- Text Size +
"You don't know anything about me!!" I screamed at him. "You don't know who I've become friends with, you don't know what my grade average has been, you don't know what problems I've faced, you don't know anything!! And why is that? Because you left me and mom for six years!!! And now you suddenly come back into my life expecting me to just open up to you? I can tell you right now that it is NOT gonna happen!"

My sudden outburst seemed to give my mother her backbone back, "She's right," she said, as if realizing it for the first time. "You were gone for the entire time she was developing as a person and as a young lady! You don't know that she's mature enough to know when she's ready to begin having sex or not. You don't know that she's responsible enough to make the right decisions when she does start sleeping with boys! You've never known her! You've never spent time with her!"

"This is ridiculous, I am her father-!"

"Than why haven't you ever acted like it?" My mom said in a calm defiance that made me proud.

My dad roared with anger, stomped out of the house and drove off. My mom looked at me silently and I walked over to her in unspoken words, giving her a big hug.

"I'm sorry, Mom." I whispered into her paisley print button up shirt. "But thank you for sticking up for me."

"It's going to be alright," she whispered in return, ignoring my comment completely and saying it probably more to herself than to me. After all, her husband left us. Again.

~Later~

"He's gone," I told Aaron.

"Whos gone?" Aaron asked.

"My dad." I said simply as I walked to the couch. I was so mad I wanted to cry.

"Where'd he go?" Aaron asked.

"Who knows," I said. "Probably to find some twenty year old slut to get with for the next six years." I plopped down on his couch. I didn't mind my dad being gone, but I knew my mom did, and that's why I felt so horrible.

Aaron came and sat down beside me, "It sounds like this has happened before..."

"Twice, I wasn't born the first time, the second time he walked out when I was ten and came back about two weeks before we moved here."

"And your telling me this now? After we've been dating for almost a month."

"I'm sorry, I guess I just thought that it was all in the past. Once again, I was very wrong..."

Angel came walking down the stairs with Kanden in her arms. The only look she spared me was a glare. Oh great, she knows... I thought to myself. "I'm taking him out to get him some new clothes, be back in a couple of hours," she said.

"You told her?" I asked Aaron.

He gave me an apologetic look, "I was mad and I wasn't thinking straight...I'm sorry."

"Don't be," I said, putting my hand over his. "Pretty soon the whole world will know that me and Nick were lying. That's when I'll have to start worrying. I mean if so much as one reporter asks him-"

"Can we not talk about you and Nick?" Aaron asked uneasily. "It's still a touchy subject..."

"Right," I said looking at my lap. "Sorry."

After a few seconds of awkward silence Aaron said, "Well...I don't think we'll be going along with our original plans. I don't know about you, but I'm just not in the mood anymore. Maybe you should go home..."

"Oh...yeah, that's probably a good idea," Please don't make me leave, I silently begged. I'll go sleep in the basement, if I have to, just don't make me go home... Aaron walked me to the door and kissed me goodnight.

"We're all going to visit my dad tomorrow, so I won't be home," he said.

"Oh... Okay." NO! I thought, I'll be home with no one! Kyle's going out on his boat with his parents and little brother and Julie and Gina are going camping... What am I gonna' do? Despite what I was going through inside, I managed to keep a smile plastered on my face.

"See ya in a week or so," he said, kissing me again. "Love you." He shut the door and left me as I would be for the next week: alone.

A week? I thought as I walked across the street. What am I supposed to do with myself for an entire week?!

When I got across the street, I sat down on the couch, still trying to figure out what to do without Aaron - or anyone else - for a week.

"Amy, zat you?" my, now drunk, mother called from the kitchen where the stench of cigarettes came from.

Oh boy. "Yeah, Mom..." I said, waving as she leaned - okay, downright fell - against the wall.

"You know that you're not supposed to be out after dark..." she said.

"Mom...the sun is still up..."

"Oh...would'ya look at that," she sunk back into the kitchen, but not before takin' another swig of the Captain.

I jumped up from the couch and helped her make her way to her bed.

"No... No I don't wanna sleep in here..." she stood up defiantly - well, as defiantly as a drunk person can stand.

"Okay..." I led her back out to the living room, "How about the couch?"

"Sounds good to me..." She plopped down face-first onto the couch and was out like a light in seconds.

I sighed and retreated up to my room and sat on my bed. Putting my head in my hands I let out a sigh. Why does everyone have to go away the exact moment I need them the most? I thought to myself.

I sat there for a minute trying to think of what I should do for the entire next week. Sit and watch after my mom was all I could come up with.

"AMY!" I heard my mom yell from downstairs. "A STRA*hiccup*PPING YOUNG MANZ HERE TO ZEE YOU!!"

I rushed downstairs. That's weird, I thought to myself, I didn't hear the doorbell. I got to the bottom of the stairs and saw Nick helping my mother back onto the couch.

"You should date my *hiccup* daughter, she could *hiccup* use a good man like you...unlike her good for *hiccup* nothing father," she muttered curses about my dad until she fell asleep, once again, only seconds later.

"Sorry about her." I said. Nick didn't seem too weirded out by my mother's behavior.

"Its okay." He ran a hand through his hair. "I just came over here to see if you were okay. Angel told me you were over at our house, so-"

"Aaron and I made up." I reported. He smiled.

"That's good," he said. "So uh...if you don't mind me asking, what's your mom celebrating?"

"She's not..." I said, looking down at the floor. I heaved a sigh and explained what had happened. "And now she's drunk," I concluded.

"...Amy, I'm sorry... If there's anything I - or we - can do, don't hesitate to ask."

"Thanks, but I don't think there is much you can do..." I looked at my mom, worried. "I just hope my dad doesn't stop paying for the morgage, like he did last time...my mom and I just can't afford it on our own..."

"Uh..hello? Anybody home?" Nick said knocking on my skull. "Your boyfriend is AARON CARTER and you are a good friend of NICK'S," when I gave him a blank stare, he continued. "Finances are the LAST thing you and your mom need to worry about."

"No, Nick, I couldn't possibly ask you to-"

"Well, then it's a good thing I don't want you to ask," he said with a grin.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I thought of the last time I'd broken this particular news to my other rich friends, back before my dad left when I was around 10. They all stopped talking to me after the rumor spread that I was "poor".

"Thank you Nick," I said throwing my arms around him and crying into his shirt. "Thank you so much..."

He returned the hug and told me to calm down and that everything was going to be fine. And I believed him, well at least until Aaron walked through the door, horrified at what he saw...