- Text Size +
Weary from the night before, Danielle hoped in the shower hoping the mixture of hot and cold would bring her senses around. Now, as well as not taking the day after Kevin leaves off, she was never going to go out with Kristy on a weekday. Events of the night before were hazy, there was drinking and dancing. When she asked Kristy if they could leave, she only laughed and continued dancing with the guy of the moment.

The water felt good, refreshing her mind and body. Today would just be another boring day at work, even though Kevin insisted that she did not have to work, he would gladly support her while she spent her time devoted to writing, as she wanted. She dried her hair and wandered into her bedroom to grab her clothing. She thought of what other plans she had to make for the wedding, they were only getting started so there was plenty to do.
Kevin already had both the church for the wedding and the reception hall booked. They decided on invitations this last weekend, and she would be dress shopping this weekend with her mom and Kristy. She moved to a picture of the three of them together at one of the clubs they liked to frequent. They all looked so happy and cheerful, she was glad that Kristy would be her maid of honor and be there to share and support her on her wedding day.

The thought of work flew back into her head and Danielle looked at the clock on her nightstand. Her eyes widened as she realized she should have left five minutes ago, her fantasizing about her wedding made her forget the time. Quickly she grabbed her jacket and headed out the door.

*****

She stood down the block from where the boys were eating. She watched Kevin intently as he took a bite from his sandwich. She knew it would be a chicken sandwich, she had watched him eat lunch enough to know that was his favorite.

"Now he will dab his mouth with his napkin, just to make sure he doesn't have any mayonnaise on his face." She giggled as she watched him put the sandwich down and pick up his napkin, blotting around his mouth.

She continued to watch as the boys finished up their meal, threw some money on the table and walked back to the studio. Before the bus boys moved in, she was there taking the napkin Kevin had used only moments before. Holding it tight, she brought it to her face, gently placing her lips upon it imaging it was Kevin himself she was kissing.

Feeling eyes on her, she shoved the napkin in her jacket pocket, quickly making her way out of sight. She had to get home before anyone missed her; people would wonder exactly what she was up to if she was gone too long.
Taking one final look in the direction Kevin wandered off into, she was soon hailing a taxi and making her way home.

*****

He tapped his fingers on the desk as he waited for Danielle to answer the phone. After the third ring he started to get a little worried, she usually picks up the phone after the third ring. He waited, letting the fifth ring go, then the sixth, after the seventh her machine finally picked up and he hung up in frustration. Where in the world could she be on a Tuesday night?
Kevin started to pace around the room, where could she be on a Tuesday evening. It wasn't like Danielle to go out on a weeknight; sure, she did it a few times, but not frequently. Times like these were the reason he suggested that she have a cell phone, so he could get in contact with her when he started to worry.

The sound of the phone startled Kevin and he quickly answered making the ringing sound stop.

"Hello." His answer was curt, whomever it was he needed to get off the phone with them so he could try to call Danielle back.

"Why hello Kevin darling, should I go? Are you expecting a call from someone else?" The playful tone in her voice suggested a smirk on her face.

"I'm sorry Danielle; I thought you were someone else." Embarrassed he ran his hand through his hair and took a seat on his bed.

"Oh I see, you thought I was another one of your many girlfriends." She giggled.

"Ha ha," his laugh was fake but a smile beamed on his face. "Where were you like two minutes ago?" He asked becoming serious.

"I was actually walking up the stairs to my apartment when I heard the last couple of rings. I was over at Kristy's, she had to work late so she asked me to go by and feed and walk her dog." Kristy had called her that afternoon and asked the favor, Danielle happily obliged.
When they finally hung up it was an hour later and they had discussed everything they thought of any interest to the other person that occurred during their day.

Danielle left out the note she received the other day, laughing at it. It wasn't as if there was any threat from the note, it didn't even say anything that threatening. She drifted off to sleep thinking about centerpieces she could possibly have at the reception.

*****

A soft cackle escaped her lips, as Tracy found uniform of a janitor for the building Kevin was in now. She sighed as she thought of his perfection, everything from his hair down to his legs. She shivered with excitement at the possibility of getting closer to him. Holding him the night before for the picture was just a stepping-stone. She wanted closer to him, she wanted to be there as he slept and dreamt of that bitch that did not deserve him.

She carefully put the jumper on and put her hair up in a ponytail. She walked around to the back 'employees only' door and yanked it open. The hallways were lit dimly and a sparse few employees were around and those that were paid Tracy little attention as she made her way down the hallway and up the stairs.

Now that she passed the employee area, she had to be more careful. People would question her and her existence on particular floors; she crept along ducking into open rooms avoiding guards and the real janitors.
Finally, she reached the room she was looking for. She pulled a bobby pin out of her hair and bent down to begin picking the lock. She smiled as she worked, thinking how easy it was to find the procedure for unlocking a lock online. After a couple of minutes, she heard the click she was straining to hear and quickly she opened the door.

Tracy moved inside and scanned the room, she growled to herself as she realized the room had already been picked up and cleaned. There would be no remnants of the earlier occupants. She sighed to herself as she made her way around the room trying to find something, anything that would clue her into where she could find Kevin now.
She misjudged their schedule, but that would not happen again. She smiled to herself as she found an open book on one of the tables stating where Kevin was going to be for the next few weeks. She held it close to her chest as she got out of the janitor outfit and went back into the hall, quickly exiting the building and making her way home where her mom was surely wondering where she was now.