- Text Size +
Chapter 2 – Marital Discord

“Cheyanne! Someone down here wants to see you!”

Cheyanne wrinkled her nose in surprise as Angie’s voice carried from downstairs, praying to God above that it wasn’t Howie. The dresses for the wedding had just been delivered and Paula wanted to assure that everything was perfection. She had just been zipped into her elegant wedding dress when the request had been announced. It had been enough trouble to wrangle her body into the dress let alone have to undress for a visitor. She really wasn’t accustomed to wearing such outfits. Even Olivia looked up from her My Little Ponies in wonder, grinning at her mother’s beauty. Cooing toward Olivia, Cheyanne hiked up her skirts before peeking out into the hallway. “If it’s Howie tell him he’s a dead man if he walks up these steps! He’s supposed to be gone the whole day!”

"Just shoot me if I start looking like Howie, okay?!" Austin hollered up the stairs as she sprinted up. "I mean, I know I've got the dark hair, just…" Shuddering, she stuck out her tongue. "And you look fabulous… Despite the smear of mustard on your chin."

“Dear Lord in Heaven, don’t tell Momma D that or she’ll murder me,” Cheyanne drawled in disbelief, hurriedly wiping the mustard away with her fingers before licking it away. “And don’t say I look fabulous. I look like a mess and I certainly ain’t ready for this wedding. I’m just bound to do something wrong, which means Howie will probably excommunicated on my account. And I don’t think his family would approve of the daughter-in-law that condemned their baby boy to Hell for the rest of eternity… I think I need to order myself a sedative to get through this…”

"I've got some Xanax leftover from my wedding…" Austin trailed, following Cheyanne into the room. "By the way, have you practiced walking in your new heels yet?" she questioned, bending down to scoop up Olivia into a tight squeeze. She had never seen Cheyanne so nervous before.

Cheyanne made a face at the mere mention of her infamous heels. The same heels that Angie and Pollyanna had insisted she walk the halls in at least three times a day. They were no picnic and made her feet ache. Not to mention she was far less than her usually graceful self. She was far more content with flip-flops, but feared Howie might frown upon that. Glancing around the room, she noticed that Paula had slipped away for a moment. For what, Cheyanne had no idea, so she simply stepped onto the small podium near the floor length mirror, knowing that’s where she’d be positioned anyway. “My sister-in-laws have made a variety of heel-practices for me. Walking the halls at least three times a day… If not more…”

"Have you practiced dancing in them yet? Or are you just going to stomp City Boy's feet into the reception hall floor?" Austin smirked, rubbing her nose against Olivia's. "Momma's silly, ain't she? Tell her, she could get away with going barefoot like Austi did, but no, she has to be all prim and proper!"

"P'oper!" Olivia giggled, clinging to Austin. "Mama p'oper!"

“Howie wants this wedding to be perfection. He wants me to wear heels. He wants this huge, beautiful wedding in this amazing cathedral… I just want to make sure it’s perfect for him. So sue me,” Cheyanne sighed, reaching to gather her thick honey locks into a high ponytail. She really didn’t want Austin’s criticism again. It hurt too much and made her unsure of herself.

"Ut-oh," Austin breathed to Olivia as she moved to view the back of Cheyanne's gown. "Momma's PMS'ing…"

"Cheyanne! Some more wedding gifts just arrived!" Pollyanna shouted from downstairs.

“I’m not PMS’ing,” Cheyanne defended as Paula shouted from the hallway for Pollyanna to put the gifts with the rest in the guest room downstairs. She then heard a short gasp as Paula entered the room. Immediately turning, Cheyanne self consciously ran a hand over her stomach, fearing there was something wrong with the dress. It was the first wedding dress that she had actually approved of. It was lovely. Or at least she had hoped so. “This is completely wrong, isn’t it?”

