- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here is the first banner that Shrinkingviolet made for the story. It is absolutely beautiful, but she felt that Howie and Kevin were neglected since they are the main focus of the story. But, I couldn't resist sharing it nonetheless.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Chapter 1 – Family Festivities


Cheyanne yawned softly as she stretched out on the large beach blanket tucked securely underneath the large umbrella. She was vaguely aware of the ocean waves crashing a good distance below her as Olivia’s laughter flittered around her. Her lips curving into a lazy smile, she rolled onto her stomach, assuming she had a few more moments’ peace. That is, till she felt the icy chill of sea water being spilled over her bare back, followed by a lump falling onto her and an infamous giggle. Immediately rolling, Cheyanne caught her daughter in her arms, squealing in disbelief as Hoke scurried away, laughing hysterically. She should have known better than to let Hoke entertain Olivia while she napped, awaiting the rest of the party guests for the beach birthday. The child, a year old that very day, was already a delightful handful. But her grandfather loved to exacerbate her impish qualities. Not that Cheyanne minded as she immediately pulled up Olivia’s tankini top to ravage her belly with raspberries. “Olivia Austin Dorough! Just wait till your Daddy gets back!”

"Papa!" Olivia squealed, pointing at her grandfather. "Dada 'ove me!" she announced as though that solved everything, squirming against her mother's raspberries.

“Your Daddy may love you silly, but your Momma has you right now,” Hoke chuckled as he moved to help Paula with the hamburgers and hot dogs that they were grilling. The doting grandparents had insisted on hosting Olivia’s first birthday party at their beach front property, much like they insisted on hosting Cheyanne and Olivia till after the Dorough wedding next Saturday. It had been a sheer joy to have the mother and daughter within their constant company and Hoke would be the first to admit he would miss them when Howie revealed his grand wedding present to his future bride.

"There's my birthday girl!" Austin's voice called from boardwalk leading to the beach. Immediately Olivia's head snapped up, and she squirmed away from her mother. Thrusting the gifts she held in Kevin's arms, Austin rushed forward to scoop her goddaughter into her arms. "How's the world's most beautiful baby?" she cooed.

“Aun-Ausi!” Olivia gurgled with a squeal of delight, reaching eagerly to wrap her arms around Austin’s neck. It had been little over a week since Olivia, Howie, and Cheyanne had parted ways with Kevin and Austin for Florida. So, naturally, Olivia dearly missed her godparents. Having lived in the same house with them since birth had formulated quite a strong attachment. “Miss you!”

"Missed you more!" Austin declared, spinning her around in a quick circle before kicking off her shoes. "Why are you soaking wet? You been swimming with your Papa?" she questioned, moving to settle next to Cheyanne. "Uh-oh… Momma's soaking wet too… But you better go give Pappy some loves before he gets to poutin'," she instructed, patting Olivia on her rear end.

“Pappy ‘Evvy!” Olivia called with a giggle, toddling to tackle Kevin as he transferred the presents into Hoke’s arms.

“Did you miss me, too?” Cheyanne inquired as she reached to gather her long honey curls into a messy bun, glancing sideways to her best friend. She had been anxiously awaiting their arrival from North Carolina, knowing that this was the start of an entirely different form of their friendship. Though, Cheyanne hoped it wouldn’t change their bonds.

In reply, Austin flopped atop her friend, wrapping her arms around her tightly. No words could ever express how empty she had felt for the past week. Though Kevin insisted their temporary housing was small compared to what they would soon be living in, Austin had found herself wandering to Cheyanne and Olivia's empty room to sit on the bed. She tried not to think of the upcoming months, knowing the loneliness would only intensify. "Naw," she drawled against Cheyanne's hair. "I didn't miss you at all…"

“Good, ‘cause I didn’t miss you one iota either,” Cheyanne returned as she curled her arms around Austin for a tight squeeze, telling her indeed how much she had missed her best friend.

"Figures," Austin snorted. "In fact, we've already fumigated and painted your old room... Hope you don't mind that we threw your stuff away," she teased, showering her friend's cheek with kisses.

