- Text Size +
A doorman opened the doors for me as I walked into the Plaza. It was a beautiful place the Plaza, theirs a rich couple from France checking in at the reception desk, he’s wearing an Armani suite, and his wife has the biggest diamond ring I’ve ever seen on her finger. That little receptionist with the bubbly voice is trying her best to speak French, she saw me walk past from the corner of her eye

“Oh Mr. Mclean, Mr. Mclean,” she yelled from her desk.

I turned around on my heels. “Yeah?”

“You have a message,” she said with her annoyingly happy voice.

“From who?”

“A Mr. Kevin Richardson, he came by looking for you, he told me to give you this and to tell you to call him as soon as you get back,” she said handing my a piece of paper.

“Thank you,” I said taking it from her and walking away.

I got back to my room. It was just the way I left it, dark and depressing. I threw my jacket on the back of the chair and read the note Kevin had left for me.

“Call us when you get back, we have a meeting tonight and you have to be there.”

“Oh shit!” I said to myself. The last thing I wanted to do was go to some damn party. I walked over to the bed and threw myself on it. I picked up the phone and dialed the number he left me.

It rang four times then a woman’s voice answered.

“Hello,” she said

“Hello, is this Kristin? It’s AJ.”

“Oh hey, we’ve been waiting for your call all day, let me get Kev for you,”

“It’s AJ,” I heard her say as she handed the phone to Kevin, “Hey man, how are you?” Kevin asked

“I’m alive, what’s this about a party?”

“Oh it’s a producer; he wants our opinion on some young singer.”

“Oh, that sounds thrilling, do I have to go?”

“YES!”

“Fine what time do I have to be there?”

“6:30, no later AJ, you have already stood us up once today, don’t make us look bad again.”

“Yeah, yeah I’ll be there,” I said and then hung up the phone. The clock read 4:54pm I had a little time left, I closed my eyes, but all I saw was that beautiful girl from the subway. I saw her leaning up against me; I saw my hand wrapped around her waist.

“Snap out of it Alex!” I told myself, sleeping obviously wasn’t going to be the answer, so I deiced I’d take a shower. I walked into the bathroom and locked the door behind me. I don’t know who’s going to get me, but you just never know. I turned on the water, there were nicely shaped bars of soup sitting on the sink, along with some fancy shampoo. I took off my clothes and stepped in the shower.
_____________________________________________________________

Lenny dropped me off at my apartment. It was in the heart of New York City. And it had been around for the turn of the century too I’m sure. There was no fancy doorman that opened the door for me, or any security at all for that matter. The best I got was Guss, he was a fat Irishman who sat in his little booth and watched soccer all daylong, or as I was corrected, “It’s called football lass,”

“Hello Guss,” I said as I walked past him.

“Ello lass,” he said without looking up at me.

“Is your team winning?”

“Aye, those bloody rotten rascals!”

My apartment was three flights up, there was no elevator and so you had to walk these steep stairs, the walls in the halls were a mix between green and yellow, and the hallway always smelled like Pines Sole, at least Guss kept it clean. I got to my door, Apartment 69 it read. You had to jiggle the lock a little to get the door open. I walked into my one bedroom apartment. It wasn’t actually as bad as it could be. There was a flashing red light on my answering machine. I pushed it.

“Hello Meg, we see you haven’t come home today. And if you were wondering its Izzy, oh and Nic’s here too! Hey Meg, so um… call us when you have the time, bye!”

Izzy and Nicola were my two best fiends. I’d probably had a nervous breakdown by now if it hadn’t been for the two of them. I dialed their number.

“Hello,” Nic answered the phone.

“Hey! Yeah, so can you guys come over?”

“What happened?” Nic asked startled

“Oh nothing serious, I just have a party to go to tonight and I might need you two.”

“Ok well give us about fifteen minutes and will be there!”

I hung up the phone and threw myself on the couch. “Oh god I don’t want to do this,” I said into the pillow. “What am I going to wear?”

I walked into my bedroom and opened the closet. Most of my paycheck went for clothes I believe. I might have a crappy apartment but I had the wardrobe of a Queen. I found my black leather jacket, and it reminded me of the man I had seen on the subway, he had been wearing a black leather jacket. He almost looked familiar, like I had seen him before. It could be possible, maybe that’s why he kept looking at me, and maybe he recognized me too…

I heard a tap, tap on my door. I opened it to see two beautiful girls smiling at me.

“Have no fear Izzy and Nic are here!” Izzy said as she strolled in the door.

“I don’t know if I should be happy or scared by that remark,” I said laughing as I closing the door behind them.

