- Text Size +
Dear Diary,
It’s just another quiet day in my quiet neighborhood…

*Ring* “Gosh won’t people leave me alone!” I then disconnected the phone.

As I was saying, it’s just another quiet day in…

*Ding dong* “We’re not home!” I yelled down the stairs to the person ringing our doorbell.

Now, it’s just another quiet day in my quiet neighborhood. I’m waiting for the meting to start at four. Why do we have these meetings so late? I mean we should have them at three so I wouldn’t be waiting around my house for hours.
Sincerely,
D

Oh hello! I didn’t notice you. You probably read my diary, didn’t you? It’s ok, be honest. You’re probably wondering a few things: why I call my neighborhood quiet, what meeting, and who is D? I’ll start with the basics. I’m D, my full name is Deanna, but call me D, okies? I live in the state of Colorado, I really love the Backstreet Boys, and I’m in a music club. Which brings me to the meetings part. We have weekly meetings on Saturdays around four. Now the quiet neighborhood thing is an inside joke, and you’ll never know what I mean by it. Oh look! After spending my time talking to you it’s time to bike to Hannie’s. Next question, who is Hannie? Hannie is my friend. She’s in the club, and is the Vice President, next to me because I’m the President. She and I started this club when a lot of my friends moved out here and we thought it would be a good way to get everyone together. Now our club is much more than that. Six months after we started we began making a world wide name for ourselves, we have a website and email address. People from all over want to be in our club. And the bands, well they love to visit us. We’ve met so many bands and it’s just amazing. That’s what I’m going to this meeting to do today, is to report on the concert that I had just gone to. Kris went with me, so she gets to share her opinion. Ok, Kris is a girl that I met in gym in sixth grade. She’s nice and funny, and fun to be around. I really like her a lot. Oh look I’m at Hannie’s house now. Let me take my green bike into her garage and then I’ll be jumping over the fence into her backyard. Do you want to come to the meeting too? Well, c’mon then!

“Hannie!” I called.

“Hey D,” Hannie replied, “what have you been up to?”

“Same old, same old,” I answered.

“It’s always the same in your quiet neighborhood,” Hannie added.

We laughed.

“I guess it is,” I agreed.

“No kidding,” Hannie replied.

By now the conversation was getting dull. Hannie looked at her feet and I looked over the fence. I turned away for a second and when I turned back over the fence “flew” my friend Carrie.

Now, I’ll explain this fast. Carrie is my friend since around December 1999. She’s the club’s Alternate and one of Brian’s biggest fans. That’s why she’s Tic and I’m Tac and together we are Tic Tac. It’s a play Frick and Frack, got that?

“Gosh Carrie!” Hannie exclaimed, “Last week you ran into my fence, this week you fly over it, what are you gonna do next?”

“I dunno Hannie,” Carrie replied, “What should I do next week Tac?”

“I dunno Tic. Maybe you could put on a talent show,” I answered.

“Hmmm, that's a good idea,” Carrie agreed.

Hannie looked at me like I was ruining her day.

“C’mon guys,” I prodded, “we’d better go to the clubhouse”

Our clubhouse is really the giant gazebo in Hannie’s backyard. It’s past the pine tree and across the small river that runs around the back of the house because of heavy rains the past few years. The gazebo is painted bright blue with white trimming. It has window shades around it incase it rains and a makeshift door, plus it has room for all 20 of us. In the gazebo is a green director’s chair, a small white table, a blue co-director’s chair, a desk with shelves, a yellow treasurer’s chair, a red secretary’s chair, a purple alternate’s chair, a shelf, a ceiling cover, and rugs and mats for the seating for everyone else.

When we got into the gazebo I got my page of tasks for the meeting and my Backstreet Boys cap, and then I sat down in my director’s chair. Hannie set the snacks on the little white table in the corner and sat in her co-director’s chair. Carrie got her pocket mirror and made sure her barrettes were strait and sat down in her purple chair.

As the time passed more of the members came in.

When Phanny came in she got together her treasury booklet and sat in the yellow chair in front of the desk.

Phanny, also called Crazy for obvious reasons, is the Treasurer of the club and a major AJ fan, so major she’s “Crazy” for him.

When the time for the meeting drew near Amy rushed in almost late, but off by just a little.

Amy is mine and Hannie’s friend from forever. She is the club’s Secretary, and the one who came up with the idea of a worldwide club, which Hannie and I just adopted on.
When she got to her desk she grabbed the secretary notebook and her pen off one of the desk’s shelves and took her seat in the red chair next to Phanny.

Everyone was laughing and giggling like they did at the beginning of every meeting. I did the only thing that would get their attention.

“Attention. This meeting has started,” I announced.

Like always they stopped talking and paid attention.

“Does anyone have any business?” I asked.

Phanny raised her hand and I nodded at her to continue.

“We need to collect dues,” Phanny told everyone.

Everyone groaned.

I wonder why. We pay dues, which are like taxes, to keep our club together and to buy stuff we need. Everyone really hates them.

Phanny went around and collected $2.50 for everyone and put it in the “money box,” which is actually a manila envelope, but anyway.

When Phanny finished she sat down and counted the money.

“Any other business?” I asked.

Amy raised her hand, and I nodded.

“The meting on the 21 has been cancelled,” Amy informed us.

“Everyone remember that,” I added.

“Business?” I asked one last time.

No one raised their hand so I crossed business off my list.

“Alright. As you know Kris and I attended the Barenaked Ladies concert,” I started.

Everyone nodded.

“I thought it was beautifully performed and ‘Pinch Me’ went wonderfully,” I finished. Then I looked at Cassie and smiled, her thoughts about the song had been different.

Everyone kept listening.

“So the rest of my report is in the club notebook, and now it’s Kris’ turn.”

Before Kris started Carrie held up the club notebook as if she was Vanna White.

“I thought it was preformed beautifully,” Kris added, “And my favorite song was “If I Had A Million Dollars.” My whole report is in the club notebook.”

Carrie/Vanna held up the notebook again.

“Alright Amy, who’s doing the next concert?” I asked.

“Like I care, unlike some of you,” Amy joked, “but it’s the Backstreet Boys with Black and Blue.”

The lot of us cheered.

“So who’s going with D?” Amy asked.

Everyone including Phanny and Carrie raised their hands.

“Alright, Phanny,” I asked, “how much money do we have?”

“I just finished counting and we have two fifty.” Phanny replied.

“We only have $2.50!” Hannie exclaimed sounding shocked.

“Yeah,” Amy added sounding equally as shocked, “isn’t that how much we paid in dues?”

“Yes it is,” I replied.

“Sorry,” Phanny replied, “I meant we had two hundred and fifty.”

Everyone let out a sigh of relief.

“That means we could all go!” Shamikka exclaimed.

Shammikka, also known as Mikka, is a major Howie fan and one of the first people to join the club. She thought it was a great idea before anyone else did.

Phanny and I looked at each other. And agreed.

“Mikka,” I replied, “I know that all of you would like to go very much but we have to save the club money for other things. So we’ll do what we do with the other concerts.”

Mikka nodded, as if she understood.

The meeting was coming to a close and I had to end it soon.

“Remember everyone, if you want to go put your name in the jar on your way out.”

Everyone nodded.

“This meeting is dismissed,” I concluded.

All of us who had a main job put our stuff away and headed out the door. Before Carrie and Phanny did they quickly slipped their names into the jar. As soon as she was done Carrie ran out to catch up with me.

“Tac!” She yelled.