"Mama 'ove Aun-Ausi!" Olivia announced from the protection of Kevin's arms.

“Of course I love your Aunt Austi,” Cheyanne squealed as she attempted to fight off Austin’s attacks. “And I know you didn’t throw my stuff out, ‘cause Tea already had it packed and shipped. To where, I ain’t got a clue!”

"Oh!" Austin shrieked, leaping away as Cheyanne began to tickle. "I know where he sent it! But if I breathe a word, Kevvy'll have my head, so… Who else is coming to the shindig?" she questioned, hopping to her feet in order to brush the sand off her body. Glancing towards the sparkling ocean, she wondered if she had time to take a quick dip before the festivities began. The heat of Florida in August was going to be the death of her, she was certain. She partially blamed the fatigue on the new vitamin regimen prescribed by her gynecologist, but knew it was just the sweltering atmosphere. She didn't know how Cheyanne could stand it.

“Um… Polly for starters. Then AJ, Brian, Darlin’, and Vivian have already flown in like y’all because of the wedding, so they’ll be here,” Cheyanne answered as Olivia squirmed away from Kevin’s arms, toddling to grasp her mother’s hands. Obliging, Cheyanne stood to fix her halter bikini top and boycut bottoms, then scooped Olivia into her arms, knowing she wanted to play in the water. Gesturing toward her friends, she started for the gentle waves hoping her voice was soft as she announced the last party guest. “And Nick…”

Austin skidded to a stop, glancing over at Kevin as he kicked off his shoes. "Did she just say who I think she said?" she questioned softly, reaching for his hand.

"Niiiiick!" Olivia screamed with excitement. "My Niiiiick!"

“I believe she said Nick’s coming to the party,” Kevin answered with a small shrug of his shoulders before reaching to grasp her hand, leading her to the shoreline. Five months of marriage had surely not exactly been wedded bliss, especially when it came to Cheyanne’s flittering relationship with Nick. When they were all living in North Carolina, Austin seemed to explode whenever Nick was on the phone or chatting on the internet with Cheyanne. And when he visited, which was only once, Kevin surely thought that Hell had frozen over. Kevin understood his wife’s position though. Nick had hurt Cheyanne repeatedly. They just wanted to protect her. But, Cheyanne was stubborn as much as anyone else within the group. It was her choice. Not Austin’s.

“Zoom! Zoom!” Olivia giggled as her mother set her on the wet sand, reaching to grasp both her hands so she wouldn’t be swept away. “My Zoom Nick!” Olivia insisted as she glanced up at her mother, referring to Nick as her ‘Zombie.’

“He is most definitely your Zoom Nick…” Cheyanne promised as Olivia bounced to splash up the salty water.

Austin bit back a string of expletives at the thought of having to deal with Nick at Olivia's party. Instead, she laced her fingers with Kevin's, knowing better than starting trouble. Considering their earlier row on the plane, she knew she had to tread lightly. "I'll be nice," she promised, kicking her foot in the water to splash his legs.

“That is not nice!” Kevin chided as he jumped as the cold water swept upward on his bare legs. Seeing her wicked grin, Kevin knew he had to do one better. Seizing her up in his arms, he ran further into the ocean, throwing her in before diving underneath the waves himself.

"Pappy!" Olivia cried, leaning back to look at her mother. "Pappy gone!"

“He’s hiding,” Cheyanne promised with a laugh, gesturing toward the larger waves as Austin surfaced, cursing wildly at Kevin. “See, there he is, Cinnamon Sweetness!”

Olivia looked towards where her mother pointed, her lips protruding into a small pout. "Aun-Ausi otay?" she asked worriedly as Kevin and Austin began splashing each other.

"I'm coming up, so you better get the party started!" AJ bellowed from the house as he came outside.

"ALLIE!" Olivia screamed, slipping out of her mother's grasp in order to toddle towards the man who spoiled her nearly as much as her father.