Paula shook her head, taking in the sight of Cheyanne in the strapless gown. Three bands of royal purple accented her waist, satin ribbons in the same color edging the draped layers leading to the train. The white organza brilliantly contrasted with Cheyanne's natural tan, and the glow in the young woman's eyes made Paula tear up. "Oh, Cheyanne," she breathed, scrambling for a tissue. "You look so beautiful…"

"Howie's going to fall in love with you all over again when he sees you coming down the aisle," Austin assured her with a smile. "You look perfect, Chey-Chey."

"Mama pwetty," Olivia cooed, squirming to get out of Austin's arms. Once on the floor, she toddled over, reaching to tug on the skirt of Cheyanne's gown. "Mama!"

“I heard you, Cinnamon Sweetness,” Cheyanne promised as she moved to step down from the small pedestal. Stooping, she retrieved Olivia from the floor, bringing her into her arms. Sighing, she kissed the side of her daughter’s face, brushing the growing honey curls away from her cherubic face. She didn’t exactly believe the others about her beauty. But her daughter was gorgeous.

"She doesn't believe us," Austin whispered to Paula.

"I know. But don't worry, we'll wear her down and make her believe," Paula assured her. "Now I think it's time Austin tries on her dress… POLLY!"

“COMING, MOMMA!” Pollyanna hollered back, which was followed by a series of loud stomps and heavy thumps. Hurrying up the steps, she charged into the room with a mauve dress with a large bow, heavily puffed sleeves, and ruffles galore.

“D’you like it, Austi? I picked it out myself,” Cheyanne enthused as she tucked Olivia on her hip, blowing a funny raspberry on the side of her daughter’s face as Austin grew quite pale.

"It's… Great," Austin squeaked, biting back her initial reaction. If Cheyanne was serious, she would wear it. As long as she could burn it immediately after the ceremony. Swallowing the lump in her throat, she tentatively touched one sleeve, cringing when she felt the rough fabric. It would barely take a match to ignite the monstrosity. "What is that… Burlap?" she questioned softly, glancing to her best friend.

“Oh you’re so funny, Austi!” Cheyanne giggled, causing Olivia to giggle as well, though Austin didn’t seem quite as entertained. The crumpled look of disgust on her best friend’s face was utterly classic. “Don’t worry ‘bout it being so course. It’ll loosen up real fine. And Momma D even made this pretty satin bow to go over your backside…”

"To enhance my natural excessiveness in that area… How… nice," Austin murmured through gritted teeth. "I'll be sure and treasure it always…"

“See, Momma? I told you that she’d absolutely adore it,” Cheyanne insisted with her usual sweetness as she crossed the guest room to a large walk in closet. Disappearing inside, she returned with another bridesmaids dress. This one was far lovelier than the abomination Austin was holding. It was a floor length, satin, off the shoulder, royal purple gown with a flared skirt and contrasting white hemming on the skirt and off the shoulder sleeves. Elegant and classy. “And you thought she’d like this one better--”

"Chey!" Austin squealed. "That's gorgeous! How the Hell did you—" Austin cut off, clearing her throat. "I mean… Vivian will look nice in that… And I'll have… This," she said brightly, inwardly gagging at the idea of ever wearing the dress she held. She would rather walk down the aisle in her granny panties and a holey t-shirt.

“Do you honestly think that I’d make you wear something so righteously ugly on my wedding day?” Cheyanne questioned with a playful horror, glancing at the small digital camera that Pollyanna was holding to see the pictures she had taken. The look on Austin’s face was fantastic. “I’m aghast, Austin Leigh Richardson, that you think so little of me!”

"You… You… Cheyanne Grace, I should slug you for that!" Austin growled, dropping the atrocity to the floor in a heap of polyester. "I was about ready to renege on my agreement to be your maid of honor!"

“But you should have seen your face!” Cheyanne explained with fierce giggles, collapsing on the bed as she tickled Olivia to elicit the same wild giggles in the little girl.

"Cheyanne! Your gown!" Paula immediately admonished.

"Don't get it all wrinkled before your wedding night!" Pollyanna insisted.

“Like Howie ain’t an expert at removing her clothes without making them wrinkled,” Austin objected with a smirk as Paula made Cheyanne stand, moving behind her to unzip the gown.

