- Text Size +
Kevin started towards the window, he was sure he saw someone staring in watching his television. He shook his head and looked towards the window again he saw nothing there now. He turned his attention back to the television and watched Danielle's face shine as she talked with their mothers at a barbeque to announce their engagement to their families. That was such a wonderful day in their lives, he never thought that something like what was happening to them now could ever happen to them.
The rustling of the bushes outside his window forced Kevin to look towards the window again. This time he knew he was not making the image of the girl in the window up this time. He continued to stare at her as she watched the television and then looked at him. Slowly he rose to his feet and moved to the door.

"Hey!" He shouted at the girl that he saw trying to move quickly away from his house. He started after her and caught up to her in a short amount of time. He grabbed at her arm to stop her from running anymore.

"You are that fan that I seem to see all over aren't you?" He questioned.

Tracy turned and faced Kevin nodding ashamedly. "I'm sorry. I don't mean to appear to be stalking you, but I just like being around you. If you want me to stop I will I am truly sorry Kevin." She chanced it and looked up into Kevin's eyes. He was looking back at her with soft eyes, not at all angry in any way.

"Typically I would be furious about the invasion of my privacy, but I think you might be able to help me. I seem to recall you were at the café when Danielle," He choked back the words, "well… that day in the café."

Tracy nodded her head. "That was me."

"How did you manage to convince Kristy to let you wheel her out to me? I mean you had to have some kind of persuasive skill, I was wondering if you could help me get close to Danielle, maybe get Kristy to let her call me or let me see her. Talk her into it for me."

Tracy shook her head. "I can't speak with her, I didn't convince her to let me bring Danielle to you, she made me bring her to you."

"You are friends with her?" Kevin fumed.

Tracy shook her head, "More like going along with her so she doesn't turn on me." Tracy moved her eyes to stare at her hands again, fiddling with her rings. "I was following you and I was sitting outside Danielle's apartment and she just approached me and told me to help her." She conveniently left out that it was before the accident and left Kevin assume what he wanted about the timing.

"So you can't help me?"

Tracy looked back up at Kevin's face; the sadness it portrayed broke her heart. "Actually," she started, "I'm in charge of watching her tomorrow evening when Kristy's at work."

"So can you help me out and arrange a time for me to come over. I know that if she and I are able to spend time together then she will remember me."

Tracy shrugged her shoulders, "I don't know. What if Kristy finds out? I don't want to know what she would do to me if she knew I was the one who let you in to see her."

She stared at Kevin as his face fell, unable to take it anymore she collapsed. "Come over to her apartment after eight tomorrow night." Tracy decided that two hours were needed between her and Danielle so she could set the record straight between her and Danielle.

Completely out of character, Kevin pulled Tracy into his arms and hugged her tightly. "Thank you so much, I don't know how I will ever be able to repay you for doing this for me."

Blush crept onto Tracy's face, finally Kevin pulled away. "Just don't creep into my neighborhood again and hide in my bushes." Kevin smirked slightly then moved back into his house.

*****

The clock ticked by slowly. Tracy thought Kristy would never leave, already it was seven o'clock and Kristy was still in the apartment. Tracy had no idea why she was still around, there was no reason for her to be there still but she couldn't push her out of the apartment without raising Kristy's suspicions. She sat on the couch trying to look casual as she flipped through the stations on the television.

"Well," Kristy started as she walked from the bathroom. "I guess I should get going, I worked a little later then I originally thought." Kristy shrugged and grabbed her purse. "Now I can trust you to be here alone with her?" She asked.

Tracy gulped quickly and nodded. "Of course, Kristy. You know I want to break Kevin and Danielle up just as much as you. He deserves so much better."

Kristy glared at Tracy. "Quiet you nit, it's not like her hearing was damaged in the fall." Quickly she stormed out and drove off just as quickly.

Tracy snuck to the window and opened the shade carefully watching to make sure that Kristy wasn't turning around and speeding back. When she didn't see any headlights turn back into the complex, Tracy ran to the phone and quickly dialed Kevin's phone number.