“Watch out for crabs!” Cheyanne warned loudly as her daughter burst up toward the party in order to launch herself into the thin man’s arms. AJ wildly spun her in a circle as he layered her face with kisses, already handing over his pile of presents to Hoke. Glancing back to see the competition heating between the husband and wife, Cheyanne snorted. “Like your Godparents… They’re vicious creatures…”

"Where's your Daddy at, Ollie-Oil?" AJ questioned, securing her on his hip as he went to greet Cheyanne. "Don't he know we're having a party?"

"Daddy bye," Olivia informed him seriously, clutching the front of his tank top for stability.

"Oh yeah? Well maybe I can slip you away and we can run off to Cancun—"

“Don’t I get an invitation to join?” Cheyanne interrupted as she hurried out of the small waves while Kevin and Austin attempted to splash at her. Smoothing back the loose golden curls, she leaned to kiss AJ’s cheek affectionately.

"And have the wrath of the entire Dorough family waiting on me?" AJ scoffed, looping his free arm around her shoulders so he could kiss her cheek. "Maybe I'll take Baby Girl—"

"No Mama, no me," Olivia interjected matter-of-factly.

“I think I might have to tell Tea he was right… Cinnamon might just be a Momma’s girl…” Cheyanne concluded with a small smile that matched her daughter’s smile, leaning to kiss her sweetly.

Chuckling, AJ shifted Olivia on his hip. Inhaling the salty air, he coughed, making a face. "Oh yeah… She's really a Momma's girl right now," he announced, quickly handing her over to Cheyanne. "A little biohazardous as well…"

“Glad to see you aren’t shirking your duties anymore, Al,” Cheyanne snorted as Olivia blushed with embarrassment, hiding her face in the crook of her mother’s neck as she was carried off to be changed.

"Hey! I'll change a wet one! But those little stink bombs tend to gross a guy out!" AJ shouted in defense. "Momma D!" he called, his mind already on other matters as he headed over to greet her. "Do you have a spare pair of trunks for your favorite adopted son? I forgot mine…"

“Only my Alexander would forget to bring a pair of swimming trunks to a beach party,” Paula sighed ruefully as AJ affectionately kissed her cheek. Patting his cheek, she nodded. “Upstairs in Howie’s old bedroom where they usually are. And don’t go terrorizing my future daughter-in-law, okay? She’s already nervous enough about a Catholic wedding.”

"But why? It's just a little holy-rolling, some incantations in Latin, the snake dance, dunking her head in wine and then she gets to kiss Howie. No big deal," AJ shrugged with a wicked grin as he headed for the house.

“Is it really that in depth?” Austin inquired as she managed to drag Kevin out of the water, overhearing AJ’s final comment as she reached to help Paula set out the condiments.

“It’s more involved than your wedding, which means Cheyanne will actually have to pay attention,” Hoke warned with a snicker.

Austin's cheeks flushed a deep crimson, deepening as her husband joined in the laughter. "God, I hope Chey calls Howie by the wrong name... Instead of Howard Dwaine, she better say Dwaine Howard," she muttered, jabbing Kevin in the ribs. "You forgot Paula and Hoke's photos," she reminded him suddenly.

“What photos?” Kevin blanked, immediately rubbing the tender pain Austin had created.

"Their copies of the wedding photos?"

“Oh, damn…” Kevin trailed with a groan, seating himself at the picnic table to steal a few pickle chips. “Seems like we’ve been married a helluva lot longer than still having to worry about wedding photos.”

“Time goes fast when you’re on the couch, Kevin,” Hoke reminded.

"Luckily for him, I don't forget that easily," Austin cooed, kissing his damp shoulder as she moved to sit next to him. "They're in the car, babe…" she trailed, glancing up as Howie came out, looking harried and rushed. "Finally!"

"DADDY!" Olivia screamed from her prostrate position, kicking her legs excitedly.

“Hold on!” Cheyanne grunted in shock as she hurriedly secured the sides of Olivia’s swimming diaper, yanking up her swim bottoms before the little girl sprung away. Falling backward in the hot sand, Cheyanne watched Olivia toddle hurriedly toward her father, continuing to chant his name with warm coos. And, Cheyanne smiled gratefully, falling in love with Howie all over again when she heard Olivia’s absolute adoration for him.

