- Text Size +
"Is it true?" he asked. "Not that I really care."

"They don't know what they're talking about. The picture of me and Nick was of us walking to his car in the parking lot of a hospital! Someone we know was sick and we went to see him. I'm with Aaron."

He looked me straight in the eye with his serious blue ones. "Are you sure."

I dont know what made me do it, but I sorta stuttered out my answer. "Yes, I - I'm sh...sure."

He looked me over for a second, then smiled. "I believe you." he sighed. "But, why were you kissing his brother the other day?"

Ugh!! When will everybody forget about that? "My psychotic ex came into town, he pretended to be my boyfriend so my ex would leave me alone, but he didn't buy it, so Nick kissed me..."

"So there's a lot of stuff going on." Kyle gave me another sympathetic look, which was starting to annoy me even though I knew he was trying to be all nice about it.

"Anyways," I drawled, trying to change the subject. "Any lucky ladies in your life right now?"

He blushed.

"Theres one I like..."

"Do I know her?"

"I think so."

"Oh really..."

"Shes in a few of my classes..."

"Hmm..." I pretended to be thinking. "Kyle, I told you, I have-"

"-I know. I was talking about Julie."

"Ohhh," I said with a smile. Then I sang, "You got the hots for Julie."

"Shh!" he put up one finger to his lips. "Not so loud!"

I grinned, coming up with a plan. He suddenly went a little pale and asked, "Why do I not like that look in your eyes?"

"What's not to like?" I said, still smiling. "This smile is the first step to you getting a great girl."

"Amy, please don't. You know how shy I am around most girls." he pleaded, an adorable pout on his lips.

I just gave him a coy smile. "Don't you worry about it."

"Not to be mean, but she was avoiding you like the Plague today." Kyle pointed out. Please don't compare me to the Plague...

"I know." I sighed. "I'll try and call her later."

"If you talk to her, please don't tell her what I told you..." he pleaded.

"Don't worry, your secret is safe with me." For now...

"So buddy, what are you going to do lunch?" I asked, tipping my chair back casually.

"Eat. Why?"

"I dont want to make you feel like a last resort, cause you really were my friend before, but like everybody hates me right now, and I was wondering if I could eat with you."

"You sure you wouldn't rather eat alone? I mean, everyone already thinks you cheated on your boyfriend, wouldn't being seen alone with another guy only make it worse?"

I thought about it. "Well...how can it get much worse?"

"It can." He breathed a wistful sigh. "Trust me"

Curiousity killed the elephant.

"I guess you're right..." I glanced up for a moment and looked at Julie, who must have caught my reflection in a test tube or something cause she gave me a quick - and disgusted - look back.

"It'll blow over. I'm sure of it."

"I hope you're right..."

And so I ate my lunch alone, in the library, with only the mousy haired librarian's eyes boring into my back for company. Whoop-dee-doo.

~After Lunch~

I tried as hard as I could to bury my face in my locker while grabbing the books I was gonna need. I jumped as my phone rang.

'Where there's smoke you'll find a mirror
It's over-rated
I've watched it fade
So please don't give in
Don't forget what you believe in
It's over-rated
'

"Hello?"

"Hey..." Aaron said.

"Hey!" I said. "Feeling better?"

"A bit... how about you?"

"I was, until I got to school..."

"Why, what happened?"

"Everyone's treating me like a lepper or something." I tried to keep my voice down, I didn't need anyone hearing my conversation. I closed my locker and found a private spot under some trees. I looked around to make sure no one was hiding anywhere: I was alone. "Kyle's the only one who'll talk to me - hes not interested in me, by the way - and he showed me a copy of Star magazine, accusing me of playing you and Nick."

"Oh." I raised my eyebrows at his answer; His tone sounded too hollow for my liking. "When's school going to let out?" he asked abruptly.

"I have one more class to go." I answered truthfully.

"Are you going to come visit me? I get out today."

"Of course I will, baby," I said.

"That's good," he said.

"Uh-huh," I agreed absentmindedly.

"Uh...are you busy? Cause you sound a little... occupied..."

"Huh? Oh, what? Sorry," I said. "A whole group of people just walked by... I didn't know looks could be that mean... Or scary..."

"I wish I could be there with you."

"Its okay, I'll have my dad drive me over to see you when he picks me up."

"Alright. Love you."

"Love you too. Bye." Click. I sighed as I walked back to the heavily populated area, where I was apparently un-popular. I looked at the time on my cell, and started to walk a little faster to make sure I got to my last class on time.

~Afterschool~

"Thanks Dad, you know, for picking me up." I gave a half-smile to my dad as I belted myself into the car. "I really appreciate it."

Truth was, I was sort of dreading it. I didnt trust myself.

He gave me a smile back, but his was tinged with worry. "It's no problem, Amy."

I smiled back, before settling back into the cushion of the car's seat, hoping for a good nap, hopefully one lacking in dreams of people calling me a "God damned whore."

"Amy." my dad suddenly said, turning on 5th street. "Can we talk?"

"Sure Dad," I said, slightly uncomfortable. Did he know?

"I know these past few days have been hard for you." Dad said as he kept his eyes on the road. I nodded self-consciously.

"I just wanted you to know your mother and I are here for you no matter what." I nodded again. "I assume you wanted to go visit Aaron?" Another nod. Dad smiled as he made a right turn.

"I like that bloke," he said after a moment.

I gave him a look. Bloke? "Bloke?" I asked.

Dad laughed. "What, not cool?"

I shook my head. "No. Not cool." We pulled into the parking lot and Dad stopped in front of the entrance to the hospital.

"Do you want me to come with you?"

"Nah, I'll go home with Aaron."

"See you later, honey." Dad said, rolling down the passenger's side window after I'd gotten out of the car and waving goodbye to me as he watched me walk inside. What, like I was gonna run off somewhere else or something?

I looked around as I walked down the hall towards Aaron's room. I'll be all too happy to never have to come here again.

"Amy!" Aaron cried once seeing me enter the doorway, sitting up immediately in bed. I giggled at the disarray of his hair.

"Hey..." I leaned over and kissed his cheek. I looked up when I heard giggling: it was Angel and Leslie.

"Thats the happiest he's been all day!" Angel said.

"Except when he heard he was gonna get to go home today." Leslie added.

"That's right!" Aaron chimed in, "I'm going home!"

"Was this place really that bad that you wanted to go home so badly?" I asked.

"Well, the place wasn't that bad...I guess, but," Aaron gave me a grin and started singing:

"Let me go home
I’m just too far from where you are
I wanna come home
"

I kissed his cheek. "Now you know how I felt the other day when I left this place."