- Text Size +
"You're what!?" Nick half yelled, obviously scared.

"I'm...I'm...." was all he said.

"That's it, Amy, call 911," Nick ordered. "Tell them to send a rescue."

"I'm FINE!" Aaron forced out. "I'm just hot."

That didn't surprise me seeing as how he looked like a giant tomato.

"That’s all, you're hot." Nick stated. "Right. Amy, just to be sure, call for an ambulance."

"Already calling..." I trailed off, my phone to my ear.

"Don't..." Aaron said. "I'm fine, seriously."

"Will ya stop sayin' that?!?" Nick exclaimed. "You're obviously not fine!"

AT THE HOSPITAL

"Those white walls are going to drive me crazy!!" I cried to nick.

"I hear ya," Nick said as he sat down beside me.

Nick and I sat there for a little while. Just waiting.

"I hope he's okay," I said, worried.

"I'm sure he'll be fine, maybe it was just a fever. I just didn't want to take any chances." He looked at me and sighed. "Try not to worry so much," he started rubbing my back, trying to get me to calm down, which I appreciated very much.

"Thanks Nick."

"I got here as soon as I saw the note." Angel said, out of breath after running down the hallway. "What happened?"

"He started shaking and sweating," I started.

"And he said he was feeling hot, so I told Amy to call an ambulance. I wasn't gonna take any chances." Nick finished.

"He’s been in there twenty minutes." I added. I moved over to let Angel sit down next to her brother.

"So, they haven't told you anything?" She asked.

I shook my head. "Nope. Nothing. Damn it."

I fell silent, and the door across from us burst open, a doctor, dressed in all white, came out wearing a worried expression.

Something is wrong with Aaron, was my first thought

"Mr. Carter?" he looked at Nick.

“Yeah, um I'm his older brother," Nick stood up from the chair.

"It seems that Aaron has contracted some type of virus. We won't know exactly what it is until we get the test results back from our labs."

"How long will that take?"

"Unfortunately I'm not sure. It could take anywhere from an hour to three days," the doctor said, shaking his head.

"Well, how bad does it look?" Angel asked, her voice was shaking.

"Well, he doesn't look bad right now, we were able to stabilize the symptoms with some anti-biotics. For now anyway."

Angel nodded, now she was going a little pale. I can't imagine how she feels right now. I thought to myself. I can barely stand it myself and I haven't even been with Aaron for a month yet. Angel's spent her whole life with him. They've gone through everything together-including being born!

I put an arm around her, just to show her she wasn't alone in this. She leaned on my shoulder as a stray tear fell from one of her saturated eyes.

"What do you think's going on?" she asked tearfully.

"I dont know." I answered truthfully. What was going on?!

"You and Aaron didn't...you know, did you?" she suddenly asked after silently sobbing onto my flooded sweater.

"No....we just -" A frightening possibility raced through my mind, and I grabbed the bottom of the hospital chair for support.

"Just what?"

"Kissed...You dont think that would have anything to do with it, do you?"

"It couldn't have been," I said-admittedly more for my own benefit than Nick or Angel's. "I mean, in health they always say that kissing can't make you catch anything...besides Mono anyway..." They both glanced at me and I quickly added, "Which I do not have!"

I took my arm off of Angel's shoulder and Nick put his around mine. "Everything’s gonna' be okay," he said quietly, giving my shoulders a squeeze.

"I hope so," Angel and I chorused.

A nurse came through a pair of swinging doors to our sides and came up to us. "Are you the party waiting on a Mr. Aaron Carter?"

We all stood up immediately, "Yes we are," Nick said.

"Well, he's asleep right now, but you're free to go in and see him."

"Which room is his?" Angel asked.

"Room A 147. Just through those doors and to your right."

"Thank you," she said and led the way-pretty quickly-to his room, scanning every door on the right.

We finally got to his room and we walked in. He looked so peaceful sleeping. Nick and Angel took the two chairs and crowded the available side of his bed (the other side had his IV stand, TV tray, and a little draw, probably meant for long time residents) so I just stood back and let them have time with their younger brother. About ten minutes went by and everything was fine...until she came.

Mrs. Spaulding came charging through the door. "Where's my little boy!" she said, shattering the nice silence we had going on. Her expression went from half fake concern to hate when she saw me. "What are you doing here?"

"I just-" I attempted to explain, though I don't know why.

"I don't care, just leave," she waved a hand at me and turned her back.