- Text Size +
I opened the door and Nick was standing there.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked him as I motioned for him to come inside.

"Nothing I was just completely bored out of my mind and was wondering if you wanted to go do something."

"Sounds good, what did you have in mind?"

"Anything, I just need to get my ass out of that house," he said with a smile. "How aboooouuuut dinner?"

My stomach grumbled at the thought of food, I laughed and said, "Sounds good let me go throw something on."

I got dressed, nothing special just sweat pants and a t-shirt, and went downstairs.

"Are you sure Aaron won't mind you taking his girlfriend out on a date?" I joked.

"He doesn't have much say now does he?" he said playing along.

We went to a popular pizza parlor in a small plaza. We ordered a HUGE pizza and where waiting for it to come when my cell rang.

"Hello?"

"Hey! It's Julie."

"I know who you are, what's going on?"

"Oh nothing, but we went to your house and some hot dude is waiting for you," she said sounding excited.

"Hot dude, eh? Doesn't sound like anyone I know."

"You're still out with Nick at the Pizza place right?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Okay good, cuz that's where I told him you were."

"You did what!?" I said in an incredulous whisper. "You told some random guy at my doorstep where to find me!? What is wrong with you?!"

"Relax will you? He looked totally harmless."

"Yeah except for the black clothes, spiked studs, and metal chains!" I heard Gina yell in the background.

"W-What did you say he was wearing?"

"Goth, punk clothes, why?" said Julie.

"I gotta' go," I hung up and looked at Nick.

"What's wrong?" he asked worried.

"We need to leave...NOW," I said getting up.

He followed me to the counter where I cancelled our order.

We went out to the parking lot and just got up to Nick's car when someone called my name.

Nick and I turned around at the same time to see none other than Jack himself jogging towards us.

"Who's that guy?" Nick asked.

"Jack," was all I could say.

"Hey," he said when he finally caught up to us. "You surprised?"

"W-What!? This was the surprise!?" I asked.

"Yeah! Aren't you happy?" he asked.

"N-No! Jack, I've moved on! I have a boyfriend now."

"Who?!" He half-yelled.

"Me!" Nick said stepping in between Jack and me.

"Oh really?" Jack asked. Of all the things Jack was, idiot was not one of them. He could see a lie from a mile away, he was good enough at telling them to know when he heard one. "Then why don't you prove it!?"

I couldn't see Nick's face, but judging by the coy look on Jack's, he was taken by complete suprise.

"Fine," he said confidently. He turned around and gave me a truely apologetic look, but I understood. In order to get Jack away, we needed to convince him that Nick was my boyfriend, cuz like I said, Jack was no idiot, he wouldn't pick a fight with a guy easily twice the size of him.

Nick wrapped his arms around my waist and brought me in for a deep kiss. It lasted longer than I thought, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy every second of it. He pulled away, but I went in for one more peck on the lips. He gave a quick stunned look, but recovered.

Jack glared at us both, apparently, for the first time he had been fooled by a lie.

"Okay fine, I flew three thousand miles to see you and this is what I get!? You with another guy!?"

"Sorry sweetie," I said with a new found confidence. "Your little part in my life is long since over," I gave him a smile and a wave and got into Nick's car, Nick following my lead.

We drove off leaving Jack behind, something that I've needed to do for a really really long time.



The ride home was almost completely silent until Nick pulled onto our street when he asked, "What was that extra kiss for?"

"Huh, what?" I asked confused, I had been thinking about Jack and why he seemed to want me back so badly as to come 3000 miles to see me.

"That kiss, when I pulled away you kissed me again, what was that about?" he clarified.

"Oh....uhhh..." I couldn't tell him the truth, because the truth was that it was spontanious, I just did it without thinking. But it wasn't just something pointless, I had wanted to kiss him again. "Uh...just to..uh...make it that much more convincing."

"Oh...r-right, yeah, good idea." He pulled in front of my house and we just sat there for a minute.

I saw out of the corner of my eye that Nick turned his head to look at me, so I did the same. The moment was awkward, but not uncomfortable...if that makes any sense what so ever.

Nick tore his gaze from mine and looked forward. He gave a huge sigh and said (more to himself than to me) "This is so wrong! You're my little brother's girlfriend, for Christ's sake!"

"W-What?" I asked confused.

He lowered his voice to an ashamed whisper, "That kiss was just a pretend one for you...but it wasn't really for me."

I was floored, but still confused. "I don't quite understand...if you knew you liked me, then why'd you kiss me? Why not just pretend?"

"Well, for one he would've never been fooled by a fake kiss," he said, finally making eye contact with me agian. "And I didn't like you, I-I don't!" he looked at me and tried to explain it better, "What I mean is, I can't like you, you're Aaron's girlfriend! What kind of an older brother like's his younger brother's girlfriend?! I didn't really like you until that kiss, I don't know, there was just something about it..." he trailed off. "Look, I'll see you around, I need to get some sleep."

"I think that we should just forget about tonight and move on, it was obviously just a desperate attempt to get away from my psycho ex." I tried to reason.

"Thanks, but that excuse doesn't cut it for me," he said shaking his head. "I'll see you later, goodnight."

I got out of the car and he pulled into his driveway. I went inside before I saw him get out.

My dad was asleep on the couch, I felt so bad for him. He must be exhausted. I went over and draped a blanket over him and kissed his forhead. Then I went upstairs, took a shower, got on my PJs and went to bed. Thinking, not of my boyfriend, but of his brother...


The morning after I felt terrible. What have I done!? Where's Jack now? I walked in to the kitchen I saw Dad half dressed. He was just standing there, holding the phone smiling.

"...Dad?" I asked gently as I stepped into the kitchen.

"HAHA!" he suddenly yelled out, jumping on the table. Whats he so happy about?