- Text Size +
As Danielle watched the minutes tick away on her clock, the nagging feeling she started to have at lunch became stronger. There was something in Kevin's reaction to her announcement that made her have second thoughts about what she was saying. She almost blurted out that she really didn't have any memory of him to keep that pained look out of his eyes. At least not remembering him was better then telling him that.
She pretended to take the sleeping medicine that Kristy administered her; she wanted to be awake while she was gone to search her own apartment. Kristy always got stuff for her, she said it was to keep her from feeling a fool if she could not find the stuff on her own, but Danielle was starting to wonder about the validity of that statement.

She glanced at the clock again and felt that she waited long enough, now she would be able to look around. Quickly and still acting quietly, she got out of bed and began to look through the drawers of her dresser. Her clothes were folded neatly inside, her underwear was separated by colors, and whites, socks were separated by a box.

Danielle shrugged and moved on, skipping the two drawers in between. Just getting dressed everyday she's managed to go through those drawers. The bottom drawer that was one she did not have a chance to open yet.

She started to open the drawer slowly and carefully, but it would not budge. She pulled harder, but it would still not open. Finally, remembering the trick, she started to use the handles and tilt the drawer at the same time she pulled out. Uneasily the drawer opened and Danielle gasped at what she saw.

Inside the drawer were clothes very different from what she saw hanging in her closet and that were folded in the other drawers. Inside, clothes of soft colors sat crumpled in heaps. She started to pull them out as she thought that those shirts fit her more then the ones that Kristy swore she picked out. As she pulled, more and more articles of clothing out, a small thin box became apparent towards the back of the drawer.

Danielle pulled the box out of the drawer and sat looking at it for a few minutes. She wanted to open the box, but was a bit fearful at what she would find. Would she find that Kevin was lying when he said that they were engaged, or was Kristy lying when she said that she and Kevin were an item?

Suddenly there was a click at the front door. Kristy was coming back, there were clothes spread out on the floor of the room, and she was supposed to be asleep. Quickly she shoved the clothes back in the drawer and slammed it shut. Still holding the box, she jumped back into bed and threw the covers back over herself right as the door to her room opened.

"Danielle? Are you awake?" A meek voice asked.

Danielle kept her eyes closed, it was not Kristy in the room, but she did not want to reveal herself to Tracy for the information would make its way back to Kristy eventually.

"I'll make something for dinner." She said to Danielle in case she was awake before leaving the room.

The door closed quietly and Danielle let out a sigh of relief. She listened to the sounds in the kitchen that reassured her that she had a bit of time to herself to look through the box. She leaned on her elbow and pulled out the box, opening it quickly she rummaged through little cut outs, little articles. She took one out and read it.

Backstreet Boy, Kevin Richardson was seen spotted
downtown tonight with local woman, Danielle Fitzsimmons. Rumor
has it that the two met at a club half a year ago and have been
inseparable since. Fans of the Boy are anticipating or dreading
a marriage proposal.

She sat stunned by the words, but then Kristy told her that she and Kevin did go out a few times, but why would she keep the article if she did not want to be with him? She found another and continued to read.

In a recent article Backstreet Boy, Kevin Richardson, announced
that he is indeed engaged to Danielle Fitzsimmons and that early next year
they plan to tie the knot in a small ceremony in Danielle's hometown.
Girls around the world were crushed to hear the news of his
engagement….

Danielle stopped reading and put the article down. Why would he announce his intentions to marry her if he would only be embarrassed later when they found out it was a hoax. Why would she keep all these articles if they were false? Shuffling the papers around a little more a picture caught her eye. She pulled it out and sat looking at her and Kevin staring into each other's eyes, inches away from each other's faces.

Why would I look at him that way if I did not love him? Danielle questioned herself.

The noises in the kitchen brought her back to the present and she quickly shoved the contents of the box back inside it and shoved it under the pillow. She listened to the girl in the kitchen singing along to her CD as she prepared something in the kitchen. This girl that she supposedly was lovers with, she could not imagine it, she could not believe that about herself. Sure the girl was attractive, but being with a girl intimately never excited Danielle, that had always been Kristy's thing.

Kristy was always the one who slept around with everyone. She remembered that, something triggered that part of her memory. Danielle smiled at her small triumph, but if that was the case, why was Kristy lying to her about how she acted?

The sound of the front door opening alarmed Danielle and she quickly pulled the covers over her head and listened to the sounds coming from the other room.

"What are you doing here?" she heard Kristy ask Tracy.

"I was just making something for dinner for Danielle." Tracy answered honestly. "Besides, what are you doing here? I thought tonight was your night to seduce Kevin." Danielle caught a hint of spite in the girl's words.

"Be quiet you fool!" Kristy stated firmly.

"She's asleep; no doubt you gave her enough sleeping pills to knock her out for a year."

The voices became quiet and Danielle could no longer make out what they were saying. No doubt, that Kristy decided they should talk softer since Danielle might wake from her pill-induced slumber soon. Danielle lay in her bed replaying what she heard in her head repeatedly. If she thought something was wrong, if she thought that Kristy was up to something, it was clear that Tracy would be her only way to discover what it was.