"Ready for your party, Cinnamon?" Howie cooed, scooping her into his arms so he could shower her with kisses. "Aunt Polly's here now… And I believe I saw Brian pulling up when I went inside—"

"BAY!" Olivia interrupted.

"And your Zoom Nick called to say he'll be here shortly, he had to stop and pick up Aaron—"

"Aaron?" Austin groaned. "Just a party full of pissfucks," she hissed in Kevin's ear.

“Austin Leigh Richardson, behave,” Kevin warned.

"Only if he does—"

“Mama! ‘Iss Daddy! Daddy! Me Bay!” Olivia insisted as she pointed toward the little boy walking between Brian and Vivian. Squirming once more to be placed on the sand, she smacked a kiss to Howie from her hand, hurrying to embrace Baylee. She absolutely loved the older boy, insisting that he move in permanently whenever he came for visits.

"I swear, her thoughts drift as much as yours," Kevin mused to his wife with a smirk as Howie moved to kiss Cheyanne.

"Been for a swim?" Howie murmured against Cheyanne's lips, his hands sliding over her damp midsection.

"HEY! No makin' out on the beach!" Brian hollered as he added his gifts to the pile for Olivia.

“This is a friendly hello,” Cheyanne warned as she glanced over Howie’s shoulder to offer an impish smirk. Tilting back, she kissed him once more, feeling his fingers tug gently at the dangling belly button ring. “Our daughter decided I needed to swim on my beach blanket.”

"Which explains why Dad is also soaking wet," Howie whispered with a smirk. Sliding one arm around her waist, he pulled her closer, playfully tugging on her piercing. "I missed you…"

“I missed you, too,” Cheyanne promised as she kissed the corner of his mouth, easing her arms around his neck. “But if you’d stop running away all the time, I think it’d solve the whole problem…”

"True… But that'd make the whole greeting you after a short time apart disappear," he informed her, tilting his head slightly to intensify their kiss.

"Good God, get a room!" Austin screeched, throwing a pickle at them.

“Five months of marriage and she’s acting like she took a vow of celibacy,” Cheyanne breathed against Howie’s lips before pulling away, peeling the pickle away from her arm. Wrinkling her nose, she thought about tossing it back, but instead just simply popped it into her mouth.

"Ha! Just wait," Austin warned, hopping up to follow Paula inside. "Since we said 'I do', there are so many things we don't…"

“She ain’t kidding,” Kevin mumbled under his breath, following Hoke to get the meat off the grill so everyone could eat.

“Please make sure we don’t turn out like that… Okay, Tea?” Cheyanne requested softly.

"I promise," Howie whispered, kissing the tip of her nose.

"Trouble in paradise, Kev?" AJ questioned seriously as he was lassoed into helping at the grill. Regarding the older man with a critical eye, he noted the weary expression on his friend's face. "You look like shit, dude…"

“We just got to Florida yesterday. I’m not really adjusted,” Kevin answered, turning to involve himself in a conversation with Hoke so AJ would quit pestering him.

“Mama! Bay!” Olivia announced with a giggle as she finally arrived back at the group, wrapped in Baylee’s loving arms. She grinned excitedly as she kissed the older boy’s cheek, knowing he wanted her mother’s attention away from her father. “Mama!”

“Are you done hogging him?” Cheyanne inquired as she stooped to the two toddlers.

Glowering at Kevin's back, AJ glanced around for someone, anyone, who would know the scoop. "Say, Viv," he called, backing away from what he considered a boring conversation in order to speak with Brian's girlfriend. "Come chat with me while I get my feet wet?" he requested.

"My Bay!" Olivia insisted.

"My Angel!" Baylee squealed, squirming away from Olivia's affection so he could embrace Cheyanne. "Missed you!" Wrapping his arms tightly around her neck, he squeezed tight, as though it had been months since their last meeting.

