- Text Size +
I followed Carrie inside.

“So what do we do?” I asked.

“It all involves a box,” Carrie told me.

I wondered why it involved a box, but after she put me in one of her mom’s cocktail dresses she made me close my eyes and put me in another room so I never found out why, that is until I heard a familiar voice.

“I hope it’s not a trick to get me to stop being mad at D,” I heard someone say.

I then realized that the plan was to get me to Nick, so we could make up. Sometimes I hate my friends.

Then box lid was lifted and Nick was standing right in front of me.

“Hi,” I said meekly.

“Well, um, this is a surprise…” Nick stuttered.

I nodded.

“So D, why are you here?” Nick asked.

“Actually, I don’t really know,” I admitted, “but I think it’s so we’ll make up, and not break up.”

“I’m listening,” Nick replied.

“See, the only reason I wouldn’t say yes or no really is because in truth I didn’t really know whether I wanted to go or not,” I told Nick.

“And that relates to the fact that you want to stay with the club, how?” Nick asked.

“See I wanted to go, but then I didn’t want to go, and then I dropped the cup, and then I freaked out, and then I got all mixed up inside and I…” I started explaining.

“Hold on D,” Nick commented, “you’re starting to look pale.”

I nodded, yeah I figured I was getting pale, cuz I was getting scared too.

“How ‘bout we go sit on the couch and talk about this,” Nick suggested, “so incase you do faint you’ll already be sitting down.”

I nodded, so I guess Nick really did like me, just not my fear.

When we got to the couch Nick starting talking.

“So D, are you trying to tell me that you want to come?” He asked.

I didn’t know what to say. I guess Nick must have seen the worried expression on my face.

“D, I know you don’t know what to say,” Nick told me, “but please give me an honest answer, not a fake one.”

I thought about it for a minute, but still didn’t answer. Nick grabbed my hand as if to say, it’ll be ok.

“So D, do you want to come?” Nick asked again.

“Maybe,” I answered.

Nick nodded.

We sat there in silence for a while, and then Nick finally spoke.

“You’re not the bravest person without your friends around you, are you?” Nick asked.

“No,” I answered, “if you remember I didn’t talk very much at the Gap, but you guys still spoke directly to me.”

“That’s because I really, I mean really, like you,” Nick told me, “I just wanted to be with you.”

I nodded.

“It’s funny,” Nick told me.

“What’s funny?” I asked.

“This reminds me of our song ‘I Need You Tonight’,” Nick answered.

“Almost exactly,” I agreed.

Then we laughed and Nick smiled.

“What?” I asked.

“That’s the first time I’ve even gotten a smile out of you since we got to Carrie’s house,” Nick told me.

“And what does that have to do with anything?” I asked.

“You don’t know how beautiful you are with a smile on your face,” Nick told me.

After he said that Nick leaned in to kiss me. It would have been a perfect moment, but Howie had to walk in.

“Woah!” Howie exclaimed.

Nick then realized he was there and drew back.

“What do you want Howie?” he asked.

“How’d she get here so fast?” Howie asked, referring to me.

“She flew,” Nick replied sarcastically.

Howie got the picture and asked, “So what was in the box?”

“Something special,” Nick answered and put his arm around me.

Howie looked confused, “So really, what was it?”

“None of your business,” Nick told him.

Howie then walked off. As he walked away he muttered, “Probably a lifetime supply of condoms.”

After Howie left Nick started laughing.

“What’s so funny?” I asked.

“Howie thinks the box was full of condoms,” Nick answered.

He then snorted with laughter. I laughed along but felt uncomfortable.

“I mean what would I do with a lifetime supply of condoms?” Nick asked.

“Probably go out, get drunk, and take whatever girls you find to your car.” I suggested.

“Even if you don’t come to Cali doesn’t mean I’d cheat on you,” Nick told me, “I’ll always love you. No matter where you live.”

I shrugged. I mean, do we seriously ever believe boys when they say that? Most likely… not.

“Oh D!” Nick exclaimed.

“What?” I asked.

“How ‘bout tomorrow we don’t talk about Cali at all,” Nick suggested.

“Ok,” I agreed.

“So if you want to come have one of your friends drive you and meet us here,” Nick told me.

He then handed me a piece of paper with an address on it.

“Oh, and be there by 10 in the morning,” Nick added, “our bus driver wants to get an early start.”

I nodded.

Nick and I talked the whole night about the trip, that I might take, what Howie thought was in the box, what we should do tomorrow, and tons of things. I think sometime around midnight we fell asleep, but I don’t know, because all I remember is being in Nick’s arms.