- Text Size +
I woke to someone pulling open the curtains in my bedroom,

“Close those things!” I said putting a pillow over my head

“Come on, wakey, wakey!” she said pulling off my covers

“Isabel, remind me to take the keys away from you!”

“Um, NEVER!” she said laughing

“Why are you so chipper today? What are you on, speed?”

“No, its called crack darling; now get up!”

“Why it’s only 9:30,” I said wiping the sleep out of my eyes

“Yes, but by the time we get you dressed and ready it’ll be 10:30 then we won’t get to Brooklyn until 11:00 then we’ll only…” before she had time to finish I cut her off

“Really, Izzy that’s way to much math this early in the morning for me,” I said sitting up

“Well you get the point.”

“Clear as daylight,” I said getting up and walking into the kitchen

“So how’d your thing go the other night? You know the meeting with the Backstreet Boys,” she said following me

“Um, it was fine.”

“Fine, that’s all?” she said lifting her brow

“I’m going to do a demo CD thingy, the Backstreet Boys are picking up the bill,” I said plopping down on a stool

“Really, that’s awesome Meg!”

“Yeah, I thought so.”

She started rummaging threw all my cabinets looking for something to eat, “You really don’t have anything to eat in this apartment do you?”

“Not really.”

“Hmmm… Hey what’s up with Guss?” she said turning to face me

“Why?”

“Well, the past couple times I’ve seen him, he starts… Flirting with me?”

I started laughing, “That’s because you told him you loved him.”

“I DID NOT!”

“Yes you did!”

“When?”

“Remember that night I got you so damn drunk and I brought you back to my place, and when you walked in the door you were all like ‘I love you Guss” I said laughing hysterically

“I didn’t!”

“You did!”

“Oh god, that’s embarrassing,” she said shaking her head

“I thought it was funny myself.”

“Yeah, well you would! Now go get dressed so we can go!” she said pointing her finger to my bedroom


the city was buzzing, everyone’s in a hurry to get somewhere. Mothers have their children all bundled up and ready for school, men have there brief cases in one hand and a cell phone in the other talking about the portfolio for next week. I looked around and it seemed everyone had a purpose, something to do, somewhere to be. Me on the other hand what was my purpose? I had somewhere to be, but it wasn’t my purpose it was Izzy’s. Izzy was a photographer and was looking for a studio. She had found a man who wanted to use some of her photographs for an exhibit. I’d promised her I’d go with her. She was a beautiful photographer; she could capture the most intimate and private nature without even trying. She could take a picture of a mountain and it would seem sacred and sad. Everything about Izzy was sacred and beautiful, she had a smile that would brighten anyone’s day, and her laugh was the most innocent thing you’d ever hear.


She walked ahead of me, talking like a chatty Cathy; she finally turned around to see if I was still even behind her.

“Meg, are you listening?”

“Yeah, kinda sorta,” I replied softly

“What are you thinking about?”

“I was just thinking about how much I love you!”

“Oh Meg, how many times do I have to tell you? I’m never going to sleep with you!” she said laughing

“Hey, it was worth a shot!” I said looping my arm through hers.

we walked into a beautiful Brooklyn apartment studio, the whole apartment was windows, the floors were wood, and art hung on every inch of wall space. Photographs, sculptors, paintings you name it, it was here. I saw Izzy start to gnaw on her bottom lip.

“It’s ok Izz,” I whispered into her ear

A man dressed in Armani walked out of the back room, he was tall and thin. His hair was light brown and he had beautiful hazel eyes. He would have walked right passed us if he hadn’t seen Izzy,

“Excuse me,” he said walking over towards Izzy, “May I help you?”

“Oh, yeah I have an appointment with a-- Roger Jones?” she said reading off a piece of paper.

“Oh well then you’re in luck I’m Roger Jones.” he said reaching out his hand

“Oh, hello I’m Isabel Williams,” she said shaking his hand, “Oh and this is my friend Meg Anderson.” She said gesturing towards me

“It’s very nice meeting you both; I’ve been waiting for you Ms. Williams, do you have some of your photographs with you?”

“Yes,” she replied

“Wonderful, Ms. Anderson it will take us a while, feel free to look around and if you need anything feel free to ask Jessica,” he said gesturing to the little brunette that sat behind a desk in the corner. “Shall we?” he said gesturing to his office

“Will you be ok Meg?” Izzy asked turning towards me

“Yes, I’ll be fine you go ahead.”

I stood in the center of the room. A painting had caught my eye when we walked in. it was a water color, it was a girl sitting on the edge of a water fountain. She was gazing into it as if looking for something more then her reflection. Her hair was blonde, and it was blowing in the wind, she had a flower behind her left ear. Her eyes were troubled, as if she had to make a decision that would change her life forever… Or maybe her dog died for all I knew, it was a painting. I told myself, stop analyzing it. I glimpsed over at the clock on the wall and it read 11:45. I had promised AJ I would met him soon, and who knew how long this was going to take, so I deiced I’d just leave. I asked the receptionist behind the desk if she could tell Izzy I had left and out the door I went.
________________________________________________________________________
I had deiced to go to the coffee shop early, Meg had said she had something to do, and well I had nothing to do so I thought I’d do nothing at the coffee shop where we were supposed to meet. For the first time in the past few months I actually woke up at a decent time-- and without anyone doing it for me for that matter. I stirred my coffee and watched as the cream made a white swirl.

