- Text Size +
"Why?" Aaron asked.

"Uhhh..." Why did I need to call them again? Oh yeah. "I have to call them and tell them that it's alright."

He nodded and sat down on the black and probably scorching hot pavement, Indian style.

Ring. Ring. "Hello?" Julie asked cluelessly.

"Hey, it's Amy."

"Hey!" she exclaimed, her usual hyperness coming back to her. Doesn't she know how to read a caller ID? "Is everything okay?"

I sighed. What do I say?

"Yeah. I'm fine, I just wanted to tell you that I won't be in school tomorrow." I said as Aaron came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist, resting his head on my shoulder.

"I totally understand." I guess Aaron got impatient waiting for me to get off the phone and decided to have some fun.

"Hey Julie?" I asked shakily as I felt Aaron kissing my bare shoulder and going up towards my neck.

"Yeah?"

"I-I gotta go." I told her as Aaron nibbled on my earlobe.

"Okay... I'll talk to you tomorrow?"

"Yeah. Bye."

"Bye." I hung up and turned around in Aaron's arms to see him smirking at me.

"Finally! I was beginning to think you would never hang up." his arms were still around my waist and he was smirking at me and looking into my eyes.

"That wasn't nice." I mock scolded him, smiling as I brought my arms up around his neck.

He ignored my comment and looked into my eyes. "You have the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen." He told me.

"Right back at ya." I said smiling again and looking into his eyes.

He smirked again and leaned in for a kiss. It was amazing. I had never felt so alive. I realized then that I truly did love him. Not puppy love, but the full out head-over-heels-truly-and-deeply-crazy-and-madly Inlove with him. And that one kiss filled with passion beyond belief seemed to last forever.

When I finally came back from my own little episode of "Life on Cloud 9" I pulled away.

"Something wrong?" Aaron asked.

I sighed, "No, I just don't want to be alone..." I said and pulled him into a hug.

All the stress from the past couple of days seemed to come back all at once and pile itself into my chest. The anxiety was so bad that my chest physically hurt. But at the same time it felt empty. No! I thought to myself, You need to stop being so negative, this is one of the bad things that you get from Mom, being a pessimist in the worst of times. Some of the emptiness seemed to lift and I noticed that Aaron was still holding me tight. Then it all went away.

Just as I was starting to enjoy the moment my phone rang, it was my dad.

"Hey dad, how's everything going?"

"Your mom is still sleeping," he whispered. "I'm in the room with her now, she's got some color back and her breathing's back to normal."

I sighed with relief now. I not only got rid of the anxiety, but I felt hope. "That great," I said with a smile.

"But sweetheart, the tests still haven't come back yet..." now it was his turn to sigh. "I don't mean to sound so cruel, but I don't want you to think that everything is fine now, cause it isn't...listen, I'm deffinately going to be here all night," he sighed again, I was beginning think that my family sighs almost as much as the Carter's smirk. "I don't want you to stay home by yourself at a time like this...it's okay with me if you stay over Aaron's, let's just not tell your mother when she wakes up" he said and I could picture his worn smile.

I had to smile. I love my dad so much. And what I loved even more is that he said 'when she wakes up' not 'If'. "Thanks daddy, I love you."

"I love you too sweetie, so much. Just don't do anything a nun wouldn't do, okay?"

I laughed, "I don't know about that..."

"Okay well just keep it PG-10," he said making up some little kids' rating.

"PG-16," I negotiated.

"12," he said.

"14," I replied.

"Deal," he said with a light laugh.

I smiled. I don't know what I would do if Dad didn't keep as calm as he did in bad situations.

"Oh and I called the school already to let them know you won't be in. I'm sure you can have a friend get the assignments for you."

"Thanks dad," I yawned. "Look I'm really exhausted. I'm gonna' try and get some sleep. Goodnight, I love you daddy."

"Love you too honey," and with that we both hung up.

During all the conversation with my dad I didn't realise that I'd drifted away from Aaron, I looked at him and he looked so cute under the newly lit street light.

"Is everything okay?" he asked.

"Well, it's really too soon to tell, but things are deffinately better." I said walking over to him and giving him a soft kiss.

"Well, I guess I'll see you tomorrow then," he said tucking his nose in the nape of my neck.

I smiled. "My dad said that he'd be staying in the hospital all night and that he didn't want me to be alone right now."

He lifted his head from my shoulder and looked at me, "Does that mean?..."

"Yup, I'm sleeping over," I grinned and kissed him again.

We walked into his house holding hands. Then it hit me...would Aaron want me to sleep in his bed...with him?


"Hey, guys," Nick greeted us as we walked in.

"Hey, Amy's gonna be staying with us tonight, her dad called back and said it was alright."

"That's fine with me. If you need anything, Amy, just help yourself to whatever we have," he said looking at me.

"Okay, thanks," was all I could think to say. "Oh, I forgot to grab some stuff from my house before. I'll be right back."

"Want me to come?" Aaron asked.

"No, I'll be fine, I'm just going to get a few things," I said kissing him on the cheek.

I went across the street to my house and went in. Something didn't seem right, but I brushed it off. It was, after all, the first time I'd ever walked into the house alone and after dark, so obviously it was going to be a little spooky, right?

I went upstairs to get some stuff out of my room. I was in my walk in closet when I thought I heard footsteps coming into my room. Okay, just calm down, your just over reacting, no one's here... I got the few things I needed from my closet and rushed out of the room. My heart was pounding in my chest, my head was saying 'Everything's fine' while my instincts were saying 'Get out of there!! NOW!!!' I ran into the bathroom to get my toothbrush and I went down the stairs two at a time to get out of here as soon as possible. When I got to the front door I stopped in my tracks...it was open, but I didn't leave it that way.

Slowly it closed and I saw a man - no, a boy - in the shadows behind it.

"Long time no see, Amy," said the figure. My heart stopped and my hands and knees began to shake.