"Well, Baby Brother's always been a master with the ladies," Pollyanna teased, ignoring Cheyanne's embarrassed expression. "Though, I'll never forget the time he came to me for advice about girls—"

"Polly!"

"Spill!" Austin encouraged the older woman.

“Please don’t,” Cheyanne mumbled as she stepped out of her gown, allowing Paula to hang it back up. Reaching for her baggy t-shirt, she pulled it over her head, immediately turning to her daughter who was sitting on the bed, absorbing the conversation. “Does Cinnamon Sweetness want to try on her dress for Gramma?”

"'Pill, Powwy?" Olivia requested as Austin stepped into the bathroom to change.

"Awe, I better not… Your Momma might shut Daddy out for the wedding night, and I don't want that hanging over my head, Sweetie," Pollyanna answered with a smile.

“My Howard Dwaine is a virgin for his wedding night, Pollyanna,” Paula loudly chided, causing Cheyanne to pale slightly as she moved to gather Olivia’s dress.

Pollyanna gave Cheyanne a knowing smile. "Give Baby Brother a good time?" she requested in a whisper.

"POLLYANNA!"

"WHAT?!"

“I’ll have no such talk! Go downstairs if you’re going to be so crude! Making fun of your brother for being the only child in this family to actually listen! For shame!” Paula scolded, wagging her finger as Cheyanne made sure to avoid all eye contact with the older woman, finally locating Olivia’s dress.

"Wait!" Austin yelped, bursting from the bathroom, clutching the unzipped gown to her chest. "If Polly's gonna be crude, I want to be around too! Zip me, Chey?" she requested, turning.

"Aun Ausi pwetty!" Olivia cooed.

"Bless her, she thinks every woman is pretty, doesn't she?" Pollyanna questioned, sitting on the foot of the bed to pull her niece into her lap. "C'mon, Sweetie, let's get you all dolled up for Gramma."

“Me pwetty?” Olivia questioned as her mother offered Pollyanna the dress before zipping up Austin. She had selected a white satin gown with a royal purple satin sash and matching embroidery of flowers along the skirt. It was simple and quite beautiful, something Cheyanne would accept her daughter being dressed in. Though it seemed Olivia loved to play dress up like most little girls.

"Awe," Austin cooed, turning to look at her goddaughter. "You're breathtaking, Ollie… Wait till Bay sees you!"

“My Bay,” Olivia cooed as she clapped her hands. “Me ‘ove Bay!”

"Y'know… If you marry Bay, you'll have Vivian as a mother-in-law," Austin reminded her, leaning past Pollyanna to blow a noisy raspberry on the girl's cheek. "But he’ll be worth it, won't he?"

"Me 'ove Bay!"

“You’re the only person that has a problem with Vivie,” Cheyanne reminded Austin as Paula assessed the gown as Olivia insisted her mother dress her.

"Vivian is a wonderful young woman," Paula announced, smoothing the skirt of the gown Austin wore. "So sweet, how she brought Baylee over when they got in town just to see Olivia. She's going to make Brian a fine wife, mark my words," she continued as Austin rolled her eyes.

“Which just gave her all the time in the world to corrupt my Chey-Chey—ow!” Austin yelped as she jumped at the sharp prick to her backside. Glancing down, she saw a pin poised in Paula’s small hand and glared.

“Sorry, Dear, it slipped,” Paula explained, standing up. “Looks like the dress fits fine.”

"Thanks…" Rubbing her tender backside, Austin headed back into the bathroom. Her back turned, she missed the pleased smile on Paula's face as she moved to gather her pincushion.

“Momma, you should really cut Austin some slack,” Pollyanna chided once she was assured that Austin wouldn’t overhear and Cheyanne had hurried downstairs to get Olivia a drink of juice. “I don’t know what you have against her in the first place…”

"She's a bad influence on Cheyanne… She's rude, crude, overbearing and, to be honest, damned near irritating when it comes to anyone getting close to Cheyanne. Do you realize all the horrible things she did to keep your brother from forging a relationship with Cheyanne?"

