- Text Size +
Will things change? EVER? I asked my pillow once jamming my face into it.

It stared back at me with a white blankness that made me feel more desolate in the house than ever.

'Hey dad,
I'm writing to you,
Not to tell you that I still hate you,
Just to ask you how you feel,
And how we fell apart,
How this fell apart...'


I picked up my phone from the now-vibrating spot where I'd tossed it on the bed. "Hello?" I asked the person on the other end of the line.

"Amy? Hey, it's me, Kyle."

"Hey Kyle." I attempted to smile, but instead came out with a sniffle. I let out a scratchy cough to cover up the sound.

"Hey, I was wondering if you'd like to go out with me and Julie, maybe a double date?"

"You asked her out??" I asked excitedly. After making me swear not to tell her - or anyone - that he liked her, he pulls a move like that??

"No..." I frowned at his confusing answer. "But I was thinking maybe you could ask her for me."

"You want me, to ask your crush out on a date for you??"

"Well, kinda..."

"Kyle!"

"What?"

"And what would I tell her when I ask her out? She's gonna think I'm a lesbian or something."

"Amy!" He said in turn.

"Fine, fine. Can you hold?"

"Yeah..." he sounded a little anxious. I dialed Julie on the other line.

Ring. Ring. "Hello?" Julie answered.

"Hey, Julz, whats up?" I asked, trying to sound as though I didn't have an ulterior motive.

"Nothing, Gina and I were just roasting marshmallows. Whats up with you?"

"Nothing..." I trailed off. "But, I have a proposition for you."

"I'm listening..."

"Well, I was wondering if you'd wanna go out on a double date with me and Aaron."

"How can we double date if I don't have a date?"

"I know someone who wants to go out with you." I paused. "It was actually his idea."

"WHO WHO WHO???" she asked with a squeal. I heard Gina say something in the background.

"Um..."

"AMY! TELL ME NOW!"

"Kyle!" I blurted. "Its Kyle!"

"Kyle??" Julie sounded surprised. A little too surprised... "I didn't know he liked me..."

"Well apparently he likes you enough to want to go out with you, so..."

"Yes! Tell him I said yes!" Julie said, once again excited.

I let out a sigh of relief. "Okay then! I'll get the details for you and let you know when you get back home!"

"Thanks Amy!" I heard another squeal, and then she hung up. Bye, Julz...

I clicked back to the other line. "She said yes."

"YES!!!!" Kyle screamed.

"Whoa," I giggled, "I can't tell who sounded more excited."

"Are you serious? She said yes??"

"No, you've just been PUNK'd." I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes although he couldn't see me, "Of course I'm serious why would I joke like that??"

"OHMIGOD! YES!" he shouted ecstaticly. "I FRICKEN LOVE YOU AIME!!!! Well, as a friend I mean, not that you aren't appealing... I mean, oh whatever!! SHE SAID YES!!!!"

I laughed at how cute this kid was. "So what do you wanna do for this double date?"

"Is dinner and a movie too predictable?"

"Not predictable, just..." I tried to think of something I knew Julie would like. She was into sports, and so was Kyle, so... "How about dinner and mini-golf? Isn't there a place by the beach?"

"Sounds interesting..." he trailed off.

"Okay, how about the Friday you come back?" I asked.

"Yeah, that's perfect," he said. "My parents don't have any plans that night so I won't have to worry about finding a babysitter."

"Okay, so dinner and mini-golf, next Friday, what time?"

He thought about it for a short second before asking, "Six sound good?"

"Yeah, six sounds great," I said, scribbling it on my calendar. "I'll talk to you later, I need to run this by Aaron."

"Okay, later."

I hit the 'End' button and then dial Aaron's number. It rang three times before he picked up.

"Hello?"

"Miss me?" I asked with a smile.

I could picture his smile as he said, "Only every second you're not with me, baby."

"Good answer. Hey listen, Kyle just called and he wanted to know if we could double date next friday."

"You and him?!" Aaron asked with sudden alarm.

"No! Silly! Me, you, him, and Julie."

"Oh..." he said, and I could've sworn I heard a sigh...

"So... You game?"

"Yeah, sounds good to me. When?"

I gave him the details and he said he'd see what his plans were. We talked for at least an hour about nothing in particular, just stuff. It was nice. But one o'clock came and went, and I let out a big yawn.

"Sounds like you're pretty sleepy," Aaron said. "I should let you go."

Not really thinking of what I was saying I half mumbled, "Come over."

"What?" he asked, amusement in his voice.

I realized what I had just asked, but it didn't seem like all that bad of an idea. "Come over," I repeated.

"It's kinda' late, I mean-"

"Oh, well if you don't want to that's fine... I guess I'll see you tomorrow..." What the hell am I thinking?! It's a quarter of two in the morning!! "...Well, bye."

I went to hang up when I heard, "Amy! Wait!"

"Yeah?"

"Is the door unlocked?"

I smiled. "Yeah, just come on in."

I sat quietly a few stairs above the landing - high enough up that Mom wouldn't see me, but close enough to the bottom of the stairs that Aaron could see me when he came in. Sure enough, there he was moments later. The door opened slowly and he poked his head in and looked around.

"Over here!" I whispered. He looked up and saw me. Smiling, he came all the way in and carefully closed the door. He gave me a big kiss when he got up the stairs to me. We walked upstairs and when we got to my room I began to pull his shirt off while we kissed.

"You sure you wanna do this now? Here?" he asked, a little out of breath.

I nodded. "What better place to try being quiet?" We smiled at each other and continued kissing as we made our way to the bed...

"Ummm..." Aaron moaned half an hour later, his body sprawled in the middle of my bed. "You're delicious...."

I giggled and ran my hands through his matted hair, "I am, am I?"

He nodded, a gesture that looked almost drunkenly. "Very delicious." His eyes started fluttering and a warm sensation swept over me. He was too adorable when he was sleepy.

"So much for stamina," I muttered lightly as I hoisted his prone body to the side of the bed, so that there was enough room for both of us.

"I...do...got....stamina...I -" Snore.

I just laughed and snuggled into the curve of his body, content with my life. For the moment.

I woke up and looked up to see Aaron once again still sleeping. Looking back at my nightstand I saw the clock: 4 A.M. I gently woke Aaron up.

"Wh-Wha..." He said, rubbing his eyes and looking at me, confused.

"Its 4 in the morning, baby." I kissed his cheek. "You should get home, I don't want to risk Mom coming up here and seeing you. She won't be happy."

He nodded, getting up and gathering his clothes together. I put on my bathrobe and walked him downstairs once he was dressed. Kissing him lightly on the lips, I stood in the doorway watching him run back across the street to his house before carefully walking back upstairs.

~Meanwhile~

Aaron tiptoed into the house and made his way upstairs.

"Well, well, well..." Nick said groggily, "Look whos doing the walk of shame." He yawned as he stretched his arms from his spot on the couch, all the time smiling at his little brother.

"Who said anything about being ashamed?" Aaron asked. "And what are you doing here? I thought you had a date?"

"I did. I dropped her off at her house at least three and a half hours ago."

"By 'dropped her off at her house', you mean..." Aaron rasied his eyebrows.

"I didn't fuck her, Aaron." He sat up on the couch.

"Wow, she must really be a keeper." Nick kept smiling as he got up from the couch and made his way over to the stairs where his brother still stood.

"Ya know what," he walked up a few steps past his brother and then looked back at him, "I think she might be." Once at the top of the stairs he called back, "Goodnight - um, morning, bro."

"Mhmm." Aaron mumbled, following his older brother up the stairs. "Morning."