- Text Size +
Kevin sat in his house staring out the window. It was a couple months since Danielle's accident and Kristy told him that it was best if he stayed away from the apartment for a few more months. He was sinking more and more into a depression that everyone was trying desperately to keep him out of. He called the apartment to see if Kristy would even let him talk to Danielle on the phone, but he still had not luck. Kristy would talk to him about what was going on, but she would not allow him to talk to Danielle.

Kevin was going out of his mind not being able to make contact with the woman he loved, Danielle. All of his friends and his family called and came over trying to keep his mind off of Danielle, but when he was alone he was left with nothing but his thoughts. What if she never regained her memory, what if she never remembered being in love with him. Would she be willing to let him try to get back in her life, he knew that he would always love her, but would she give him a chance to prove his love again?

His thoughts were broken by a knock on the door. His heart started to flutter with hopes of Danielle, regaining her memory, rushed quickly to see him. He flung open the door and the smile dropped from his face, his melancholy attitude returned, it was only Kristy standing at the door.

"Don't look so happy to see me Kevin." Kristy teased. "The way you look you would think I was death or something." She didn't wait for an invitation; instead she just made her way into Kevin's house and sat down on the couch. She watched Kevin shut the door and turn towards her, still looking like his soul was crushed. She patted the couch next to her hinting that he should take a seat.

"I came over to talk to you about Danielle."

Immediately Kevin was at her side sitting on the couch. "Does she remember me?" His eyes looked at her hopeful.

Kristy bowed her head and looked at her hands shaking her head slightly. "I'm sorry Kevin, she's not mentioned you at all. In fact she's not remembering anything of her past life. She seems to be making a new persona for herself."

Kevin turned from Kristy not willing to let her see his tears fall.

Carefully Kristy moved closer to Kevin and put her hand on his shoulder. "It's all right Kevin, she doesn't really remember me either." Or else she would know I shoved her down the stairs.

Kevin turned towards her and nodded letting her arms wrap around him in a hug. Kristy smiled over his shoulder while patting his back.

"It will be all right Kevin. I promise, everything will work out for the best in the end."

They sat together, Kristy comforting Kevin for another few minutes, and then Kristy decided it was time to leave and get back to Danielle. "I will come back and visit you often. We can only find comfort in each other in this difficult times." She told him before she left.

*****

Danielle woke up in her dark bedroom staring at the ceiling. She called out Kristy's name wondering if she was still there. When she did not receive an answer she continued to lie in her bed thinking about everything she could remember.

Finally, she managed to prop herself up in her bed, she turned on her light and pulled out her journal. Her mother gave her the journal, a doctor told her it might help her to remember if she wrote about her experiences now.

She pulled it open to a blank page and grabbed the pen sitting on her side table and began to write.

"I often wonder about Kristy. I wonder why her face
is the only face that seems familiar to me. I don't think the others that visited me would lie about who they were, especially that Kevin man. He seemed so hurt by my not remembering, it made me wish everyday
that I could remember one little thing about him to make him smile.
Kristy and Tracy have been good to me. Staying up late, telling me about what I liked and what I did before my amnesia.
I don't know why, but I feel that the story I was told abouthow I met Tracy is a little off. I don't believe that I dated a girl. I can't believe that I dated a girl. I feel nothing for Tracy now, but perhaps that is the reason that we stopped dating, no fire. But to
think of myself lying in bed with a girl, kind of makes me feel uneasy.
I've mentioned Kevin a bit to Kristy, asked her about him, asked her about him and me. The first few times she shrugged it off but the third time I asked she looked me straight in the eyes and told me that Kevin was nothing more then a wishful thinker. She says
that he and I dated for a bit, but I decided to move on. Ever since Kristysays that he's been seeing her but still pines for me. If that is the case, which I have no other reason to believe otherwise, then I do not wish
Kevin to come around.
I am surprised that my mother and father have not been to seeme. I would have thought they would try to help jog my memory to help Kristy out. But, Kristy said that she was surprised they showed up at the hospital. She said that usually they have nothing to do with me.
I think I remembered something from before today. I was sitting in the living room and Tracy was making something. She asked me where the crackers were and I was able to tell her exactly what cupboard they were in.
It felt great to remember something from before.
I hear the door opening, Kristy must be back."


Danielle put down her journal and turned off the light closing her eyes to give the appearance that she was still asleep.

The light to her room suddenly blared on and she opened her eyes to see Kristy standing at the end of her bed. "So what did you do while I was gone?" She questioned.

"You were gone?" Danielle played innocent. It was something that she constantly needed to play innocent with Kristy. She felt that she did not want to let Kristy know she kept a journal.

"Yes, I went to visit Kevin, try to make him stop thinking about you and give me the attention I need from him." She smiled and sat on the end of the bed. "I'm sorry that you have to have no memory of your relationship with him, that way you could tell him it's over between you two. He seems to think that since you have no memory it will somehow get him another chance with you."

Danielle looked at Kristy. "I'm sorry, but why are you dating him if he still wants to be with me?" She wondered that the minute she told her that story.

"I'm a sucker for punishment I guess. He asked me out, probably to get closer to you again and I went. We got along and I think I love him. I don't think I want to push him out of my life yet. I am hoping that I can make him remember that he really does love me."

Danielle nodded her head, seeing that she was besotted and knowing that she could be the cause of her unhappiness. "If you want I can tell him that I remember about us and that I think he needs to get on with his life and make you the happiest he can."

Kristy beamed at once at Danielle. "You would do that for me?"

"Of course, you, after all, are helping me regain my past." Danielle smiled back at Kristy.

"Thank you Danielle, you have always been a wonderful friend." Kristy took Danielle's good hand and squeezed it slightly. "Now what do you want for breakfast? I know, I'll make you eggs and hash browns, you love to smash the eggs over the potatoes and eat them together." Kristy helped Danielle into her wheelchair and then helped her sit on the couch while she went to make breakfast for Danielle.