“She’s Cheyanne’s best friend, Momma. You can’t change that.”

"I don't have to like—" Paula cut off as Austin stepped from the bathroom.

"Um… Where'd Chey go?" Austin asked softly, fiddling with the hem of the gown as she spread it across the bed.

“Downstairs to get Olivia a drink, but we’re done trying on dresses. Why don’t you take the Sweetie and meet her downstairs? Momma and I can put the dresses away,” Pollyanna offered, glancing toward her mother to warn her to maintain a proper air of manners.

Scooping Olivia up, Austin made a hasty exit, not bothering to pull on her sandals. Finding Cheyanne in the kitchen, recapping the bottle of juice, she felt tears well in her eyes. "Your future mother-in-law hates me!"

“What are you talking about?” Cheyanne questioned in confusion as she turned from the fridge, offering the sippy cup to her daughter before taking her from Austin. Her sapphire eyes sparked with honest worry as she searched her friend’s distressed face. “What happened, Austi?”

"She thinks I'm overbearing, rude, and… A bad influence on you," Austin sighed, repeating the words she'd overheard upstairs. "She apparently thinks I'm the spawn of Satan…" Pulling herself onto a stool at the counter, Austin shrugged. Paula was probably right. She had done horrible things to Howie, but… Hadn't that been in Cheyanne's best interest? Somehow, Austin wasn't so sure anymore. "Maybe I should just go—"

“Go? As in skip my wedding?”

"If she doesn't want me there, Chey, I—"

“What does that matter if I want you there? Damnit, Austi, this is the only wedding I’m going to have. And I should be damn lucky that his family is so accepting of me in the first place. Or that Howie would even want to marry me considering my history. This is a big deal and you just want to leave?”

"Chey," Austin sighed, reaching for one of the containers of bubbles waiting to be tied with ribbon. Instead of traditional rice or birdseed, Cheyanne had opted for bubbles to be blown while she and Howie left the reception, thinking of all the children that would have so much fun. "I don't want to leave… Hell, dealing with Paula is a helluva lot easier than Kevin…"

“What’s wrong with Kevvy?” Cheyanne questioned as she sat at the kitchen table, cuddling Olivia close as she sucked on her sippy cup.

"He's… I don't know. I think he's worried about the whole me not getting pregnant right away thing. And he's constantly on my case. Have I taken my vitamins? Am I sure that I was ovulating the last time we… You get the picture," Austin muttered with a shrug. "But I won't leave. Not if you want me to stay."

“Austi, I’m sorry that it’s so stressful…” Cheyanne sighed, playing with Olivia’s curls as the little girl cuddled against her. She suddenly felt guilty that she hadn’t been more supportive in the first place. She almost wanted to suggest that the couple go to a fertility specialist, but knew it wasn’t her place to say so.

"It'll be okay," Austin assured her, leaning to examine the polish on her toenails. "Think you can blow the future in-laws for the day and go for some girly treatment? I need a pedicure…"

“You want me to risk lung cancer with all those fumes just to watch you get a pedicure?” Cheyanne questioned as she bounced Olivia gingerly on her knees.

"We could always go torment Skinny?" Austin suggested with a smirk. "Anything to just get out… The three of us?"

“If we go torture Al, then it won’t be the three of us... We could go to Sea World. Cinnamon loves the dolphins and Shamu…”

"How about we just get in the car and decide on the way?"

"Go, Mama!" Olivia insisted.

“Guess I’m out-voted,” Cheyanne insisted with a smile, playfully tossing Olivia into her godmother’s arms. “Let me go get her diaper bag and we’ll be on our way.”

*~*~*


"Jesus," Kevin breathed as he stepped out onto the spacious deck in the rear of Howie's new house. Looking out at the glorious ocean, he shook his head in disbelief before turning to his friend. He had seen the entire downstairs of the spacious oceanfront property, and was thoroughly impressed. "You do realize, when Princess sees this, she's going to insist you find her one just like it?"

