- Text Size +
Dad's face no longer showed signs of fatigue, worry, sadness even, as he stumbled along with his 80's dance moves on the table. He looked...happy.

I pulled him off the table quickly, before he hurt himself. "Dad, what's going on?"

He looked at me quizzically. "What do you mean, honey?"

"What do I mean, Dad? I come into the kitchen and find you scratching up our table with this big idiotic grin on your face. What's going on? Did something happen?"

"Your mother's coming home!" he replied giddily once he was seated on a chair.

I stood dumbfounded. "Wha-what?"

"They gave her something new, a risk, and it worked! She's better!" he shouted, jumping off the chair he was seated in seconds before.

"Dad, that's great!" I felt tears scorch the corners of my eyes, sliding down my face in smooth waterfalls. She's finally coming home. Treated.

He walked over and hugged me tightly. "Why don't you go tell Aaron the good news." he said after he let me go. I was so happy, but at the same time I still felt horrible about what happened last night.

The air was slightly muffled as I stepped out the door, whipping out my cell phone and dialing Aaron's numbers. Even though, technically, he was just across the street. It even seemed like some unknown Godly force had put the lid on a frying pan, blocking up all the oil trying to fly out.

"Hello?"

"Aaron, it's me."

"Who's me?" he asked coyly.

"Me, as in...you know, like, me." I told him, copying his tone. I walked down the smooth cobblestone, turning to walk towards the small park across from the bus stop. It was deserted, but I went anyways.

"I dont know a Me, and I dont talk to strangers, so I'm gonna hang up." He tried to make his voice sound manly and deep, but it came out sounding comedic.

"Aaron! It's Amy!" I laughed. My shoes roamed on independently.

"Oh Amy!" he too laughed, "I'd never have guessed it was you."

"Ugh!" I smiled to myself. "We're breaking up!"

Silence. Then, "Wh- what? Why?"

Silence, and more silence.

Finally, I gave in. "Just joking," I laughed again.

He let out a relieved sigh. "I actually thought you were serious."

"Haha, very funny."

"So what do I owe you the shock of my day and the pleasure of your voice?" he asked.

"I've got good news!"

"What?"

"Mom's coming home!"

"Mom's coming home?" he repeated. "But my mom's in Florida!"

I rolled my eyes knowingly. "My mom, Aaron. My mom."

"She's coming home?"

"Yes!!!! God you are blond!!"

"What makes you think that?" Aaron said sarcastically.

"So... Have you talked to Nick today?"

"Nope. I'm at the studio so I haven't called him yet today."

"Oh... Do you know where he is?"

"If he isn't at home, you should call him."

"Oh. Well, I saw the funniest thing today!"

"Oh? And what was that?"

"My dad, dancing on the kitchen table!"

"Was he wearing clothes?" he asked.

I nodded, then remembered that that I was alone.

I assumed it. "Yeah."

But then I saw somebody limping toward me about 20 yards away, wearing dirty and distressed clothes, his dark eyes on me. A stranger, and he didn't look harmless.

But I stood rooted to the spot. Those eyes looked familiar.

"Amy? You there?" Aaron chirped into the phone uneasily.

I nodded again. Then I shook my head. "I have to go, Aaron."

The man came closer. Nick.

"Amy." he said briefly. I looked him up and down; He was a mess.

"What happened?"

"I've been out and thinking about what happened."

"...All night?" I asked.

"Yeah."

"I haven't told Aaron yet" I busted out with a wave of worry. What would Aaron do when he found out? I'm sure he wouldnt be mad at Nick for the first kiss, since it was to make sure Jack didn't do something horrid, but he'd definitely be mad over the second kiss.

"Me neither," he admitted.

"I'm scared he's gonna hate me."

Nick cast me a look of regret, and grabbed my hand, leading me out of the park. "I'm scared he's gonna hate me too."

"He'll understand... I hope" I said quietly. "If we hadn't, I don't know what Jack would've done..."

"Do we have to tell him?"

"NICK!" I exclaimed, stopping where I was.

"Well... If we do tell him he could hate us both..." Nick paused. "If we don't tell him, it's like it never happened."

"I can't pretend that nothing happened." I looked down at my feet, and then back up at Nick.

"Why?"

"I love Aaron, and those kisses didn't mean anything to me, they where only to get rid of Jack. Keeping it from him would mean that something was there."

