- Text Size +
"Hey bro." Nick said from the couch as Aaron walked in. He gave him a nod in response and continued on into the kitchen. "Nothings up, thanks for asking." He said, leaning against the kitchen wall.

"No problem." Aaron replied coldly, opening up the fridge and taking out a soda, all while avoiding eye contact with his brother.

"What is your problem?" Nick asked.

"My problem? My brother kissed my girlfriend, thats what."

"She told you?" Nick asked, sounding a bit ashamed.

"My girlfriend, Nick?"

"I'm sorry, Aar, I-" Nick began.

"I mean, I know you're still upset about what happened with-"

"-Don't, say it." Nick said, anger rising at the mere thought of his brother dragging his ex into this.

"What else should I say? I wasn't really all that mad at either of you, until I had some time to think. I just wish Amy could have seen that."

"Yeah, you thinking is a rare sight." Nick said, trying to make a joke. Unfortunately, he was the only one who thought it was funny.

"No, I mean that I wasn't mad. She called me a liar, and I walked out." They stood in silence for a moment. "Just tell me honestly - do you wanna be with Amy?"

Nick sighed. He'd been thinking a lot about it since he last saw Amy. "No. I thought for a second I was, but I'm not. She loves you, man. I just wanted someone to finally feel like that for me, and not want some sort of outside benefit for themselves."

Aaron nodded silently as he took a sip of his soda. "Maybe you should have told that to Amy first." As he went to take another sip of his soda, he suddenly found it had disappeared from his hand. "What the f-"

"Go talk to her. Now." Nick demanded, interrupting his brother after grabbing his soda and pouring it down the sink drain.

"Why should I? I'm not gonna be called a liar."

"Do you ever listen? I just told you she fuckking loves you."

"And that means she can accuse me of lying to her?"

"No! How do you know thats what she really meant?" Nick pulled his brother down the hall by his sleeve. "Now go find Amy, apologize for walking out on her, and talk to her." Nick ordered, stopping at the front door. As Aaron opened his mouth to protest, Nick opened the door and shoved him outside. "And don't bother coming back home until you do."

Nick sighed as he closed the door. "What the hell was that all about?" Angel asked at the top of the stairs, Kanden in her arms.

"Nothing..." Nick trailed off, "Aaron's just fixing his own mess for once."

"Ugh!" Aaron groaned as soon as he regained his composure after being pushed out of his house by stupid Nick. Why should I apologize to Amy? She fucking called me a liar!

But were you lying? Consious Monk Aaron asked, suddenly appearing heavily on Aaron's downcast shoulder.

"Lying? I wasn't mad, for pirates sake!" A blond stranger walking by cast him a strange look. He lowered his voice. "I wasn't."

"You were," Monk Aaron said, walking around on his shoulder and looking him straight in the ear.

"Liar."

"Why would I be lying?" he said, shrugging. "I'm your conscious, and if I'm lying, that means youre lying to yourself."

"But I -" but he disappeared.


-------------------


"Hey Dad, bye Dad, see ya later Dad." I shouted over my shoulder as I ran up the stairs to my room. He looked at my retreating back, his mouth faltering for a question. Or answer.

The door slammed shut behind me as I sank defeatedly into my bed. Great. You're such an IDIOT, Amy! Why'd you have to go do that for?

"I don't know!" I moaned, talking to myself.

'I'm completely unconnected
Constantly rejected
Like everything I've ever loved is coming down
I'm drowning in emotion
In the middle of the ocean
Never knowing when it's over and I'm going down
'

I ran to get my cell, flipping it open.

"Hello?"

"Amy?"

"Yeah, who's this?" I yawned involuntarily, and walked to go sit on my bed. Aaron's bed. My bed. Whatever. "Sorry."

"Silly, this is Mel, remember?"

"Oh."

"Is everything okay? I didn't see you at school today." She asked. Jeez, stalker?

"Yeah, my mom is really sick, so I didn't really feel like going to school today." Just like I don't feel like talking on the phone right now. Or talking in general.

"Thats horrible! I hope she feels better."

"Me too. My dad said shes coming home tomorrow."

"Well, thats gotta be good. Like I said, I hope she feels better."

"Thanks, I'll tell her that." I said, pausing. "Listen, I'm kinda tired. I've had a long day, I'll talk to you later, okay?"

"Yeah, sure. Bye." she said. Click. Ahh, silence. Now, back to kicking myself. Damn, I said as I heard a knock at the door.

"Who is it?" I asked, trying to sound as annoyed as possible.

"Dad." The person on the other side of the door announced.

"I'm really kinda tired, Dad, can we talk later?" I didn't wanna seem like I was blowing him off, but I really didn't want any outside human contact.

"Sure, honey, I'm downstairs if you need me." He said. Then I heard footsteps down the stairs. Again, silence. Now, where was I? Oh yeah, the "how-could-you-you-idiot" part.

Why'd I have to push him? 'Cause he would have gotten pissed and blown up at me soon, anyway. Maybe not, maybe he really wasn't mad, I told him how Jack was. It was still his brother. Whats that saying, "bros before hos"? How did I end up arguing with myself and since when am I a ho?

"I just wish he'd call." I said out loud. Right after I said that, my phone rang. "Hello?" I asked, sounding a bit too hopeful.

"Amy?" the male voice on the other end of the line answered. "Its Jack. Just listen to me."

"Go on..." I sighed.

"Okay. Well, as fucking pissed as I am that I wasted my time coming out here only to find out you have a new, older-than-you boyfriend, I just wanted to tell you why I came out here." he paused. "I'm still in love with you. It took seeing you kiss him to make me really realize that.

"I'm sorry to hear that, Jack. But I don't feel the same way about you anymore. If anything, seeing you again made me realize why I'm not in love with you anymore. Bye, Jack." I said, closing the lid on my phone and throwing it across the bed. I'm not gonna cry, I'm not gonna cry... Don't waste tears on Jack, its Aaron you should be crying over.

I don't know how long I was sitting there in silence, but it seemed like hours. Every once in a while I picked up my phone to make sure it was still on, and every time it was. It never rang. After a while I got up from my bed and looked out one of my windows at Aaron's house across the street. I saw Angel outside, holding Kanden. Nick was standing in the doorway, his phone to his ear. He looked a little worried. What was going on? Did he and Aaron get into a fight over what happened?

I squinted to see if I could tell what Nick was saying, until I realized I couldn't read lips. I guess Nick spotted me, because he hung up his phone and seemed to be walking across the street. To my house.

"AMY!" he shouted when he saw me walk out the door. "I was just coming over to talk to you. Have you seen Aaron?"

I shook my head. "No, should I have?"

He nodded, and looked back at Angel, who looked worried now, too. "I shoved him out the door and told him to go talk to you and apologize. Now I have no idea where he is." My mouth faltered for a few seconds as realization hit me. Aaron was... gone.