“Does that mean you guys will be moving to Florida?” Howie questioned with a small smile as she leaned over the upper deck of his home, which lead down to an in ground pool securely fenced before leading straight to the sandy beach. It was a gorgeous property. Howie had known it was the house he would raise his children in the first time he stepped across the threshold. He had spent months planning and perfecting the home, wanting to give it to Cheyanne as a wedding present. But, he needed someone else’s approval first. “…Do you think Honey’s going to like it? She won’t be mad that I bought a house without her?”

"I know Angel's going to love it, Howie. And, considering how harried she's been lately with the wedding and La-La's first birthday, I doubt she'll be mad at all. She may even give you some extra loving," Kevin teased, leaning against the railing. "So, is this what you were planning and scurrying around working on during the tour?" he questioned, pulling out his phone to check the signal. He hadn't heard a peep from Austin since leaving the hotel earlier. Which he could have taken as a good sign, knowing that she was off doing maid of honor duties with Cheyanne. But she had been so stressed lately, and he couldn't help but worry about her, especially considering how she had acted the night before. Sighing, he turned his phone off, shoving it into his pocket.

“I hope so… Y’know, to that extra loving part, ‘cause we’ll be on our honeymoon during my birthday…” Howie trailed with a grin, clasping his hands as he overlooked the ocean. “And, yeah, this is what I was working so hard on during the tour. I wanted to find it before anyone else did… Is something wrong, Kev?”

"No…"

“Okay…”

"Just be sure and enjoy the extra loving… 'Cause… Nevermind."

“You know, I owe you one… So if you want to talk about it, Kev… I mean, after my wedding, you won’t even have me around anymore, y’know? You’ll be in Kentucky…”

"She's shutting me out, D," Kevin blurted with a sigh. "And it's all my fault… And God, don't remind me you won't be around. She reminds me every damn day."

“Why is she shutting you out? And why does she remind you?” Howie asked with bewilderment, gesturing toward the patio chairs and table.

"I… I've been on her back about having a baby, I guess," Kevin sighed as he flopped into a chair. "I mean, I'm not getting any younger, y'know? I don't want to be going to our kid's school plays in a wheelchair. And it seems like no matter what we do, nothing happens. And I know that it takes time, and I can accept that, it's just…" Shaking his head, Kevin ran a hand through his hair, glancing out at the ocean. "Add to all that the fact you and Angel are moving here, and it just equals PMS, only a million times worse…"

Howie nodded in a soft understanding, not really knowing what to say at first. Instead, he set his cell phone on the glass table, spinning it in a circle to occupy himself. Upon first thought, he just wanted Kevin to move back to Florida. It would make everything so much easier if they weren’t in Kentucky. Cheyanne had yet to say anything about moving, but he knew the distance was hurting her. She just didn’t want to upset him. “I think if you stress out on having a baby, it’s probably going to be harder to conceive. And both of you are so up front and abrasive that it makes fireworks when you’re both stressed. And if you’re worried… Maybe you should see a doctor…”

Kevin nodded, watching Howie's cell phone spin around. "We have an appointment with a fertility specialist next week in LA… I'm surprised you didn't suggest adoption and moving in next door," he joked with a half hearted chuckle. Though, considering Austin's growing worries that Cheyanne would make new friends in Florida and outgrow her, he had seriously thought about suggesting they at least get a house for frequent visits to Florida.

“I thought that would be inappropriate and Honey would kill me if I let you adopt our Cinnamon,” Howie returned with a small smile. “I am going to miss having you around though.”

"Pretty damn decent of you to have that nervous breakdown last year, Howie. Made me realize what an okay guy you really are." Kevin smiled, glancing out at the ocean again.

“No problem, remind me to do it again in a few years.”

"Nah, the one time was enough… So, getting excited yet? Or have you passed that phase and now entered the cold feet zone? And why isn't there a frosty beer or two out here?"