Sitting in the window seat were two lovers holding hands. And across from them were a married couple, he was reading the news paper and she a book, every once in awhile she’d rub her high heeled foot across his pant leg, very discretely.

“Is this seat taken?” I heard a voice say

“Oh I’m waiting for….. You,” I said looking up realizing it was her, “You’re early.”

“Yeah, my friend didn’t need me anymore,” she said pulling out the chair and sitting down

“Can I get you anything?” asked a waitress that came out of nowhere

“Oh, I’ll have a latté,” she said taking off her coat

“So,” I said playing with my straw

“So,” she said looking at me, “How are you today?”

“Fine, you?”

“Fine…” there was a long pause then Meg continued “if this is all we’re going to say it’s going to make a really long day!” she said laughing

“Then I guess we should find more to talk about. What did you do with your friend today, if you don’t mind my asking?”

“I went with her to put some of her photographs in an exhibit, she’s a photographer.”

“Really, is she good?”

“She’s excellent!”

Then silence, I watched her as she twirled a blonde strand of hair around her finger at the base of her neck, her eyes would drift from here to there. She was wearing a blouse that showed off her neck, she had a long neck and collar bones that stuck out when she hunched her shoulders, she’d catch my eye watching her and she’d lower her head with a crocked smile. We sat there for what seemed like hours, just looking at each other, watching each other. Finally she broke her silence.

“Are we going to sit here in awkward silence forever?”

“Was it awkward? I’m sorry.”

“Oh, it’s not your fault. How about we get out of here?”

“I’m up for anything.”

“Good,” she said grabbing her coat and laid a twenty on the table, “It’s on me today!” she said winking at me.


We ended up in a park, it was the end of March, and spring was almost here. The trees were almost starting to bud. The breeze was crisp, Meg wrapper her arms around her and shivered.

“Would you like my coat?” I asked

“Oh no, I’m fine,” she said smiling at me, “but thank you.”

“Are you sure? You seem cold.”

“Yes, I’m fine. I’ve been meaning to ask you, what does AJ stand for?”

“Alexander James.”

“That’s a beautiful name!”

“Thanks.” I said laughing

“I’m serious, why do you call yourself AJ?”

“I don’t know, I guess it just fit my character,” I said shrugging

“So are you trying to say it’s more of a bad boy name then Alexander?”

“Yeah basically!” I said laughing “And Meg? What’s that short for?”

“Margaret.”

“Margaret?”

“Yep, it doesn’t seem like me does it?”

“Not really.”

“Yeah, that’s why I don’t go by it; I’ve always gone by Meg. Where are you from?”

“Florida, Orlando to be exact.”

“Cool, I bet it’s never cold like this there,” she said holding herself tighter

“No, I can’t say it is; where in North Carolina are you from?”

“Charlotte,”

“Oh yeah, it’s pretty there.”

“Have you been?”

“Yes, on tour anyway.”

“Well I’m not actually from Charlotte, but from a little town outside of Charlotte.”

“Does your family still live there?”

“Yes, my parents do and so does my brother, he’s actually the District Attorney There.” she said stopping by a bench and sitting down.

“Really, wow that’s something.” I said sitting down next to her.

“Yeah, he’s a real prodigal son,” she said rolling her eyes

“Are you close to your family?”

“Not really, my parents think I’ve screwed up my life. They wanted me to be a doctor. Let’s just say I’m not the child that gets talked about at the Country Club,”

“I’m sorry,” I said putting my hand on her knee

“And you? Are you close to your family?”

“My mom, my dad left when I was four. My mother and grandparents raised me.”

“People should only be able to have kids if they have a license for them.”

“Ha! Is that right?”

“Yes, when I’m queen of the world there’ll be some changes!”

“Queen of the world? You’re going all out!” I said laughing

“You better believe it!”

“So my highness, what shall we do now?”

“Um, I don’t know you pick.”

“How would you like miniature golf?”

“Miniature golf, in this weather?” She said laughing.

“Why not?” I said standing up and reached my hand out for hers

“Why not,” she said taking it
___________________________________________________________________________

“What color ball do you want?” asked the guy behind the counter

“I’ll take the pink one,” Meg said pointing at the hot pink ball

“Oh come on! That’s such a girlie ball!” AJ said poking fun at her

“Ha-ha,” she said stinking out her tongue

“And for you sir, what color would you like?” the guy behind the counter asked while trying to suppress the urge to laugh.

“Um, the yellow one,”

“The yellow one? And you wanted to call me girlie,” she said rolling her eyes

“What? Yellow is not a girlie color!”

“Sure that’s what all guys say when they pick out something girlie,” she said bumping her hip against his.

“Whatever! Now you wanna go first?”

“Um, I don’t care.”