"Scooper… You just saw her yesterday," Brian reminded him with a chuckle, shaking his head as he popped open a can of Pepsi. "Ain't like she's been missing at sea for six months…"

“Hey,” Cheyanne chided as she playfully glared toward Brian, lifting Baylee into her arms to shower his face with kisses, though Olivia frowned. “You’re just jealous that you don’t get this kind of loving from me. And, I need his overwhelming affections, thank’ya’much.”

"Well," Brian huffed, sucking in his cheeks as Olivia tugged on Cheyanne's leg, insisting she be held as well.

"Bear! Quit poutin' and c'mere," Vivian called from the shoreline, where she was walking with AJ.

"Mama, up!" Olivia cried, her bottom lip poking out further and further with each passing second. "Want—"

"ZOMBIE!"

"ZOOM NICK!"

“Bye-Bye, Little Angel!” Baylee called with a sly grin, waving from Cheyanne’s arms as Olivia scrambled for the final guest. What she and Cheyanne seemed to agree was the guest of honor, despite his younger, lankier guest.

Olivia toddled quickly over to Nick, skidding to a stop when she saw someone behind him. Wavering on her feet for an instant, she opened her mouth in surprise, only to fall face-first into the sand. "Who dat?" she insisted, squirming to sit up, covered from head to toe in sand.

“Zombie!” Nick yelped, tossing his presents toward his brother in order to bend down to scoop up the toddler. Reaching to rub the gritty sand away from her delicate face, he hurriedly glanced over her to make sure she was okay. Smiling with soft relief when she sneezed, wrinkling her nose at the tingling sensation, he immediately thought of Cheyanne. “Oh, Zombie… You’re such a daredevil… And this is my little brother, Aaron. Aaron, this is my little girl, Olivia.”

"The birthday girl?" Aaron questioned, smirking when Olivia wound her arms around Nick's neck. "Holy shit, dude, she looks just like you," he breathed before glancing around. "Where's the MILF at?"

Nick scowled. “Aaron, remember what I told you--”

“Hey, Nicky, I’m glad you made it,” Cheyanne interrupted, breaking away from the clustered group after requesting that Baylee keep Howie busy. Her fiancé had yet to understand why Cheyanne so desperately fought to salvage her friendship with Nick. She had tried to explain, but, like Austin, he was fiercely protective. So, she kept what secrets she could, unable to hide her smile as she approached.

"Of course I made it, Sweetheart," Nick enthused, reaching to pull her into his embrace. Next to him he realized Aaron was nearly panting at the sight of Cheyanne in a bikini, and he berated himself for bringing his kid brother along. Kissing the top of Cheyanne's head, he gently squeezed her, grateful he had been issued an invitation. "How are my two favorite girls?" he questioned, steering her away from Aaron.

“Better, now that you’re here,” Cheyanne answered, bouncing onto her tiptoes to offer Nick an affectionate kiss to the cheek. “Somehow, it’s just not the same talking to you on the phone and on the internet. Y’know? And Cinnamon missed you something fierce…”

"I missed y'all too," Nick admitted, aware that Aaron was right behind them. Olivia rested her head on his shoulder, babbling incessantly at his little brother. "You don't mind that I brought the fucker do you?" he whispered to Cheyanne, leaning down to kiss her cheek softly.

“Not at all,” Cheyanne promised with an impish grin, pulling away from his embrace. She was oblivious to all the comments that Aaron and Nick exchanged daily by her. Instead, she just heard about the wild stories that Nick was willing to share. The tamer stories. So, she had no problem extending a hand toward Aaron. “It’s nice to finally meet you.”

"Yeah? Same here," Aaron assured her, giving her a grin that was nearly a mirror of his brother's. "Fuc—Nick's told me so much about you…"

“Should I be nervous?” Cheyanne questioned with a rueful smile, glancing back toward Nick with slight apprehension.

"Hell no, babe, you should be proud!"