“Just hold on,” Howie answered, pushing himself away from the table to enter the back of the kitchen from the sliding glass doors. Returning a few moments later, he handed Kevin a beer and kept one for himself. “I knew if I brought you here to work you’d want a frosty beer in return.”

"I love you," Kevin crooned with a grin. "So? Marriage to Angel? Ready to defend yourself against Baylee if he stands up to protest?"

“I’m not worried about Baylee. I think I could take the squirt if he stands up to protest…” Howie promised as he twisted the cap off his bottle of beer, leaning back in his chair to take a long sip. “…It’s Nick I’m worried about.”

"Nick?" Kevin repeated after taking a sip of his beer. "I thought…"

“I invited him to the wedding,” Howie confessed as he stared down at the platinum band with diamonds and a sapphire that Cheyanne had given him for his birthday. It wasn’t that he feared Cheyanne blossoming another relationship with Nick. He trusted her completely, knowing she only loved him. But Nick… He had a way of worming himself into Cheyanne’s life only to hurt her repeatedly. Howie couldn’t stand to watch that happen. It made him so sick with anger. Especially when he found the bruises on his fiancée’s body. How could Nick have the nerve to touch his future wife like that?

"Yeah… Austin was telling me about that… You're afraid he's going to cause a scene?" Kevin guessed, leaning back in his chair. "Howie, I'm sure he won't. He was nothing but great yesterday at La-La's party, unlike Aaron… But you could always take the invite back?"

“And have Honey resent me for the rest of our lives? No thanks…” Howie groaned, rubbing his temples. “It is horrible that I don’t want him near her?”

"Considering all the heartache and pain he's caused? No. But, asshole though he is, Cheyanne cares for him, and I think it's nice that you're extending a hand of civility just for her sake."

“I’m trying… He wants to take her out on his boat for a few days…”

"Holy shit… A few days?!"

“A few days… Just them…”

"…And you've said you're okay with this?"

“I haven’t said anything…”

"Just the two of them?"

“I thought I already established that?”

"Holy shit," Kevin breathed, shaking his head. "I hope you know a good place where I can rent a boat…"

“Why are you renting a boat?”

"When Princess hears about this, she'll be dragging my ass out to find them… Are you seriously going to let her go? After all the shit that asshole's caused?!"

“How am I supposed to tell her whether or not she’s allowed to go? I don’t own her, Kev. I can’t shackle her to the damn bed. Even if I want to throttle Nick, it’s only going to drive her away from me. God, I wish I could tell her no. I don’t think my heart could take seeing her with another bruise or a concussion… I don’t care what she says… He’s not different…”

"I know… I heard Aaron telling AJ that when they left last night they were planning on going to some party… Jesus… Want me to talk to Angel?" Kevin questioned, draining the rest of his beer in one gulp.

“Forbid her from going? What if he tries to force her to…” Howie couldn’t even bear to finish the thought, vigorously rubbing his temples to soothe the sharp headache brewing.

"If nothing else, I can suggest Austin go as well?"

“Nick most definitely hates Badonkadonk.”

"I really don't know what to say, Howie… When is this trip going to happen? Doesn't she realize she's getting married in a few days?"

“After the wedding, I guess…”

"Well… Hell, maybe by the time you get back from your honeymoon he'll have someone new to torment…"

“If three women at once won’t even keep him away from Honey… I think I’m doomed.”

"Doomed?" Kevin repeated in confusion. Shaking his head, he set his empty bottle on the table. "You're forgetting one important thing, D…"

“What?”

"She loves you. She's marrying you. She's going to spend the rest of her life with you. Nick's just a friend—"

“Kevin…”

"Don't you think that if she'd wanted Nick she would have kicked you to the curb after that stunt he pulled at the hospital?"

“I guess--”

"Then stop pouting like La-La after she's told no."

“I just love her so damn much…”

"I know. And you've got to trust her, and her decisions, too."

“But a boat trip with Nick? No means of accessing help if he did something?”

"Like I said, we could send Princess along as a bodyguard?"

“Guess I’ll have to take it into consideration…”