“Well a gentleman always let’s the lady go first,” he said in a lowered gesture

“Well, in that case I guess I’ll let you go first then!”

“I think I liked you better when you didn’t speak,” he said shaking his head

“That’s what they always say,” she said leaning up against her golf club, “Now you wanna make this interesting?”

“That depends, how interesting?”

“For every time you score, I’ll tell you something about myself, but every time you miss you tell me something about yourself and visa-versa. You game?”

“Oh yeah I’m game!” he said while easing up to his golf ball. He softly hit the ball and it went straight into the hole.

“Aw, Your turn!” he said grinning

“That was a lucky shot!”

“Yeah, whatever; so tell me something?”

“My middle name is Velma,” she said as she laid her ball down

“Margaret Velma is up to the tee, but will she be able to make the shot?” he said in an announcer’s voice

“Ugh, don’t call me that if you want to see tomorrow,” she said hitting the ball. It went straight until it was about two inches from the hole then it swerved left.

“Ouch!” AJ said smirking

“I think I need a replay, you distracted me!”

“Sorry darling it doesn’t work like that!”

“You suck you know that? Fine, I have the whole collection of Care Bears.”

“Aw, now that’s cute!” he smirked

“Would you please go, and try and miss will you?”

AJ eased himself up to his ball again, he slowly bent his legs a couple times then hit the ball, it went passed the little pond that was in the center and went right into the hole

“Now let’s see you do that!” he said amused by himself

“Next time I get to pick what we do,” she said underneath her breath

“Hmm, excuse me aren’t you supposed to say something about yourself?” he said leaning up against his golf club

“I hate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches,” she said while trying to mimic AJ’s moves, when she hit her ball, it flew over the pound and landed straight in the hole

“Ha! Go me, go me,” she said moving her arms in a circle

“It’s about god damn time! And how can you hate PB and J’s? That’s just un-American!”

“Um, yes and I believe it’s your turn,” she said smirking back at him

“I’ve dyed my hair almost every color!” he said laying his ball down

“Every color huh? Wow I didn’t even know you had hair, you know with you always wearing that hat and all!” she said sarcastically

“Oh yeah? Well just for that I’m not going to wear my hat at all today!” he said taking it off and throwing it to the side, his hair looked like he had just woken up, it was sticking up in ever direction. Meg started giggling

“What?” he said looking around

“Your hair, it’s a little messy!” she said putting her fingers up to her mouth

“Oh,” he said turning a shade of pink and smoothing it down with his hand

“Here let me help you,” she said laughing and walking over towards him, she softly ran her fingers threw it and smoothed it out,

“There,” she said stepping back to take a look at her masterpiece

“Does it look better?” he said lifting his golf club up to see if he could see his reflection

“Well as good as it’s going to anyway,” she said winking at him, “Come on it’s your turn.”

For the first times sense they started playing AJ missed the hole altogether when he hit the ball.

“Damn!” he said shaking his head

“What happened? You lose your mojo? She said smirking

“If I did it’s your fault! You made me take off my hat,” he said picking his hat up with his foot

“And what, you got power in that hat or something?” she said slating her eyes

“Maybe, Maybe not, maybe my powers in my hair,” he said winking at her

“Oh, alright Samson,” she said smirking, “tell me something, the rules are still intact.”

“I can play the bass guitar, drums and piano.”

“Really, my goodness, I can hardly play the piano,” she said hitting the ball.

“Um, that looks like a miss to me,” he said watching the ball shoot across the hole

“This game is starting to irritate me!”

“It’s that pink ball, its bad luck,” he said smirking

“Sure,” she rolled her eyes “let’s see, my favorite movie is The Godfather.”

“The Godfather, jeeze I’d never taken you to be so hardcore. You looked more like a Notebook girl.”

“Oh, I am a Notebook girl! Love that movie, but come on, the Godfather makes me an offer I can’t refuse!”

AJ started laughing, “You’re something else I tell you! Now this is the last shot, who ever make's it in the clowns mouth wins the whole game!”

“So it’s a winner takes all kinda deal?” Meg said laughing

“Yes,” he said over his shoulder

“Then let the best man win!”

________________________________________________________________________
“Ah that was fun!” Meg said stretching her arms over her head.

“Yeah, I can’t believe you actually won!”

“Well that’s what you get for saying ‘winner takes all’” she said laughing

“Yeah, well I never thought you’d actually make it in the clown’s mouth.”

“Well then, that’s what you get for underestimating me!”

“I guess so,” he said grinning

“What time is it?” she said realizing it was getting late

“It’s 7:30, why?”

“Oh nothing I just better be getting home, what are you doing tomorrow?” she asked

“Let’s see, my schedule is full of nothing!”

“Awesome!”

“It’s awesome that I don’t have a life?” he said smirking at her

“No, I mean it’s cool ‘because I have nothing to do either, you wanna meet tomorrow say around 11:00am?”

“Sure, where do you wanna meet?”

“Um, where are you staying?”

“The Plaza Hotel.”

“Good, how about I’ll come and get you?” she said hailing for a cab

“That’s fine I’ll see you tomorrow then,” he said opening the cab door for her