"Aaron!" Nick hissed, sending his brother a warning glare. "Remember what I told you on the way over—"

“Wait a minute… Nicky is actually censoring someone because he’s embarrassed? Well bless my soul!” Cheyanne interrupted with a playful coo, causing Olivia to giggle.

"I'm not embarrassed! I just don't want the little pisser to—"

"Boohbah! Come make yourself useful!" Austin snapped as she came outside, arms laden with salads and side dishes. Her eyes narrowed when she noticed the close proximity of Nick and Cheyanne's bodies, and the fact that Aaron was ogling Cheyanne's chest as though he had never seen breasts before was irritating to say the least. "Chey needs to get Ollie cleaned up so we can eat."

“Does she ever stop PMS’ing, honestly?” Nick growled.

“It’s just her nature,” Cheyanne stated easily, lifting Olivia out of Nick’s embrace.

"Maybe so… But Jesus, you'd think being married would calm her down a few notches," Nick grumbled as he headed over. Snatching the topmost container from Austin's hold, he peered at her over the rims of his sunglasses. "So fucking pleased to see you, too," he sneered before heading to the tables.

“Awe, Nick, so glad you could pull yourself out of a drunken stupor so you could pretend to be a human being for about five minutes. That is, till you decide to start beating on Chey-Chey again,” Austin returned nastily, jerking away from him to set the table. “Howie, get your fiancée before she’s molested how ‘bout it?”

Howie glanced up from his conversation with his father. He had been about to confide the difficulty he was having, writing his own vows for the wedding. Seeing Aaron leading Cheyanne to the shoreline, he saw nothing wrong with the picture as Baylee raced forward to catch her hand. Brian, Vivian and AJ were all at the water. "Molested by whom?" he questioned carefully, smiling slightly as Olivia leaned towards Aaron, wanting held by the younger version of Nick.

Austin stifled a string of curses as Paula breezed past, speaking with Pollyanna about the wedding dress which had been delivered a few days ago. “Howie, I swear to God--”

"Princess," Kevin warned gently, shaking his head slightly. "We talked about this—"

“Pretty Boy, I don’t give a rat’s flying ass at this point when that little heathen is staring down Chey-Chey’s bikini top while her fiancé just stands up here like some oaf. Isn’t it bad enough that she was allowed to invite Nick to the party? Heaven forbid he shows up at the wedding!”

"Austin!" Paula chided, clicking her tongue. "Cheyanne knows what she's doing. Aaron is far from a little heathen."

"Thanks, Momma," Howie whispered, biting back a grin.

"Besides, at least Cheyanne doesn't go off getting drunk with other men and practically have sex with them on the back porch," Paula added under her breath as she passed Nick to go check on the cake. "Mouthy little…"

Nick grinned wickedly. “Now I know why little Miss Austin wasn’t invited to stay in the Dorough house…”

*~*~*


"Are you sure you don't want to stay and hang out for a while?" Howie questioned as Kevin stowed containers of leftovers in the backseat of his rental. Paula had been insistent that the 'newlyweds' take some food with them to the hotel. Glancing back at the house, he saw the light in his and Cheyanne's room turn off, a sign that Olivia was sleeping comfortably in her crib. She had run out of energy not long after opening her mountain of presents, falling asleep in AJ's lap as he had read her new Care Bears book to her. "Nick and Aaron are going to stay and Dad's going to start a little bonfire, since Honey loves roasted marshmallows. Come on, it'll be fun," he encouraged. The week away from his friend had started taking its toll, and he wanted as much quality time with Kevin as possible before the wedding, honeymoon and permanent move to Florida kept them apart for months on end.

“Princess is kind of tired…” Kevin attempted to explain as he glanced toward the front of the rental car where Austin was waiting quite impatiently. She had been perturbed through the entire party, especially as she saw Cheyanne interact so happily with Aaron and Nick. No one else had seen what she saw and she was convinced both were up to no good. So, she wanted to leave. Immediately. And, Kevin knew it would be Hell if he didn’t oblige her demand, though he longed to stay with the group. “You could pick me up from the hotel tomorrow, y’know… I’d like to see the fancy new house you’ve got for Angel. I’ll help you with whatever you need. Just time for us?”