"I thought the first kiss was convincing enough..."

"Nick. Was me or you that lived in the crazy world of Jack?" Nick looked away. "Listen, go home, take a shower and go to bed. I'll talk to Aaron." What am I saying?? How am I going to tell Aaron that I'd kissed his brother??

Nick nodded and made his way back home. After he was a bit further down the street, I took out my cellphone and called my dad, telling him I was gonna go see Aaron at the recording studio. I made it back to the bus stop just in time to catch the bus I needed to take.

"Hey!" Aaron called when he saw me down the hall, rushing to meet me halfway. "Two surprises in one day!"

"Yeah... I'm full of those today." I said, once again looking at my shoes. Never had I seemed to find my footwear so fascinating.

"I was worried when you hung up all of a sudden like that." He said, kissing my forehead lightly. I shook my head as we walked back to the room he was recording in. "Did you get ahold of Nick?"

I looked up at the mention of his name. "Nick? Oh, yeah. Bumped into him outside."

"Hes been acting weird lately." Aaron stated simply, taking a sip of water from his water bottle.

"He- he has? Since when?" I was beginning to worry, and my heart was racing. Did he suspect something was going on?

"Since he broke up with his girlfriend."

My heartbeat began to slow down.

Wait, girlfriend? "When did that happen?"

"Two weeks ago. Hes been moping around and sulking ever since."

"I didn't even know he had a girlfriend."

Aaron laughed as he pushed his chair across the mixing board and typed something on the keyboard to the computer on the other side. "Yeah, they didn't exactly go out on the town a lot. It sucks though, he really cared about her." He took another sip of water.

"Wow..." I trailed off, trying not to sound as distracted as I was.

"But I'm glad you finally got him to go out last night. Me and him have been hanging out a lot at home, but its been tough for me to get him to leave the house." Then, he frowned. I guess my attempt to not look distracted didn't work out as well as my try at not sounding it. "Are you okay?"

"No. No, Aaron, I'm not. I need to tell you something, but I don't want to hurt you. I love you so much and I don't want to lose you." Now he was the one who looked like he was panicing.

"What happened last night, Amy? You can tell me." He reached over and grabbed my hand.

"Well, Jack showed up last night after me and Nick had dinner-"

"-He didn't try and hurt you, did he?"

"No, he didn't get the chance. I told him I was seeing someone else, and he asked me who it was. You weren't there, so Nick said it was him."

"Oh." He said, after I paused for a few moments to let it sink in before I went on.

"I knew Jack didn't believe him, so before I knew it Nick-" I sighed. Was I really gonna do this? What would he do? I didn't want him mad at Nick, but what else could we do? I wasn't gonna hide anything from Aaron.

"-Nick what?" He had a very serious look on his face. "Amy, what happened?"

"Nick and I kissed. It was just to get Jack to go away-" I stopped, standing up immediately after Aaron did.

"I understand." He said, he tone completely serious. I'd never heard him sound like that before. Except with Tony. And I wasn't gonna let this end the same way that did.

"You're not mad, are you? Aaron, if Jack wasn't standing right there, it wouldn't have happened. I swear."

"I'm not, and I know." He said, hugging me tightly. "I'm just thankful no one got hurt." Did no one get hurt? Aaron sounded pretty hurt to me. God, please don't let it end like this.

"You're mad, aren't you?" I asked quietly, biting my lip. Of course he was, I'd kissed his brother.

"No... I'm not," he told me. His eyes flickered unconvincingly as he looked at my face.

"Dont lie to me!" I said hysterically. Why was I making it such a big deal? He said he's not! But I knew the answer. He was hurt.

"Listen, Amy," he pulled my arm closer to him so that I looked him straight in the eye. Well, looked him up in the eye since he was about 3 inches taller. "I'm not lying."

"Aaron, you're lying," I accused him and grabbed my arm away. Why was I acting like this? What was wrong with me?

He let go slowly, another wave of emotion flashing through his eyes. "Amy...If I'm lying to you, then I guess I've been lying to you this whole time."

"What?" I stood shocked.

"If you dont believe me right now, I guess you never believed in me. I'm sorry Amy. I guess it can't work like this anymore."

And he walked away, leaving me alone in the hallway. I walked outside and saw the sky turning ten shades darker. Just like our relationship.