“So what kind of party is this?” Nic said leaning up against the doorjamb in my room

“It’s the kind I don’t want to go to,” I said throwing myself on the bed,

“Oh come on! Yes you do, now what are you going to wear,” Izzy said pulling me up by the arms.

“I don’t know, you pick,”

“Do I look like your personal servant?”

“Yep, now while you’re at it, feed me some grapes.”

“Oh fine then!” Izzy said as she opened the closet doors, “Jesus Meg, where did you get all these clothes?” she asked rummaging threw them.

“I don’t know, I bought them I guess,”

“No really?” she said rolling her eyes at me, “how about this one?” she said pulling out a slinky red dress.

“Naw, it’s a little to skanky,” Nic said from the doorway

I nodded my head in agreement.

“Alright then, how about this one?” she pulled out a short black strapless dress.

“I like it!” Nic said coming and sitting next to me on the bed.

“It works for me,” I said lying back down.

“Well, am I going to have to dress you too?” Izzy said standing over me.

“You just might!” I laughed, “I’m getting up, jeeze.”

I pulled off my shirt and took off my pants and slid the little black dress over my head.

“How do I look?” I said standing in front of the mirror straightening out my dress.

“Perfect!” they said in unison.

“Now, what should we do with your hair?” Izzy asked

“Put it up,” I said turning to her.

“Alright, get your little ass in here,” she said grabbing me by the hand and leading me in the bathroom.

She sat me in a chair in front of the mirror and started working away.

“So, who’s going to be at this party Meg?” Nic said jumping up on the sink.

“The Backstreet Guys or Men or something like that,”

“THE BACKSTREET BOYS?!” Izzy said with hair pins in her mouth.

“Yeah, that’s it.”

“Oh my god Meg, you know how exciting that is? I love the Backstreet Boys!” Nic said

“Really, what do they sing?”

“Oh Meg, where have you been, under a rock?” Izzy said twisting my hair in ever direction.

“I’ve heard of them, I just never paid much attention to them.”

“They sing great songs! Like The Shape of My Heart, Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely, and lots of other great ones!” Nic said kicking her heels against the sink.

“Come on Nic; let’s bust out a tune for our Meg,” Izzy said smirking

“Oh no, please spare me!” I laughed

“Fine then!” Izzy said hitting me softly with the brush

“Oh my god Izzy! My hair looks beautiful!” I said turning my head from side to side.

“I know, I’m good!” she said laughing,

There was a knock at the door,

“That’s probably Lenny; will you get it for me Nic?”

Lenny walked into the bathroom, he looked like a model for Ralph Lauren, you know how their always tall, dark and handsome. He reeked with elegance

“You look beautiful, are you ready?” he asked reaching out for my hand

“As ready as I’m ever going to be.” I said taking it.
_____________________________________________________________

By the time I got all cleaned up, it was already 6:00pm, “Oh god, Kevin’s going to have my head,” I thought. I rushed around looking for my shoes, I grabbed my jacket and I was out the door.

When I stepped outside it was poring! And of course my luck I didn’t have an umbrella. There was an elderly woman selling umbrellas for 10$ outside the hotel. I thought the price to be outrageous for an umbrella, but as they say, desperate times call for expensive measures. I bought an umbrella and tried to hail a taxi. One finally stopped for me, and I gave him the address. The producer’s house was in Westchester. By the time I got there it was ten minutes after 7:00. The producer didn’t live in a house; he lived in a fucking mansion! It was gated and I had to ring a little button for them to let me in. I gave the taxi driver a couple hundred to stay in the neighborhood. Then I went to the front door and rang the bell. A little French maid without the sexy outfit opened the door. She was a pretty little thing with a French accent, and a thought came to mind as I looked at her, maybe a little later I’d introduce her to the sexy outfit.

“Oh Monsieur Mclean, we have been waiting for you,” She said stepping to the side for me to enter.

I could hear the guy’s voices as I walked into the sitting room they were all gathered around the fireplace.

“I’m extremely sorry, the traffic was horrible,” I said shaking the producer’s hand

“Ah, here he is, see I told you he’d show. AJ I’d like to introduce you to Meg, she’s the young girl we’ve been hearing so much about,” The Producer said as he walked me toward the girl,

“Meg dear, this is AJ McLean,” When the girl turned around I saw what I’d thought I’d never see again, it was the beautiful girl I had seen on the subway this afternoon.

“Oh my god,” I said stunned

When she finally registered my face, she dropped her glass of wine, “It’s you…” she said starring at me.