do this all the time." I looked him in the eyes. He wasn't lying. I knew it.

"I know... I just can't stand that my parents keep doing this. My mom likes you, I don't know what her problem is." I tried to contain my anger, remembering what had been going on that day, but I knew it showed. He hugged me tightly and kissed my forehead.

"I know... But trust me, I wouldn't hurt you like that."

"I know... I love you." I said.

"I love you too."

"I'm sorry, but I think I should go home. Its a school night and my parents are already worried about me after what happened earlier...

"Alright..." He kissed me lightly on the lips. "I'll see you tomorrow. I love you."

"See you tomorrow... I love you, too." I walked back to my house and went up to my room, avoiding my parents at all costs, my mind reeling from all the days events.