Howie nodded, stepping back so Kevin could open the driver's door. "Sounds like a plan… Thanks, for everything," he murmured, giving the older man a quick hug before leaning to wave at Austin. "I'll give you a call before I swing out. Be careful," he added as Austin tossed up her hand distractedly.

“I might be crashing over here by the looks of things,” Kevin mumbled with a painful smile, slumping into the driver’s side to fire the engine, hoping to drown out what would be the start of Austin’s angered ramblings.

Howie raised his eyebrows, about to question Kevin's meaning, but decided to let it go as the car backed out of the driveway. Surely Kevin would share what appeared to be marital problems with him tomorrow. With a final wave, he headed back inside, thinking perhaps he had time for a quick shower before relaxing with everyone else. Immediately he bumped into Aaron, who was on his way downstairs, a knowing grin on his face.

"Your old lady just put the kid to bed, D… Chey's out on the beach looking for a decent stick. You coming?"

“Yeah, I’m coming. I just want to kiss Cinnamon goodnight first,” Howie answered, moving to climb the steps as Aaron hit the bottom. “…Where’s your brother?”

"He's helping Chey look for a stick… I offered, but apparently my stick ain't up to scratch next to Fucker's…" Aaron trailed as he headed towards the kitchen.

“I better hurry,” Howie groaned, dashing up the steps, knowing better than to leave Cheyanne alone with Aaron and Nick, despite his mother’s belief that the two were ‘angelic.’

Strolling through the kitchen, Aaron paused to nab the last hot dog lying on the plate. Munching on it as he headed outside, he lurched to a stop when he saw Nick and Cheyanne already sitting by the fire. The flickering flames lit Cheyanne's face as she giggled, dumping marshmallows into a bowl as Nick talked to Hoke. Cramming the rest of the hot dog into his mouth, Aaron hastily chewed and swallowed before running over to flop down next to Cheyanne. "Did you get me a stick?" he asked hopefully as Hoke bid them all goodnight. "Where'd J go?"

"He had a date," Nick answered with a scowl, glancing at the miniscule space between his brother and Cheyanne. "You 'member that Kaci chick, Sweetheart?"

“You mean Junior Jailbait?” Cheyanne questioned with a small smile, reaching behind her to gather the sticks she had located. Well, more like Nick had located after he playfully ran her into the ocean. Though, her thoughts fell back to the young girl, Kaci, who had been an opening singer for the Never Gone Tour. Wrinkling her nose, she shrugged haphazardly. “Whatever knocks his socks off I guess… Austi’ll go to town on him for that mistake harder than I ever would…”

"Yeah… Austi's good at that," Nick muttered, reaching behind Cheyanne to shove Aaron away. "Jesus, Fucker, give the woman some room to breathe!" he grumbled.

“Holy Hell!” Aaron growled with shock as he tumbled off the beach blanket from Nick’s hard shove, causing him to fall face first into the warm sand. “What the fuck is your problem, Asshole?! You told me to be friendly! Here I am, fucking friendly and getting a snort of sand!”

“Nicky,” Cheyanne chided in surprise, thrusting the bowl of marshmallows into his lap as she reached over to help Aaron out of the sand. “Are you okay, Aaron?”

"Fine," he whined, spitting sand from his mouth. Giving her a grin, he glanced down as she brushed the sand from his neck. "Say… Need a stripper for the bachelorette party?"

"Jesus Christ," Nick breathed, angrily stabbing a marshmallow with a stick. "See if I take you anywhere anymore, Fucker—"

“He tends to get a little jealous when it comes to you,” Aaron confessed quite loudly as he reached his hand back to brush her fingers when she had cleaned away the rest of the sand. “Selfish bastard…”

"I'm not jealous! …More concerned you'll try to drag her behind the rocks," Nick muttered under his breath as Howie came outside. "Yo, D! Come protect your woman from Aaron, man—"

“He doesn’t have to protect me,” Cheyanne interrupted as she patted Aaron’s cheek affectionately before boosting herself off the blankets. “Aaron’s been fantastic and Cinnamon thinks he’s adorable. You worry too much Nicky,” she finished as she walked to greet Howie. “Did Kevvy and Austi leave?”