"It's time." She hung the phone up and ran into Danielle's room.

"Danielle, wake up!" She shouted at the form that appeared to be sleeping in the bed.

Danielle bolted into a sitting position, startled at the shouting that was going on in her room. "What?" She wondered what it could be, what would be so important that Tracy would barge into her room after Kristy told Tracy to leave her alone.

"We are going to be having a visitor soon, and I need to straighten some things out with you." She moved closer to Danielle and sat on her bed. "Everything I've told you about us has never happened."

"That doesn't surprise me." Danielle quietly mentioned. "I can't see how I would have been able to have an affair with a woman. Not that you aren't attractive or anything, but the thought just gives me the creeps."

Tracy laughed slightly. "I'm sorry about everything that has happened lately. Kristy just wants me around to watch you when she can't be here, that's really all I'm for. I've started to feel bad and I would like for us to be friends, I have a visitor coming over to see you in a couple of minutes."

It was as if a director cued the sound, the doorbell rang causing Tracy to jolt slightly. Still clutching her chest from the shock, Tracy smiled slightly at Danielle and made her way to the living room to answer the door.

Tracy peeped out the hole and sighed in content as she saw Kevin's dark frame outside the door. He is so good looking, she thought to herself as she unlocked the door and let him inside.

"I'm glad you could make it." Tracy beamed.

"Anything to see Danielle again, I've missed her so much."

Tracy blushed slightly and looked away embarrassed. "I'm sure you have." Quietly she closed the door and lead Kevin into Danielle's room.

She watched as Kevin moved to Danielle's bed and took her hands in his. Quickly she left the room so that they could be alone to catch up, besides, someone had to keep her eyes and ears open for any signs of Kristy returning home early.

*****

"Danielle, I've missed you so much." Kevin started when he was sure that Tracy had left.

"Kevin you have to understand, I still don't remember anything, but I'm starting to think that Kristy isn't being truthful with me. I found a phone number the other day, dialed it and it was Leighanne. We talked for a bit and I realized that somewhere deep down I knew what she was saying was right." Danielle paused and lifted up her pillow. "Plus I found these."

She shoved the article clippings into Kevin's hands and he read them to himself smiling to himself at the memories. "Now I'm glad you kept these things." He laughed to himself. "I would have had you throw them out a long time ago, now they've proved a point."

He moved closer to her and cautiously put his arms around her bringing her in closer to him. "I've missed you so."

The two sat talking for the next couple of hours only to be interrupted by a knock coming quietly from the door and Tracy's voice calling their names. Slowly the door opened.

"I think it would be best if Kevin left now before we get too close to the time Kristy is due back to arrive." Having said that, she backed out of the room and let the couple say their good-byes.

"Danielle I am so glad that you decided to meet with me and hear me out."

"I'm glad too Kevin. I can't say that I remember you, but some of this has helped me start to think, and I remember a few of the situations you were telling me about. I'm sure you've started me on the path to remember." Danielle leaned in closer to Kevin and carefully kissed his cheek. "Thank you."

Kevin smiled, holding back any tears he felt were going to fall. "Another time?"

Danielle nodded and situated herself under her covers so it looked as if she had been sleeping while Kristy was gone. "I can't wait." She beamed at Kevin and closed her eyes. His visit really did tire her out and she wouldn't have to pretend to be asleep when Kristy arrived.

Kevin watched Danielle's eyes close and stood there for a few minutes after just watching her before he turned his back to her and left the room.

Kevin smiled at Tracy and walked towards the apartment door. "Thank you Tracy."

She nodded and continued to watch her movie. "Hurry, she's expected home soon."

Kevin was surprised at this. "But it's only been a couple of hours; surely she works more then that."

"She'll be home on a break to check in. I would leave quickly."

Kevin turned towards the door and opened it, walking quickly down the stairs that caused this pain in his life, and out to his car. He closed the door just in time, Kristy's car pulled into the parking lot and she swiftly ran to the apartment. Not thinking anything suspicious was going on, she didn't bother to look around her and therefore did not notice Kevin's startled eyes sitting in a car parked not even three cars away from her own.