- Text Size +
Around 4:30 we left the creek to go pick up Carrie. I remembered forgetting to tell her that we were coming earlier, but I let the memory slide. When Nick and I were together, I dunno, I feel weird inside and I forget things. It’s weird, but anyway. When we arrived at Carrie’s house we were met by a surprise.

“Do you want me to come along D?” Nick asked.

“No,” I replied, “Carrie’s mom will probably badger you for an autograph or something.”

Nick nodded.

I then went up to the door and rang the bell.

“Yes?” Carrie’s mom asked as she opened the door.

“Hi, I’m Deanna…” I started.

“Oh you’re Carrie’s little friend,” Carrie’s mom interrupted.

That made me mad. Referring to me as little, I mean I would be 21 in December, and that’s not little at all.

I didn’t say any of this out loud however, I just nodded.

“What are you here for?” Carrie’s mom asked.

“I’m here to pick up Carrie,” I answered.

“But that’s not until seven, you really shouldn’t come until six to pick her up,” Carrie’s mom told me, “So why are you here so early?”

I had to think quickly. I couldn’t tell her that Nick was my boyfriend and he was taking us. She wouldn’t believe me.

“It’s a VIP thing I got, meet the Boys,” I lied.

“Oh she’ll love that,” Carrie’s mom replied, “She’s upstairs in her bedroom.”

I quickly went upstairs to Carrie’s room. I knew exactly where it was, since I’d been there so many times, I don’t even remember how many.

When I got up there I heard someone talking.

“Brian, which shirt do you think the real Brian will like,” the person asked, “this one, or this one?”

It had to be Carrie, no one else talked to Brian posters in her house, well at least I hope not.

Carrie paused for a minute then replied, “Oh I know, I can’t decided either.”

I then knocked on the door. Carrie jumped, looking quite startled.

“Oh Tac,” she exclaimed, “I thought you weren’t coming until six.”

“Change of plans,” I replied.

“What do you mean?” Carrie asked.

“We’re going to the venue now, c’mon,” I answered.

“But I’m not ready,” Carrie complained, “I don’t know what shirt to wear.”

“Are you ready otherwise?” I asked.

Carrie nodded.

I then looked at the shirts. One was black and the other was yellow.

Carrie held up the shirts, seeming to ask, which one?

“The yellow one,” I answered, “you could get over heated wearing the black one.”

Carrie nodded and replied, “Oh yeah, I should’ve thought of that a while ago.”

“Tell ya what,” I told her, “the car’s outside. I’ll be there, come down when you’re ready.”

Carrie nodded.

I then went downstairs and back to the car where Nick was.

“Let me guess,” Nick started, “trouble deciding what shirt to wear.”

I nodded.

“What is it with you guys and the shirts?” Nick asked.

I shrugged.

“I mean, I seriously thought you all looked fine at the meeting.” Nick finished.

“Really?” I asked.

“Well, except you…” Nick started.

“What, what, was I ugly?” I asked cutting him off.

“Naw, you were beautiful,” Nick disagreed.

I giggled and then he kissed me.

After we finished I turned and saw Carrie running down the steps.

“Hey Tac,” Carrie asked, “how come you’re in the passenger seat?”

Must have been dark out, I guess. Well, yeah. Winter in Colorado is dark. I giggled, then Nick turned on the headlights.

“Surprise, surprise,” He said.

“Oh wow,” Carrie exclaimed as she got in the backseat, “Is this some kind of ‘meet the Boys’ thing?”

I smiled.

“Naw,” Nick disagreed, “It’s a ‘you’re friend is going out with a Backstreet Boy so he gets you in early’ kind of thing.”

Carrie and I laughed at Nick’s joke.

As Nick was starting up the car he said, “I’m seriously not that funny you know.”

I shook my head, “Yeah, and you want us to think you don’t know what women want,” I joked as I turned up the radio.