"Yeah… I think Badonkadonk was a little tired," Howie murmured as he pulled her into his arms. "Think we can lose the morons soon?" he whispered in her ear, glancing over to see Aaron and Nick gesturing wildly as they carried on a silent conversation.

“And just what do you plan to do when you get rid of the morons?” Cheyanne questioned with an impish grin, reaching to run her fingers through his short, dark curls. She knew Howie had already tucked Olivia in for the night and she would sleep quite comfortably. She never went to sleep without kisses from her mother and her father singing ‘Welcome to my Heart.’

"I thought a little late night lovemaking by the bonfire might be in order," Howie answered softly, his hands moving in slow circles over her hips as he lowered his head to kiss her gently. "But… If you'd rather roast marshmallows with Tweedledum and Tweedledee—"

“Would you be crushed terribly if I said I had a serious hankering for some burnt marshmallows?” Cheyanne interrupted with a playful smirk, wrapping her arms around his waist as she hardened the kiss.

"Not too terribly, no… But I'll be beyond crushed if you said you didn't want any lovemaking by the fire—"

"HEY! HEY!" Aaron shrieked. "Think you could tone down the PDA?"

"God," Howie groaned, nibbling lightly on Cheyanne's lips. "Let's go burn some marshmallows…"

“Don’t worry, I’ll let you cuddle up to Aaron,” Cheyanne promised as she kissed the corner of his mouth before threading their hands together. Her sapphire eyes sparkling with delight, she pulled Howie toward the spacious blankets, breaking their hands so she could rub Nick’s back, leaning over him. “You did remember Hershey’s bars and graham crackers, right?”

Nick blanked. "Ah, shit—"

"I'll get them," Howie conceded, rolling his eyes as he headed back into the house.

Reaching behind him, Nick pulled Cheyanne forward, settling her into his lap as Aaron snorted under his breath. Ignoring his little brother's irritation, he wrapped his arms loosely around Cheyanne's waist, tucking his head on her shoulder as she reached for a stick. "Think maybe we can do our boat trip in the next few days before you're married and too busy for me?"

“Just because I’m married doesn’t mean that I’m going to be too busy for you. Tea wants to start working a little harder on his solo album, which means I’m going to have plenty of time to myself… But, we’re really doing the boat trip?” Cheyanne inquired as she glanced back to Nick before purposely shoving the marshmallow in the flames to ignite it.

"I'm still hoping? Just me, you, and Zombie?" Nick suggested, lightly kissing her bare shoulder.

“I’d like that a lot… I’ll go if you still want me to go?”

"If we wait till you're married can we make it an overnight trip?"

Aaron snorted with laughter. "You're not such a slick fucker after all, are you?" he questioned, holding his marshmallow just above the flames so it wouldn't singe.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Cheyanne questioned with an innocent confusion, pulling her marshmallow back to blow out the flames. Grinning with satisfaction at the black coating of sugary confection, she timidly attempted to pinch it between her fingers, sliding the gooey mess off her stick. Hurriedly popping it into her mouth, she cupped her hands over her face to shield the men from her sticky mess.

Nick leaned slightly to lick the mess off her fingers. "An overnight trip? It means we'd leave one day, go out and stay overnight, then come back the next…"

“I know what that means and I thought that’s what the boat trip was all about anyway? ‘Cause you knew about some deserted islands…” Cheyanne trailed, studying Nick in surprise.

"Does Zombie still have to come with us?" he whispered against her fingers as Aaron hummed loudly.

“I thought you wanted her to come…”

"I do, but—"

"Here comes the groom!" Aaron bellowed as Howie stepped out the back door.

"Goddamnit…"

“At least he’s a good watchdog,” Cheyanne informed Nick, continuing to stay perched in his lap as she finished cleaning her fingers before reaching for another marshmallow.