- Text Size +
Kristy made arrangements with Kevin to meet at a restaurant, a public place. He agreed since she said Danielle wanted to speak with him. He sat waiting at the restaurant the happiest he felt in a long time. He just knew that Danielle wanted to meet with him because she finally remembered him, because she remembered their original wedding date was almost here, and that she still wanted to marry him before the new year.
He heard someone approach and looked up catching Kristy's eyes on him.

"Where is she?" He asked looking around hopefully.

"She's in the restroom, she wanted to make sure that she was still feeling up to see you." Kristy took a seat across from Kevin placing her hand gently on his arm. "Kevin, I don't know if what she has to say is going to be what you want to hear. She still has not told me of any memories she has of you."

"But why did she want to meet to talk with me? Why else except to say that she remembers and she wants me back in her life for always."

Kristy looked somberly at Kevin. "Please don't get your hopes up." She took a chance by grasping Kevin's hand in hers; she held it tightly as they waited for Danielle to come out of the restroom.

*****

Danielle sat in the restroom, sat in her wheelchair looking at herself in the mirror. She told Kristy she would do this, she told her that she would tell Kevin that they were no longer together so that he and Kristy could move on with their lives. She saw how happy it made Kristy when she said she would. She knew that Kristy wanted this very badly. If this is what her best friend wanted so much, why did she feel like she did not want to do this.

As far as she knew, this man would not have fit into her past life of sex clubs, orgies with friends and all the drugs. She knew he was a famous singer for a group adored by little girls. She knew that their lifestyles were probably the reason that she called it quits earlier. Every time she told herself those reasons there was something nagging her in the back of her head, something telling her it didn't feel right.

She stared at herself harder, willing herself to remember her past before she made a huge mistake that would change her future. The harder she thought about the past, the more she remembered only what she was told by Kristy and Tracy.

She sighed giving up for the time being. Kristy would not lead her wrong; everyone agreed that she was her best friend so why would a best friend tell another something that was not the truth.

She knocked on the restroom door and Tracy came walking inside. Danielle looked around the restaurant as she was being pushed to the table that Kevin and Kristy were sitting at. She noticed their hands clasped together and gasped slightly. Kevin looked up and towards her, dropping Kristy's hand quickly.

"Danielle, you are looking wonderful. How do you feel?" He asked smiling at her.

"I'm feeling a bit better, not in as much pain as I was." She was moved up to the table. Her glance was caught up in Kevin's eyes that she did not even notice Kristy motioning Tracy to get lost and Tracy pleading quietly to stay.

Kristy, having finally gotten rid of Tracy, coughed and caught Kevin and Danielle's attention. "How about we order some food?" She asked.

"Unless Danielle has something she wants to tell me now." Kevin looked at her; ever hopeful of getting her love back he was lonely without her.

Danielle shook her head and turned to face Kristy. "I think we should get some food first."

The three ordered something to eat and some drinks and sat waiting for them to return in silence. When the food arrived they ate in silence, Kristy watching Kevin, Kevin watching Danielle and Danielle looking at her food.

Finally, they all finished eating their food and simply sat sipping their drinks.

"Okay, we are done eating and never have I had a more silent meal. Can Danielle please tell me what she wanted to tell me?" The silence had been unbearable to Kevin. He wanted to know what she wanted to tell him badly. If she remembered him he wanted to smother her with his kiss, if she did not remember him he did not understand the reason to have this lunch.

"Kevin, I, I remember our relationship." Danielle stated sadly.

Kevin jumped from the table with joy. "You remember me!" He exclaimed happily. He moved closer to her in an attempt to kiss her.

Quickly, Danielle moved her head away from the kiss. "You have to stop pretending like we should still be together. You need to move on with your life as I will have to with mine." She looked towards Kevin and saw the horror in his eyes.

"I, I don't get this. You remember breaking up with me?" He questioned.

"I remember that you and I are not supposed to be together." She answered.

"But our wedding was planned for two months from today, look the invitations were sent the other day." As if he knew he would need one, he pulled an invitation out of his front pocket and thrust it at Danielle. "See, we picked this out together, your mom wanted pink flowers and you almost made her stop talking completely for that comment." His frustration could not hide the tears that were starting in his eyes.

Danielle took the invitation and looked it over. She then looked to Kristy for support who was looking away from the scene, avoiding both Kevin and Danielle's gaze.

"I don't know what to think of this, but that you need to get over this obsession." Danielle stated. "Kristy, please take me away from here."

Slowly Kristy stood giving Kevin a look of 'I'm sorry' before taking the handles of Danielle's chair and pushing her away.

Kevin quietly collapsed into his chair and stared at the invitation in his hands. He was confused and upset, wondering what was going on in Danielle's head. She remembered breaking up with him. How was that possible? They've never even considered breaking up; they knew from the second week of dating that they were going to be together forever.

He saw the people around him starting to look at him so he quickly left the restaurant and made his way back home where he freely let the tears fall.

*****

Tracy watched from across the street, she watched them eat quietly then she observed the scene when Danielle must have been telling him that she did not want to see him anymore. Kristy pissed Tracy off, she knew that being in that restaurant was the closest she had ever been to Kevin without acting like a teenybopper and getting a picture, but she still made her leave.

She watched as Kristy left with Danielle then watched Kevin practically fall apart in his seat. She quickly moved closer to the restaurant, she could play it off that she was in the restaurant and saw him, try to comfort him. She knew it would piss Kristy off if she interfered now, but she could not stand to see Kevin as sad as he was and she wanted to hold him.

By the time she crossed the street, he was leaving. She followed him carefully and cautiously. There was no way she wanted to be turned in for stalking, not now, not when she was so close from her own goal.

"Kevin!" She called out unsure of what made her do that.

He turned around and he looked more forlorn then when he first set out.

"I don't think you remember me…"

"Oh hey, how are you?" He questioned trying his hardest to put on a smile.

"I met you that one time, outside that hotel, I got your picture."

He nodded showing some remembrance. "Yeah I remember you, my bodyguard almost shoved you down?"

"Yeah that was me." She replied keeping her head low.

"Did you want another autograph? Another picture maybe?"

Tracy shook her head. She had no idea what she wanted to say to him, she hadn't thought that out. She just wanted to be near him. "I, I, no I didn't want a picture or autograph, I wanted to know if you were all right."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, Kevin, your eyes are puffy and you sound stuffed up. It was apparent from a distance that you've been crying."

Kevin looked down, away from the young girl in front of him. "I'll be all right, I just need to get home and rest. Thank you for your concern…"

"Tracy, my name is Tracy."

Kevin nodded. "Thank you Tracy."

Then Tracy did something drastic, something she never thought she would do in a million years. She took out a piece of paper with her phone number on it. "Here, this is my phone number, if you ever want to talk about what's going on I'll be a good listener."

Kevin took the paper and looked at it half-heartedly. "If I ever need anyone, thanks." He pocketed the paper with full intention of tossing it out; he would never call a fan especially about his problems.

Tracy watched as he turned and walked away from her, watched as he found his car, and watched as he drove away.

Finally, she got in her own car and made her way back to her place knowing that in some way she did the right thing.